3737 W Chapman Ave
Orange, CA 92868Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.anepalcoscafe.com/
- Phone: 7144569642x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Mexican, French
- Executive Chef: Daniel Godinez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Tell us a few details of your occasion, and we can create an special menu for your event.
- Private Party Facilities: Ayres Hotel has two wonderful and beautiful Private Rooms to offer to our guests. Call us today for an appointment, and get a tour of the Cardiff or Alpine Room.
- Private Party Contact: Amaryllis Lopez/Jose Cerrudo 7144569642x
A word from Anepalco's Cafe
Welcome to Anepalco's Cafe. We are a Mexican-French Fussion Restaurant. We offer a great variety of options in our menu. From our Signature Dish The Chilaquiles, to French-Style Omelettes and Lunch Crepes for brunch, to Serrano Beurre Blanc Tilapia, Costillas al Vino Rojo, or Not a Paella for dinner. Come to Anepalco's Cafe and enjoy of an unforgettable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Anepalco's Cafe - Best Restaurants in Orange ›
Anepalco's Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (7)good for groups (6)romantic (5)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Pleasant Experience9erdogDined on 10/5/2014We've been to Anepalco's several times and enjoyed the unique mix of Mexican with French flair food. The servers are knowledgeable and very pleasant, the food is excellent, and the pricing is great. Recommend any of the egg dishes with either the red or green sauce. The sandwiches also looked good but we have yet to try them. Unique cocktails as well nicely prepared. We plan on returning to this and the Main Street location (which is smaller and a bit more crowded).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must tryBipGDined on 9/26/2014Every item was carefully done and presented. Check this place out if you are a foodie. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- expect good food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014Arrived prior to our 11am reservation. Checked in. After 20 minutes, we asked again and we're seated. The notes I made on the open table reservation form were not acknowledged. We had a 1.5yr old, and a high chair and kids menu still had to be requested. Birthday wasn't acknowledged. After 10 minutes they took our drink order. Another 15 minutes went by before we ordered food. Upon service of the food, another beer was ordered. Said beer was not brought until the food was nearly gone. Food was delicious. I would consider going back just for the chilaquiles.The waters were kept full. We finally got the check, but while we were waiting for them to process everything, they asked for our high chair. Overall the service was just poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food portion was too smallunfortunatelyDined on 9/20/2014The food took so long to cook, the portion was way too small, you leave still feeling hungry, and you have to eat a lot of bread to feel full. The food was excellent, but I would not come back because the price was too high for a cafe.Special Features:
- Wonderful Corporate Meeting DinnerNeetersDined on 9/17/2014The staff was wonderful in making sure that our table was set up properly and ahead of our reserved time. The staff was courteous and attentive. The food was very tasty and the presentation was outstanding. We had a party of 11 and never felt rushed or that we were an inconvenience. We were welcomed and well taken care of. Outstanding restaurant!!!Special Features:
- great unique Mexican twistmaverickguyDined on 8/28/2014You can't really call this Mexican food per se, but it does nod in that direction. But you can definitely see the French influence as well. We were a party of four and everyone loved their dishes. Me and my friend both ordered the "not Pa'ella" and it was really, really good! I have been to Barcelona and this paella was better than what I had there... Can't wait to go back and try other things as well. Kind of in a strange location, you go into the Ayres Hotel lobby and then into the restaurant, but who cares, it is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JERRIINMISSIONVIEJODined on 7/26/2014This place is almost perfect. Had the Huevos Divorciados, which was probably hands down the best breakfast,( except for the old Delaneys in Newport) except...we had to wait what seemed eternity for our meal to show up. This also applied to the coffee, which took forever also to arrive. But once they finally made the coffee, it flowed. You would think they would be prepared for their guests ahead of time. Perhaps they were short of staff, yes maybe they got slammed, but everyone was seated so it wasn't like people were still waiting on line outside. So if you're patient, you will be rewarded with the most marvelous food you can eat anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodGoodUbuDined on 7/20/2014If this amazing food were served up in a trendier location there would be lines out the door. Till them I'm going to keep coming back here without needing a reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not vegetarian friendlyMiKeyta22Dined on 7/18/2014We had a large group and overall we enjoyed the experience. We had three vegetarians who had very limited options. We probably would have picked another restaurant if we knew this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014Seated promptly upon arriving at our brunch reservation time. Initial service for drinks and explaining menu were fine. Parking was adequate and the decor looked fine. Actually, water and coffee were constantly being filled without request, so kudos for being attentive. We had a wide selection of entrees, but they were all over seasoned - we couldn't finish them. Even the zucchini soup was over salted. It was 45 minutes from ordering to food arriving. I couldn't get anyone to bring our check and when they did, it took forever to have them come back to pick it up. We spent close to 2 hours there - totally frustrating. Salty food, slow kitchen, and automatically adding a tip for a group of 6 is lame.Special Features:
- A Surprise Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014It was Sunday and I didn't know where to go for lunch. Looked on OpenTable for a recommendation and found this spot. Got the Cuban sandwich and was pleasantly surprised! It totally hit the spot! Lots of flavor! And the Chilaquiles with carnitas was pretty good too! I definitely will comeback again!Special Features:
- The following 91 reviews are from the Anepalco's Cafe reviews archive.
- It try's so hard to be fancyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014The food here is great but between always waiting 15 mins to sit (even when the restaurant is EMPTY)a waitress whispering like I'm in a really expensive restaurant, to not letting me sit down before my whole party arrives, to the cook refusing to change his recipes...even though it's really close to me, and I love the food, this place is maddening to dine at, it's literally embarrassing every time I bring friends hereSpecial Features:
- What a pleasant surprise!EllenVIPDined on 6/13/2014We really enjoyed the food at Anepalco's. The service was really attentive. The ambiance is so-so. But the food makes up for the lack of ambiance. We tried to sit outside but it is overlooking the parking lot and the street is quite noisy so we sat inside and it was a bit cold.I had a delicious beet salad and the ratatouile burger. My husband loved his food as did our friends who were with us. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ignore the hotelElephantwalkVIPDined on 6/3/2014This restaurant is attached to a hotel, but ignore that. The food is great and you should give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BreakfastocbusriderDined on 6/1/2014DO NOT plan to eat and run, you will be here for a little while, does not matter if its breakfast, lunch or dinner. I have been to both locations and the food is fabulous. Not sure if they have increased their pricing but it was a little high this last weekend, 6 people 117.00 that includes gratuity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishchefaVIPDined on 5/28/2014The bloody mary's , red chilaquilies and chipotle crepes were all amazingly delicious. The service was pretty good too. If you are in the area you have to check this place out the food is worth the trip.Special Features:
- BattyDined on 5/23/2014This was a great place to celebrate my graduation. Great people, great food, great music. The staff makes great suggestions on what to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO TO THERE!D66253Dined on 5/20/2014My love affair with Anepalco's started with Anepalco's Cafe on Main behind CHOC, a hole in the wall in the middle of a strip of vacant units and flailing businesses. Their chilaquiles alone was enough to get me hooked! My friends took me out for a birthday dinner and I chose Anepalco's Chapman location to see what one of my favorite names could do for dinner. I was in no way disappointed with the food. Blew me away! This place should be attached to a 4-star hotel, not an Ayres Hotel. That's not a knock against Ayres, but a testament to what the chef has done with the eclectic menu. FAIR WARNING: the macaroni is served with an onion jus that is a bit on the sweet side, so it will throw you off, especially if you're a salty person like me.Special Features:
- probably won't go back....notarydiDined on 5/17/2014Food was good. Would like to have seen some appetizers on the menu. Waited 45 minutes to get our food. Bread or chips or something would have been nice. Other tables were complaining of the slow service as well.Special Features:
- OC's Best BrunchkuietfoodieDined on 5/4/2014We found Anepalcos at Brunch to have a full menu of wines, beers on tap, mixed drinks and the most flavorful cuisine. The creative menu of French-Mexican dishes are amazing, it was difficult for us to make a decision.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealgoldharvDined on 5/3/2014We've been before. This time we brought friends. They loved it, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPreciosDined on 4/30/2014Excellent food and service, I love the fact that they also have Mexican wines, some of the best in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so specialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014They are trying to hard to be something else. The food was too buttery and salty. Everything tasted the same. There are some creative touches but at the end it all fizzles. Tables were crammed close together.
- Wonderful dining experienceFoodie90630VIPDined on 4/26/2014Had been wanting to come here for quite some time. My family and I had a late lunch on a saturday afternoon. I was not disappointed. Great food. Excellent service provided by Dahlia. Had the huevos perdidos. It was awesome. Wife had the enchiladas trio which was also very good. The dining room is rather stark without much to dampen sounds. I'm glad there were only two other tables of diners during most of our meal. Several large groups arrived as we finished our meal and the noise level increased significantly as a result. I look forward to going back for lunch on a sunny day so that I can dine on the patio.Special Features:
- Truly Memorable Meal!kleokatraDined on 4/19/2014I don't know where to start with reviewing this restaurant, other than to say it was the best meal of our entire vacation in the LA area. On a whim, we booked a table based solely on the fact that it said it was Mexican cuisine and the reviews on OpenTable. We were greeted in a friendly and warm manner, and greeted by a friendly and outgoing server. The food, the food! The idea that it would be Mexican food with "French" fusion was a bit off-putting at first - we came for the Mexican after all. However, it was explained that the Chef provides authentic Mexican food made using French culinary techniques. Our meal was amazing, we cannot say enough about it! It definitely left us craving more!!Special Features:
- service :(WayfarerDined on 4/19/2014The good here was pretty good with a lovely blend of Mexican and French foods. Even with the no substitute rule and them not being able to split the check we were fine with the food but the service was not up to par here. Our cups were always empty and we waited forever for the check and even longer for our change. It was a very frustrating meal. Though the food was great I don't think we will be back.Special Features:
- Other reviews were rightgoldharvDined on 4/5/2014My wife and I came to Anepalcos for our anniversary. We had eaten breakfast at their Main St. location and loved it, too. The dinner was way over the top. Really innovative food.Special Features:
- Special dinnerHungrygirlDined on 3/28/2014This restaurant was ranked top 10 by OC magazine and that is why we tried it. The staff was very attentive and accommodating. Although the food was very flavorful it was hit and miss...my food arrived barely warm and another entre was partially undercooked even though we were early diners and the restaurant was far from busy. The decor is not notable. Although it was tasty, we will not return.Special Features:
- Interesting pork belly sandwichSnowmanJDined on 3/28/2014As the waiter politely warned on the toughness of the pork belly sandwich and recommended the carnita version, I had to overcome my hesitation to make the decision. The sandwich was beautifully presented, and flagrance of the meat had me salivating immediately. The first bite was indeed a bit hard but the meat was torn away from the sandwich with minimal effort. As I chewed on the juicy bite, the mildly charred scent blended nicely with the fresh veggies and the bun, and then I found out that the toughness of the meat had another purpose... so that you can allow the taste to linger in your mouth while you chew on it. I was glad I ordered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too saucyyum101VIPDined on 3/15/2014I really wanted to like Anepalco's. It's a truly original menu, but the execution was a little off. We started out with the ceviche, which was excellent, but oddly served with what appeared to be Doritos chips. (I'm sure they weren't really Doritos, but they tasted like them.) I ordered the sirloin adobo. It was a great cut of meat, but smothered in Adobo sauce that tasted a lot like A1. I ended up taking it home. I enjoyed it more the next day as leftover lunch because I scraped all the sauce off before reheating it. My girlfriend had the scallops and thought the same thing: too much sauce. The staff was very friendly though. The other reviewers seemed to have enjoyed the experience more. Maybe we went on an off night.
- Not Your Average "Hotel" RestaurantBirthdaysDined on 3/7/2014This restaurant is right next to Ayres Hotel and I thought it's part of the hotel. The food and service were awesome! Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad tomatillo sauce, wilted saladsKidrepDined on 2/16/2014Ordered the steak and cheese crepe with tomatillo sauce. 1 hour wait, food arrived tepid and the sauce tasted off. The rice was cold but I like cold rice so ate all of that. The ceasar salad was a head of romaine with the stem cut off, drowned in dressing and was wilted. Let the waiter and the manager know that my entrée was no bueno, and my dinner partner was given a complimentary glass of wine! Unsure why I was not given a complimentary anything or a new entree. The staff were attentive, and acknowledged food was sub-par but kept pouring water into my glass even though I wasn't drinking any of it. Enormous plates with small portions. My dinner date had scallops on a bed of polenta which he said was good, but his salad was also wilted.
- Beautiful MexiFrench CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014I've always known Anepalco's for its breakfast menu and have caught a glimpse of their lunch menu before. This time that I visit though was to check out what they offered for dinner at this second location of theirs. Mexican flavors with French techniques - what a concept! The menu items were all so tantalizing but we finally made our decision and shared a Queso Fundido to start. That was a beautiful dish. One thing that Chef Godinez does so well is make impeccable sauces so the tomato base the cheese was swimming in was perfect. I really enjoyed my Arrachera and my friend loved his Cielo, Mer y Terre. Even the dessert (a mango chile pannacotta) was very tasty. Great service, great food, and beautiful arrangements - I need to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different but greatkirkDined on 2/5/2014This resturant says it is Mexican but the choices are definetly different from your standard overdone Mexican resturant. I can recommend the creps and standards, enchillatas. Sevice a bit slow and not attentive but friendly and helpful. Overall we really enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- Expansion/renovation was underwayTVS92705Dined on 1/31/2014Expansion/renovation was underway during our visit (January 31, 2014). The room was a bit starck and dark (hard to read menu). Food was good and service was great. Would like to return after remodel is complete.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!RobertoDined on 1/24/2014The good: Food was well presented and tasted great! My wife has insisted we return. The bad: If you sit outside, avoid being too close to the hotel entrance. Smokers tend to gather there and their smoke will travel into the outdoor seating area.There are no heaters outside.Poor lighting. Hard to read the menu at night (outside). The ugly: Inside looks like seating is crammed together. One look and we opted for the nicer looking patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/24/2014I loved the food, it was amazing. I got the French Truffle Burger, the meat and toppings were great and more than enough! I loved the soft brioche bun as well. The fries were cotija fries, they were a tad small, but didn't disappoint. To drink I got a guava mimosa, the champagne was dry, and altogether, not too sweet. I definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Ambience and ServicekrisblissDined on 1/9/2014Best Red Chilaquilies and Guava Mimosas are my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There's a surprise inside!BuckWinchesterDined on 1/3/2014Too many times have I driven by the Anap[alco Cafe and not paid any notice to it. A "cafe" attached to a small hotel? How good could it be? Surprisingly good if you ask me. The staff is pleasant from the start & attentive throughout but not bothersome. The ambience is on the plain side but then also does not distract. The music can be odd but then is also just background and not intrusive if you wish to have a conversation which is easy to do and not strain yourself. The menu is on the small side which can mean one of two things: They do not have much talent in the kitchen; or, they have a lot of talent in the kitchen and the later is the case at Anepalco Cafe. We have dined here three times and not been disappointed with a single dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not badcesarDined on 12/18/2013My wife and I were celebrating our 18th yr anniversary and Anepalcos was recommended by a trusted source. The food was good as was the wine list since it contained many LA Cetto wines. A bit pricey on the food, though. Our huarache appetizer was decent. The low point for it was the sauce that was used on it. It tasted just like the most bland pizza sauce imaginable. The shrimp on the huarache was good but, again, that sauce was less than acceptable. Our entrees were very tasty. The bread brought to our table was ok. The spread that was provided for the bread had great color but hardly ANY taste whatsoever. Service was great and attentive. Would perhaps return but only for a very special occasion.Special Features: