Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa
9530 Murray Dr
La Mesa, CA 91942Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gofishanthonys.com/
- Phone: 6194630368
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa
Anthony's Fish Grotto, located on its own private lake in La Mesa, offers delicious food, amazing service, and unmatched atmosphere. A complete menu offers both seafood and other meat choices. The restaurant is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. You can also enjoy cocktails in the bar or on the heated lake view patio. If you want to bring your dog along, there are special lakefront tables where you and your dog can enjoy and unwind.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa - Best Restaurants in La Mesa ›
Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (33)great for outdoor dining (31)neighborhood gem (22)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (18)great for lunch (17)good for groups (12)romantic (8)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (6)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Best SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Just a great place to have Great Seafood with the lake and the ducks it is a great place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Pleasant SupriseDineoutDined on 8/22/2014We stayed in the hotel next door and were not expecting anything much. We were very impressed with ambiance and the food was very good. I especially liked it that they had some choices for lighter appetites. The service was excellent and we were very satisfied with dining experience our last night in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish RestaurantLynneDined on 8/10/2014Anthony's has been a favorite of ours for over 50 years. The food is always good. We love their chowders are both excellent. We had New England, but would have been happy with their Manhattan and would have had it we thought about calories. We both had the shore combo, also a favorite. It has three kinds of fish and two sides. The fish was salmon, halibut and sole. All great choices. We sat in the patio and it was very nice out. It has recently been refurbished. If you are a dog lover you can bring your dog and sit out by the lake. It is a very nice setting. Our only complaint is the prices keep going up but I guess they are doing that everywhere. Service is great also and seems to be that way every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversaryjavadogs50dinersDined on 8/10/2014I chose Anthony's for our anniversary dinner. Making the reservation online was easy enough to do. When we arrived the hostess found us a table by the window which was perfect. After a delicious meal and complimentary dessert served by our #1 waitress we felt as if our anniversary was complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Dining at its FinestMartyDined on 8/7/2014We love dining in the outdoor area next to the fountain. It is a lush and beautiful garden area with plenty of shade and a wonderful spot to bring your faithful companion. Friendly wait staff who always have a bowl of water waiting for my dog as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special San Diego EstablishmentDinerdelightVIPDined on 7/29/2014I so enjoy going to Anthony's Fish Grotto with my friends & family for over 20years and will always be a loyal fan... They are a great family business to the San Diego community. Thanks for keeping the prices reasonable & delightful staff & We will keep coming back for more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with the ProsGreatExpectationsDined on 7/29/2014I took some friends for lunch and it's immediately apparent that this restaurant is run by professionals. The service was efficient and polite. The food was fresh and flavorful. The only negative comment I have is that the décor in this place is not good. It feels old and outdated. Fake rock and artificial ocean props are just tacky. It's time for a make-over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time at Anthonys La MesaLiveLaughLoveDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I like to take our dog Sugar with us everywhere and we are so pleased that Anthonys in La Mesa is Pet friendly! The outdoor seating and atmosphere is very pleasant, a beautiful little lake hidden right here in La Mesa! The staff is courteous and friendly and the food is delicious. We highly recommend Anthonys to all dog lovers especially, and everyone in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't worth the price2priceynothappyDined on 7/14/2014It was ok. You expect more when you walk into such a pretty restaurant. Food tasted exactly like red lobster to me. Had the salmon pasta and there was too much sauce. My father got the seafood trio and it was expensive so we figured he'd get a lot of food with it. Nope. Had to stop somewhere after because he was still hungry and didn't want to spend another $35. Just another chain I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- A nice afternoon/evening outRoknRbnDined on 7/11/2014My sister and I chose to "grab a bite" @ Anthony's before heading downtown to a concert. I've dined there since the early 70's and always enjoyed the food selections and incredible ambience and view. Highly recommend the spinach & artichoke dip w/shrimp served with baked pita chips as a starter. The wedge salad was delicious. The scallops, in my opinion, could have a bit more flavor but were still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedMarvVIPDined on 7/3/2014I think the food is way over-priced. My salmon was good but way too expensive. I eat out a lot for seafood and Anthony's charges too much . My husband had the fish n chips and got 4 pieces of fish for $16.95. Too expensive! Brigantine is better and more reasonable .Special Features:
- Perfect for dinner with our familybarbjoeDined on 7/2/2014I made the reservation and everything was just as I asked, even had a window table as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PresentZambos2eatDined on 7/1/2014We took our Aunt out for her 81st birthday, five of us in all... and we dined like kids. Appetizers, cocktails, desserts, and had the best time. The service was nice, the food was absolutely delicious and the ambiance was positively lovely! My only criticism was my husband ordered the Scallop plate and for the price, he should have had 5 scallops instead of 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTEDKalihiDined on 6/13/2014WALKING INTO THE RESTAURANT THE FISH ODER WAS OVERWHELMING.THE QUALITY OF THE FOOD DID NOT MATCH THE EXPENSIVE PRICES. THE LOBSTER TAILS WAS TOPPED WITH SOME KIND OF SEASONINGS AND OVER COOKED. THE SHRIMP SCAMPI WAS PUT OVER PENNE PASTA AND WAS VERY DRY. THE RICE PILLAF WAS COLD AND TASTED LIKE IT CAME OUT OF A BOX. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT TO ANYONE.Special Features:
- Great food with a lake viewjulietDined on 6/6/2014This is one of our all time favorite restaurants, consistently excellent food and great service. Love this place, nice relaxing view of the lake and ducks with inside or outside dining (pet friendly outside).Special Features:
- Great food and beautiful viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014We met for a special occasion and everyone in our party enjoyed the entrees, which ranged from salads to seafood to pasta. Service was very good as well.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindgrandmamoDined on 5/18/2014We traveled from North San Diego to meet relatives here in San Diego. It was a fabulous surprise to find this special restaurant in La Mesa. Not only did they easily accommodate a party of 9, but they were gracious about the three children. The food was very good, the service and ambiance was exceptional. We would make the drive anytime for this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsMetroGuyDined on 5/17/2014While the restaurant itself seems a little dated, Anthony's remains among our top three favorite seafood restaurants in San Diego County. The food is always fresh and well prepared, and our server helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too longWaiting4GodotDined on 5/16/2014The food was excellent but the wait for it diminished the value of the food. I'd return to a restaurant that had moderate to good food and excellent service before I'd return to one that served excellent food but with poor service.Special Features:
- Mother's Day DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed my mother's day at Anthony's Fish Grotto in La Mesa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated for mothers dayDollfaceDined on 5/11/2014Service was not that good. very busy food not hot!!Special Features:
- The following 37 reviews are from the Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa reviews archive.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/21/2014We had lunch there and the menu items were very good and the food even better. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after 50 yearsPilgrimDined on 4/12/2014Anthony's is still delivering great food and dining experiences after all these years. My wife and I have both been coming to Anthony's for about 50 years and still love it today. Now they have a nice outdoor dining area also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangedAnthonyDined on 3/10/2014The food has changed a lot. Sourdough rolls are no longer made on site like they used to be. I had grilled herbed garlic shrimp, which was totally tasteless. Even the cocktail sauce tasted water downed. I substituted a baked potato for white rice and it was very dry; perhaps yesterday's potato that was warmed up. My husband and I use to love this restaurant and go there frequently since it is in our neighborhood, but we will find another one to go to now. His meal was just "OK", he said. We had been going there for over 20 years! Disappointed???? Very much so!!!!Special Features:
- Dog friendlyDianeDined on 3/8/2014We sat inside but saw the dog friendly area next to the pond and wished we had brought our dogs. Had a nice grass area and beautiful view. The inside was dated and could use some updating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little loudMImiDined on 2/25/2014Our waitress nice as could be spoke really loud and was not really attentive to our needs. We would ask for something and she would forget plus everytime we would try to get her attention she would say I'll be back with you 10 min later. Nice lady though but aggressive to the point where we were undecided about what to order and she would say I'll come back when your ready and we had questions or if we asked her a MimiSpecial Features:
- Just like I rememberedMemorableDined on 2/15/2014I haven't been to Anthony's in almost twenty years but it's just like I remembered. The decor hasn't changed much but I think that's what adds to the charm. The service was nice and our food was delicious! Our favorite part was simply how quiet it was. It may seem silly but it was SO nice to have a great meal and conversation without having to yell above the piped in music or other diners. Don't get me wrong the places was very busy and yet it felt like we had the place to ourselves. We left having had a perfect date night. Thanks Anthony's for a memorable evening. Next time we are in town we'll be sure to stop by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good but had potentialsquidsquibsDined on 2/14/2014Wanting a romantic Valentine day meal to propose I selected this restraunt because others had recommended it. We had reservations for 8:00PM and were not seated until almost 9:00PM. We asked for a booth when we arrived but were told it would be an additional wait if we wanted a booth when they called us. We almost left but decided to stay and take a table. There we found out that all the tables around us had no reservations and had waited just as long as we had waited. I was more inquisitive, of the approximate 10 different tables total I asked, only one had reservations but even they had Reservations at 7:00PM said they were seated at approx 8:15:PM. Very sad that in my opinion management/front desk let down many customers this nite!
