13 Barrow Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.annisarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2127416699x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Anita Lo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: No private room, though we do book the entire restaurant for large groups.
Maximum capacity of 48 guests for seated events, 60 guests for cocktail parties.
A word from Annisa
Annisa is a small, fine dining establishment in the West Village. The restaurant is owned and operated by Chef Anita Lo, winner of Food & Wine Magazine's Best New Chef Award 2001. The restaurant was included in the Top 50 Food Ratings in the Zagat Guide 2009 and was awarded one coveted Star by the Michelin Guide 2009. Annisa serves contemporary American cuisine with Asian accents in a beautiful and soothing dining room where guests are greeted by a knowledgeable and friendly staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Annisa reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)special occasion (135)romantic (115)neighborhood gem (78)notable wine list (52)good for groups (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- PhenomenalkyleDined on 8/22/2014I ate at Annisa with my girlfriend for our one-year anniversary. We had the 7 course tasting + wine pairing. Despite having very high expectations (you can't find a bad review of this place anywhere), this restaurant totally blew us out of the water. The food was delicious - each course better than the next. We had ~20 different things between the two of us, and we loved everything. The wine choices were fantastic, too. And the service was perfect. Everyone was super friendly and attentive. Do yourself a favor and try this place out.Special Features:
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/22/2014Top-notch service, innovative use of ingredients- flavors and textures. Definitely a place to go for special occasions. A wonderful meal and experience.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014Everything about Annisa is great. Food, service, ambience. Love the melding of different flavor palates. Sorry, I know thats an obnoxious foodie comment, but it's true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Our server didn't ask once to check in to see how our appetizers or entrees were. My fiancee and I felt completely ignored the entire time we were there. We wanted dessert because we heard they were amazing but couldn't stand to be in that room one more minute! Our server spent a half hour at the table across the room and talked to every other table for a lengthy amount of time and didnt even ask if we wanted another glass of wine (which we were waiting for before we ate our entrees but soon our food was cold and we realized our waiter wasn't coming over to check if we needed anything else. He never came.) Food was great but overall was an awkward and terrible dining experience. We will not be returning.
- GREAT FOOD, GREAT SERVICERichardHVIPDined on 8/14/2014First time at Annisa; ordered the tasting menu. We were told that the chef decided the options based on that days pantry items. We advised our preferences and were told that they would try to accommodate which they did! The dining experience from the amuse bouche to dessert was perfect and unobtrusive; so much so that we closed the restaurant without realizing we were the last guests. The menu is certainly adventurous and well worth asking for recommendations or elaboration as to ingredients and taste. Highly recommended. Special thanks to our waitress who was very patient in explaining the menu, making recommendations and helping us with our wine selection.Special Features:
- Awesome creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014This restaurant was a total find. The service was fantastic. They were very accomodating with the time of the reservation and once we got there, the timing of the meal to make it relaxing but get us out in time to make a concert. The food was splendid from start to finish. The dishes had some of the most creative sauces we have tasted! Our favorites were the grilled squid appetizer, the spanish mackerel and for dessert a grapefruit posset.Special Features:
- Always fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014Annisa has everything that I require in a restaurant: fantastic food, superb service AND -- it is quiet!!! This kind of restaurant is a rarity. If nothing changes, and I hope it doesn't, I will keep going back. In addition to fantastic and innovative food, the wine list, albeit small, is interesting as well. We had two wines from Galicia, one white and one red, and both were excellent. If available, try the foie gras appetizer, duck for entrée and do not miss the bread pudding for dessert.Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014Annisa is a special occasion dining experience with outstanding food, wine and service. We ordered the tasting menu and each course was filled with wonderful flavors and textures. The sommelier was attentive to our description of what we love in a wine and suggested the perfect bottle. The room is quiet and serene which set the stage for a perfect evening of excellent food, wine, and conversation.Special Features:
- Fri Aug 8 2014bokx2Dined on 8/8/2014If you choose the tasting menu the chef chooses the courses for you. The server takes account of the guests' allergies and preferences. We choose the five course tasting menu. For the appetizers we got the sea bass sashimi and the dumplings. For the main courses we got the sable fish soup and the duck. For dessert we got the poppyseed bread pudding and the grapefruit posset. In addition we got extra little bites before appetizer and after dessert. Service was friendly and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable Food and ServiceDCarl1Dined on 8/6/2014We went here for a special occasion and it did not disappoint. Fantastic flavors, well-presented food, elegant ambience and accommodating service. We brought our own wines, but had we wished to order from the menu they had a beautifully-currated selection.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014elegant room, great service, outstanding food. The complete package.Special Features:
- A real surprise...not in a good wayJohnnytVIPDined on 8/5/2014My wife had wanted to try Annisa for quite a while. We finally went there for her birthday a couple of weeks ago, and were sadly disappointed. The food without exception (appetizer, entrée, dessert) was lackluster, the service was slapdash and sleepy, and the décor was completely nondescript. This was not a bad meal -- just an utterly unremarkable and forgettable one. Should you have to dine here, avoid the hearts of palm (a bad dish) and the pork (really boring). Chicken is OK, but you could probably do as well in your own kitchen. If you're marking a special occasion, suggest you do it elsewhere.
- Fabulous mealTablefor2Dined on 8/5/2014I had the beet salad and the mackerel and both were amazing! To 5 meals of all time. The beet salad was served with a cashew purée that was so good I was trying to convince them to sell it by the jar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedNewyorkersDined on 8/4/2014We went to this restaurant thanks to its great reviews and it has been the biggest disappoitment of our stay in New York. We chose the chef´s testing menu. All started perfectly but the second half of our dinner was catastrophic. The last dish as well as the dessert were really not good and a big group took a big table in the restaurant. They were so noisy And attracted all the service attention. It is a big disappointment for a restaurant you pay more than 250$ for two...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014Amazing food. It was our first time and it was all we had hoped for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowjrwoodDined on 8/2/2014DC guy here. Scooted up to the city to celebrate (with another family) my son's 17th birthday, and Annisa was our adult get-away on Saturday night. Having chased the kids around midtown all day and with a late reservation, I was hangry when I sat down ... but this restaurant really lived up to Pete Wells's 3-star review ... and I now have a couple more items on my top-10 lifetime list of the courses I want for my last meal (actually, forget the list, I just want a big bowl of those foie gras soup dumplings). I look forward to several more visits -- next time, 7-course tasting menu with pairings! Like way too many NYC restaurants, I only wish this gem was accessible to my son in a wheelchair -- my only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home runNot1crumbleftDined on 8/2/2014Dining at Annisa was a pleasure. We went for the tasting menu and were not disappointed with any course we were served. Service was outstanding and attentive without being overbearing. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service Ok food Nothing specialFoodArtistDined on 7/31/2014Bad service. Moody waitress with a lot of attitude. Ok food. Parts if the menu are completely boring... "Beet salad?!?" And the "exciting" stuff was nothing special for NYC. The squid appetizer was nice as was the pork entre, but again, nothing to write home about.
- Enjoyable eveninglondondubaiVIPDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed our evening in Annisa very much. The design is simple, yet warm, modern but not minimalist, the tables are not far apart but still offer some privacy. The food was absolutely delicious, we loved our starters and main courses ( black cod and striped bass) but unfortunately did not try the desserts! Service was very good and attentive, the atmosphere was relaxed and that's how an evening out should be.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, a culinary experienceDamsDined on 7/27/2014We've been 4 persons to go there and celebrate a birthday, coming from France mostly, we are used to go to some amazing restaurants, 1 to 3 stars places, but Annisa was an amazing experience, service was excellent, very friendly (except for one waiter who didn't speak or even answered back at us). We took the 5 course tasting menu, absolutely superb, our little favorite were the fish course and the desserts, amaaaazingly full of flavors! Wine was great, prices are reasonable. A little plus, i asked a special request to celebrate a birthday, and everything was settled for us so we could have a nice time there, the restaurant is very cosy and quiet. I definitely am a foodie, and i recommend this place with my eyes closed. Great job guys! :-DSpecial Features:
- Excellent Tasting MenuTastingMenuDined on 7/26/2014I have been looking forward to going to Annisa for quite some time and finally secured a reservation for my husband and I. We both did the 7 course tasting menu which simply means 7 different plates of chef chosen love from the kitchen. Chef Lo has a varied menu which adds excitement to the tasting menu. The inspiration for the dishes keeps you guessing and intrigued about what is coming next. Our absolute favorite was the Sole in Bonita Broth with Crispy Silken Tofu. The depth of flavor, contrasts of texture, and visual presentation were enough to make any foodie glad they chose this restaurant. Lastly, the service was extremely attentive without being in your face. Excellent Choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continued excellenceDocKDined on 7/23/2014Chef-owner Anita Lo has maintained her standard of excellence for the nine years I have been dining at Annisa. She presents new dishes every few months along with her signature specialties.All are superb. The service is appropriately nonintrusive and professional. the staff always make you feel welcome.The ambience is conducive to quiet conversation.It's my favorite restaurant in which to entertain guests.Special Features:
- Superb!luvyummyfoodDined on 7/22/2014I celebrate my birthday at Annisa with my husband and in laws. The food was superb! Everyone loved everything they ordered. I had the roasted beet salad over cashew puree. It was delicious! The steak tartare was scrumptious. My husband got the mussels and they were great. Entrees we had were the scallops, the pork, the steak and the sweet bread pot pie; all were great! For dessert we had the bread pudding and the beignets. Both were incredible! I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014for my wife's birthday we went to one of her favorites... and they, once again, produced a great meal and experience. We chose the 7 course chef's choice tasting menu and it was a great pick... we had things we would never have thought of ordering off the menu and were happily surprised... the pace of the meal was fantastic (we were not rushed), the attentive servers kept our wine glasses at the right level and explained every course as they arrived...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular platingCritDined on 7/21/2014Slow service, took a very long time for everything but it was worth it. The food was beautiful and every plate looked spectacular. Small portions, delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meh52Dined on 7/18/2014A great dining experience, as usual. Love the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MackeyVIPDined on 7/15/2014Could not be better. Serene setting with imaginative wonderful food.Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Good food and service but seemed chef going out of the way to be unusual with lots of the choices. Sometimes a little too far out of the way.Special Features:
- Do the chef's tasting!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2014I chose to dine at Annisa for my birthday dinner! It was a wonderful experience. My party of three went with the 5 course tasting and everything was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rickyuDined on 7/6/2014creative recipes that are well-executed; atmosphere conducive to conversation - a perfect dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Amazing eveningK8nycDined on 7/5/2014I went to Annisa on the night of my engagement, having been to the resturaunt before I knew it would not disappoint and I have never been so glad to be right. The food, service and ambiance were in a word, perfection. I have always recommended Annisa to friends and family and I will continue to do so. Annisa holds a special place in our hearts now and we will now make visiting a tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inlovewithfoodDined on 7/3/2014Dined here on my very last night in New York City with my boyfriend and it definitely exceeded both of our expectations. The foie gras was definitely a winner.Special Features:
- Always wonderfulPecavoDined on 7/1/2014Excellent food, wonderful ambiance, great for a romantic dinner, a special dinner with good friends, etc.Special Features:
- Anita Lo did not disappointAJNovaDined on 7/1/2014I've been trying to get reservations for Annisa for months. Finally (probably due to 7/4 holiday) got in this week. It's tiny, but the tables are comfortably spaced. We opted for the 5 course tasting menu. The amuse was tasty but didn't blow us away. The 1st course, which for that night was the sashimi, but replaced by tilefish, was ok. We did clean our plates, but again, weren't blown away. Then came the soup dumpling + foie gras...followed by mackeral with fried milk/garlic balls...followed by the most perfectly cooked pork we've ever had. BLOWN AWAY! For dessert, we got 2. Both were very good, but the bread & butter pudding was OUTSTANDING! Service was helpful and friendly. We didn't get to meet the chef-that was the only downside.Special Features:
- Small space; great foodDColeVIPDined on 7/1/2014Made reservations for business dinner. Service was efficient, food was really really good.Special Features:
- Nice, Attentive StaffFusionFiendVIPDined on 6/30/2014Really enjoyed our visit to Annisa. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Two members of our party were late, but they still seated us without a fuss. The bartender was great at offering suggestions on cocktails. Our waiter was very helpful in guiding us through the menu. The reception team was terrific. The ambiance was quiet so you could have a conversation with your friends. We were given a cozy booth that allowed us to have a conversation without having to shout. We thought the food was terrific, but the kitchen doesn't offer a lot of options for vegetable side dishes. However, what we received was well-presented, beautifully prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Very good high end food. Pleasant if subdued atmosphere with the distinct feeling of a special occasion venue. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and kept smiling despite a frankly miserable couple dining next to us. Would heartily recommend the dumplings and the veal. Not very impressed by the heart of palm, especially at nearly $40 in its guise as an entree. Overall, feel this place warrants its 3 NYT stars and high acclaim.Special Features:
- Excellent!MariaParias2014Dined on 6/27/2014We got the tasting menu, and everything was terrific delicious! The service and ambient also great! And we had a Biodynamic Wine, really great too! Totally recomendable, congratulations to the Chef Anita Lo and her fabulous team!Special Features:
- AverageYumTumDined on 6/27/2014We thought the restaurant was average. The squid appetizer was delicious. My buffalo was good. My wife's bass was slightly overcooked.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2014Some of the best, most interesting food we've ever had... fresh, vibrant, rich... fantastic! not inexpensive, though. And right across the street from our building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.