Andre’s Bouchée Bistro and Wine Bar
Carmel, CA 93921Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Andre’s Bouchée Bistro and Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.andresbouchee.com/
- Phone: 8316267880x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served Wednesday thru Sunday from 11:30 til 2pm. The wine bar opens at 4:30 pm daily til 9:30pm.
Dinner is served seven nights weekly from 5:30pm-9:30pm . Andre's Bouchee Wine Merchant opens Wed - Sun from 11:30am til 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Andre Lemaire
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties up to 60 people, with a set menu.
Semi-private wine cellar with a capacity of sixteen.
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Lemaire 8316267880x
- Special Events: Andre’s Bouchée Bistro and Wine Bar also has special winemaker dinners featuring some of the top producers in the world. Please contact the restaurant for dates and details of upcoming events.
A word from Andre’s Bouchée Bistro and Wine Bar
Andre's Bouchee Bistro and Wine Bar proudly shares a Carmel favorite that lures locals and visitors with its chic style and neighborhood charm. Executive Chef Jacques Zagouri prepares authentic French Bistro cuisine with a Californian Coastal flair. Our friendly atmosphere buzzes with excitement and energy that makes you feel you're dining in one of the small neighborhoods inside Paris. Andre’s Bouchée and Wine Bar also features wine by the glass and a full wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Andre’s Bouchée Bistro and Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
Andre’s Bouchée Bistro and Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)notable wine list (69)special occasion (66)romantic (64)neighborhood gem (35)great for lunch (19)good for groups (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- ExquisiteJenaqt23Dined on 9/29/2014The seafood risotto was so rich and full of flavor! My husband got the veal medallions with scallops which melted in your mouth. Both were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, and Not my last!PegasusDined on 9/18/2014Nice, quiet, charming, Great food, done in the very typical French style cuisine. Will be back many times.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerErgirlDined on 9/13/2014Great find in carmel. Food was outstanding. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JLPBDined on 9/9/2014We loved everything about the restaurant. Having a table overlooking the chef in the kitchen was a special surprise. The food was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Wine is overpriced.SergeyDined on 9/9/2014Filet de boeuf was one of the best I've ever had. The entree and the dessert were good too. The wine list is pretty extensive and contains a lot of great wines, but the prices are 200-250% of the retail ones.Special Features:
- Don't hesitate to book!BazzyVIPDined on 9/8/2014A fantastic find in Carmel. Authentic French style food with an amazing wine list. Food was superbly cooked and service very attentive without being overbearing. Atmosphere was buzzy and vibrant so makes for a great dinner spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome except for sommelierfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner . . . Elizabeth (the owner) is wonderful. The food was delicious and presented nicely. Our server was extremely attentive. The only reason I gave a 4 instead of a 5 on service is that the sommelier was a jerk. We brought a special bottle of wine to celebrate our anniversary and he was completely unpleasant to deal with and bordered on insulting. However, the plus side is that he completely ignored us for the entire night after that, so we never had to speak with him again. :o) I still recommend the restaurant highly because everything else was so wonderful and we had a lovely evening. :o)Special Features:
- Good not greatjmomDined on 9/3/2014Quiet, friendly restaurant. Food was good, not great; wine list was notable. Service was lacking at times but very accommodating and friendly. If you are looking for an intimate, quite place with a great wine list and almost great food... This is your place.Special Features:
- What a lovely evening!Colleen1234VIPDined on 9/2/2014I had dinner here 2 days ago. A single woman alone, sometimes a less then stellar experience. From the time I walked in to the time I left I felt like a much appreciated guest. The service was fabulous, very gracious and on point. I had the escargot appetizer ( huge but delicious,) as well as the rack of veal special. Really lovely,crisp on the outside and done to perfection inside with a great wine reduction sauce. Both courses were matched by the waiter with glasses of perfect wine. I will always work this restaurant in on my trips to Carmel . Great job, thank you!Special Features:
- Peaceful dinner w/o being rushedWorldTravellerDined on 8/31/2014Andre’s Bouchée is a nice bistro as you could find it in France. While not striving for a Michelin star performance, the food is excellent by most standards. I enjoyed the dinner without being rushed nor being urged to leave quickly after the last bites. This restaurant is perfect for a nice weekend getaway if you want to spend the evening dining in an upscale environment. As a plus some of the waiter staff is from France as well, which adds to the authenticity of the restaurant.Special Features:
- MixedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/31/2014They put us at a more private table as requested, by front window. Maybe because it was a special dinner they didn't move service along promptly. Consequently, diners around us who arrived later left well before us. As seems to be the norm these days, there was a crew waiting on us, instead of one person who took charge the whole evening. The owner greeted and seated us and described specials on the menu. A waiter arrived and took wine and food order, then was never seen again. Another person brought the food, with long intervening times between courses. Crab cakes were delicious as was duck. Dessert was OK. This is a small restaurant, seems very crowded. Overall experience? A "B+."Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerKarlDined on 8/31/2014Contrary to all of the previous negative remarks about this restaurant, we had a marvelous time for my wife's birthday! The staff was excellent and very attentive, the food was exquisite, which made it for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- 70james70Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I had a very enjoyable lunch. The service was attentive and food was displayed nicely and appetizing. We have eaten here several times before and will continue to do so.Special Features:
- consistently goodBestCarmelDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant seems to be always on.... there wild mushroom soup with white truffle oil is must have. There specials will surprise you..I have been here 4 times the last year, and I keep coming back... I love the place and the owners have great knowledge of resturants in Paris too... Just love this place. I brought two couples the last month who never ate here and they will be coming back..Special Features:
- Classic FrenchGmehlmanDined on 8/24/2014Great products for a classic French menu Relaxed intimate atmosphere Great selection of winesSpecial Features:
- Carmel-By-The-Sea JewelMikeMVIPDined on 8/22/2014Classic French fare in a quaint bistro environment. The experience started before you entered the restaurant as the aromas from the kitchen spilled over to the sidewalk. An excellent menu selection with all the traditional French classics you want, but the nightly specials we the real treat. The classic lobster bisque was excellent but the portion too large for one person, try to share. The fresh local grown tomatoes were fabulous as well. My favorite was the duck confit, large portions, moist and filled with flavor. My wife ordered the tuna special awhich was prepared perfectly (rare) and each bite a delight. Service was excellent. We love traditional French classics and Andre's Bouchee will not disappoint!Special Features:
- Always an excellent experienceWinesnobsVIPDined on 8/22/2014From the moment you arrive untill you leave the service is always exceptional. Add in the great food and wine choices and you have one of areas most consistently great restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastySteveDined on 8/17/2014I booked a dinner here during Car Week. Glad I did. Everything about this place resonated with me. Food is outstanding, the wine selection very good and the service is top drawer. I'll return next year during the day to sample wines by the glass and more of the apps. Maybe the best restaurant along the Monterey peninsula.Special Features:
- GreatEatoutoftenVIPDined on 8/17/2014Great service, very friendly personable staff. Incredible food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodChadDined on 8/16/2014The menu didn't have a huge selection to chose from, and only one non-seafood main course. I had the French Onion soup, which was very well done and not as salty as most other French Onion soups are. As my main, I had the heirloom tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad. The salad was simple, but done well with good ingredients. Nice wine selection to choose from as well.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure at Andre'sRickzVIPDined on 8/14/2014The escargot appetizer was a great way to start a very enjoyable lunch.Special Features:
- Perfect for a special occasionDeannadiningaboutDined on 8/13/2014All of the outstading reviews proved correct. We had 4 very different entrees and each was prepared perfectly along with a beautiful presentation and service. If you're in Carmel, don't miss it as you will have a truly memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Took my wife here for our babymoon. Absolutely incredible service from the hostess to the waiter. Everyone had spoken a lot on reviews about the sommelier, but he was a bit rushed with us. Seemed to pick up on the fact that it was mainly just me drinking wine, and I wasn't so knowledgeable in wines, so I felt like he hurriedly picked out a selection for us. But the food was incredible, and cooked to perfection. We had mussels which were so large and juicy. The mushroom soup is heavenly -- very creamy but good! Then we had the lobster polenta and the beef tenderloin. Lobster polenta was okay, but the beef tenderloin really stole the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply outstandingBestCarmelDined on 8/9/2014We celebrated by wife's BD with friends. The Wild Mushroom soup with truffle oil was incredible. This is about our 6th time there. The service, food, and wine list is excellent and top rated. There is a good list and variety of French standard menu items, and there are a number of special items that are a wonderful offering... We had a wonderful evening. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Great food, bad serviceWhity3Dined on 8/8/2014Manager/host was rude and rushed. Did not take time to discuss anything and then our server was in and out but never really around or helpful. Sad because it was great food. Probably would not go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delightfulKristiVIPDined on 8/7/2014Stellar food preparation and taste! Wonderful sommelier...looking forward to returningSpecial Features:
- Disappointing mealHansWDined on 8/7/2014Having read the rave reviews of this restaurant on trip advisor my husband and I were looking forward to a great meal for our last meal in Carmel. Sadly it was anything but, the lamb shank was a massive piece of fairly tender mean, but it had little to recommend it in terms of fine dining, the accompanying sauce was overly sweet. A very disappointing meal overall.Special Features:
- They go out of their way to satisfyRickzVIPDined on 8/7/2014This is a relatively small place (I think the sign says 48). The food is always outstanding. The service equally excellent. The wine list is very good and the wine steward will endeavor to pair the wine to what you are eating (though he frequently goes a little up in price, his selections are excellent). If something is not to your liking, just let the staff know and they will do whatever is possible to make it perfect. The family that runs Andre's knows what they are doing and will aim to make you comfortable from the moment you walk in the door. We will return there many more times for lunch, brunch, and dinner.Special Features:
- thisVIPDined on 8/5/2014this review is based on carmel only; is not measured against SF
- Simply The Best!PeninsulaFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Andre's Bouchee is a wonderful place. Fabulous, imaginative and healthy nouveau French cuisine with a California local organic twist. An intimate upholstered European atmosphere. Family-style service and attention. One of the nicest dining experiences in Northern California, with an expert sommelier and an open kitchen to boot.Special Features:
- Not Impressed; Go Elsewheretkorch777Dined on 8/2/2014Very average and underwhelming French food. Appetizers: escargot was under seasoned and rubbery and had awful colour; raw oysters were poorly shucked and had sand and shell pieces. Braised lamb was highlight of the dinner, after we asked for salt. Very tender! Duck breast with fig sauce was very, VERY SWEET!! and again, under seasoned.... Also got a chance to sit at the chef's counter and watch food stand around, get cold and get reheated! Reheated mussels and lobster must taste like pure rubber! Thank you to our wonderful and courteous wait staff, you make the restaurant! However, the sommelier seemed arrogant and was rushed and unenthusiastic about his job even though the restaurant was not busy. We will not be returning, sorry!Special Features:
- Great food, great valueHowardserviceDined on 8/1/2014Great surprise. Best food we had on our trip to Carmel and wine country. And best value. Great pricing for such special food and good size portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Carmel RestaurantEdwaldDined on 7/29/2014Our table was ready on time. The restaurant was low lighted and very romantic. No children which was really nice. The wine list was spectacular but we brought a great bottle of our own and the corkage was only $25. The food was devine. We started with the soups. I had the mushroom and he had the lobster bisque. Could not decide which was better. My husband had the special rack of veal covered with 3 different wild mushroom in a red wine sauce. I had the scallops cooked perfectly. The tarte tartan for desert was to die for with a scoop of ice cream and a light drizzle of Carmel sauce. Not to mention the 4 little treats with the check. Great service and great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Special Occasion DinnerTomikoDined on 7/29/2014The dinner and service was excellent. The only thing that was disappointing was that they knew it was a special birthday occasion and did not even comp a dessert or after dinner drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!djh617Dined on 7/29/2014We brought our teenagers with us on this trip to Andres' and it was wonderful. Food was superb, service was attentive and environment was relaxing. Not a cheap place by any standard but if you a going to a French restaurant in Carmel, what do you expect? The main question is whether it appropriately priced, I think so. Undoubtedly yes, as this is our third time dining here and we'll be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RodAVIPDined on 7/28/2014The menu had a good variety of choices and there were a couple of off-the-menu items. The food was excellent and the atmosphere relaxing and enjoyable. The wait staff was friendly and responsive. I would recommend if in the Carmel area.
- mehCalicuisineVIPDined on 7/27/2014Pretty much a middle of the road restaurant. The items we ate were tasty and well prepared, but a bit heavy on butter and sauce. The menu was a bit uninspired. We were seated in view of the open kitchen and the restroom--probably the worst seat in the house, although there were plenty of other tables available. My personal view is if you're going to have an open kitchen, make it attractive (it was anything but). The manager should not scold the wait staff within earshot of the patrons. Finally, the maitre d was a bit overbearing and pushy when it came to the wine list.Special Features:
- Fantastic Meal and ExperienceRSeaterVIPDined on 7/26/2014You know a restaurant in Carmel is fantastic when you see both locals and tourists alike having an incredible meal. The food was fantastic, walking the fine line between gourmet and over the top perfectly. The restaurant is alive with foodies and wine lovers and Dimitri the sommelier could not have led us in a better direction with the wine. Andre was present in the dining room and clearly proud of the meal his kitchen was putting out. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a romantic evening in Carmel with great food and one of the better wine lists in the area.Special Features:
- Great food and friendly serviceRickzVIPDined on 7/25/2014We keep going back because this place hits the mark every time. Though we have our favorites, the specials provide a nice variation.Special Features:
- terribly disappointedJandDLDined on 7/20/2014We had an excellent, memorable dinner at Bouchee about 5 years ago. It continued to be recommended, so we made reservations for dinner the final evening of our attendance at the Bach festival. We ended up apologizing to our dinner guests. Sauces were salty and heavily thickened with cornstarch. Scallops, Duck and Escargot were too salty to eat. Carmel sauce on Tarte Tartin was burned and bitter. Obviously, a very different chef and dinner experience than before and the last time we waste our money at Bouchee.