60 Wallingford Sq.
Kittery, ME 03904Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.annekejans.net/
- Phone: (207) 439-0001
- Hours of Operation:
Open Seven Nights 5:00 to Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lee Frank
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: If you are looking for a private luncheon or intimate gathering for a family birthday, baby shower, rehearsal dinner or any other occasion we are happy to sit with you and discuss your many options here at Anneke Jans!
- Private Party Contact: Moira Canty 2074390001x
- Special Events: If you are looking to have a party of any kind please contact Jason or Moira at 207-439-0001
A word from Anneke Jans
Anneke Jans is a neighborhood bistro style restaurant where old and new friends gather to eat good food, and drink good wine. Our menu changes often and parking is easy. Come and enjoy an evening with us.Continued
For Gift Cards call 207-439-0001
For Gift Cards call 207-439-0001
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Anneke Jans - Best Restaurants in Kittery, ME ›
Anneke Jans reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (64)romantic (56)special occasion (56)notable wine list (32)hot spot (19)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- It's Becoming a FavoriteWillMEDined on 11/21/2014This was our second visit (and we live an hour away so it takes some motivation), and almost as good as the first. Several dishes were spectacular -- mussels in a light, well-seasoned cream sauce, an appetizer with duck and shaved brussels sprouts in particular -- but everything was at least very good. Two traditional cocktails (a whiskey sour and a Manhattan) were superior to the same drinks anywhere else in recent memory. Service was attentive and perfect. There is a nice balance here between sophisticated food and a refreshing lack of pretension. My only criticism -- charging $8/glass for a wine which costs me $6.99 a bottle! I did not order it, of course, and the wines by the glass are, like almost everywhere else, disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anneka Jans disappointsJustBreatheDined on 11/15/2014For several years we heard raves about this restaurant, so for restaurant week we decided to venture across the bridge and try it out. What a disappointment. First of all, it was so loud, we couldn't hear each other across the table. The food was very up and down. My appetizer, pumpkin soup, had a distinct flavor of water that was used to thin it. (as opposed to stock or cream) and there wasn't even a hint of spices. not even salt. My husband fared better. The cod cake was delicious, but the "apple salad" was only greens. My husband's main course was short ribs. The gravy was flavorful but it was poured over meat that was so dried out and hard that parts of it couldn't even be cut with a knife. And the parsnip puree was spinach. My entree was much better but seemed more like coq a vin than duck cassoulet. Very tasty, but I thought cassoulet had beans and there was nary a sight of the sausage mentioned in the description on the menu. Thankfully the desserts, a brownie trifle and cranberry bread pudding were delicious, and our waitress was charming. Unfortunately, we will not be bothering to return.
- Always goodVandJDined on 11/14/2014We very much enjoyed our Restaurant Week meal here. Everything was delicious and the portions were ample. The service was fun and friendly. We've been to Anneke Jans numerous times and have found it to have reliably delicious and creative food. For foodies as we are, it's great to have it right in Kittery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week HitMainer14Dined on 11/14/2014Anneke Jans never disappoints. The service was prompt and accommodating. Restaurant week menu was delightful, well-balanced. It was a bit noisy, but our table was ideally located next to front window - so no major complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week pickGrlsniteoutDined on 11/11/2014Our dinner was delicious! Would like to have sat away from the kitchen more (I do not like that table for 2 right in front of the kitchen too much commotion for me)...maybe next time we will request the new room! We enjoy the atmosphere and the food....our server was fantastic. Thanks for a good night out with the girls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Choice for Restraurant WeekValentineMeatDined on 11/10/2014my GF and I made reservations for Restaurant week and we had a wonderful experience. Our cocktails, Appetizers, Entrees, and Dessert were all great. unbelievable flavors, everything was cooked perfectly, our desserts were decadent. Our server was attentive and jovial, offering his opinions and suggestions very casually, not pressured at all. We plan on going back even if it wasnt restaurant week.Special Features:
- DinnerGreatdinnerDined on 11/10/2014Everything was excellent. We appreciated the quietness so you could really hear your dinner companion. Food and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great mealNEMPortDined on 11/9/2014There were four of us and we all had appetizers, a dinner, and dessert. Everyone e throughly enjoyed their meal and looked forward to sampling other offerings on the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Anneke Janes was a great evening out with friends. If you didn't know you were in Kittery, you'd swear you were at some big-city bistro without all the snooty extras that comes with that type of environment. Service was impeccable and the food was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing, Last time was betterlaw4dhwDined on 11/7/2014Our 3rd visit was not good. Palmagranite martini medicinal taste. Mussels were gritty, poor flavor. Beat salad not at the standard of others in this class. Steak flavorless. Sauces too powerful for meat. Will not be back, there are too many other really good restaurants in the area.