- Valentines day dinnerSailindudeDined on 2/14/2014We were informed when we got there for our 8:00 P.M. reservation that Anthony's does not take reservations, but that we had preferred seating over those who had just walked in, and that they were running 30 minutes behind. The food was good but scimpy and the service was terrible. I had to stop the bar hop and ask for our table to be wiped and to order drinks then when we went to our table we were ignored and again had to ask for service. Altogether it took an hour and a half for dinner, then we had to go find our waiter to get our check, and we never got the dessert promised us because of the long waits and having run out out of Swordfish and not telling us when we ordered it.Special Features:
- First and last time..TerribleDined on 2/14/2014Had a reservation at 7:30, didn't get seated until 8:15. Food took forever and was sub par, the only thing that was good was the drinks... and you can't really screw that up. I will never go here again, even if I have a gift card.
- Valentine's Dinner at Anthony's LMOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Arrived at the restaurant and informed the hostess of my reservations (name and time). She confirmed my reservation and informed me that there would be a 20 minute wait. 20 turned into 40 minutes and I figured they were busy due to it being Valentine's Day and a Friday night. My guest went to the hostess booth (different hostess there at the time) to check on our reservation and our name was not even on the list. The hostess kindly apologized and ensured we would be seated right away. Other than that, the food was delicious and the waitress was great. I would return to Anthony's La Mesa.Special Features:
- Valentines DaySKJKDined on 2/14/2014Had reservations on the always busy Valentines Day. Had a 45 minute wait for a table, but this was not unexpected, found a table in the bar and had a couple drinks waiting. Staff was courteous and food was good as always. Been coming here 40 years, since I was a kid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why bother with reservations?TommyDDined on 2/14/2014A friend offered to let us go out on Valentines w/o our 6 month old,I made Opentable res. for 6:30.Arrived before the reservation time.TOTAL chaos.I got to the podium and told the woman I have a reservation for 6:30 and my name.She said ok looked at her computer and wrote my name down, then turned away.At this point, I didn't know what was happening.I was never given an ETA.Walk ins asking how long to be seated,45 minutes was the answer.There were no open seats to sit, so we stood for ~15 minutes until a seat opened.While waiting, we were told over200 reservations rec'd by a hostess.After 35 min;finally seated.Why have reservations if you allow more than your capacity,and still allow walk ins.Good thing we didn't have to pay the babysitter!Special Features:
- Can't handle a crowded nightPeteDined on 2/14/2014Cool place good ambiance but they were completely inept at handling a crowd. We made a reservation for two at 6 pm and when we got there they told us we didn't really have a reservation just priority seating.... The people were nice the food was good but if I owned the place I'd be embarrassed and fire the manage....
- excellent Valentine dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014excellent Valentine dinning with my sweety, seemed alittle under staffed, but other than awesome!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anthony's is definitely popularvdine214Dined on 2/14/2014Anthony's is definitely popular w/ the older crowd 60+ but it is nice, food good, lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was fantastickatzmiowDined on 2/14/2014The only problem was that when we arrived for our reservation at 5pm we were told that they don't take reservations. We had to wait about 20 mins to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husband's BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Our server was friendly, funny,and very atendtive. The hostess to the the young man who poured are water. It was a really nice evening. My husband and I enjoyed ourselves very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was too brightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/1/2014The restaurant was too brightly lit. Made it look like a cafeteria instead of a nice place. If they dimmed the lights a bit, it would make a huge difference. It was noisy and kid friendly. Definitely not romantic.Special Features:
- excellent foodflyfreeDined on 1/31/2014I was on a date for the first time. We really enjoyed ourselves. The only bad thing was the waitress was flirting with my date the! Whole time. Which I did not appreciate. Other was it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.