Angel Oak Restaurant
3669 Savannah Hwy
Johns Island, SC 29455Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Angel Oak Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.angeloakrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (843) 556-7525
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chef Jay Kees
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from Angel Oak Restaurant
Mississippi native Chef Jay Kees and New York native wife Nicole Kees own and operate this cozy restaurant. They place a great importance on using the local farms and distributors. You will not find any microwaves or freezers at Angel Oak Restaurant. Every item is freshly made or brought in on a daily basis. It has been a local favorite since the day it opened. The love and care is shown through every aspect of the restaurant which includes the staff. The servers pay very close attention to your needs and have a great relationship with the guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Angel Oak Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (7)great for lunch (5)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Consistently excellentRixsVIPDined on 11/22/2014I have been going to this restaraunt since it opened 3 years ago. The food has been consistently excellent and is one of my favorite places to go. It is in an especially 'underserved' area and really meets a need of good food in the area. Menu changes seasonally and I have looked forward to all of them. Tuesday and Wednesdays are an especially appealing deal- entries for 2 and half-off good wine prices!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- T. GrahamhungrymanDined on 11/18/2014We went as a party of four, I asked for a quiet corner table and they had it waiting for us. We all ordered different dish's and every one was a gastronomic delight! I had the crab stuffed shrimp and was pleasantly surprised to receive Five Large shrimp all most over stuffed with crab. The others ordered The fish of the day, and Steak Chimychucka (Or something like that, in any case he loved it), I can't recall the forth dish. Just let me tell you, we all left there "well Fed" and satisfied! The service was exemplary, the food fantastic & the prices more than reasonable for the food you get. I will go back, probably many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Get Better Every DayFunferItaliansVIPDined on 10/18/2014I have been going to Angel Oak since they opened and they continue to improve every day. This is the best place to eat in the area!Special Features:
- Still Slamming!!!jollygrngiantDined on 10/17/2014Wife and I have been here many times, with friends, just us, and family. Everybody always says how much they loved their meal!! Staff is friendly! Nicole (owner) is very friendly and makes you feel at home. We have had everything off their menu and can't complain about anything! The specials change daily, and is the reason I keep stuffing my face at the Angel Oak!!!! Fresh, local, hospitality.......you can't beat it!!Special Features:
- Angel Oak Restaurant ReviewAgentDined on 9/26/2014I have been going to this restaurant since its opening. The food has been excellent up until the last two times. Service was excellent but the food was not good. We looked at this restaurant as being a great alternative to going downtown to dine. This view is changing. I want to keep coming but the quality of the food needs to change.
- Home grown foodjmcmDined on 9/19/2014Everything was cooked to order. Not the run of mill menu. Very busy. No, place to wait. Tables bit crowded. Great food and service.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!JRPCDined on 9/13/2014Second trip to this restaurant and I cannot say enough about how wonderful the food and ambiance are! We had delicious salads, drinks and dessert. The 'smores were delicious, banana pudding superb, fish and pork dishes wonderful! I will return again and again!Special Features:
- Quaint but priceyPLSGDined on 9/12/2014Positive: quaint atmosphere and good service. Negative: The tables are so close together we could easily hear the conversations at other tables. The tea tasted old. The food was just ok and definitely not worth the $79 for a date night.
- Angel Oak - A suprising Gem.PTLibraryLadyDined on 8/26/2014My husband and I visited once before based on reviews. It was wonderful and the food was fresh and very tasty. We returned a second time, making our reservation through Open Table, and again we were not disappointed. The staff is so friendly, the atmosphere quaint, and the food just plain perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First and Last Time at Angel OakAnnualVegasTravelerVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is the first time I've ever had to use a knife on tilapia. Enough said.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Angel Oak Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/29/2014Fab food! Our party included college age children and adults and we all loved the food. Fried chicken plates were LARGE :) Worth the drive from Kiawah / Seabrook for dinner. Small dining area so a reservation is a must during the summer months.Special Features:
- Great find in Charleston areaCarolBVIPDined on 7/5/2014Wonderful food in small restaurant off the Savannah highway in Johns Island area. Great pimento cheese appetizer and wedge salad. The braised pork special was unexpected and outstanding. The owner was very friendly and greeted everyone at the door and also stopped by our table. We enjoyed our meal so much that we are returning at end of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in areMJJJDined on 7/2/2014Having stayed in Kiawah, we stumbled upon this restaurant our last night. Best food of the trip by far at a reasonable price. Get the fried chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!Beach4meDined on 6/21/2014Another fabulous dinner at Angel Oak....the fried chicken is so delicious. The best was the tuna/avocado appetizer....WOW!! Nicole and group always make you feel welcome, we love it there!!!Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014It was delicious! We tried two appetizers and a little of each other's meals (4 in our family total) and everything was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodMattDined on 6/21/2014Food was pretty good. Could've had a little less flies and the server was a bit flustered and hard to understand. But we'll probably give the restaurant another shot.Special Features:
- Wonderful!JRPCDined on 6/20/2014We thought everything at Angel oak was PERFECT! It's a "down home" comfortable restaurant. We had the Piggy Mac, Tuna Tartar, Country Fried Steak, Shrimp and Grits and the Pork Chop. Everything was PERFECT. My only regret was that I could not have dessert!!!! We are from NY but we visit Seabrook Island and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Surprise2fordinnerDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I had dinner here last Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Nicole, co-owner, greeted us upon our arrival and then came over to our table twice more to talk. Our server, Mark (?), was absolutely awesome, answering any questions we had (this was our first time at Angel Oak), always with a smile. The food was very good and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Angel Oak June 1stwilmguyvzVIPDined on 6/1/2014When we arrived for our 10am reservation the hostess stated she didn't have our reservation. The waiter after taking our drink order stated "we have a large party in less an hour so will need the table" I questioned the hostess she stated she found our reservation but sat another table there but could move us if we wanted to get the bottomless Mimosa's. Three of the party of 5 ordered the pancake special. They were dry and when asked for more syrup were told that is extra. I asked to address the hostess when asked how the meal was and was told was policy for any in house sauce. She stated she would take if off the bill. At the end of the meal the hostess/owner dismissed me and walked away. Not way to treat your paying guests
- A hidden gem in Johns IslandATJohnsIslandDined on 5/30/2014Fresh local farm ingredients. Made to ordèr. Outstanding chef. Extraordinary cuisine. Great service. Rustic ambience. Very happy to find you in our hometown, Johns Island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/21/2014We found Angel Oak through a recommendation from a stranger, so I was a bit wary, but they had me as soon as I walked through the door! It's just a charming, fun place where the food happens to be fantastic. We had a party of 6 and all of us ordered different menu items and we also tried a few appetizers. The food was great. We're from the northeast, so we can't judge the authenticity of their Southern cooking, but we know we loved it. The service was friendly and accommodating. We come to this area of SC on vacation often, so we'll be back. It's a new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Dinner PerfectionJandWRDined on 5/17/2014Food was excellent, and the service was attentive and unhurried. Our server Mark seemed genuinely excited about the menu, and eager to help with our selections. The fried chicken and planked salmon proved excellent choices, while the candied brussel sprouts were worth the trip by themselves. We are still talking about the fresh and hot beignets with chocolate dipping sauce! We especially enjoyed the early dinner hours as we arrived just before 5, and enjoyed a leisurely meal prior to the evening rush. Worth the drive from Summerville, or wherever you are!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Angel OakBob4VIPDined on 5/7/2014Great dinner for four service is outstanding. Angel Oak has become our favorite in West Ashley.Special Features:
- Great place!GoodeatsDined on 5/6/2014On a tour of the Tea Plantation and Angel Oak Tree, we found Angel Oak Restaurant online. Four of us each had something different and we were all very pleased with our lunches. Would recommend it. It is easy to miss the restaurant, as their sign is very small for noticing on a very busy highway.Special Features:
- Simple but elegantNunbetterDined on 5/2/2014We went there for my birthday celebration and although it was the first time we were very gratified with the experience. The owners are very dedicated to their endeavor and it shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real FindUnexpectedDined on 4/25/2014A really great restaurant food was way better than we expected. Service was excellent, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PanthergirlDined on 4/23/2014Extremely tasty food especially the fried chicken and large portions. Great country atmosphere and the staff is remarkably friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful...againShaniDined on 4/22/2014Again, we had a great meal. This time I was glad for my husband that there was a special for the soft-shell crab. He said that it was well cleaned and oh-so-great tasting. Our friend Michael F. and I had the fried chicken. Both he and I were satiated with your great food. We were there on a Tuesday evening and thus the chicken dinners were 2 for $30 plus a free dessert (normally $16 each and the dessert would be extra). We tell everyone about y'all....and for good reason!Special Features:
- Second Time Back00svtmanDined on 4/12/2014The food was as good the second time as the first. The first time our waiter was excellent bar none, but the second time our waitress forgot my house salad, brought the wrong veggies with the meal and only visited out table 4 times the whole meal. The restaurant was not nearly as busy as the first time on our second visit. but the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2014Love the Lowcountry Eggs Benedict and Beignets! We always have friendly and attentive service.Special Features:
- Great food in the West Ashley areaMountaineerSteveDined on 3/28/2014Angle Oak’s food is as good as the more expensive restaurants on the main peninsula. The restaurant itself is small with a quaint atmosphere. Service was very good and the prices reasonable. We went with another couple, all 4 meals were perfect and we also enjoyed some great beers. My duck was cooked perfectly and the candied Brussels sprouts were surprisingly delicious. The wife said her pasta of the day, a fettuccine dish with pork cheeks, was the best pasta dish she has ever had. The bang bang shrimp over grits, was spicy and very good, although the fried green tomatoes could have had a little less breading. The catch of the day was a flounder filet , cooked perfectly over cheese grits and spinach which was a perfect combination.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch BunchBob4VIPDined on 3/23/2014Most enjoyable Sunday brunch for our group of eight that turned out to be six. Staff was very accommodating with the seating as there was a possibility that the last two might show. Great food at a reasonable price everything seemed to include eggs, I had no problem subtitling collards that went great with my fried flounder and grits. Everyone was most complimentary about their food and drinks. The watermelon cocktail is the type one could sit around the pool and drink all afternoon. Barbara and I have had dinner on one other occasion and was most enjoyable. Staff worked very hard to keep us happy. And did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the way diningFishFanVIPDined on 3/1/2014Angel Oak is a quaint, well run restaurant far from the downtown crowd. The staff was excellent, attentive and friendly. My wife and I have eaten there before and always pleased with our dining experience. The server was pleasant, caring for our challenging group. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a downtown meal in the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Cute!!!mbjbride06Dined on 2/18/2014This place is all cute southern charm with big flavor. Wow – when we pulled up to the restaurant we weren’t sure what to make of the small size and at first glance disarrayed outdoor appearance. The inside is a an array of reclaimed wood, mason jars serving sweet tea, and brown paper table “cloths”. Nearly all menu items are sourced locally, with mention of all purveyors listed on the menu. Earlier in the day I had a hankering for a chicken biscuit. I was in luck – this was the Blue Plate meal today. We also shared the fried pickle chips-the best ever! We loved the personalized service, charming ambience, and the amazing southern-inspired local cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The owner and the staff wereKatinchasDined on 2/15/2014The owner and the staff were friendly, and very accommodating, although our server was a little flustered (and it was only 6 pm). The duck I had was delicious; unfortunately my husband's crab cake was not even close to warm, so he sent it back, the second crab cake was cool as well, and he said it was "mushy". Too bad since this was part of his entrée. At the end of the meal our server gave us the wrong check, when he returned with the correct check I asked him if he credited my account for the wrong check, he assured me he had. The wrong charge is still on my debit account four days later, I'll give it one more day, at which time I'll have to go through the hassle of getting it fixed. We'll go back, it's definitely worth another chance.Special Features:
- Very good and friendly intimateYo44Dined on 2/14/2014Very good and friendly intimate local resturant. Very friendly service and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this Neighborhood Spot!FountainjDined on 2/14/2014We live really close by and this was our 2nd time dining at Angel Oak. Always a treat. Love the atmosphere and the food cannot be beat. Might be our new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Valentine PackageLOwensDined on 2/14/2014It was a nice surprise to have a package deal offered for Valentine's Day. Three courses to share with wines with each course. Salad was nicely prepared. Beef was a little dry, but the sauce was outstanding. Champagne with dessert was nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found By Chance • I'll be back!PassingThroughDined on 2/5/2014With a few hours to kill over lunch, I wanted to find a simple little place that served as much local food as possible. I'm a sucker for mom and pop shops. I found Angel Oak by chance but I'm so glad I did! I felt as though I was in a friend's dining room. The ambiance was simple and vintage inspired and the food was fantastic - Bang-Bang Shrimp and Grits. Of course the "Buy Local, Cook Local, Eat Local" slogan did a lot for me too. Worth the drive out of Charleston if you've got the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and quaintSCnativeDined on 2/1/2014We were greeted by one of the owners and seated immediately, as we had reservations. She was very friendly. The food was good, but heavy on the meat, especially pork and bacon. Not very vegetarian-friendly as the vegetables were cooked in bacon fat. Biscuits were served before the meal with a little bit of butter. Honey or jam would have made it better. The seafood was fresh and local. The grits were superb. The sweet tea was good. The atmosphere was country chic and very quaint. The prices were reasonable for the quality of the food, especially given its location. I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.