- Thanks Kenny!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014Great mushroom bread pudding (unique and delicious), good pork dish (though pork a tiny bit dry) - and truly outstanding service from our waiter Kenny. We will definitely be back - but we found the all black interior to be a bit cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Monday Night ServicefooddvDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I went back to Anaka Jans for the second time the past Friday. We love the location, ambiance, and food is great. This particular Friday was not the same as the first time with regard to the wait service. Slow to respond, took a while to get a drink (I actually went to the bar myself). Would not hesitate to recommend it but we both left thinking the food did not match the service that night.Special Features:
- You Get What You Pay ForFoodieBoyfriendDined on 10/22/2014It was an expensive birthday dinner for my girlfriend, but well worth it. Wind and rain kept the Wednesday night crowd small, which helped with noise level and ambiance. The prosecco I'd ordered through Open Table was waiting. The waiter was friendly in a practiced, slightly pretentious way, but knew the menu. The pulled pork appetizer he recommended was flavorful. I picked out a beet salad with pears that was more rooty and less sweet than I hoped. And the chicken confit, salty on its own, blended well with the braised greens in a single bite. But the blondie sundae w the marshmallows - I'm not much for mallow, and usually eschew distraction from the main dessert event, but I'm glad I took that first bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect evening!SavoryMamaDined on 10/18/2014Our server was a cordial and animated gentleman by the name of Ken. He saw to our needs in a caring and non-hassled manner. The service was slow and relaxed, we LOVED that aspect! The cuisine was excellent, the portion size was plentiful and the ambiance of the restaurant is really quaint and cozy. The whole experience was wonderful from the minute we walked through the door until we left. We were happy, full, content and already planning a return trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemNicoleVIPDined on 10/16/2014I loved our dinner! Food, service and atmosphere was second to none!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014My husband and I ate here at our 5th anniversary and I still remember how wonderful the muscles were! 10 years later everything was as wonderful as I remembered it.Special Features:
- ExcellentLakesidezDined on 10/11/2014Was visiting a friend in Portsmouth who had heard good things about this restaurant. We shared the arugula, goat cheese and beet salad. I will remember this cheese for the rest of my life! BEST cheese I've ever tasted. One of us had the salmon, which was excellent. Another had a pasta dish, also excellent. I, however, was greatly disappointed with the cod that I ordered. The description involved lentils, which I love. It was a lentil puree, and it was absolutely flavor-free...very disappointing at such a posh place. The wine was superb (a pinot noir), and the bread pudding we had for dessert was a dream come true. Overall, very good. Had my cod had some flavor, I would have given this an all out great. Kinda of pricey, too.Special Features:
- Great mussels!JeannieDined on 10/8/2014We brought some mussel-loving leaf-peepers from Colorado. They (and we) enjoyed it very much!Special Features:
- Great place in Kittery MaineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Really enjoyed dinner at Anneke Jans. On a rare warm late September evening we sat with the windows open and a light breeze kept us comfortable. My daughter and I had the peach margarita which was excellent, my friend ordered a lemon drink that was very bitter. The waitress graciously took it back and replaced it. She later came back and shared that she tried it as well and agreed with my friend, saying it must have been made wrong. Our soup, pumpkin was good but a little salty. We each had different entrees, salmon, trout, and chicken which were excellent. the deserts all different were exemplary. The dinner was unrushed and well orchestrated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MassNHresidentDined on 9/27/2014Met friends for dinner . We had no expectations , just hoping the restaurant would be decent!Well, that feeling vanished upon entering the restaurant. From our greeting to the waitress...could not say enough as to how pleased we were. I have already suggested this restaurant in many people. Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Anneke "JAMS"!!!CPatrickWestVIPDined on 9/26/2014This place is fabulous! That's all you really need to know, now make your reservation and enjoy a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Meal!BirthdayVIPDined on 9/26/2014Fantastic food...outstanding service...what more could anyone want!Special Features:
- Late Summer Dining @ Anneke JansOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/20/2014Anneke Jans is a lively little restaurant in the now vibrant foodie area of Wallingford Square in Kittery , Maine. We had been several times , but not in the past year or two. The space has been enlarged and noise eliminating panels have been installed-it is a much more pleasant environment now. Our party of four was celebrating an engagement-the staff was congratulatory and overall attentive. Menu offerings -including cocktails, wine and food is very nice. Every item ordered was delicious(pomme frites & braised pork for apps.-venison,pork chop and cod were our entrees).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in Downtown KitteryCurtVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is an elegant place with excellent food and great service. We've dined here many times and it always pleases.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Evening!Sweetlife16Dined on 9/16/2014Sitting at the comfortable bar, our server was very attentive and the food was very fresh and delicious. Unusual to find skate on a menu - it was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet food in KitterymikbergDined on 9/14/2014A Boston level restaurant in downtown Kittery,ME. Very creative foods without driving to Boston. Will return on special occasions.Special Features:
- gibsonVIPDined on 9/6/2014Anneke Jans has been a regular visit during our annual travel to Maine, and we have enjoyed the inventive cuisine and exceptional service for the past 6 or 7 years. This year, however, the menu was less interesting, the food less creative, and the service unexceptional. The cocktails have lost their panache. The wine list is oddly selected and overpriced (I recognized one pedestrian Bordeaux that retails for $11 on the menu for $42). While still good, Anneke Jans is no longer excellent.
- WOWGzlouiseDined on 9/5/2014Never knew fried olives were so delicious! Great food with interesting combinations - Wild boar - delicious! Loved all of it from the apps - the olives, salads and entres. We were too full for desert! Next time we're leaving room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandyDined on 9/2/2014The food was amazing as always. Service perfect. All around great restaurant. A little quiet - we went on the Tuesday after Labor Day, but to be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingjroushVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was very good and our service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PerfectDCLadyVIPDined on 8/22/2014We have visited Anneke Jans a few times while passing through Kittery Maine. Each visit has been the same - great food prepared from the freshest local ingredients, warm gracious hospitality, and an enthusiastic staff happy to answer any questions about the food or the area. The drink selection is eclectic (in a good way). A wonderful gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience PlusLadyDiDined on 8/16/2014Great food, super service, and fabulous seating for our 39th wedding anniversary!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointingdinneroutDined on 8/15/2014We took some out of town friends to Anneka Jan's. We had been there many times. The food was good but I have dietary restrictions that require selection modifications. Our waiter was accommodating but in selecting vegetable side (roasted carrots) there were only 2 small ones hidden on the plate. In addition the noise factor was very distracting and not at all conducive to conversation. We were a party of 4 and were seated at a large round table which further prevented conversation. We also had a significantly long wait for dinner to arrive. I realize this is a popular restaurant and previous dining experiences have been exemplary. The ambiance - especially lighting and dark walls is soothing but way too noisy. We would still try again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoriteJulesDined on 8/15/2014We often joke that we go to Anneke Jans too much, with two small children Date nights are few and far between, we can count on Anneke Jans for an amazing meal, fantastic service and a great atmosphere. They never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant5StarDined on 8/8/2014This is our favorite restaurant to enjoy dinner with family and friends when vacationing in Ogunquit Just a short drive. Service was exemplary!!! Highlighted by chefs description of entrees from his station in the open kitchen...Get a few orders of pomme frittes for the table. Great food and wine....highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveningtlc946Dined on 8/1/2014Fine dining at it's best! Mussel appetizer was the best we've had and the sirloin was extremely flavorful and cooked to perfection, chicken and polluck delicious, as well. Pommes frites a must. Great wine list and terrific waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodjroushVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was very good and the service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!NicoleDined on 7/31/2014Four of us enjoyed dinner where the service was excellent and the food was amazing! It felt classy yet comfortable. I also loved it's location right downtown where you could enjoy the quantness of what an old small town offers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 946 reviews are from the Anneke Jans reviews archive.
- So soCorkyDined on 7/28/2014Food very good but once again two woman put in the noisiest seats in the house, while the place was only 40 per cent full. Service just ok.Special Features:
- SolidLuv2eatDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good. The service was excellent. For sure the chocolate tasting is a mugs for any chocolate lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.