13 Barrow Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.annisarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 741-6699
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Anita Lo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: No private room, though we do book the entire restaurant for large groups.
Maximum capacity of 48 guests for seated events, 60 guests for cocktail parties.
A word from Annisa
Annisa is a small, fine dining establishment in the West Village. The restaurant is owned and operated by Chef Anita Lo, winner of Food & Wine Magazine's Best New Chef Award 2001. The restaurant was included in the Top 50 Food Ratings in the Zagat Guide 2009 and was awarded a three-star rating in the New York Times in 2014. Annisa serves contemporary American cuisine with Asian accents in a beautiful and soothing dining room where guests are greeted by a knowledgeable and friendly staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Annisa - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Annisa reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)special occasion (110)romantic (98)neighborhood gem (72)notable wine list (38)good for groups (11)hot spot (11)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AverageYumTumDined on 6/27/2014We thought the restaurant was average. The squid appetizer was delicious. My buffalo was good. My wife's bass was slightly overcooked.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2014Some of the best, most interesting food we've ever had... fresh, vibrant, rich... fantastic! not inexpensive, though. And right across the street from our building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLillethVIPDined on 6/24/2014We had the 7 course tasting menu. It was phenomenal. Everything was delicious and thoughtfully plated. We are planning to return and have the wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New yorkernewyorkVIPDined on 6/22/2014I am at A loss about how to explain my experience. Food: Salty, salty and salty. There was nothing but tasting salty. Services: very pretentious and no apologies at all for serving poorly prepared dishes. I seriously doubt how this restaurant has received a star from Michelin guide.
- refreshingly creative cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/21/2014--which was a nice change from most restaurants serving similar dishes.Special Features:
- VillageGuest615VIPDined on 6/21/2014Too many years have passed between my last dinner here although my husband has taken business guests here a few times. It is an intimate spot without feeling like you are on top of anyone. It's very adult; noise level perfect. The minimalist decor is wonderful. And that "minor" matter of food?Just fabulous. Our party of three had various seafood entrees. All were perfection. The mackerel, scallops and sable were sampled by all of us and deemed outstanding. The steak tartare and mussel appetizers the same. Annisa is a first-rate restaurant minus the pretentiousness sometimes associated with places of this ilk.Special Features:
- outoftownerluvrealfoodDined on 6/12/2014We tried the tasting menu. For the adventurous diner with a very small appetite. Could the portions get any smaller??? My husband was starving when we left. Taste was ok but not amazing. The ambience was very minimalist and small but not in a cozy or comfortable way. Kind of boring.Special Features:
- couple dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014We had a fantastic experience-romantic dinner couples and small family groups (with very well behaved children) with superb food and professional but friendly made this is a romantic and delightful place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Added to My Top 5RandiZDined on 6/11/2014Best bite: soup dumpling with bit of seared foie gras. Eat it the way they tell you with the dumpling in the spoon and grip it with the chop sticks. After I bit into it and broth dropped on the plate I bemoaned that lost broth. Totally didn't expect that to happen. The sable was also amazing with a different yummy broth. My spouse had the pork. She does not like runny eggs but went ahead and broke the yolk anyway. She said she couldn't believe what a perfect sauce it made with everything else on the plate. Obviously just what the chef had in mind. Chocolate tasting for dessert was perfect. I could not finish it. To the shock of my spouse I said I was "chocolates out." Complimented the friendly and attentive service staff on the way out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but why any fuss about Annisa?SDFNYCVIPDined on 6/7/2014Annisa was fine, just fine, but not great, not poor. The place was ok, the service was ok, the food was good, not great. Sadly, this is one of those places you go once, and don't feel a compelling need to go back to. I doubt it will be the same restaurant in 3 years. Nothing great and nothing terrible. I'll be looking at Zagats to find new and different places to dine: Annisa won't likely get a second date, as it won't be making my MUST go to list in NYC!!
- Amazing restaurantbrooklynhoboVIPDined on 6/6/2014variety, quality and presentation match a Michelin star rating and definitely met my expectations. Exquisite food and amazing service!
- WonderfulvisitingVIPDined on 6/3/2014Great food and great service. Wonderful presentation and flavor. Everyone took great care of me.Special Features:
- Lovely NYC FindJanicsikaDined on 6/3/2014Service and food were impeccable- the cocktails were delicious as was every dish we ordered in our party of 4. A classy environment that isn't pretentious or stuffy at all- everyone would feel welcome here, including kids, but the meals are delicious enough to make you feel extra fancy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, creative foodJennDined on 6/2/2014My husband took me to Annisa for my birthday, and the food was inspired and delicious. There's an element of comfort, merged with beautiful technique. I would recommend it without hesitation.Special Features:
- Eclectic, SurprisingraravisDined on 6/1/2014From Sashimi, to charred foi gras... From Shanghai-style soup dumplings to the concluding ode to offal and pot-pie... All that, plus a dizzying stopover in no-man's land, courtesy of a seared fillet of Spanish Mackerel floating in Gochujang, and surrounded by milk-and-garlic tempura globes (and that's not counting the cubes of satsumaimo scattered between the globes). Our prix-fixe meal was a truly peripatetic stroll with more suprises and sudden turns than you might expect in a Greenwich Village restaurant. We will be going back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 6/1/2014The food at Annisa is superlative -- imaginative and delicious. Service is cordial without being fussy, and the small space feels intimate. My only complaint is that Annisa's decor is severe and chilly. This enhances attention to the food, but it makes the experience marginally less festive than at NYC's other world-class restaurants. In compensation, however, Annisa's high prices are less skyscraping than at rival gastronomic palaces. Annisa is one of the city's treasures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a repeat!YiaYiaDined on 5/29/2014Fortunately, my husband loved it as much as I had on my first visit without him. Everything was excellent, beautifully prepared with just enough invention to be interesting, but not distracting (like the farm egg yolk with the luscious pork loin, each cooked to perfection). Also, when I asked our server to describe the difference between a couple of wines in order to match our food, she made an alternate wine recommendation that was both perfect & less expensive than what I'd been contemplating. I will go back again, & my husband will eagerly agree!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/27/2014Duck appetizer is the best thing on earth!!! Will go back just for thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations Exceededebird47Dined on 5/27/2014Living in the midwest, I became a fan of Chef Anita Lo through her TV appearances, wanting to taste everything she made but having no opportunity to do so. Finally had a business trip to NY and Annisa was the first restaurant I made reservations for. I had a week of fine dining at a different place every night and this was definitely the best meal of the bunch. My co-worker who accompanied me (and had zero knowledge of Chef Lo) agreed. Intimate, romantic setting with great service and magnificent food. No one else I spoke to in NY had heard of it so it may be a hidden gem. I will definitely return if I make it back to NY; I can't say that for any of the other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, chef, bartender,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2014Came with six people. Were extremely accommodating. Chef Anita Lo was friendly and greeted everyone when recognized. Extremely gracious. Outstanding flavors. Fabulous waiter and maître'd. Will happily return again and again. Soothing spaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencewhitecrowDined on 5/27/2014Everything about this place is quality. The food, the service, the attentiveness and care of the staff, the comfort of the furnishing - were all outstanding. We had the 5 course tasting menu and it was sublime, we never wanted the meal to end. I could eat here every night. Really interesting food, brilliantly executed and served. One of our party is gluten intolerant and they were careful of this in every course. A truly memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serene and simpleBpmartiDined on 5/27/2014We had a lovely evening at Annisa. The room is beautifully appointed, with large windows and elegant, soothing decor in neutral tones. We had a hard time choosing from the many enticing menu selections. The atmosphere was quiet without being stuffy or staid. It was refreshing to see that the other diners took care with their wardrobe choices. There was not a hoodie or athletic shoe in sight. The food and service were impeccable. I'd love to have this restaurant in my own neighborhood. Long live Annisa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cbarDined on 5/22/2014We were in NYC for our son and his girlfriends' graduations. We had the five course tasting menu. Everything was amazing. In addition to the crazy-good food, the staff was very accommodating. I highly recommend. I only wish I lived in NYC so that I could go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience!PgvargasVIPDined on 5/21/2014Annisa is a very interesting restaurant, informal but chic, with a nice ambience, the service is also informal but very efficient, and the food is terrific, really amazing, a great food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnisatcjrDined on 5/21/2014Oh so worth it. Outstanding wine list and menu. A true Village gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annisa is the bestOutOfTownerVIPDined on 5/21/2014The. Best. The creativity, execution, service and even value make Annisa the best. The. Best.Special Features:
- foodezDined on 5/21/2014Best meal we can remember all around. Soup dumplings with foie grass a must. Service excellent, warm, friendly, efficient. Scallops superb. Desserts wonderful. Good wine list and good cocktails at a fair price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousHappyTastingDined on 5/20/2014We had the 5-course tasting menu. I don't know if the chef read or minds or changed our minds to be whatever he gave us, but the food was fantastic. I don't know if I would have picked better choices. Sweetbread pot pie was mindblowing. Foie gras soup dumplings? Yes, please. Trout, beef tartare, all good. The lemony dessert was fantastic and I'm not a dessert person. Good wine too. My date and I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MGM11Dined on 5/19/2014A truly remarkable dining experience. We have eaten at Annisa several times and are consistently delighted with the experience. It is a quiet romantic restaurant where the staff are friendly, attentive and go out of their way to make your evening enjoyable. The food is beautifully presented and the dishes always creative and interesting. The wine list complements the menu and is remarkable for being broadly representative of domestic and foreign imports as well as being reasonably priced. We travel to NYC regularly and it is our favorite restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Had been wanting to try Annisa for some time and was not disappointed. The food is very delicate yet sophisticated: each dish had its distinct character and even though we shared a number of dishes to sample more flavours, the multi-course meal did not feel heavy in the slightest. I really enjoyed how the chef played with the subtilties of scents, textures, and balance of flavours. The wine selection (we had wines by the glass) were very well chosen and paired beautifully with the food. It is not a casual restaurant and does feel more approriate for a special occassion or a fancy date.Special Features:
- and now for something different!rovingcaroleDined on 5/18/2014Since i'm typing on my phone i will be briefer than usual! Being familiar with anita lo thru Top Chef and other sources and very impressed, we selected Annisa for one our dinners on a recent trip to the Big Apple. Unable to pick one option we chose the tasting menu. The staff is very diligent in inquiring about any allergies or even food aversions, as the menu is quite adventurous. We expressed no reservations. Full speed ahead. The chef makes up the tasting menu from the ala carte menu. We had five courses: black sea bass sashimi, soup dumpling, golden trout, veal tongue/veal neck pot pie, and two delicious desserts followed by a palate cleanser of coconut popsicles, cadied ginger and chocolate. A memorable special meal. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Unique FlavorsAverageDined on 5/18/2014I went with my mom recently to celebrate my birthday. I have been wanting to try Annisa for months. I am so happy I finally decided to go. The food was outstanding. The menu is mostly fish with a few meat options. The fish melts in your mouth and the flavor combinations were delicious. Of course the food has an Asian flair, so if you don't like Asian ingredients this probably isn't the place for you. I would recommend the sea bass sashimi, barbecued octopus, and most definitely the sable as your entree. There is also a tasting menu available, but it is a lot of food.Special Features:
- PerfectionFoodie27VIPDined on 5/17/2014Great food, intimate setting and attentive service! The best in the neighborhood! A must stop every time we are in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceNandRDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dining experience at Annisa recently. This was our first time there. From our pre-dinner cocktails to dessert, everything was exquisitely prepared and presented. We had the 5-course tasting menu. Every dish had a lot of flavors arranged in a very interesting combination. I would recommend this restaurant for any special occasions.Special Features:
- Annisa is a great spot.AlavallDined on 5/16/2014The restaurant service and ambiance was great. The food itself was very good. The appetizers are a bit overpriced for the portion and taste (we had the grilled squid and the heart of palm) but the entrees were delicious. The snapfish in broth was perfectly cooked, and the flavors were great. The pork was also cooked well - a very hearty dish with several sauces and great vegetable pairings. The dessert was delicious - beignets with bourbon ice - a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good if not greatChefGeorgeDined on 5/15/2014Lovely room, great comfortable, competent service, nice menu. Somehow it just didn't "wow" me, as have several other NYC restaurants. Everything was good, just not that memorable; nothing really popped. So if you want a perfectly lovely evening with excellent food and aren't looking for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, Annisa will deliver. The bread & butter pudding was the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2014Very good Food, relax and correct service.. Can't ask for more.. We we a wonderful time.Special Features:
- A Delightful ExperiencemetrioDined on 5/12/2014I have to say, this is by far one of my favorite restaurants in the city. While there are a lot of things on the menu, you can't go wrong by doing the tasting menu. Each dishes hit just the right notes as you build up to dessert. I can't possibly decide on one specific dish to talk about, however I can say that they were all delicious. The desserts, sweet without being too sweet. Anita know exactly what she's doing and I appreciated every bite of it. The service was stupendous, Anna our server definitely treated us well and didn't skip a beat throughout service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnisaBebeHDined on 5/12/2014The atmosphere is serene; the staff is knowledgeable; the taste and presentation of the food is perfection. Rich ingredients are prepared in a delicate manner. We had the seven course tasting and felt we received a great representation of the menu. Each dish and the meal as a whole was well balanced. Blending Asian, European and American influences creating a unique cuisine. Hats off for Chef Anita Lo. We left fully satisfied but not stuffed...and that is a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUST For FoodiesBedford4eDined on 5/11/2014If you can get a reservation go go go! The menu is somewhat limited favoring fish dishes but everything is prepared so differently and tastefully you can't go wrong. Appys are creative and also outstanding. You never realized that fresh ingredients tasted so go. The room is somewhat small but the noise level is moderate. Servers know their stuff and can tell you about every ingredient in your meal. Server garb looked a little sloppy and a tad too casual but that's a minor flaw. So in summary if you like creative, we'll prepared and fresh food without an attitude go, go, go.Special Features: