8 Stone Street
New York, NY 10004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://ancoraristorante.com/
- Phone: 2124803880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Ancora
Tony Fantastico and Elio Albanese opened Ancora in 2004 on Stone Street in the heart of New York City's financial district. The restaurant features classic northern Italian cuisine, and whether you are a regular or a new customer, your experience will be one to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ancora reviews from OpenTable diners
- My new favorite spot in the citySethHVIPDined on 1/8/2014You feel like you are family from the moment you walk in. You think this place is great, but you don't know great until you start eating the food! We sampled many the favorites from the menu and I loved everything I ate in every course. If I had to pick favorites, I would go with the ravioli and balsamic chicken... A must dine when you are downtown or really when you are in the city, period!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysJoezDined on 12/31/2013I have been going to Ancora for years and as always the service is great and you are always treated as a VIP. Although the moved across the street to hotel and some of the ambiance of the old restuarant is lost the food and service have remained the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was nosiy and crowded.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/11/2013It was nosiy and crowded. The food was fair as well as the service. Not a great dining experience.
- Wonderful find..CaterinaDined on 11/7/2013We stayed at the Doubletree across the street. It was not only convenient, it was a great experience, we felt like we we're family. The food was excellent, service impeccable and the atmosphere was surprisingly quaint and somewhat romantic. We'd go again and highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First New York dining experienceCanadianFoodiesDined on 10/30/2013We arrived early - 1st people in the restaurant (lol). Very attentive service until it got busy. We actually had to get a busboy to ask our waiter for the bill. My meal was absolutely wonderful (chicken with asparagus and artichoke) my only complaint would be that they wouldn't substitute spaghetti for the potato that came with it - (I would have to buy a pasta dish??). Also my daughter had the Green Tagliatelle with Shrimp, and Baby Artichokes. Her shrimp were perfect but her pasta was overcooked. We both loved the complimentary appetizer and the sambuca they made was by far the BEST I have ever tasted!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodccfsfDined on 10/24/2013Good food, good service, great for my business lunch.Special Features:
- Hidden Treasure on Stone StreetSusanSDined on 10/10/2013The food was great and plated in original ways. The formal service in the midst of a steak-house and Italian-food atmosphere was charming. Who would have thought a restaurant with a basement dining room on Stone Street could have weathered Hurricane Sandy so well and presented such a warm hospitable atmosphere. I had the crab cocktail (served in an onion), followed by the veal piccata, which was piquant, but not overpowering. A double espresso came without having to be asked. My water glass was never empty. Great place.Special Features:
- Just OK Central Casting NYC ItalianGothamFoodieVIPDined on 10/8/2013Old school white tablecloth Italian. May be entertaining for tourists but there are versions with better food and more refined service if you are familiar with the breed. If you aren't, this will give you a sense of what a New York Italian was like in 1965 and you will have an Ok meal - better and more authentic than Olive Garden, but Al Di La it ain't.
- Excellent place for business lunchGrizzzfanVIPDined on 9/30/2013We found this gem on Open Table. The location is a bit odd - in the basement on a side street downtown - and you would never guess there is a great restaurant inside by the simple awning on the street. Once you go downstairs you have a classic Italian restaurant in a fairly small room. Our lunch was excellent. Ancora creates a Caeser salad table side from scratch. The dressing was light and flavorful, and they were happy to bring four nice anchovies. Pasta and seafood entrees were outstanding, with very nice scallops and shrimp on dishes. Definitely worth a return visit.Special Features:
- Ancora is superb....alwaystexasDined on 9/24/2013Always a pleasure to dine at Ancora. Elio and his friendly, capable staff make it a delightful experience. Very good for a business lunch. A favorite of local professionals. I have been several times over the years and it never fails please.Tutto Bene!!! texasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfection is in this restaurantViniDined on 8/13/2013Not to much to say was great great .The staff makes you feel so comfortable ,food was great .thank you so much .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old fashioned Italia meets Wall StMikeVIPDined on 8/6/2013Some very very good dishes, e.g. Veal medallions but some very average ones like rubbery calamari and average gnocchi. Old time formal waiters were great but more fit for a movie. Strange mix. Some customers in suits some in tee shirts. Not bad for a place we found on open table at last minute.
- I love the relaxed and quitewillcomeagainDined on 8/5/2013I love the relaxed and quite feeling of this place - like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a restaurant should be!VAMCCVIPDined on 8/1/2013How nice to be able to sit down and relax without a menu shoved in your face. We sat, relaxed , had a cocktail and then reviewed the options. It was so nice and a reminder of what dining should be. Thev food was great and the service was excellent. There are thousands of dining options in NYC, but I would definitely go to Ancora if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ancora RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2013I found the service and the food very good. The food was very fresh and served in a style of a traditional Italian cuisine. The service was very attentive. The restaurant offered free grappa at the end of the meal. It was an enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Old School Charm, 5 star experienceMikeylikesitVIPDined on 6/17/2013Tony Fantastico's formula for a top notch restaurant experience dates back to his days at Accapella. The main dining area is downstairs. Very quiet compared to other restaurants. His verbal repertoire consists of veal, steaks,and seafood dishes and if the specials of the day do not satisfy your taste, there is always the menu. Tony's signature line is "menus are for tourists"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Italian FeastlldincDined on 5/9/2013Can't say enough about this Wall St. Neighborhood gem. Bread the way God intended: crusty on the outside & dense in the middle. Attentive @ amusing waitstaff. Creative menu but with many of the traditional Italian fare one would expect. Bravo Ancora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is great and so is foodShorelady45Dined on 5/7/2013The service was terrific. When one in our party was unsure of what to order, our waiter helped her decide by asking what she liked, what she didn't like, and customizing a dish just for her. We didn't order the Ceasar salad, since I didn't realize it was prepared tableside, but I will order it next time. Not too many places still do this. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Classic StyleAileenDined on 4/29/2013Tunneling down a staircase often makes me pause, but the restaurant waiting at the bottom of these stairs was well worth it. The service was great, the food delicious without being fussy, and the specialty grappa a joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class place. An oasisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/11/2013First class place. An oasis of calm, great food, and great service in lower manhattan.Special Features:
- First visit. Very good foodhoustonresidentVIPDined on 3/27/2013First visit. Very good food & service. Dining room extremely loud, due to a couple of loud parties nearby, making it very difficult to converse at our table.
- I was surprised the Veal MilaneseDannyFVIPDined on 3/26/2013I was surprised the Veal Milanese was much less flavorful than I was expecting. The Veal Saltimbocca was better but that too was more bland then I expected as well. This is still one of my favorite downtown Italian restaurants and the service is always fantastic.
- Food is delicious! You won’tOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2013Food is delicious! You won’t be disappointed with anything you select.Tony Fantastico, Elio Albanese and staff will make you feel right at home each and every time you go.Special Features:
- Excellent Downtown Find!JoeMVIPDined on 3/12/2013I've been to Ancora 3 times in 30 days. The food is, quite simply, among the best Italian I have had in NYC. I've compared it to Acapella as the food and service have been outstanding on each of my visits. The first two times I dined, I enjoyed the Bronzino, cooked in the kitchen and finished table-side, seasoned to your liking and to perfection. On my third visit, I had tilapia with calamari and scallops, which I also has an an appetizer, and it was all amazing. Guests I have been with have had everything from selections of beef, chicken, dish and pork. My ONLY reservation is the ambviance. The building is in the middle of the block and basement dining with low ceilings don't do it justice. That said, I will be back again and again.Special Features:
- The food was rustic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2013The food was rustic Italian and very fresh. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- A regularOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2013This was our second time to Ancora. We were worried that it had suffered in Katrina since our last visit in the Summer of 2012, but luckily they were spared. As always, the food was outstanding, service was A+ and the Italian was flyin'! Fahgehtahboutit!! Don't forget to try the grappa al sambuco. Fantastico!Special Features:
- The food is so delicious -BebeVIPDined on 2/19/2013The food is so delicious - the veal was so tender.Special Features:
- Another incredible experienceGuidoDined on 1/23/2013Mr Fantastico' and team once again out did themselves. Was there with clients from both East and West Coasts and the service and attention we were given was outstanding. I have been eating here for several years and they just never disappoint. Definate recommendation for any kind of event, business, casual, date night. Always on the mark!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/15/2013Absolutely spectacular...food was delicious. Service was extraordinary...highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Ancora is my favourite littleFoodieVIPDined on 1/4/2013Ancora is my favourite little Italian restaurant in the FiDi. After Hurricane Sandy we were keen to support local restaurants to get them back up and running. The night we went we were the only people in the restaurant so we felt it even more critical that we support our locals. Thank you to the Ancora staff for always making our experience there fantastic.Special Features:
- we went just before the holidayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/18/2012we went just before the holiday for lunch, very busy. food is very good, service is slow though, dont know if it always like this. very loud. good for groups.Special Features:
- A real gem! You will notOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/14/2012A real gem! You will not be disappointed. Only drawback is that because it is in the Financial District it is closed Sat & Sun. So I came a day early (Friday) and stayed across the street at the Doubletree.Special Features:
- Fantastic personal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2012Fantastic personal service with a courteous host - we took 25 people who all commented on the fantastic food and service. One of NYC's hidden gemsSpecial Features:
- It's a nice place for theFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2012It's a nice place for the neighborhood. Enjoyed the food, good service, and we were not rushed.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2012Randomly found this place on Open Table and immediately thought I made a mistake when I walked in. But after goin downstairs and having a great meal, I'm definitely returning.Special Features:
- NYC has 1,000's of ItalianLocaleseDined on 10/2/2012NYC has 1,000's of Italian restaurants, and many are at best, so-so. Hence, I was pleasantly surprised with Ancora. The "old-school" service is impeccable, the open room has an elegant decor (less Roma than most), and the food was prepared exactly as described by the service Captain. The menu is mainstream Italian - multiple courses, traditional offerings. It's the specials that get a bit more interesting; Lobster Bisque, Melon with Prosciutto and Burrata cheese, more complex fish offerings, and so on.(I'd be more specific but I've forgotten the details.) Or, they'll make you anything you would prefer. Finish with a tasting of housemade Grappa, and you will go home both sated and relaxed! Absolutely recommend and will be back.Special Features:
- Unexpected GreatnesssouthporterVIPDined on 9/18/2012What a special meal! We were greeted by Elio and wowed by each course. The antipasti included spicy sauteed zucchini, salami, Parmesan cheese chunks and hot red peppers. Lobster bisque was the best ever and the ravioli stuffed with red peppers were memorable. The ribeye (prime) steak and the butterflied breaded veal chop served with a veritable salad on top would have been devoured immediately if the portions were not so huge. Simply superb!Special Features:
- Ancora for Italian cuisine downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2012Ancora is a very nice Italian restaurant serving quality food at a fair price point for Manhattan. In my opinion it is one of the best Italian restaurants downtown that I have visited. The main dining room is located downstairs and generally offers a quiet and roomy environment to enjoy a meal. It would work well for a business or romantic occasion. Since space is short supply, most NY restaurants offer cramped seating-Ancora offers more space to sit, relax and enjoy the cuisine. Regarding the food, I have been there twice and find they put a great effort into preparation. While some of the flavors are a bit different than what I am used to, the meals have been very good. I consider Ancora a favorite and will dine there again.Special Features:
- The place was VERY noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2012The place was VERY noisy. The wine list was over-priced beyond belief. I'm sure the local's don't pay those prices. I told the waiter I was not satisfied with the wine list prices and he started nogciating with me on a couple of bottles I was interested in. I was a real turn off for me. The food was adequate in a city with great Italian food.
- Took my Managers there forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2012Took my Managers there for a farewell lunch. The decor was amazing was you get to the dining room and service was superb!!!Special Features: