228 South Adams St.
Tallahassee, FL 32301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://andrewsdowntown.com/
- Phone: 8502223444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Glen Mayer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Host your next private party, business meeting, banquet and/or rehearsal dinner in one of 228's private rooms. 228 can accommodate parties from two to 50. We invite you to visit us at 228; reservations are encouraged for small and required for large parties
- Private Party Facilities: Host your next private party, business meeting, banquet and/or rehearsal dinner in one of 228's private rooms. 228 can accommodate parties from two to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Brandi Phillips 850-222-0153
A word from Andrew's 228
For more than 30 years, Andrew's has been a part of Downtown Tallahassee. Located next door to The Capitol and City Hall, Andrew's is the perfect spot for downtown dining. If you're looking for award winning Italian cuisine with great steaks, fresh seafood and a big city feel, Andrew's 228 is the place for you.Andrew's 228 SUMMER SPECIAL, 4 Course Dinner for Two for only $49.99! The menu and daily specials are complimented by a full bar, desserts and coffees, and a comprehensive and comprehensible wine list. 228's delicious starters included Butternut Squash Ravioli, Lobster/Shrimp 'Cargot' and Tempura Fried Oysters. Follow up 228's delicious appetizers with the Tuscan Chicken, Grouper Picatta, or Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Andrew's 228 - Best Restaurants in Tallahassee ›
Andrew's 228 reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)romantic (23)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (10)notable wine list (8)good for groups (7)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful foodTallyTrishDined on 8/16/2014The food is different and the menu changes periodically. The servers are friendly and attentive. Great locally owned restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old reliableChuckmeisterDined on 8/16/2014Plans to dine with another couple went awry when the first choice turned out to be out of business, and Andrews was nearby. What luck! We've been here before, but only several times over several years, and enjoyed it each time. After tonight's dinner, we asked ourselves, why did we wait so long to come back? Pork chop with shrimp dressing? Wow - whoda thunk it? Moist, tender and more than enough to take some back home. But, bet you won't!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday gone rightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014We have made Andrew's our "special event" spot and they never disappoint. See you again soon...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our dinner!!!JustabrowsinDined on 8/13/2014Everything from the bacon wrapped scallop and escargot, to the wedge salad, to the filet and bronzed snapper....cooked to perfection, and satisfied our palates. My compliments to the chef!! Plus, very cozy and quiet allowing for intimate conversation without having to raise our voices. We'll be back!!! (Actually that was our second dinner date at Andrews in a week's time) And thanks for the surprise birthday dessert for my friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Salad had a hair. Big group of people next to us gettig drunk on bottles of wine becoming very loud. Steak was suppose to be be medium well and was well NO pink at all not even a tad. Server was great. Sat us at the table right by stairs which was very tiny and very loud due to high volume of traffic around there
- Great service, outstanding cuisine!Nolegirl65Dined on 7/26/2014Wonderful again! Andrews 228 is a great place to dine in Tallahassee!Special Features:
- Dinner with Special FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Dinner was great, really appreciate this fantastic local restaurant. Only downside, separate prices for salads are high ($9-$10+) and makes dinner total very expensive. Salads were delicious, but wish they were included in dinner price.Special Features:
- mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The service and atmosphere were great. The food is mediocre at best. The bread balls were dry and crumbly but soaked in oil. I had the lobster grilled cheese and my bread was tough and oily. My wife had the ny strip and it had no flavor for the price you can definitely find a better steak in town. We were really disappointed in the food.Special Features:
- Everything was goodJohnnyDined on 7/5/2014Everything was good, not great. It started off great... Great service, delicious food, perfect wine selection. But towards the end, service tapered off and the brownie gnoushe*** was less than impressive. It took us almost as long to get our check as it did to get our wine, appetizers, and main course. However, I will still go back due to the romantic setting and unbelievable food (for the most part).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsSrmteachDined on 7/5/2014Andrews 228 always has good food with wonderful service. Like how they incorporate local foods into their menu -- the Bradley sausage with figs and oceans appetizer was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfinderVIPDined on 6/25/2014Had delicious meal caprese salad, Caesar salad, beet salad, morrocan chicken skewers, Bradley's sausage with figs & pecans, & salmon entree! Great service & ambience! Will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date night!FoodieChickDined on 6/24/2014What a hidden gem! I've lived in Tallahassee for nearly 6 years and had no idea that there was a restaurant below Andrews Bar & Grill! Thanks to the recent Groupon though, my boyfriend and I were happy to try Andrews 228. The bread and butter itself would have gotten me to give raving reviews! We continued our meal with the escargot, myself, a chicken dish, and my boyfriend, the braised snapper. All of this followed by the trio of strawberry desserts. Our server (can't remember her name) was wonderful! As a past server of 8 years, I don't say that too often. She was very knowledgeable of the menu and checked up on us often without coming off as overbearing. All in all, great dinner... Well done! :)Special Features:
- Cpnsistantly goodOzzyDined on 6/24/2014Great food as always!! Grouper Picatta & Bronzed Snapper both fresh & wonderful.Special Features:
- Father's Day CelebrationVA757Dined on 6/16/2014Andrew's 228 is a great place to dine. This was my second time dining here and I was not disappointed. The food was exquisite. They have a wonderful staff who provides excellent service. It's a wonderful place to have a special celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodEatit57Dined on 6/14/2014Great good but a bit of a strange layout. Felt like we were in a dungeon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Andrews 228hospitality1Dined on 5/31/2014We went for our son's high school graduation. Had never been before, but heard it was good. I heard there was a room that was very dark and requested NOT to get that room. That is the room we got seated in...the basement with only 3 other tables. No one else was there for awhile (we had 6PM reservation when they opened) and I really was surprised that they could not have accommodated us in the area we would have preferred. Better ambiance for a romantic date than a high school graduation celebration. But the service was good and the only complaint about the food was that the steaks were a little undercooked, otherwise delicious! Especially delicious was the shrimp and eggplant appetizer!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable dining experienceSonomabeanDined on 5/24/2014On past visits, we were seated along a wall of two-tops, one after the other, and far too close to other tables for any sense of romance, or quiet conversation. On this occasion, we were seated in the other (more open) dining area, which led to a wonderful, quiet, and very enjoyable dining experience, with very nice ambiance. The filets were outstanding, as was the calamari appetizer. The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeHammerDined on 5/23/2014One of the few great places to eat in tallahassee. The food and presentation were exceptional. The bread basket and flavored butters were awesome. The nightly special was Devine. The only disappointment was the dessert selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night out on the townSooooogood2014Dined on 5/10/2014Spending time with family and friends while enjoying good food was a night to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good nightWhooplaDined on 5/5/2014Server acted as though she didn't want to be there. When food arrived, the crab tasted like ammonia. A clear sign it was bad. Asked server to inform chef so they wouldn't serve more. No apology, no offer to replace. No service.
- The following 220 reviews are from the Andrew's 228 reviews archive.
- Classy Fine DiningWeGetAroundDined on 4/22/2014We went for our anniversary and it was great, great food, atmosphere and service. I recommend it as a local Tallahassee gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had small plates--escargot,foodfinderVIPDined on 4/12/2014Had small plates--escargot, Bradley's sausage, and chips and dips--all VERY good. Dessert was like a smores tart--delicious!! LOVE the 1/2 price wines by the glass! Would definitely go back here again!!Special Features:
- Springtime Tallahassee eveningSusanDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant was empty when we arrived at 7 pm,but quickly filled with a vibrant group of diners who were all enjoying themselves. .The menu was full of wonderful appetizer and entree choices and the wine list was well priced and extensive as were the beautiful cocktails. We ordered the oyster appetizer and a chicken and pork dish,and all were truly well prepared and very delicious. The portions were so generous that we got to enjoy both meals for lunch the next day. Our waiter was perfectly attentive the entire evening. The decor was somewhat NOLA inspired, and very pleasing to the eye and the appetite. As downtown Tallahassee restaurants go, this is surely one of the best. The cost is very reasonable too, so what are you waiting for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFineDineGDined on 3/28/2014Went with my girlfriend because we wanted dress up a bit. The food was incredible, and came out quickly. The service was just what you'd want: everything you need without being over zealous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks like you are in a cave.AlessandraVIPDined on 3/15/2014Looks like you are in a cave. The chairs were all dirty. The place smells very bad. The food was terrible! I think I will not trust Trip Advisor's comment anymore.
- A DandypappyDined on 2/22/2014My wife and I wanted to get out of town for a night and we thought we'd give this restaurant a try. The prices on the menu seemed very reasonable. We were blown away by the food presentation and quality. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu and how the food was being prepared. It exceeded our expectations. Steak was great - cooked perfectly and our waitress worked to explain their cooking scale ahead of time. Decor is great, beautiful restaurant - if you are in town then you have to go unless you like spending more for less. perfect.Special Features:
- very nice @228eddieDined on 2/15/2014very nice dinner with some friends, good menu selection and even better wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceTlhdinerDined on 2/14/2014The talk of the town... We must have gone on a bad day. Service was terrible, food nothing to brag about, and very loud in there!
- Great Valentines Day!PorterDined on 2/14/2014Thank you for the great food! It was a romantic setting and made our Valentiines Day perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Evening!JamesDined on 2/14/2014Our table was waiting for us, good service, great food. It was a good evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Valentines dinnerLarrDined on 2/13/2014I took my wife out the night before Valentines because we don't like being rushed. We decide to try Andrews 228 because we heard good things about it. We had reservations for 7:30 and we were sat down right away which is a good start. We sat for a few minutes looking the menu over and our waiter came and ask us if we would like something to drink. We oredered our drinks and then oedered small plate appetizers, spanish sausage and capesse salad. The apps were ok. Nothing special. We ordered dinner. The atmosphere is not loud so we could sit and talk normally. Dinner was good but not great. For the money we spent would would come back but it would only be for a very special occasion not as a regular place to eat.Special Features:
- The food was good, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014The food was good, but not outstanding. $20 for a plate of penne with a few pieces of beef tenderloin thrown in? Seems a bit steep. My wife had the grouper, and it was good, but again--$28 for grouper with some mashed potatoes. I don't mind spending money on good food, but this was overpriced decent food. Probably will not return, though the service was great.
- Great local, quiet restaurantLucasDined on 2/1/2014I go to Andrews 228 for special occasions. Had a wonderful dinner with my wife. The place was quiet and the ambience is made for a romantic evening. The food and drinks were wonderful. It is situated downstairs from ground level, so there are no windows. However, the décor and atmosphere is simple and romantic. A nice change from the noisy upscale places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingBooty34Dined on 1/31/2014Due to whole right side of the restaurant being reserved we were seating right on top of another couple on the left side. They were the only couple in the room so we asked to be seating elsewhere. We ended up in front of the service bar which was fine, but we had to listen to all of the employee's conservations about their social activities. Besides that it is was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not vegetarian friendly, at allLodgebuilderDined on 1/11/2014Many restaurants do not cater to vegetarians, but the chef can always make an appropriate dish. That option was not offered. I ended up with a side dish of spinach and my wife's side of potatoes. I also ate a basket of bread. My wife's pork chop was very good she says, but she did not like the fact there was nothing on the menu for me! If one claims to be a top tier restaurant, than a vegetarian option is a must. I was disappointed and will not return.
- Great food and atomosphereAliHallDined on 12/31/2013I went to to 228 on New Years Eve with my husband and another couple. The food was really great and so was the atmosphere. Kind of romantic and classy, but low-key. The gorgonzola cheesecake is not as good as it used to be, though! Our server was very nice and helpful, but could have been a little more attentive or used some help in terms of bussing the table. I believe this was probably because she was really busy since it was New Years. We were in and out with martinis, wine, apps, and a meal in an hour and a half, which was nice since we had plans afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escellent Anniversary DinnerkarmanncoachDined on 11/23/2013Andrew's 228 is only open for dinner, but the café upstairs does lunch and dinner and is nice for outdoor dining as well. The food and service are equally good at both locations; 228 is a little upscale in terms of menu, ambience, and wallet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we went backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2013Haven't been here in over 10 years and was pleasantly surprised with the decor and excellent food! The food was always great; but, seemed even better now! Don't miss this great place when you visit Tallahassee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grouper Heaven!!VisitingMomDined on 10/25/2013I could not wait to dine at this restaurant as I had previewed the menu before hand. It did not disappoint. The crab cake appetizer had so much flavor - truly delicious. Even though there were a lot of items on the menu I could have ordered, I stuck with my original intent which was the Grouper Picatta. It had just the right amount of lemon and capers and the fish was so very tender. I love wine as well and was able to try a delicious Pinot Grigio from Italy that I had never had before and it was delicious as was the Pinot Noir from Washington State. Great find in downtown Tally!Special Features:
- Special occasionTallyreviewDined on 10/19/2013We had dined at this restaurant in the past and always considered it one of the go to places for very special occasions. I don't know if it is that our community has expanded it's choices but we found the service just average. It seemed there was just one waiter for our areas and he was pleasant but not overly attentive. The food was good but not especially out of the ordinary or awesome. It was a bit pricey which we expected but we expected to get a more special dining experience. We will probably not return.Special Features: