3198 16th St.
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.andalusf.com/
- Phone: 4156212211
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:30 - 9:00; Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 1:00am; BRUNCH Sat/Sun 10:30 - 2:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Calvin Schneiter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The restaurant offers catering tailored to your individual needs. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Winner of numerous "Best for Groups" awards, Andalu prides itself on tailoring the menu and experience to meet your needs. We specialize in shared small plates, perfect for bringing people together over a meal and celebrating!
- Private Party Contact: Calvin Schneiter 8773753153
- Special Events: We can accommodate a wide range of private events. Our dining format of small plates can be transformed from passed hors d'oevres to banquet format of any level.
A word from Andalu
Join us for our Daily Cocktail specials! Andalu serves small plates, or tapas, in a casual atmosphere A large open space on two floors, Andalu is the perfect gathering place for groups of any size. RECENT AWARDS: Best Mission Restaurant and Best for Groups, Citysearch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Andalu reviews from OpenTable diners
- New Years Prix FixercookerlyDined on 12/31/2013Wasn't the first time I've been here but first time on a prix fixe menu. Four course dinner that was very enjoyable. Food was great and seemed like the portions were too small at first but at the end of our meal I was stuffed! The service could have been a little better but it was New Years Eve, so I won't hold that against them. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerbiggerguysfDined on 12/20/2013I met a couple of friends there for dinner and wasn't disappointed. There was no wait on our reservation, the table was great (one of the high 4-tops), and we could talk and enjoy each other's company without screaming. I'd been there before with a larger birthday party, but this was better with a more intimate group. The food is pretty consistent, and consistently good at that... a hard thing to find in SF. Overall, it was a nice night and a great way to spend a 50th birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious shared platesHappycamperDined on 12/20/2013Five of us dined at Andalu on a Friday night. Had a great seat in the front window. Cocktails were spectacular. We all shared plates and loved the Mac and Cheese and beet salad! Our server was great and took good care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No spanish food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/17/2013It took 30min to get the food, they forgot most of the dishes we had ordered, the quality was definitely not there. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Worth going before it's gone30something78Dined on 12/13/2013This was my second outing to Andalu. Both occasions were for large parties (8+). Never had to book too far in advance. I'm kind of last minute planner. Good food, good value. Got stuffed off the 10 item group menu! We didn't opt for the $15 all you can drink sangria/beers. Only worth it if you and crew plan on pounding 3 drinks each through dinner. Service was good and the atmosphere was lively, but you can still hold a convo with your buds without yelling. I guess you can say Andalu hits the sweet spot for those of us who want to laugh with friends, treat our tummies, get buzzed and not lose our voice in the process.Special Features:
- DisappointedKevinHayfordVIPDined on 12/7/2013Given the other ratings on Open Table, my expectations were far from met. I ordered the crab eggs Benedict - the crab cake was burnt to crisp, the English muffin was hard as a rock and the eggs were over hard. The only thing that was good was the sauce. Juan was very friendly and attentive.
- Who knew!realtorreadyDined on 12/1/2013Excellent service, excellent food, great hip location!Special Features:
- Enjoyable Great Service ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/30/2013We enjoyed the service at Andalu. Fantastic delivery of food and great cleanup crew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndalusftexanDined on 11/22/2013A great table in the window was ready and waiting for us when I approached the hostess. The restaurant has a great ambiance and our waitress was very attentive, but not overly so. The food was delicious as was the house sangria. I will definitely be going back again due to my good experience and the many remaining menu items that I would love to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wifes birthdaySunsetVIPDined on 11/22/2013Attentive waitress; good cocktails; excellent food. We had barratta, sea bass, brussel sprouts, and sliders. Olives to nibble on which were very tasty, and a dessert sampler for 2. Everything was cooked perfectly and presented nicely. Total bill with tip was $145. We had a coctail each and a $40 bottle of wine so I felt it was pretty good value. The scene was lively with some larger groups. The noise level was not excessive. Worth a visit if you are in the neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good selection of tapasFoodieVIPDined on 11/20/2013very good selection of tapas to offer. Unfortunately, the restaurant lost its lease and will be closing at the end of the year. A loss for this communitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, small restaurantFoodieFrumHoustonDined on 11/18/2013Loved the variety on the menu, and all the food we received was all prepared and flavorful. Service was quite slow, but not bad. We had a fairly large group, including one baby, and I don't necessarily think large groups are the best at this restaurant. It's fairly small, so there were small square tables pieced together, leaving very little room for all the plates and glassware, etc. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend and I would definitely come back. Just probably not in a group of more than 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go there immediatelyKateRDined on 11/9/2013Made a reservation and they called me that day to tell me they'd overbooked and would be running behind. We showed up 20 minutes late and still had to have a seat at the bar for 15/20 minutes or so. Drinks were great, I recommend the Valencia. No complaints about the food, everything was delicious. For 4 people, we ordered the fondue, brussel sprouts, fried calamari, shrimp pil pil, spare ribs, and butternut squash ravioli. Shrimp Pil Pil was the dark horse, TRY IT! Dessert sampler topped off the meal. Very energetic atmosphere, if I lived anywhere CLOSE to San Fran I'd go back every weekend. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2013I had a wonderful evening at Andalu I had heard it recommended by many friends and finally had the opportunity to go and bring my dad while he was visiting from out of town walking in it was very clean great energy and I especially liked the design and the different levels of seating. We sat and higher chairs and started with the spareribs which were incredible we continued ordering small tapas and took our servers recommendation of the butternut squash ravioli and OMG that was by far my favorite. I would highly recommend this restaurant to friends are family coming to visit and it would be a fun date place as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New HVAC system neededOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/1/2013We sat upstairs and it was smokey and hot. Probably wouldn't go backSpecial Features:
- Lively spot in a hipster MissionmindianerVIPDined on 11/1/2013We were given a spot in the upstairs area of the restaurant overlooking the bar..a fun view. There were lots of interesting choices on the tapas menu. Delicious finger foods. I especially loved the roasted brussel sprouts with capers and the coca-cola braised ribs. My friend loved the ahi tacos. My only problem was that I was sitting over a heating vent, so it was fairly uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night out in SFChristinaDined on 11/1/2013The service was great most of the time, lacking at times. The food was delicious. The amount of food was way too much for two people with the wine pairing. Not the greatest neighborhood but we didn't mind. Not too far from BART. Wasn't too crowded so not too noisy.Special Features:
- Very good small plates restaurantdebowVIPDined on 10/26/2013This is an attractive, high-energy restaurant in the Mission. Lots of very good dishes for sharing. There is nice selection of drinks and a reasonably priced wine list. Convenient to the 16th street Bart station. Street parking is very hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated my cousins birthdayfoodieDined on 10/19/2013Celebrated my cousins birthday with a party of 8 and we ordered the pre fixe menu with the 10 items. We only received 8 out of the 10 but we have been charged for the 10 items because the birthday girl paid for the dinner half way through eating. One server thought that we had finished all our of items another server had to go check. It was true that we did not get out 10 items so i had asked them to just box up the rest of the food we didn't get. We were shorted our orders but they did try to compensate by asking if we wanted drinks or other food items to eat since the billed had been paid for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun! Try everything!4stacynoeDined on 10/18/2013This is great place for smaller groups to try and share delicious bites. We've been a few times and always love the food. Seriously, everything we've tried has been wonderful. The service is very friendly and they will adjust orders to fit the size of your party for sharing when they can, although they are so busy that we have had mistakes made with our order. Drinks and appetizers out after meal items. Wrong side delivered to our table in such a hurry that we couldn't correct the waiter. We got the correct side later but we also got charged for the wrong one we didn't order. Like I said its a very busy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check for Valet!Noni314Dined on 10/14/2013We had a great meal at Andalu; a perfect place to catch up with friends, but the parking situation is nearly impossible! They only offer valet service when the restaurant is fully booked, so check before you go. We drove around for more than 30 minutes before finding a spot. There is a garage near by, too. If and when you park, you'll have a fun evening; good food, great ambiance and an interesting neighborhood. A perfect place to linger, talk and share good food.Special Features:
- 4 Course TreatBreakingbreadDined on 10/12/2013We weren't sure we'd be served enough food with this four-course tasting, or that they would have chosen the highest quality items for us to taste. What a great surprise to have scrumptious flavors and great variety in both the food and wine. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok, service was awful.NA1980Dined on 10/12/2013Food was ok, service was awful. Waiter and manager Jacob added 20% gratuity after throwing drinks on our table and serving a prie fixe menu, and then we were a tought group to serve and were too much into each other (we were having a 14 person reunion) and we ignored him!
