600 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ancoradc.com/
- Phone: 202-333-1600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday 5:00PM - 9 PM
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jeffery Gaetjen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: F Street NW
- Public Transit: From Foggy Bottom Metro:
At the top of the escalators at the station, turn right, and right again, and proceed West through the plaza to New Hampshire Ave. Turn left (Southwest) on New Hampshire Ave. Proceed 2 blocks, crossing Virginia Ave. Ancora is located directly across from the Kennedy Center. We are also on MetroBus route 80.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Discounted parking at 600 Watergate Garage. Entrance on F street
Also Valet parking Thursday -Saturday
A word from Ancora
Visit DC's newest restaurant, Ancora, by acclaimed Chef Bob Kinkead. Just steps from the Kennedy Center, Ancora offers regional Italian dishes specializing in House-made Pasta, Salumi, Seafood, Meat and Game.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ancora reviews from OpenTable diners
- disappointedmbarVIPDined on 3/7/2014Our waiter was sarcastic when I reported we had theater tickets. I only thought it polite to state such so that we could be properly guided regarding ordering. We had an hour and a half before our show started. We were offered no guidance through the menu. All I could find for a side salad were 16 dollar salads. The waiter then pointed to the sides and stated there was a bib salad with a vinaigrette. Well, I do not know too many vinaigrettes which are rank with horseradish but this was overpowering. The gnocchi order by my guest was swimming in butter and unappealing and my salmon had a plank of stuffing that looked to have been made days ago. The leek gratin was stingy and gooey. Overall, this meal was disappointing.Special Features:
- OK food, sloppy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/5/2014If not for location across from Ken Ctr, there'd be no reason to eat here. Food is fine, but not outstanding. Service was bad. Water glasses totally emptied--twice. Had to flag someone down for refills. Silverware cleared after appetizer & not replaced. Again, had to flag down busboy. Entree was to be split ($5 charge for this) but waiter just plopped it in the center & let us serve ourselves (without silverware). He assumed we'd prefer it that way but didn't bother to ask. Coffee came in a mug--not a cup & saucer. Spoon was balanced on top of mug. I'd expect that in a diner, but not a tablecloth restaurant. Ancora has a monopoly on the pre-theater crowd (albeit without a prefix dinner) & doesn't try to attract anyone else.
- Almost too popularluv2eatoutVIPDined on 3/5/2014The food, as always, was outstanding, but since they are getting ready to close down for renovations the wine list was more limited than usual and we could not get our usual one. Now that this restaurant has been "discovered", it gets very crowded with every table occupied and mostly with customers going to performances at the Kennedy Center next door. As a result, the service this time was very slow, especially when we needed to pay our bill and get out when everyone else was also trying to do the same. Three times the waiter came by our table to take our payment, saying "Are you ready to go", but he never took the check with our payment. I will be curious to see how everything changes after the renovations.Special Features:
- Ancora -- soon to go away for renovSoupVIPDined on 3/4/2014Ancora has been a hugely welcome addition to this part of the city. It is now scheduled to undergo a six month renovation, which leave many of us quite sad. the food has always been well-prepared, and as was the case when Kinkaid's was in business, the seafood and food are particularly good. The daily hot fruit tart (last night was pear) is delicious. Service can be a bit lackadaisical, even when the restaurant is not full, but perhaps this will perk up when they have their new surroundings. I was told that they hope to re-open in mid-september. Until then, Foggy Bottom, and especially Kennedy Center patrons, will have to find a new place to dine.Special Features:
- Fabulous eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014The food was outstanding, from the cosmopolitan to begin to the pear tart at the end. Every course was delicious, the only problem was that we all ate too much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food gets better and betterfoodieVIPDined on 3/1/2014the food gets better and better at Ancora. Now they are closing for 5 months to remodel and are opening a trattoria next store. Hope the reopening will be as good, if not better!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than reviews statemikeDined on 3/1/2014Reviews on this site projected a mixed impression - our experience was that the food was excellent and the service was very good. Special requests were honored in a timely fashion. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, Food OKRobertDined on 2/28/2014Acora is welcoming for those headed for a Kennedy Center evening. Valet park for half the cost of the KC and enjoy a nice meal. Had the breaded flounder which was breaded a bit too much and the sauce was sweet - not a great combination for me. My wife had the pompano because the advertised branzino was not available even though we were among the first to dine for the evening. Dessert - apple 3 ways - was excellent. Service great and the waiter readily agreed to our splitting the salad and the dessert. The service staff know that people are soon out the door to the KC and respond accordingly. Tables are a bit close - have to speak knowing someone is kibitzing probably.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentRobertDined on 2/28/2014Quality of food and service never disappoint. Plus is valet parking for $10. Great for pre theatre. After the theatre, your car is waiting for you on the curb at Ancora.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good taste in every wayKennedyRegularVIPDined on 2/27/2014Good taste in the layout of the rooms, the lighting, and the furnishings contributed to a feeling of well being while dining at Ancora. To top it off, we had a view of the sun setting over the Potomac. We especially enjoyed the bread and dips while sipping wine from etched wine glasses. The food was prepared and served with the same good taste. Altogether a lovely start to an evening at the Kennedy Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great KenCen diningedwineloverDined on 2/24/2014I have been here twice, and each time the food was delicious -- creative, well cooked, and interesting Italian fare. HIghly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre only optionpatronVIPDined on 2/22/2014They did a fine job getting out a pre theatre dinner quickly and the food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not enough servers for the pre-theasamyVIPDined on 2/22/2014Not enough servers for the pre-theater rush: Saturday evening 5:15. Ordered wine and an oyster platter to start. Oysters arrived almost immediately (obviously pre-shucked) before the wine. When the rest of the food arrived later, the used oyster platter was still on the (small) table. Whoever brought the orders did not bother to remove it. We had to call the hostess to clear the table since our waiter was too busy with his other assigned tables. Once we were almost ready to leave, he showed up again with the usual "how are we doing?”
- Excellent food, excellent serviceMcfox2Dined on 2/22/2014This is the very best restaurant in the "dead zone" immediately adjacent to the Kennedy Center. The fish dishes are excellent and the quality is matched by the excellent service. Kudos also to the valet parking, the most reasonable in the area. The valets locate your car quickly when you are ready to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDanaDined on 2/21/2014Ancora is now one of my favorite restaurants in the Foggy Bottom area, especially before a performance at the Kennedy Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EtherealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2014Exceptional as always. Calamari is the best preparation I've had to date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Kennedy Center pre-theatrluv2eatoutVIPDined on 2/19/2014Located right next to the Kennedy Center this is a great place to dine. Although it is expensive, the food is Gormet and the service excellent. They are very sensitive to the need to get out in time for curtain call. But book early as they fill up quickly and that also makes for an increase in noise level, but that seems to be a problem everywhere these days. The pumpkin squash is to die for. They are about to close for renovations.Special Features:
- Overpriced and Underwhelmingrxt1Dined on 2/19/2014Acora seems tired. The decor is dated and uninviting and the food is at best average. Service was spotty, and the servers did not seem to communicate with one another. Despite its prices, Ancora looks and feels more like a mimimal frills, eat-and-run restaurant than the home of one of DC's former top chefs. We dined at Ancora shortly after it opened, and we had a similar experience, but we were forgiving then because of Ancora's newness. My wife and I are not likely to go back again.
- Food was good and so was serviceGQGIDined on 2/15/2014Food was good and so was service except at the end the waiter forgot to pack my doggy bag and through out my leftovers. I was looking forward to my take out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Food was so-so, particularly at the price point. Portions were small, although the pasta was decent. Not impressed by the quality of ingredients beyond the pasta itself (looked like store bought parmesan on my rigatoni dish). The service was terribly unimpressive. I will say that the pear dessert was great. I'd recommend skipping this one.Special Features:
- Always great! Ask for Tony,JudyDined on 2/15/2014Always great! Ask for Tony, one of the best waiters I've encountered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best option anywhere nearsseatsVIPDined on 2/15/2014Best option anywhere near the Kennedy Center. Should be a destination pick also, because it is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not have been betterPatrickDined on 2/15/2014As Ancora is conveniently located across the street, this was our dinner location after seeing a show at the Kennedy Center. This could not have been a better dinner. Started off with cocktails in the bar area while waiting for our table to be ready. My wife was feeling adventurous and ordered something she wound up not liking; the bar replaced it with a drink she was more familiar with free of charge. The food was very good, the waiter was engaging, knew the wine list like the back of his hand, and made great recommendations. There wasn't a single second of the entire meal that wasn't thoroughly enjoyed. The only downside is that Ancora was closing for renovations and would not be open for a little while, but we will go back.Special Features:
- Good but trying too hardPhineasDined on 2/14/2014Very convenient for pre- or post-theater at the Kennedy Center. Food was good but quite rich. Trying too hard to be "fancy" by adding sauces to things where they're not needed. Some interesting wines on the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute placeCoolDined on 2/14/2014Very good space. The service was a little backwards - servers got confused, and out appetizers got lost somewhere. Other than that, Ancora is a very nice place with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid RestaurantdcdcDined on 2/14/2014A very solid restaurant experience. Pork was ridiculously good as well as the sea bass. Try to get a window seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious oasis in foggy bottom.pasta2live4Dined on 2/14/2014delicious oasis in foggy bottom. our server adriano couldn't be more friendly and knowledgeable. A hidden gem for the neighborhood and anyone attending a Kennedy Center event. Finally, a great restaurant in Foggy Bottom !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot In The CityJayMeNineDined on 2/14/2014Ancora is a great seafood restaurant with a scenic view of Roslyn (depending on where you are sitting). Its the perfect spot to go to prior to a Kennedy Center performance. The food is on the pricey side, but well worth the treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A worthy findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014I was amazed at the service, the quality of food and the atmosphere. I can't say enough about how wonderful an experience I had. Ancora is exquisite, the food came out in record time, perfectly cooked and the service is the best I've experienced in years. I have already recommended it to friends. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't do this at homeTolkachDined on 2/14/2014If you look in the dictionary under "fine dining", you will see a picture of Ancora. Each dish was a piece of culinary art and memorable. Everything was so delicious we made a conscious choice to overeat, just to see what they could do next. We're not proud of that, it is what it is. We went to a mediocre play at the Kennedy Center afterword, so I was happy to have the memory of my fantastic Ancora meal to entertain me during several hours of high school musical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much needed in the area!foodie1Dined on 2/12/2014Grilled char was delicious and I was so happy to see they were generous with vegetable accompaniments. Most restaurants give you a big piece of protein and only a few vegetables. Thank you! Polenta was divine. My friend loved her pumpkin ravioli.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable settingTeddDined on 2/12/2014I love this restaurant, have been there for lunch and dinner and will be going back. Looking forward to their casual addition. The restaurant is scheduled for a major renovation and it sounds like a real winner. The food has always been outstanding. If you attend a Kennedy Center performance, it is easy to park and attend, across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Here.......MichaelDined on 2/11/2014We were pleased with our first experience at Ancora. The service was excellent as was the food. The vegetable-fagioli was an incredibly delicious starter. My venison dish was cooked to perfection and the portion was a nice size. My wife's scallop dish was equal in perfect preparation, but we thought the serving size a bit small for an entree. The desert menu had was creative and neither of us were disappointed in the results. A unique feature was the hidden coat closet that was controlled by the maitre'd. One area that excelled was the bread offering. The butter was pre-softened so that it spread easily when used. I wish more restaurants would do this. We will return and look forward to trying some different creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early post-theater diningFormerFedVIPDined on 2/7/2014We attended an early show at the Kennedy Center's Jazz Club, so were able to get to Ancora for an after-performance dinner about 9 PM. "Adriano A." provided friendly and efficient service throughout the meal. My Salumi cold-cuts platter was very tasty as was her pear salad. I enjoyed the Cappelacci pasta, but she found herself fighting too many bones in her Wholefish entree. (They did on her request remove the head before serving it.) She got an order of canoli to go for a later dessert. With many drinks, our pre-tip bill totaled $212, but we thought the evening worth it. We hope we can revisit Ancora after future visits to the Kennedy Center.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a Kennedy Center eveninOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/6/2014Ancora is the closest restaurant to the Kennedy Center and you can park in the Watergate lots just across the street from the concert venue. The food is excellent and it is easy to have a light meal of appetizers or a full dinner. The calamari appetizer was outstanding and unlike any calamari I have had before. Get a booth if you can. The tables are fairly close together and do not afford much privacy or soundproofing.Special Features:
- DisappointedArthurmanVIPDined on 2/6/2014We were fans of Kinkead's so we were expecting to get the same zucca ravioli as we'd had there before it closed. Unfortunately they were not nearly as good. I had the eggplant app. The eggplant was tasty, but the dollop of cheese on top was way too much. My wife's pear salad was very nice. We shared the cannoli trio--they sounded better than they were--somewhat bland and filled only on the ends with hollow centers. But a great location for the Kennedy Center.
- Pleasantly surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/5/2014We were very pleasantly suprised by the lovely dinner we enjoyed at Ancora before a recent Kennedy Center Performance. Service was attentive but not intrusive; our waiter even asked if we had a show to get to so that he could keep track of the timing. Romaine salad was excellent as were our pasta entrees. Park below and have half of the parking fee refunded on your check! Do make a reservation - the place was full when we left!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have followed Chef KinkaidOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/1/2014I have followed Chef Kinkaid since the early days of Kinkead's, when it was brand new and mostly empty. Besides the great food, the place had a great atmosphere, largely due to the décor and the Hilton Felton, the excellent pianist, who passed way too soon. Of course, the days of Kinkaid's having an empty dinning room changed fast when word got around of Chef Kinkaid's talent with fish and meat. Therefore, I had only the highest expectations for Ancora. I've dined there twice and both times the food has been nothing short of spectacular. The wine list, too, is top notch. Service was routinely excellent at Kinkead's, ditto Ancora. Once the refurbishing is completed, I have little doubt Ancora will be filled with admirers.Special Features:
- Ancora UpdateJoanBDined on 1/31/2014The food at Ancora is excellent now that Bob Kinkead has taken over as the chef. It's not only good for pre-theater but the food is worth a visit to this part of DC. I only regret that the restaurant will be closed soon for about 6 mos. for renovations. I didn't know there was a problem with the existing decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Theatre DinnerclarendonDined on 1/31/2014The food was terrific and the service good. We will definitely return. Only one of two restaurants convenient to the Kennedy Center that we would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.