60 Wallingford Sq.
Kittery, ME 03904Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.annekejans.net/
- Phone: 2074390001x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Seven Nights 5:00 to Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lee Frank
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: If you are looking for a private luncheon or intimate gathering for a family birthday, baby shower, rehearsal dinner or any other occasion we are happy to sit with you and discuss your many options here at Anneke Jans!
- Private Party Contact: Moira Canty 2074390001x
- Special Events: If you are looking to have a party of any kind please contact Jason or Moira at 207-439-0001
A word from Anneke Jans
Anneke Jans is a neighborhood bistro style restaurant where old and new friends gather to eat good food, and drink good wine. Our menu changes often and parking is easy. Come and enjoy an evening with us.Continued
For Gift Cards call 207-439-0001
For Gift Cards call 207-439-0001
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Anneke Jans - Best Restaurants in Kittery, ME ›
Anneke Jans reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (59)romantic (44)special occasion (44)notable wine list (27)hot spot (13)good for groups (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Food, Monday Night ServicefooddvDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I went back to Anaka Jans for the second time the past Friday. We love the location, ambiance, and food is great. This particular Friday was not the same as the first time with regard to the wait service. Slow to respond, took a while to get a drink (I actually went to the bar myself). Would not hesitate to recommend it but we both left thinking the food did not match the service that night.Special Features:
- You Get What You Pay ForFoodieBoyfriendDined on 10/22/2014It was an expensive birthday dinner for my girlfriend, but well worth it. Wind and rain kept the Wednesday night crowd small, which helped with noise level and ambiance. The prosecco I'd ordered through Open Table was waiting. The waiter was friendly in a practiced, slightly pretentious way, but knew the menu. The pulled pork appetizer he recommended was flavorful. I picked out a beet salad with pears that was more rooty and less sweet than I hoped. And the chicken confit, salty on its own, blended well with the braised greens in a single bite. But the blondie sundae w the marshmallows - I'm not much for mallow, and usually eschew distraction from the main dessert event, but I'm glad I took that first bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect evening!SavoryMamaDined on 10/18/2014Our server was a cordial and animated gentleman by the name of Ken. He saw to our needs in a caring and non-hassled manner. The service was slow and relaxed, we LOVED that aspect! The cuisine was excellent, the portion size was plentiful and the ambiance of the restaurant is really quaint and cozy. The whole experience was wonderful from the minute we walked through the door until we left. We were happy, full, content and already planning a return trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemNicoleVIPDined on 10/16/2014I loved our dinner! Food, service and atmosphere was second to none!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014My husband and I ate here at our 5th anniversary and I still remember how wonderful the muscles were! 10 years later everything was as wonderful as I remembered it.Special Features:
- ExcellentLakesidezDined on 10/11/2014Was visiting a friend in Portsmouth who had heard good things about this restaurant. We shared the arugula, goat cheese and beet salad. I will remember this cheese for the rest of my life! BEST cheese I've ever tasted. One of us had the salmon, which was excellent. Another had a pasta dish, also excellent. I, however, was greatly disappointed with the cod that I ordered. The description involved lentils, which I love. It was a lentil puree, and it was absolutely flavor-free...very disappointing at such a posh place. The wine was superb (a pinot noir), and the bread pudding we had for dessert was a dream come true. Overall, very good. Had my cod had some flavor, I would have given this an all out great. Kinda of pricey, too.Special Features:
- Great mussels!JeannieDined on 10/8/2014We brought some mussel-loving leaf-peepers from Colorado. They (and we) enjoyed it very much!Special Features:
- Great place in Kittery MaineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Really enjoyed dinner at Anneke Jans. On a rare warm late September evening we sat with the windows open and a light breeze kept us comfortable. My daughter and I had the peach margarita which was excellent, my friend ordered a lemon drink that was very bitter. The waitress graciously took it back and replaced it. She later came back and shared that she tried it as well and agreed with my friend, saying it must have been made wrong. Our soup, pumpkin was good but a little salty. We each had different entrees, salmon, trout, and chicken which were excellent. the deserts all different were exemplary. The dinner was unrushed and well orchestrated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MassNHresidentDined on 9/27/2014Met friends for dinner . We had no expectations , just hoping the restaurant would be decent!Well, that feeling vanished upon entering the restaurant. From our greeting to the waitress...could not say enough as to how pleased we were. I have already suggested this restaurant in many people. Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Anneke "JAMS"!!!CPatrickWestVIPDined on 9/26/2014This place is fabulous! That's all you really need to know, now make your reservation and enjoy a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Meal!BirthdayVIPDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic food...outstanding service...what more could anyone want!Special Features:
- Late Summer Dining @ Anneke JansOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/20/2014Anneke Jans is a lively little restaurant in the now vibrant foodie area of Wallingford Square in Kittery , Maine. We had been several times , but not in the past year or two. The space has been enlarged and noise eliminating panels have been installed-it is a much more pleasant environment now. Our party of four was celebrating an engagement-the staff was congratulatory and overall attentive. Menu offerings -including cocktails, wine and food is very nice. Every item ordered was delicious(pomme frites & braised pork for apps.-venison,pork chop and cod were our entrees).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in Downtown KitteryCurtVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is an elegant place with excellent food and great service. We've dined here many times and it always pleases.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Evening!Sweetlife16Dined on 9/16/2014Sitting at the comfortable bar, our server was very attentive and the food was very fresh and delicious. Unusual to find skate on a menu - it was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet food in KitterymikbergDined on 9/14/2014A Boston level restaurant in downtown Kittery,ME. Very creative foods without driving to Boston. Will return on special occasions.Special Features:
- gibsonVIPDined on 9/6/2014Anneke Jans has been a regular visit during our annual travel to Maine, and we have enjoyed the inventive cuisine and exceptional service for the past 6 or 7 years. This year, however, the menu was less interesting, the food less creative, and the service unexceptional. The cocktails have lost their panache. The wine list is oddly selected and overpriced (I recognized one pedestrian Bordeaux that retails for $11 on the menu for $42). While still good, Anneke Jans is no longer excellent.
- WOWGzlouiseDined on 9/5/2014Never knew fried olives were so delicious! Great food with interesting combinations - Wild boar - delicious! Loved all of it from the apps - the olives, salads and entres. We were too full for desert! Next time we're leaving room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandyDined on 9/2/2014The food was amazing as always. Service perfect. All around great restaurant. A little quiet - we went on the Tuesday after Labor Day, but to be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingjroushVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was very good and our service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PerfectDCLadyVIPDined on 8/22/2014We have visited Anneke Jans a few times while passing through Kittery Maine. Each visit has been the same - great food prepared from the freshest local ingredients, warm gracious hospitality, and an enthusiastic staff happy to answer any questions about the food or the area. The drink selection is eclectic (in a good way). A wonderful gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience PlusLadyDiDined on 8/16/2014Great food, super service, and fabulous seating for our 39th wedding anniversary!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointingdinneroutDined on 8/15/2014We took some out of town friends to Anneka Jan's. We had been there many times. The food was good but I have dietary restrictions that require selection modifications. Our waiter was accommodating but in selecting vegetable side (roasted carrots) there were only 2 small ones hidden on the plate. In addition the noise factor was very distracting and not at all conducive to conversation. We were a party of 4 and were seated at a large round table which further prevented conversation. We also had a significantly long wait for dinner to arrive. I realize this is a popular restaurant and previous dining experiences have been exemplary. The ambiance - especially lighting and dark walls is soothing but way too noisy. We would still try again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoriteJulesDined on 8/15/2014We often joke that we go to Anneke Jans too much, with two small children Date nights are few and far between, we can count on Anneke Jans for an amazing meal, fantastic service and a great atmosphere. They never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant5StarDined on 8/8/2014This is our favorite restaurant to enjoy dinner with family and friends when vacationing in Ogunquit Just a short drive. Service was exemplary!!! Highlighted by chefs description of entrees from his station in the open kitchen...Get a few orders of pomme frittes for the table. Great food and wine....highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveningtlc946Dined on 8/1/2014Fine dining at it's best! Mussel appetizer was the best we've had and the sirloin was extremely flavorful and cooked to perfection, chicken and polluck delicious, as well. Pommes frites a must. Great wine list and terrific waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodjroushVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was very good and the service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!NicoleDined on 7/31/2014Four of us enjoyed dinner where the service was excellent and the food was amazing! It felt classy yet comfortable. I also loved it's location right downtown where you could enjoy the quantness of what an old small town offers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soCorkyDined on 7/28/2014Food very good but once again two woman put in the noisiest seats in the house, while the place was only 40 per cent full. Service just ok.Special Features:
- SolidLuv2eatDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good. The service was excellent. For sure the chocolate tasting is a mugs for any chocolate lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoastalCravingsDined on 7/26/2014Anneke Jans is our 'special occasion' destination. The table offered was the hosts 'favorite in the house'. Our beverages were great, special margarita, generous wine pour. The mussels, w/blue cheese amazing (although we did need to ask for extra bread for the delicious liquid). My husband's fish was delightful, when my duck arrived, I thought it looked overdone, but to not ruin the mood, I mistakenly didn't say anything. The flavor was fabulous, but all was quite dry. Our waiter was helpful, when he checked in. I thought it was too late in the meal for replacement. In the end, the owner took the duck off of our tab, and they bought us the dessert we shared. This was a fair solution and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything but the main courseFrequentdinerDined on 7/25/2014It was the first night the restaurant had duck on the menu. The description made it sound delicious. It was dry and you really couldn't detect the flavor of the glaze. The service was excellent, but the noise level, once it started to fill up, was deafening. Glad we made earlier reservations. I don't know how folks can talk to one another once it gets busy.
- Awesome RestaurantfoodisgoodDined on 7/23/2014We had a wonderful evening. The food was fantastic. The emphasis on local food is very important to us. The ambiance was elegant and fun. We brought two of our kids and they had a nice time and enjoyed the meal. The service was very good. The waiter was great and very personable.Special Features:
- EcellentWilliamDined on 7/20/2014They have maintained excellence through the years in food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2014Overall an excellent experience. The food was quite credible and the service was great. Reasonable wine list and food selection that was fresh and innovative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!vicageDined on 7/11/2014The Cod and mussels were delicious! The bar tender makes a wonderful martini as well. Another amazing experience at a Kittery Point spot. Be back soon.Special Features:
- One of Our FavoritesFoodieNHDined on 7/11/2014Anneke Jans is a great foreside restaurant that has been around for several years. They consistently impress with their dishes and the service is top notch. Nice wine and drink list make it even better. Whether you're looking for a quiet table for 2, space for 6-8 or just want to sit at the bar and have a small meal, this restaurant won't let you down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014has gone downhill for the past two years. The only thing left that's have way decent on the limited menu are the mussles.Special Features:
- The following 936 reviews are from the Anneke Jans reviews archive.
- Open on Sunday night!trieditlikeditVIPDined on 6/29/2014Tried the avocado gazpacho. It was absolutely delicious. Creamy, cold and yum. What could be exciting about chicken? Well, it's always done to perfection, and when I find good chicken, I order it! Mussels are always outstanding, as was the sirloin. There was nothing left on my husband's plate. Wait staff is always ON, and our waittress was delightful and knowledgeable. Anneke Jans offers the best ambience in the Portsmouth/Kittery area…..and it's open on Sunday night!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shh, don't tell anyone.ldp604Dined on 6/28/2014Wish this could stay hidden in downtown Kittery forever but then they might go out of business so I better promote them. Amazing dinner in a very attractive space. Honestly do not have a complaint. Some of the best mussels and frites I have had, excellent cheese board, entrees slightly small but super tasty. Must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still hungryjustonemouthfullDined on 6/28/2014I had friends comming to visit, they had heard about Anneke Jans, "they are Dutch" so I was excited to make a reservation. When our main dish arrived I was a little embarrassed when they lean over and said " I hope you are not hungry tonight". I had got the Cod duo, the pieces were so small I could have fit them on a teaspoon! Not the best meal I've ever over paid for. Even though the name apears to be Dutch...nothing else is.Special Features: