5316 N Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60640Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://anteprimachicago.net/
- Phone: (773) 506-9990
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Pedro Aguilar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For all catering requests contact our sevice, Foodlust at www.food-lust.com
- Private Party Facilities: Anteprima is available seven days a week for lunch parties of up to sixty people. Dinner parties would be at buyout prices. Contact Marty Fosse or Doug Kotoske for details.
- Private Party Contact: Marty Fosse 7735069990x
A word from Anteprima
Anteprima's regionally inspired, rustic cooking comes from recipes we've learned in homes throughout Italy. We search the finest ingredients obtainable, buying from local and organic producers whenever possible. Buon appetito! Anteprima is now offering a three course fixed price menu of your choosing, available Sunday through Thursday. Choose any combination of starter, entree and dessert off our regular menu or specials, or, starter, half pasta and entree, with no dessert, all for $29.00. There is a 5.00 up charge on certain items. Visit our new restaurant, Azzurra!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anteprima reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (96)fit for foodies (76)special occasion (50)romantic (49)great for outdoor dining (48)notable wine list (42)hot spot (18)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/18/2014It was a cold Tuesday night in Chicago, but the resturaunt was warm and welcoming. Food was awesome, We did the $29 3 course meal, which was not restricted...anything from the menu was okay. 1st course stuffed calami, fresh and well seasoned. The homemake pasta was best. I order the tagiatelle with pancetta. (wish I had order this as my main meal. Then I had the fish special, good, but not as good as the pasta!!Special Features:
- Interesting Italian RestaurantskootrDined on 11/15/2014Anteprima is not a large space, so expect a little crowding and a lot of noise. It's a busy bustling place on a Saturday night, but the service really didn't suffer at all. The food was delicious ( you must try the grilled octopus, you won't believe it) as well as the wine and the desserts. I had the bread pudding, perhaps a little heavy but so good i managed to finish it off without a hitch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again & Again!PampVIPDined on 11/15/2014One of our favorite Chicago restaurants! Excellent service and delicious food. Started with a Hemmingway drink, which we discovered last summer. We shared several appetizers among the four of us, all of which were outstanding. Our friends loved their first visit and promise to return. Keep up the great work, Anteprima!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good neighborhood restaurantTerriVIPDined on 11/15/2014We were going to the Black Ensemble Theater and were looking for a restaurant near the theater. My daughter suggested this restaurant and am I glad she did. Our waiter was knowledgeable about both the food and liquor menu. My husband and I shared the orange salad with pomegranate seeds and my friend had the soup - the salad was interesting and my friend raved about the soup. Two of us had the orecchiette - it was delicious. My friend had the smaller plate of butternut squash ravioli and my husband had the bucatelli which he really enjoyed. My husband and I each had a Peroni and my friend had one of the evenings specialty drinks ($12). We did not have dessert. It was about $65 per couple for dinner. My only criticism is that the place was really crowded (a good thing) and the tables are very close together. The restaurant was noisy due to the fact it was filled to capacity - even at 6:00pm. The tables kept turning over. I will definitely come back. PS - parking is on the street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience warm and calm; cuisine smart and excitingnorthsiderDined on 11/15/2014Where we sat, behind a small wall separating us from the bar, it was blessedly quiet. Most restaurants are so noisy you can't taste the food. Here the food was excellent, savory, better than I remember: perfectly seared tuna, duck breast, orange salad with addictive pomegranate and olive dressing, good bread, and hazelnut budino out of this world. Please don't change!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbCPADined on 11/15/2014Before attending the Raven Theater we had dinner here and had a wonderful experience. Super waiter that was right on with his recommendations, food was fresh and interesting. Great choice of drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go!CaslawDined on 11/14/2014My full blooded Italian fiancé who is so picky about Italian food has to come here every time we are in Chicago! Love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABdiningoutVIPDined on 11/3/2014I enjoy coming here often, just this time food took forever & wasn't busy. Took it to go because it was end of night & eater charged for food we NEVER got!:( We spent almost $200 donor upset me!:( the food is always delicious here&I've been coming siI would recommend this to a friend.
- It's outstanding we go every weekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014I would tell anybody if you like good authentic Italian food with local fresh variety you can't miss it we go every time you can think of it don't miss it if you like good food and good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service needs improvingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014The food was excellent, the breads served at the table were mouthwatering that we asked for seconds. The service was bad, our waiter was hanging out in the back for most of our time in the restaurant, we had to ask other waiters for service. The pana cotta there is mouthwatering as are the spicy mussels that is a must if you go to Anteprima. I have been here many times this is the first time that service was so mediocre.Special Features:
- lydiaVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had a lovely dinner at Anteprima the other night. I'd recommend the harvest salad and the gnocchi with dried porcini mushrooms. The latter dish is rich. Two of us shared the smaller portion as an appetizer. The polenta crusted white fish and the pork shoulder were both excellent. It's too late in the year now, but keep Anteprima in mind when warm weather returns. They have one of the loveliest patios in Chicago. Our waitress was very helpful. The restaurant was very busy and a bit noisier than we prefer. However we did not have problems hearing each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Andersonville GemWexOneVIPDined on 10/25/2014Anteprima offers a creative Italian menu filled with highlights (a "Brick Chicken" is just one outstanding main course) in a well thought-out space with a great back patio in season. With a deep wine list (and many by the glass) and wonderful, knowledgeable and friendly service even during peak traffic times, the restaurant is inviting and charming. At the busiest hours, the noise level reaches the heights of din.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMC7whatDined on 10/24/2014We tried just about every pasta dish on the menu and each dish was spectacular; the pasta was tender and supple, very likely freshly, and the sauces were expertly cooked and conceived. There is nothing like well done Italian food, and this is a place to come for that.Special Features:
- AnteprimaJosevargas1Dined on 10/17/2014Nice italian restaurant with very good service and excellent food at a very razonable costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long wait for foodcynchDined on 10/16/2014A friend and I arrived at 6:30 PM and ordered our food almost immediately. We were given a complimentary appetizer and our starters, a beet salad for me and a shrimp dish for my friend, which were served quickly. Then, we waited almost an hour to receive our entrees, chicken for me and salmon for him. He said the salmon was delicious but my chicken was greasy and had too much garlic. For dessert, both the carrot cake and the lemon panna cotta were OK. At least the fixed price of $29/person was good. It was quiet when we first arrived but noisy by 7:30 PM. We were able to find metered parking on Clark Street.
- A good option for special occasionsregulardinerVIPDined on 10/7/2014We have always enjoyed Ante Prima although through the years the service can be variable and some dishes miss. We had a birthday dinner there for three on a Tuesday. The place was not crowded, service was great, and all the food was well done. The fixed price menu was a good deal but if you have wine the price will be on the higher side.
- Were we eating on the moon...?RedshoesDined on 10/5/2014I had heard so many fabulous things about this spot in the past few years but for us it was a disaster from the get-go. Our food was tasteless and had that frozen, or leftover grey look to it. Our 8-appetizer sampler was tired and flavorless. Salmon was very fishy smelling, pasta was way overcooked and my pork saltimboca looked like a cow pie and was mercifully returned to the kitchen. Place was packed by the time we left and other diners seemed happy with their food. A crowded, noisey spot clearly loved by neighborhood regulars, but we were strangers in this galaxy!
- Neighborhood Gemgoodfood3VIPDined on 10/2/2014We've been going to Anteprima for years. It is easily our favorite restaurant in a neighborhood with many dining options. The back patio is a sweet spot in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fall at Anteprima!judyfoodDined on 9/29/2014I always leave Anteprima feeling as though I have been indulged in an experience where I could just as easily have been somewhere in Italy. I love that the menu has it's seasonal changes, each dish done to perfection. We opted to do several things we had not tried before, such as the tagliatelle with wild mushrooms and the risotto with squash and spinach. We had a blended red wine, which was deliciously complex, and a finish of pannacotta for dessert....so silky and clean to the palate. Bravo once again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anteprima never disappointsKeepitSimpleDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I are pretty hard to impress but Anteprima always fills the bill. The food is simply prepared but delicious with the simple preparation allowing the fresh flavors of the food to emerge. Wine list is good. Bread and breadsticks outstanding. Fish preparation (my particular emphasis) is always just right. Desserts - what can I say, the lemon panna cotta is something to dream about. We like it even better than ice cream which is saying a lot. Sitting outside on the patio is a delight. Service is attentive. You can tell this place has standards and everyone takes pride in their restaurant. It is impossible to overstate how important this is and how it trickles down to all aspects of the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!MissMarsDined on 9/22/2014I'm from Chicago but now live in Seattle and eat very differently than I did when I lived in Chicago. Anteprima was such a revelation for me, it is one of my friends' fave places and with good reason... Contemporary Italian with an emphasis on local and sustainable ingredients as well as friendly knowledgeable staff and well designed wine list makes it one of my new favorite "home town" restaurants! Oh also, and this is a big deal (for me but lots of people are also GF) an Italian restaurant that has a lot of gluten free options is amazing! Don't get me wrong they don't have GF pasta (yet) but there are so many other delicious options everyone in your party will find something, or many somethings to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Pass Up the Prix FiteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Unbelievable value for superb food, attentive staff and energetic owner. This is an Andersonville gem that should be on every Chicagoan's list for fine dining.Special Features:
- john bhappy2returnDined on 9/13/2014Marty's gem was great as usual. as are Jasmine's cosmos. Sarah, an excellent waitress, has returned.Special Features:
- So accommodating!CharleyDined on 9/8/2014The patio is a must! The prix fixe was such a delicious deal. One of the best dining experiences I've had in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jeffjDined on 9/8/2014First time here and we'll definitely be back. All of the small plates and main entrees we had were quite good. My girlfriend particular liked the mushroom risotto dish she had, and the farro/stuffed tomato appetizers we all shared were particularly great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Volume times two.food4lifeDined on 9/5/2014We found the noise level to be very intrusive, seriously hindering our ability to effectively communicate with each other. "Energetic" is too generous a word to describe noise and allowing a level 4 rating would have been a more honest choice for me. P.S. I wanted to love this place and perhaps I could on a really slow night.
- Service + value stood out this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/3/2014Have been to Anteprima many times. We go for the authentic Italian food - close to what we experience when we travel in Italy. The food was very good as always, however the service was particularly outstanding. Our server was outgoing, thoughtful, just overall fun to interact with. The biggest surprise was the pre fixe offer (it was a Wednesday night). $29 for three courses. Had a starter, a pasta and a main for that. Unbelievable value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome mealmomzoidDined on 8/31/2014enjoyed the prix fixe menu available on Sunday. Food was amazing! Favorite was the seasonal corn ravioli. YumSpecial Features:
- Friend's birthdayMassimoDined on 8/31/2014Took a friend for birthday Sunday eve the Prie Fix was a bargain at $30 for three courses. The grilled calamari was perfectly seasoned with a black olive and roasted pepper dressing. The sweet corn Ravioli had a complex flavor mixed with a creamy sauce, some fresh grated Parma or Pecorino and seasonal green herbs would have rendered the dish as perfect but the heavy sea salt came close. The entree of pan seared rabbit with a frisee radish salad was seasoned well but lacked some definition of flavor Maybe some capers or tart lemon would have sparked the flavors. Though the flavors here are pure and subtle some additions could make these dishes stand out as innovative and exceptional for Italian regional cuisine.Special Features:
- tasty appsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014We did our own version of tapas and ordered a number of appetizers; we enjoyed them very much. However, our server was sort of scarce and there was an odd odor throughout the restaurant and patio area. the food was good enough that we would try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPuppyLoveDined on 8/30/2014It had been a while since I had been to Anteprima. I'd forgotten how amazing the food is and I'll definitely go back soon. My only criticism was that the food came a little quickly and it wasn't as leisurely a dinner as I would've liked. But the food is outstanding, very authentic, and the prices are truly reasonable. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive Italian foodLakeside2LadyVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have to begin with the great service. Our waiter had great suggestions for our wine and dinner choices. My husband had the Berkshire pork ribs. The portion was small but delicious. I had the crab and shrimp risotto which was delicious, however, there was very little crab. The beet salad was great. We split a carrot cake for dessert. It was home made in the restaurant and outstanding! We sat inside but the small outside dining area was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious little Andersonville gemNotafoodieDined on 8/23/2014Anteprima had great reviews already, but I never expected it to be as wonderful as it was. Everything we ordered was spectacular, seasonal, fresh, and perfectly prepared. The wine list was great, and the waiter was extremely helpful in choosing what to order. I'd have gone back the following night if I could have.Special Features:
- Date nightJbo5102Dined on 8/22/2014Very good service and food! We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- We Keep Going BackPeckishInAvilleDined on 8/22/2014My friends and I keep going back, so I guess that says a lot. The wines are great. Wine by the glass is pricey, but actually a good value as they serve much more than a standard glass. Two could share a "glass" if all you wanted just a bit of wine to accompany your dinner. The food was quite good. In the past I've thought it was over salted, but this time they got it right. We sat outdoors on the patio. I might not have gone if we had been inside, as the indoors noise level is too high for me. Others may enjoy the liveliness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favesKDBalVIPDined on 8/22/2014AntePrima never fails to please with its excellent combination of food, intimacy, and great service!Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodTarsVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first time at Anteprima - and it did not disappoint! We were impressed with the inventive small plate starters, our half portion pasta, Carbonarra with, zucchini flowers, and pepper was delicious, and our main courses of duck breast and skate wing were both well prepared and stand out from other restaurants. We will return!Special Features:
- What happened???2HottieVIPDined on 8/13/2014Our first bad experience here. We come here semi regularly and we were very disappointed all the way around. All of our food was average at best with the exception of the grilled octopus. Lamb was very chewy and under cooked and had to be sent back. Chicken dish was tasteless despite the seasoning. Perhaps one should stick with the pastas which none of us ordered. They are usually good. Server was too busy waiting the outdoor courtyard diners( we were not able to get a table there). And let's not even talk about trying to park. Not sure we'll be back.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/12/2014It's had been a while since my last visit and I was not let down. Great food and top notch service. As I recalled from years ago, it's very loud inside. Not built for quiet romantic dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlanVIPDined on 8/12/2014By far the best restaurant in the neighborhood. Excellent Italian food.I would recommend this to a friend.