- Noisy as heckWithdogsDined on 10/6/2013Food good and service good. It the noise level makes for a rather unpleasant dining experience
- Friday night fun!ComfortfoodieDined on 10/4/2013We had an early reservation and the restaurant was empty when we arrived, but we had great service throughout even as the crowds grew and we watched a line form outside. We asked the waiter for recommendations and took them. We enjoyed the food and the wine flights. I recommend having a reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious small platesandaluROCKSVIPDined on 10/3/2013yummy food, consistently great, wonderful servers and fun ambience.Special Features:
- Went here for my bday brunch.ClimberCarDined on 9/29/2013Went here for my bday brunch. Reserved thru Open Table. Was seated promptly even though we were 15 mins early. Loved the crispy mac n cheese, sangrias and mimosas! The service was very good. She apologized when it took her a while to get our order. The restaurant did seem busy at that time. Overall, I liked my Andalu experience and may come back to try it during dinner hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small platesLuv2dineDined on 9/28/2013Ordered a variety of tapas - 2 of us were dining. Of the 5 different tapas- only 2 were really excellent - the duck confit dumplings and the Cesar salad. The short ribs sounded amazing but came cold and therefore tasted fatty. The steak tartare even with the quail egg and seasoning mixed in tasted bland. The fish tacos were very good - but the portion is 4 tiny ( 1 bite) tacos. Drinks are good - ordered a vodka drink that combined grapefruit and cucumber which was an excellent combination. Crowded atmosphere reservations are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local tapas place.PeterVIPDined on 9/25/2013Good food in relaxed atmosphere with good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live, energetic atmospherekry510Dined on 9/20/2013I took my bestfriend here for his birthday , but it seems more of a date restaurant. We shared the coca cola brisket, shrimp pil pil, fried mac and cheese, and donut holes. The coca cola brisket had too much vinegar for my liking, but the shrimp pil pil, fried mac and cheese, and donut holes were DELICIOUS. The donut holes were AWESOME! You get two small cups of hot cacao with the donut holes. I will DEFINITELY be back!Special Features:
- Food was good, service was lackingMissionFanDined on 9/20/2013We were seated at our table a few minutes early and then ignored for quite a while even though there were plenty of servers taking care of adjoining tables. Eventually, I went up to the lady who seated us and told her that nobody stopped by. Even after that, it took 5-10 mins for somebody to stop by and bring us water. Once they did, the service was fast enough. Food was generally good, but the sliders were a little dry and the cocktail seemed one-third short of full. I have been to Andalu many times and always enjoyed a good meal with good service. Hoping this was a one-off incident.
- Small plates to please everyonesmacs77Dined on 9/19/2013We love all the choices Andalu offers on their varied menu. There is something to please everyone's tastes. The portions are usually splittable, and one can always order more anywhere through the service. We love their wine flights; for a very reasonable price (around $15), you get three generous pours from a variety of choices- all sparkly, all red, all white, all European, etc. Service is friendly but not intrusive. It's hard to recommend any one thing because we like to order different things each time we go; we always enjoy the fondue and the brussels sprouts. It's a great place to take guests for something fun and casual, yet satisfying. And it's close to a BART station so you don't have to worry about parking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- another good oneGeorgeVIPDined on 9/7/2013We have eaten here several times and we enjoy the food and the friendly staff. We also like sharing the various dishes with each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tapas!SippingAndJudgingDined on 9/4/2013great cocktails, great food. I recommend coming later- doesn't really "Come alive" until at least 8pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks... now get out!VegafoodianDined on 8/24/2013Went to Andalu with a group of 8 woman. It was our first of what we hope to be a regular monthly meet up. We all are very busy with work, hubbies, babies etc. and never get a chance to get together. We got our drinks and food. Then we were never asked if we wanted dessert or coffee. Instead our waitress put our bill on the table and said "take your time". She then came back to the table, no more than 5 minutes later and sternly said "there are people waiting for this table". Keep in mind we had just spent $400. Also, there were more group tables that were sat at the exact same time as us that were left unbothered. I was forced to guzzle my wine and hurry out. Needless to say, we will not be holding our monthly gatherings at Andalu anymore.
- Mortimer was the man!SASSYVIPDined on 8/22/2013Our waiter could not have been better! I always love Andalu, but Mortimer have us amazing suggestions and made the meal even more special! Fondue with the skirt steak? Unreal! My date and I could not speak as we ate because of the ecstasy of the flavor combinations! Fabulous wine to top it off? Spectacular! Andalu is always solid but this particular waiter made it even more excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint, but EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2013I'm glad the food was a good and there was plenty of variety.Special Features:
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2013Avoid this place. It is so hot and poorly ventilated, very poor quality food. Also, we had a big group and the waiter didn't come by for more than 20 minutes at a time - poor service, bad food. It was a 3 hour dinner that never seemed to end. The support staff / bus boy was great, they work really hard and I wish that we could've tipped them directly since they were the only ones to help us.
- we had reservations at 9:00plingloingDined on 8/10/2013we had reservations at 9:00p but were not actually seatyed till 9:45. we waited almost 45 minutes. that was so annoying. i would have just left but we were a group of 12 ppl so we had no choice. food was good, not great for the price. probably won't be backSpecial Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2013We came to Andalu and did the Kenwood tasting menu. This involved 4 courses (I believe) and was matched very generously with wine and cocktails. The 'small plates', which I believe are their specialty were very tasty and fresh. The cocktails were strong and the wine good. The environment at this restaurant is very lively and would be fun to come to with a group of people. The service was friendly and fast. We will come back.Special Features: