Andrea at Pelican Hill
22701 Pelican Hill Road South
Newport Coast, CA 92657Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Andrea at Pelican Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pelicanhill.com/Dining_Andrea
- Phone: (949) 612-1913
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday to Sunday: 12noon - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday to Sunday: 6pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Marco Criscuolo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Andrea offers a live acoustic guitarist playing Italian and Spanish influenced light classical music.
- Special Events: Every event held in the Private Dining Room at Andrea is an exclusive, one-of-a-kind celebration that creates lasting memories. Whether a social affair or a business dinner, our Chef personally oversees every detail with his culinary skills and creativity. The elegant ambiance of the Private Dining Room reveals vivid panoramas of the Newport Beach coastline and the blue Pacific of Southern California. Come experience the warmth of our Private Dining Room with your group of up to 24 guests.
A word from Andrea at Pelican Hill
The unprecedented attention to detail in Andrea to recreate storied culinary traditions and classic dishes bursting with the true flavors of Italy has resulted in acclaimed authentic cuisine and complementary wine selections. Led by Chef Marco Criscuolo, Andrea sources the perfect seasonal ingredients and implements time-honored practices and preparations. Diners savor salads made with 100-year-old Balsamic vinegar, exquisite pastas made in a one-of-kind, temperature-controlled pasta room and artisan-style gelato made in the gelato laboratory. A chic, yet understated and relaxed atmosphere features inspiring coastal panoramas, sunsets over the Pacific, open-air dining on the beautiful, heated ocean-view terrace and round bar with its golden granite countertops and golden fruitwood paneling. Fine Italian wines are perfectly paired with each exquisite dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Andrea at Pelican Hill - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Andrea at Pelican Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)romantic (55)scenic view (55)notable wine list (39)great for outdoor dining (34)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (13)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (6)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- MikeDined on 11/22/2014As to ambience dress code needs to be considered. Wanted elegant experience but many patrons in tee shirts and jeans and baseball caps for a Sat. evening late dinner. It diminished the experience for what is a beautiful setting.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinnerGrahamDined on 11/19/2014Our experience was wonderful start to finish. Best service we have had in ages. Very expensive so we probably won't be back for awhile. Beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great tasting menuMikeDined on 11/18/2014We enjoyed tremendously the tasting menu with many choices. Our waitress Melissa, was so usefull and knowledgeable. We opted to add fresh white truffle on our pasta dish, when Melissa brought us at the table a box with several white truffle with an amazing smell. Divine evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanzyeDined on 11/6/2014It was lovely.............excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereFoodloverDined on 11/3/2014The food is exceptional and the ambience is perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndrearazyrealtorDined on 10/31/2014Andrea is a beautiful dining experience. The food was very good and unique, the service was excellent and the overall experience was memorable. Pricey but we knew that going in; worth the cost for an overall good experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningSueMDined on 10/30/2014This was a special birthday dinner for a "long time" friend. We had the bonus of a gorgeous sunset with a table on the patio. All of my friends thought their dinners were very beautifully presented and quite good. The service was superb. No one rushed us, but we were attended to with graciousness and efficiently. My only slightly negative comment was the portions were rather small for a big eater. I definitely would recommend the restaurant and come back for another evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slice of perfectionView2eatDined on 10/24/2014Combine a beautiful setting imaginative menue flawlessly prepared and delivered seemlessly and you have this idea this spot. Enough said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Specialliv2dineVIPDined on 10/18/2014We read the mixed reviews regarding Andrea's but decided to try it and make our own decision. First always ask for a table with a view or you will be seated with a view of the girls at the reception desk. Definitely not the pleasant view we had in mind. The menu reads well and we decided to try the tasting menu to try a little of each since it was our first time. The waitress told us the pasta was hand made and their "specialty". Our was gummy! The sauce had flavor but that was it. Over all we found this restaurant to be a disappointment in the food, service was good, our waitress excellent, the rest of the staff just ok.Special Features:
- True Five StarteddyDined on 10/18/2014Five star location, 5 star on service, 5 star on quality... great food, great presentation, very friendly place. I just simply love our dining experience. Perfect for the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service standards have slippedDisappointedDined on 10/12/2014As usual, it is a magnificent and comfortable setting. My soup was tasteless and the salad unexceptional, whereas the prosciutto, pasta and coffee were quite good. Service however has slipped. Training must not be a priority like it used to be. Our conversation was rudely interrupted by the busboy, and then rudely interrupted by the waiter. You don't DO that in a fine dining establishment. It is about the customer and a busboy or waiter should respectfully wait for a pause in the conversation before interjecting themselves. An entree was brought without the requested vegetable, and then they forgot to bring the requested lemon for tea. For a $200 dollar meal before wine, I expected better.Special Features:
- DisappointedxNYkrVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was very good, but not memorable. The service however was memorablly poor for an establishment like this, My wife and I had talked about trying this restaurant for a while, so I made a reservation for her birthday. They gave away a table we were told they were holding for us while we were finishing our drinking at the bar, the service at the table was unattentive, they did not replace silverware between courses, did not refold napkins when getting up from the table and despite me noting in the reservation and telling the waiter directly it was my wife's birthday nobody at the restaurant said 'happy birthday' to her nor did they bring a birthday desert (which we saw brought to other tables). Not the service you expect for $150/pp.Special Features:
- If Food is not your priorityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Dined at Andreas on 10/11/14 for our anniversary. The location is lovely and the ambiance is worth every penny. However, go here only if food is not your priority because it is just ok. We had the tasting menu which I generally regard as the best option in a new restaurant as it really gives the chef an opportunity to show off his or her skills. The main dish was by far the best. Dessert and other two course were pretty disappointing. AS it is VERY expensive I found this quite disappointing. We also did the wine tasting (also VERY expensive) and although I am not a wine expert I was not at all impressed and even left some wine since I did not think it tasted better than a 2.99 T.J.s bottle. Lovely place though!Special Features:
- Look forward to returningSome1inthebizDined on 10/1/2014Melissa was fantastic! And, Chef created very memorable combinations of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great review for AndreacdrilzzzDined on 9/27/2014Food was fantastic. Great service. Great appearance. The experience was well worth the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/18/2014Great Food and service, we will return when in the area.Special Features:
- SurprisedJudeVIPDined on 9/13/2014I was really surprised with the service at the front desk. There were two young unprofessional girls that did not seem to care that it was our first yr anniversary and were in no way accommodating as far as seating. Service at the table was not great either. The waitress took too long to return to our table to take our order and to check in us. Yet, everything was brought out fast from drinks to apps to entrees and dessert that we did not get to enjoy the full experience of the restaurant atmosphere. We felt rushed out. It was quite disappointing. However ambience and taste of food were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfect!luv2indulgeDined on 9/8/2014I've been a few times and the food is always perfect. Absolutely Wonderful! The staff is very friendly, the view is amazing, love to watch the sun set.Special Features:
- RtherrienVIPDined on 9/6/2014Simply outstanding. Fantastic ocean views with spectacular sunsets. Request booth with ocean facing view. Your date will love it.Special Features:
- Romantic Dinner with a ViewmouseDined on 9/3/2014Andrea's is a wonderful experience for a romantic dinner with great food and service. And did I mention the fantastic view?Special Features:
- perfect night outpattiDined on 9/1/2014From the moment you enter, you are treated like royalty by the entire staff - they are so welcoming ! The staff is so exceptional that they recall all of your favorite foods and preferred drinks and orders. The food is delicious , cannot say enough about the variety of choices and the quality of the taste ! Perfection and the staff goes out of their way to please you even catering to food items not present on the menu. Carbonara is fabulous as is the lobster !Special Features:
- AMAZINGMeganDined on 8/31/2014Overall this place was top 2 most incredible of any restaurant I've been. Hands down the best Italian food in California.Special Features:
- Worst Chateaubriand EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014WONDERFUL SPA. GREAT MASSAGES. ATTENTIVE STAFF. EXPECTED THE SAME AT RESTAURANT. WRONG!!! Beautiful setting although the "ocean view" is limited to the Terrace (hot with screaming children) or a few tables inside that seem to be reserved for ghost guests that never showed. The mushroom risotto done table side in Parmesan wheel was TO DIE FOR AMAZING!!!!! The $170 Chateaubriand was the WORST. We asked for slightly pink and received BLOODY RED. No one noticed that we didn't eat it. The veggies tasted like LIQUID SMOKE. Horrible. Again we didn't eat them. $475 for dinner for two with bottle of wine. SO NOT worth it! Staff was not attentive. Very disappointing for such a beautiful place.
- Awesome!JohnVIPDined on 8/27/2014In a word, Awesome! A gorgeous room, expansive hill and ocean views, attentive service, creative menu, linen tablecloths and napkins. Andrea makes dinner a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RJjjDined on 8/25/2014The Service was fantastic and the risoto was very yummy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/24/2014- Took nearly 30 mins to be seated with a reservation. Did request the patio however would expect with reservation there would be better planned - Someone in our party suffered an allergic reaction to the crab (embedded in the pasta so no obvious) in the soup (he sampled someone else's dish). Disappointed in the communication between the restaurant and front desk (opened the hotel store to access anti-histamines). Resulted in myself doing the running back and forth to resolve the situation. Fair enough at a TGI Friday but not Andrea that prides itself on high caliber of service. Not so this time! NOTE: Normal dinner service was good however the handling of this situation overshadowed everything else.
- great everythingdavewDined on 8/24/2014everything was great food, service, atmosphere, views, romantic, fun, comfortable. As with this type of quality comes high prices but that goes with this territory!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupendous from the beginningEBSNEWPORTDined on 8/22/2014We have been coming here since Andrea opened and it just keeps getting better and more innovative, while maintaining favorites and their quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping for MoreMicMozVIPDined on 8/20/2014It is hard to find a true fine dining experience these days, so it is welcome that Pelican Hill offers Andrea with a formal setting, and we have been on several occasions. You get a comfortable table, regal setting, white linen, real silver, and an elegant evening. But... while the menu offers a range of promising and innovative Italian food, the execution seems to comes up short. The food is always good, just not great. And it seems to have declined in quality from our initial visit over a year ago. Seems the kitchen is just not making sure the dishes have the right balance or ingredients and flavors to make you want more. So go for the elegance and a decent meal, but don't expect to be wowed.Special Features:
- FoodeeDined on 8/16/2014A special dining experience, unfortunately we missed sunset which I'm told is spectacular. The service was second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HamovDined on 8/16/2014The ambiance, the service and over all experience was lovely. Some of our party felt that the fish was overlooked. Otherwise, we enjoyed the whole evening except when the music was a little loud.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderful foodJaimeDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I are regulars at Andrea and find the food and the service consistently wonderful. If you are interested in a quiet and romantic experience, this is the place to be. The staff is remarkably accomodating and they make every effort to make optimize the whole dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh the Bucatini Carbonara!ohm613VIPDined on 8/5/2014It was the best carbonara I've tasted EVER. I would drive back to Newport just for that dish. So good.Special Features:
- Special eveningwine4meDined on 7/30/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday at Andrea and had a wonderful time. Strong marks for service, ambiance, food and wine. Heath, the gentleman who waited on us, provided spot-on food and wine recommendations for us and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. The outdoor seating on a beautiful evening is recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 729 reviews are from the Andrea at Pelican Hill reviews archive.
- Awesome!CulinaryexplorerDined on 7/27/2014I had booked Andrea for our Anniversary Dinner and it was perfect in every way! The service was courteous and every detailed was taken care of. Since I was hesitating about the wine, the server brought samples which surely helped in making the best choice. The food was delicious and portions just the right size, not too big, not too small. After the meal we felt that coffee would be enough for dessert, so we did not order any from a nice dessert menu.BUT, the server surprised us with a nice small chocolate mousse cake with the Happy Anniversary chocolate sign on it! And that was not all, so came out an assortment of delicious 'dessert' bites. We did find a sweet spot for them in our happy tummies! What an awesome experience at Andrea!Special Features:
- Extremely disappointingJerryVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I vacationed last week at the Resort at Pelican Hill and looked forward to an outstanding dining experience at Andrea. We could not have been more disappointed. We were both born and raised in Chicago's Little Italy, have been to Italy twice and have been dining out at extraordinary restaurants for decades. This was not one of them. The waiter was extremely pretentious and made a great effort to convince us to order three or four courses each, more than we could eat. I skipped the pasta course and was served the worst osso buco that I ever had. This place does not come close to living up to its own billing.
- amazing tasting menuiEATVIPDined on 7/26/2014This is about our 6th or 7th time at this restaurant. We brought our friends from out of town here. Service and food were wonderful. Would recommend this place to anyone and definitely order the tasting menu. You get a little of everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special occasion restaurantLocaldinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014A splurge, but worth it. Great service, great food, great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Exceptional and UnpretentiousDivabebeVIPDined on 7/25/2014Revived by Marco, its new and creative chef, everything at Andrea, located inside the Pelican Hill Resort, becomes an unforgettable experience. Ritzy and over the top settings rarely equate quality and comfort, especially when what you are looking for after all is a good meal in a beautiful place. Well, Andrea conquers in every way possible and more. Starting at the bar with its most cordial staff to the impressive dining room and the honest care of its dining personnel everything comes down to superb quality in every sense of the word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance but...IncognitochefDined on 7/25/2014The service was not great. They were having an off night in the service department. I would still highly recommend the restaurant based on the view and ambiance alone. The food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.