188 Spring St.
Newton, NJ 07860Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.andresrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9733004192
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: Special Events,
Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Andre deWaal
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: All of our catering is customized to suit your needs.
Has two dining rooms. One can accommodate up to 30 people for a sit down dinner. The other accommodates up to 50 people. Pricing depends on the day of the week, time of day, and the menu you select. We are also available for breakfast meetings, private cooking class/team building sessions and cocktail parties. For Larger parties The Conservatory at the Sussex County Fairgrounds is a wonderful venue for any large event. Ask us about catering your wedding at this newly built facility.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate parties of up to 30 in our smaller dining room; Showers, birthdays, rehearsal dinners, presentations, networking groups, or any other smaller events. Our larger dining room can accommodate up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Tracey deWaal 8779188035
A word from Andres Restaurant
Located in the heart of Sussex County, Andre's is a charming store front eatery, pleasing diners since 1998. As you enter the restaurant you can see hand crafted cocktails, both classics and originals, pass over a gleaming copper topped bar. Move deeper into the restaurant and experience one of two quaint dining rooms, each with exposed brick walls featuring a rotating exhibit of works by local artists and photographers. The heart and soul of this establishment is the kitchen. Relax and enjoy the creations from Chef Andre' de Waal's market driven, Euro-American menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Andres Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- ReinventingFoodFanDined on 4/19/2014Goodbye 'Old' Andres - looking forward to 'New' Andres! See you Mother's Day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DottieDined on 4/16/2014A very special place for sussex county! Andres staff and food are a step above the usual for this county!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait time was too longOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Food was good but we waited for over 2 hours to get our main course. We had 5 pm reservation and were the 2 nd table for the evening so the kitchen was not backed up. It is hard to know why it took so long.
- Sorry to see it goBeeMoVIPDined on 4/11/2014Andres is closing on April 19th. It was the first chef driven restaurant in Sussex County and a pioneer for this area. We are sorry to see it go. However, Chef Andre and his wife Tracey will be re-branding and creating a new more casual eatery named 'dres at the same location opening soon. This is a very wise direction for the current location. There is a rumor that the more upscale menu of the current Andres will be available once again in a new and lovely lakeside venue in the county. We look forward to this new venture and wish Andre and Tracey great luck and fortune.Special Features:
- We have attended 2 of Andre'sauntiemDined on 4/5/2014We have attended 2 of Andre's classes, but this was our first time dining there. It was GREAT. The Scallops and Salmon entrees were wonderful. Service was excellent, our Server knew we were going to the Theater and kept everything on an even pace for a relaxed meal...and we made it the Theater with time to spare. I enjoyed the wine flight; and being able to taste 3 different wines. All in all, it was a fabulous Anniversary Dinner..... Thanks ! We can't wait to visit again after your "Re-Opening in May".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNewtonNJDined on 4/5/2014Food and service are consistently good. They are planning to change the restaurant to a more casual theme. Will definitely try the "new" Andre's next month.Special Features:
- The BestBethDined on 4/3/2014Our high expectations were fullfilled. We always know that whatever we choose from the menu will be perfectly prepared as well as a visual delight. The scallops with curry and lime were delicious, cooked to perfection. Our friend doesn't care for curry, so she was given the option of ordering the scallops with another sauce. (By the way, the curry was very mild). It was a very enjoyable and satisfying evening. I would highly recommend Andre's to anyone who truly appreciates fine food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near the Newton TheaterRovingfoodadictDined on 3/27/2014A block away from the theater. Entrees come as 5 course meals or À la carte. Everything was excellent. The Foi Gras was pan seared perfectly. I had the breast of duck and my wife had the catch of the day poached in duck fat . Best place on Newton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant FindBillVDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I eat out often and we happen to be in the Newton area that evening and found Andreas. We were very happy and pleased with both the dinner and the service. I felt the food was of New York Quality but so were the prices. My only regret was that the wine list was not extensive nor matched the quality of it's food. I would however go back again and also recommend it to people looking for an upscale meal when in the Newton area.Special Features:
- Ladies Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2014Ladies Night Out was great, my friend and I had a wonderful time. We are looking forward to the next Ladies Night Out and the new location and the updating of the old one.Special Features:
- Still serving delicious foodDennisVIPDined on 3/8/2014My wife and I dined last Saturday with another couple. We had 5 course meals and each course was a gastronomical delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the priceMarknjDined on 3/7/2014Enjoyed the five course meal presented across two hours. Each course was delicious. My specialty cocktail was unique and a bourbon lovers dream. The tab was hefty $200 for the two of us but worth the splurge. Sometimes you just gotta have foie gras and not having to leave town still amazes me. This is our go to spot when we want to indulge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedfoodvisionsDined on 2/22/2014Been there a few times over the years, but not in quite a while. the food had always been spectacular, but was just ok this time. The service was very lacking. When the complimentary appetizer arrived to our party of 4 the 2 plates each with 2 tiny toasts with cream cheese and beets were placed only in front of one man and one woman, making us think there were additional plates coming to the others in the party. After a few minutes, someone came over and said the 2 plates were for the table and placed them in the center. Finally at the end of the meal, she just plopped the bill on the table like we were in a diner, without a single word. Sorry to have to write this, but we were so disappointed in a place we had always loved going to :(Special Features:
- love this place. food is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014love this place. food is always great. Andre's dishes are excellent. service needs work. - staff is inexperienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day at Andre'sMorrisCountyDinerDined on 2/15/2014As usual. another excellent meal at Andre's Restaurant. The sea scallops were firm but tender, the butternut squash soup was packed with flavor and the dessert was a chocolate surprise. Service was very good, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014This is, sincerely, THE BEST restaurant I have ever eaten at, and I grew up going to restaurants in Manhattan. The atmosphere, the service, PERFECT! The food is incredible, makes my mouth water just thinking of it....amazing place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Meal was fantastic - "four star" quality food. Five course menu was was perfection. Patronize this restaurant, not just because it's great, but because we want it to stay here forever. If you're tired of paying too much for mediocre food elsewhere, eat out less and spend your money at Andres. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Happy AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014My husband & I were staying at a nearby B&B; the owner recommended Andres for our Valentines Anniversary dinner. We were not disappointed. The atmosphere is cozy, hip & romantic. The crowd spanned from young to senior couples. Cloth tablecloths, fresh flowers and candles. We both had the butternut squash-apple soup - yummy on a cold, snowy night. Salad crisp w/mustard- vinaigrette house dressing. I had a steak in a scrumptious wine sauce, my husband had grouper with a seafood puree over , which he enjoyed very much. A pear crisp (wished it was warmed) & coffee cheese cake were both good. Service was top notch - always at the ready, but not intrusive; friendly & helpful too. Highly recommend for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Andre's has been a gem forfinefoodnwineDined on 2/13/2014Andre's has been a gem for a long time. Andre deWaal's creations never fail to please this palate or those of any I have brought. I wish my pockets were deep enough to come all the time but it is reasonable enough that I can come frequently. The wait staff is very much improved from their early days and Tracy deWaal's presence in the front of the house is always so perfect. She is there when you need or want her but otherwise content that her guests are all enjoying themselves. I used to criticize Andre's wine selection as not being up to the level of his food but I noted on this visit how much improved it is and I feel confident that anyone will find wines that will match the palate, pocketbook and meal. Bon Apettit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service/qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014Went to andres for my grandmothers 80th bday. The food quality and the way Andre mixes the flavors r unmatched. The wine selection is huge and if ur not sure or new to wine the menu lists the recommended for each course. I spoke with Andre over the phone and he made a beautiful delicious bday cake lemon. I'm not a fan of sweets and I ate my entire large piece no problem. Thanks again Andre will all be back soon. There's so much more to be said so get to andres and be amazed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaz and Enjoy!vlgillDined on 1/24/2014It is a great place to sit and be patiently severed, it is not the place to "run in for a quick bit"... A great place to go with friends and relax and enjoy a nice evening, with great food from start to finish. Plan on at least 2 hours for the 5 course meal. A great place to go before a show at the theater. We would 100% recommend and also dine there again. There's no rush at Andres!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nibbling in NewtonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2014we were staying at a local B&B and this place was recommended. It didn't disappoint...The food was excellent all the way through! The waitress was extremely attentive and helpful. All in all, a very lovely meal with fine service and pleasant ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food in Downtown NewtonjerseygirlDined on 1/18/2014I love the food made from fresh, local ingredients. The servers are well-trained and attentive. And the atmosphere is upscale and romantic, but not stuffy. Andre does a great job of pairing the food and wine. My favorite dish is the sauteed scallops, which are soft and sweet and lightly browned, never rubbery. They are among the best I've ever had. I love the cheese platter, which is offered as an alternative to dessert. Andre's can also accommodate special dietary needs or restrictions. We've been coming here since they opened 15 years ago, and we've always had a great dining experience.Special Features:
- I love this placeJujubDined on 1/8/2014Andre and Tracy are so thoughtful! No detail is ignored. Food is perfect! Atmosphere always fantastic !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/4/2014The 5 course menu was amazing and the portions are huge! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy New YearTricolorDined on 12/31/2013Andre prepared a special menu that was excellent from start to finish. What a wonderful way to ring in the new year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice ExperiencetristeandlawrenceVIPDined on 12/13/2013We have heard about this place for years and just never made the effort to go...four of us went and fairly quiet when we got there (6:30) by the time we left it was pretty busy and louder. Service was very friendly and engaging but not sophisticated and polished. I got the wine flight - it was very reasonably priced and good selections. Ambience is nice but small and a little cramped - they have a nice private room for larger parties. Food was great! Standouts include scallops with fried rice, fish with mashed potatoes, wedge salad, and seafood chowder. Everyone enjoyed it and we will definitely become regulars - worth the trip! Interesting cocktail choices also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in NewtonGSRicks55Dined on 12/4/2013Newton isn't know as a town with a great restaurant scene. However, there are a few restaurants there worth trying and Andre's is at the top of the list. The menu is creative and seasonal with helpful wine and beer pairing suggestions. The staff is young, friendly and enthusiastic. You don't always have to travel towards NYC to find a great meal when Andre's is in your neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is There Anybody There?LovesLocalDined on 11/21/2013SLOW & BAD service. GREAT location for Newton Theatre Goers. Waited over 10 minutes to be seated, despite a reservation and the fact restaurant was far from full. No one even greeted us or asked us if we wanted a drink – which is hard to believe since the bar is right there when one walks-in. In fact, we waited A VERY LONG time for drinks. When drinks arrived the orders were incorrect. Bread was promised (twice). There were mix-ups on food & wine, no offers for second drinks, and ultimately no time for dessert or coffee (we thought we might miss the show, even though we had allowed two hours for dinner and told them when we arrived that we had tickets). Food was delicious, but SERVICE WAS A JOKE. Choices? Laughing or screaming. We laughed.
- five course mea was outstandingwaypamDined on 11/16/2013five course mea was outstanding as always. can not afford every week but wish we could! always great food and drinks and serviceSpecial Features:
- Will be going back!WOODDRUMZDined on 11/9/2013I had first read about Andres a few years ago. I always wanted to try it but never had the chance for one reason or another. Nor did I have the right companion. Now I do and we tried it this past Saturday night. We will be going back! The food was excellent and the people that work there were great. I only gave the food a "very good", not because of what we had (It was all delicious) but I had my heart set on the leg of lamb that is on the website's menu but was not on the menu that evening. A bit of a bummer. But I had the steak instead. Which was tasty but... Overall, a VERY nice experience.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningMimidancerDined on 10/19/2013We went to andre's with another couple and had a lovely, adult evening. We enloyed the food, wine tasting (you get 3 2 oz servings of red or white wine). It was quiet, service attentive and it was nice of Andre to come and introduce himself .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well....RandyDined on 10/18/2013This was our first time at Andre's. The service was friendly and the atmosphere nice, but we didn't enjoy any of our food. Not the tiny bread, nor the wilted dinner salad, nor our main courses. We just didn't find that it was to our tastes. And it took a very long time for this meal. Perhaps it was an "off" night, but at those prices, we won't be taking another chance.Special Features:
- Andre's never disappoints...gourmetgalDined on 10/18/2013We love this restaurant and the folks who run it. We have never had a disappointing meal there. Andre's has been our choice for special occasions since they opened 15 years ago. By "special occasions," I mean any day with a 'd' in it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemGSRicks55Dined on 10/16/2013Andrea's is a gem hidden in Newton, NJ. Outstanding food from the kitchen and a friendly staff made for a wonderful dining experience. I would recommend reservations on the weekend. Definitely worth going out of your way to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hitting the right notesebw5Dined on 10/12/2013Andres hits all the right notes. The food is spot on, the atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the service couldn't be more accommodating. This is a gem in a small country town. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Best in Northern NJConstanttravelerVIPDined on 9/21/2013We have been coming to this restaurant since it opened and this visit was a return after moving to another state years ago. The restaurant is a s good as ever offering some of the most creative contemporary American cuisine in northern NJ, if not the entire state. The service is efficient and knowledgeable and the training of the staff is evident. The atmosphere is pure European bistro and a feeling of warmth envelopes you right at the entrance. The wine list is compact but evidences care and an eye to matching the cuisine. Do not miss the shredded duck pasta if its on the menu. this is a destination spot if you are in the area.Special Features:
- Pre concert/birthday dinnerFUntimebyallDined on 9/19/2013Our group of 4 had a wonderful experience recently at Andres. We were greeted with a great cocktail at the lovely copper bar, and went on to have an incredible meal from appys including salmon Nachos, wonderfully prepared main dishes like teriyaki Pompano fish and in house made desserts. The staff were knowledgable and very friendly. A great little gem we all can't wait to go back to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 15 years of great Food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2013Not too many restaurants continue to perform at a very high level for 15 years. Andre's is an exception. With Tracy [Andre's wife and co-owner], in the front of the house and Andre in the kitchen, you can be assured of delicious, creatively prepared food, served by an efficient and gracious , unpretentious staff, in very pleasant surroundings. Outstanding! Lou ManzoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the theaterOpitsDined on 9/7/2013This was a great place to start an evening. The table was great along with the wait staff. Dinner was not rushed and I could have a conversation without yelling. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.