Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa
9530 Murray Dr
La Mesa, CA 91942Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gofishanthonys.com/
- Phone: 6194630368
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa
Anthony's Fish Grotto, located on its own private lake in La Mesa, offers delicious food, amazing service, and unmatched atmosphere. A complete menu offers both seafood and other meat choices. The restaurant is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. You can also enjoy cocktails in the bar or on the heated lake view patio. If you want to bring your dog along, there are special lakefront tables where you and your dog can enjoy and unwind.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa - Best Restaurants in La Mesa ›
Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (39)great for outdoor dining (34)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (24)great for lunch (22)good for groups (20)kid-friendly (18)romantic (11)fit for foodies (11)great for brunch (9)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Horrible!!!ORnurseDined on 9/26/2014This place was horrible, our reservation was for priority seating which was at 20 minutes!! Then they wanted to know if I wanted a booth in the back if I didn't want to wait. I had never been there, how was I to know what sest was horrible or not. The waitress kept saying they had been slammed like it was an excuse and what I ordered was not what was set in front of me! What's the point of a restaurant week menu if your not going to serve what is on it. By the way, "we ran out" should have been mentioned BEFORE so I could have made a different choice!!!Special Features:
- A Hidden Gem in La Mesa!mikeinsancarlosDined on 9/26/2014I read other reviews about Anthony's Seafood Grotto, La Mesa having a lake view but I wondered (knowing the location) how could this place have a view of Lake Murray? Well it doesn't... It has it's own lake! Complete with waterfall and ducks. Amazing out-door dining. This place can't be more dog-friendly either. There's an entire dog area where patrons can dine with their pooches. There's a dog-relief area and what looked to be a dog run/area. The restaurant itself has a very funky-ambient vibe... definitely a grotto that you enter through a giant shell. The backside of the mid-century-modern building overlooks the lake, in fact it appears to sit over the lake. Food was good (lunch), but I'd like to try the happy-hour fare.Special Features:
- Local, friendlyArtapaloozaDined on 9/25/2014This is a local gem. Great menu and friendly staff. I do not get here enough, but always enjoy my visits. Day or night this is the place I like to go for quality dining experience. I highly recommend this for local residents and for travelers alike. A great taste of San Diego.Special Features:
- Midweek DiningRonODined on 9/24/2014Went on Thursday evening (7pm) took advantage of the restaurant week menu. Server was Genevieve, excellent and personable. Food was wonderful, great table by window. Will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic scenery and foodamyvDined on 9/24/2014Went during restaurant week. Food was exotic and delicious. Sat outside overlooking the lake. Very relaxing. Can't wait to go back for happy hour.Special Features:
- Always good dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Menu appears to be much more limited than in the past. We miss the "Lobsterettes" Food is always fresh and good.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/22/2014First time in restaurant. Very attractive. Lake view was very surprising and pleasant. Food was good and portions very fine for the price. Well kept and good atmosphere restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We could talkGert24Dined on 9/21/2014It was nice for a large family celebrating a 91st birthday. We could actually hear each other. Food was good, blu cheese dressing needs a bit of work. Bake potato excellent. Service was good, a fun night for all.Special Features:
- Love Anthony'sfish4usDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I have always loved to eat at La Mesa Anthony's, and this time I took a friend who had not dined there before. We both loved our dinners. I really enjoy looking out over the lake and watching the ducks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartyDined on 9/11/2014Beautiful outdoor setting; delicious food; great service...one of our favorite places to go.Special Features:
- Best SeafoodKeclemDined on 9/8/2014Love the lake, cucks and of course the great seafood. Can make it all taste great Love the Squid steak and the Blackened fish. Just a great place to eat in La Mesa.Special Features:
- Best SeafoodKeclemDined on 8/30/2014Just a great place to have Great Seafood with the lake and the ducks it is a great place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Ahhh-Mazing! ❤SairaDined on 8/24/2014I absolutely loved my visit to Anthony's. Because I was planning an "under the sea" theme party for my big sister, this place was the perfect dining spot for the evening. When I entered the place, from the floor to the ceiling, the place looked like an underwater cave filled with such a romantic ambiance: Dimmed lights, quiet dining, large windows with a beautiful pool of scenery, romantic music, amazing service and to top it all off, THE FOOD..OOOH MY THE FOOD.❤ Words can't describe how delicious the food was that day. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.. To anyone thinking of trying this place out, GO. You won't regret it *Just have enough money to eat comfortably (like 50 to 100 per person). (fine dining restaurants=$$$)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SupriseDineoutDined on 8/22/2014We stayed in the hotel next door and were not expecting anything much. We were very impressed with ambiance and the food was very good. I especially liked it that they had some choices for lighter appetites. The service was excellent and we were very satisfied with dining experience our last night in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish RestaurantLynneDined on 8/10/2014Anthony's has been a favorite of ours for over 50 years. The food is always good. We love their chowders are both excellent. We had New England, but would have been happy with their Manhattan and would have had it we thought about calories. We both had the shore combo, also a favorite. It has three kinds of fish and two sides. The fish was salmon, halibut and sole. All great choices. We sat in the patio and it was very nice out. It has recently been refurbished. If you are a dog lover you can bring your dog and sit out by the lake. It is a very nice setting. Our only complaint is the prices keep going up but I guess they are doing that everywhere. Service is great also and seems to be that way every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversaryjavadogs50dinersDined on 8/10/2014I chose Anthony's for our anniversary dinner. Making the reservation online was easy enough to do. When we arrived the hostess found us a table by the window which was perfect. After a delicious meal and complimentary dessert served by our #1 waitress we felt as if our anniversary was complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Dining at its FinestMartyDined on 8/7/2014We love dining in the outdoor area next to the fountain. It is a lush and beautiful garden area with plenty of shade and a wonderful spot to bring your faithful companion. Friendly wait staff who always have a bowl of water waiting for my dog as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special San Diego EstablishmentDinerdelightVIPDined on 7/29/2014I so enjoy going to Anthony's Fish Grotto with my friends & family for over 20years and will always be a loyal fan... They are a great family business to the San Diego community. Thanks for keeping the prices reasonable & delightful staff & We will keep coming back for more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with the ProsGreatExpectationsDined on 7/29/2014I took some friends for lunch and it's immediately apparent that this restaurant is run by professionals. The service was efficient and polite. The food was fresh and flavorful. The only negative comment I have is that the décor in this place is not good. It feels old and outdated. Fake rock and artificial ocean props are just tacky. It's time for a make-over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time at Anthonys La MesaLiveLaughLoveDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I like to take our dog Sugar with us everywhere and we are so pleased that Anthonys in La Mesa is Pet friendly! The outdoor seating and atmosphere is very pleasant, a beautiful little lake hidden right here in La Mesa! The staff is courteous and friendly and the food is delicious. We highly recommend Anthonys to all dog lovers especially, and everyone in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't worth the price2priceynothappyDined on 7/14/2014It was ok. You expect more when you walk into such a pretty restaurant. Food tasted exactly like red lobster to me. Had the salmon pasta and there was too much sauce. My father got the seafood trio and it was expensive so we figured he'd get a lot of food with it. Nope. Had to stop somewhere after because he was still hungry and didn't want to spend another $35. Just another chain I wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- A nice afternoon/evening outRoknRbnDined on 7/11/2014My sister and I chose to "grab a bite" @ Anthony's before heading downtown to a concert. I've dined there since the early 70's and always enjoyed the food selections and incredible ambience and view. Highly recommend the spinach & artichoke dip w/shrimp served with baked pita chips as a starter. The wedge salad was delicious. The scallops, in my opinion, could have a bit more flavor but were still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over pricedMarvVIPDined on 7/3/2014I think the food is way over-priced. My salmon was good but way too expensive. I eat out a lot for seafood and Anthony's charges too much . My husband had the fish n chips and got 4 pieces of fish for $16.95. Too expensive! Brigantine is better and more reasonable .Special Features:
- Perfect for dinner with our familybarbjoeDined on 7/2/2014I made the reservation and everything was just as I asked, even had a window table as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PresentZambos2eatDined on 7/1/2014We took our Aunt out for her 81st birthday, five of us in all... and we dined like kids. Appetizers, cocktails, desserts, and had the best time. The service was nice, the food was absolutely delicious and the ambiance was positively lovely! My only criticism was my husband ordered the Scallop plate and for the price, he should have had 5 scallops instead of 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTEDKalihiDined on 6/13/2014WALKING INTO THE RESTAURANT THE FISH ODER WAS OVERWHELMING.THE QUALITY OF THE FOOD DID NOT MATCH THE EXPENSIVE PRICES. THE LOBSTER TAILS WAS TOPPED WITH SOME KIND OF SEASONINGS AND OVER COOKED. THE SHRIMP SCAMPI WAS PUT OVER PENNE PASTA AND WAS VERY DRY. THE RICE PILLAF WAS COLD AND TASTED LIKE IT CAME OUT OF A BOX. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT TO ANYONE.Special Features:
- Great food with a lake viewjulietDined on 6/6/2014This is one of our all time favorite restaurants, consistently excellent food and great service. Love this place, nice relaxing view of the lake and ducks with inside or outside dining (pet friendly outside).Special Features:
- The following 43 reviews are from the Anthony's Fish Grotto - La Mesa reviews archive.
- Great food and beautiful viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014We met for a special occasion and everyone in our party enjoyed the entrees, which ranged from salads to seafood to pasta. Service was very good as well.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindgrandmamoDined on 5/18/2014We traveled from North San Diego to meet relatives here in San Diego. It was a fabulous surprise to find this special restaurant in La Mesa. Not only did they easily accommodate a party of 9, but they were gracious about the three children. The food was very good, the service and ambiance was exceptional. We would make the drive anytime for this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsMetroGuyDined on 5/17/2014While the restaurant itself seems a little dated, Anthony's remains among our top three favorite seafood restaurants in San Diego County. The food is always fresh and well prepared, and our server helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too longWaiting4GodotDined on 5/16/2014The food was excellent but the wait for it diminished the value of the food. I'd return to a restaurant that had moderate to good food and excellent service before I'd return to one that served excellent food but with poor service.Special Features:
- Mother's Day DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed my mother's day at Anthony's Fish Grotto in La Mesa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated for mothers dayDollfaceDined on 5/11/2014Service was not that good. very busy food not hot!!Special Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/21/2014We had lunch there and the menu items were very good and the food even better. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after 50 yearsPilgrimDined on 4/12/2014Anthony's is still delivering great food and dining experiences after all these years. My wife and I have both been coming to Anthony's for about 50 years and still love it today. Now they have a nice outdoor dining area also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangedAnthonyDined on 3/10/2014The food has changed a lot. Sourdough rolls are no longer made on site like they used to be. I had grilled herbed garlic shrimp, which was totally tasteless. Even the cocktail sauce tasted water downed. I substituted a baked potato for white rice and it was very dry; perhaps yesterday's potato that was warmed up. My husband and I use to love this restaurant and go there frequently since it is in our neighborhood, but we will find another one to go to now. His meal was just "OK", he said. We had been going there for over 20 years! Disappointed???? Very much so!!!!Special Features:
- Dog friendlyDianeDined on 3/8/2014We sat inside but saw the dog friendly area next to the pond and wished we had brought our dogs. Had a nice grass area and beautiful view. The inside was dated and could use some updating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little loudMImiDined on 2/25/2014Our waitress nice as could be spoke really loud and was not really attentive to our needs. We would ask for something and she would forget plus everytime we would try to get her attention she would say I'll be back with you 10 min later. Nice lady though but aggressive to the point where we were undecided about what to order and she would say I'll come back when your ready and we had questions or if we asked her a MimiSpecial Features:
- Just like I rememberedMemorableDined on 2/15/2014I haven't been to Anthony's in almost twenty years but it's just like I remembered. The decor hasn't changed much but I think that's what adds to the charm. The service was nice and our food was delicious! Our favorite part was simply how quiet it was. It may seem silly but it was SO nice to have a great meal and conversation without having to yell above the piped in music or other diners. Don't get me wrong the places was very busy and yet it felt like we had the place to ourselves. We left having had a perfect date night. Thanks Anthony's for a memorable evening. Next time we are in town we'll be sure to stop by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good but had potentialsquidsquibsDined on 2/14/2014Wanting a romantic Valentine day meal to propose I selected this restraunt because others had recommended it. We had reservations for 8:00PM and were not seated until almost 9:00PM. We asked for a booth when we arrived but were told it would be an additional wait if we wanted a booth when they called us. We almost left but decided to stay and take a table. There we found out that all the tables around us had no reservations and had waited just as long as we had waited. I was more inquisitive, of the approximate 10 different tables total I asked, only one had reservations but even they had Reservations at 7:00PM said they were seated at approx 8:15:PM. Very sad that in my opinion management/front desk let down many customers this nite!