Anchovies & Olives
1550 15th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Anchovies & Olives
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.anchoviesandolives.com/
- Phone: (206) 838-8080
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily 5:00pm-11:00pm. Power Hour: $1 oysters and wine and beer specials Sunday through Thursday 5-6pm and 10-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Zach Chambers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Jen Osborn at 206.588.0030 to have Chef Ethan Stowell and team prepare your next special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Osborn (206) 588-0030x
A word from Anchovies & Olives
Anchovies & Olives, located at 1550 15th Avenue in the booming Pike Pine Triangle neighborhood on Seattle’s Capitol Hill opened in February of 2009. This Italian seafood and pasta focused restaurant is number four for chef Ethan Stowell and his business partners. The wine list is 100% Italian with an emphasis on white varietals. Anchovies & Olives serves dinner Sunday-Thursday from 5pm –11pm and Friday and Saturday from 5pm-Midnight. Anchovies & Olives has a small patio for seasonal dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anchovies & Olives reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (28)romantic (28)hot spot (22)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Amazing surpriseWellsuitedDined on 11/7/2014What a great night. Went without any expectations and enjoyed every minute. Even the neighborhood was unique and bustling. Our server was amazing with detailed and passionate descriptions of every item. He took a your through the menu and even suggested wines. The appetizers were incredible, the smoked fish croustinis were in incredible find. The deep flavor and light dish were amazing. If you want a great night out, unpretentious restaurant where they care more about the food and the service then this is your place. Took a cab to the restaurant and walked back downtown and it was so nice and refreshing. Loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always one of our favoritesAdainSeattleVIPDined on 11/5/2014If you like well prepared seafood- with many crudo options, this is your restaurant. It's cozy, comfortable and delicious and there will be too many things on the menu that you will want to order- just plan on returning so you can work thru the entire menu.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceEatgirlDined on 11/3/2014Took a friend her for his birthday. Was a first for the both of us. We loved everything!!! Service was great, hostess was super friendly, and the food was amazing! Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wonderful flavor partyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2014Fantastic rigatoni. Changed the way I view sauces. The Hamachi collar was absolutely narvelous. Justin our server was spot on with his recommendations. Ask for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingScooterDined on 10/31/2014Had a wonderful meal here Friday. Greg was an outstanding, patient and helpful server who added to our experience. He had a complete command of every aspect of the dishes served. My cocktail was excellent, the crudo was a lovely presentation, the mackerel was like butter! grilled and seasoned perfectly, and the fried oysters, quite simply, the BEST I've EVER had! (I am well traveled, and have eaten at excellent restaurants nationally and internationally. This establishment was a VERY pleasant surprise, despite appearing to be a small neighborhood eatery.)Special Features:
- Cool place, great serviceKristininseattleDined on 10/30/2014Awesome decor, and a fun vibe with good music playing and all the kitchen action in full view. Great service too- attentive but not rushed. We went for restaurant week, which I know is a busy time, but the special menu's first and second courses were on the regular menu as well. Overall we liked the raw and cooked fish offerings a lot, but the pastas were spotty. One was delicious but watery and a touch over cooked; the other was heavy (a hand rolled whole wheat pasta) that really needed more acidity to brighten it up. Panna cotta was phenomenal, chocolate cake was a little dry and bland. Bottom line, I would come here again if I wanted to go all-out on really nice fish. I would not come here again for pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta AficionadosjudimacDined on 10/23/2014If you love pasta, you will enjoy the varieties offered at Anchovy and Olives. my husband and Ineach had a pasta dish that we had not seen on a menu outside of Italy. One was Bigoli, a dense whole wheat pasta with anchovy and mint! Delicious! The other dish was a light, black pasta with perfectly cooked squid. Fabulous! We love Staple and Fancy but we might have found. New favorite .Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerlovetodineVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food and our server was great! We love the ambiance and it was very romantic.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencechirpDined on 10/22/2014After dining at Staple & Fancy and finding it very disappointing, I was reticent to try Anchovies & Olives, but I'm so glad I overcame that reticence! From the friendly staff to the charming and knowledgeable waiter to the glorious food, it was a marvelous dining experience. The scallops with pork belly, parsnips & pistachios shows that the chef knows his alliteration as well as his flavors. The black cod with chanterelles was good as well, though my husband thought it could use an acidic component to balance the very smoky chanterelles. Desserts were beautifully presented and delicious and the wine pairings throughout the meal were spot on. Now that Rover's is closed, this may well be our new go-to spot for excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisZVIPDined on 10/21/2014Food quality and flavor has been sliding down for a while...
- excellent and creative seafoodhomechefvincentVIPDined on 10/20/2014Excellent food and taste fantastic. I love the uni butter pasta. Just love it.Special Features:
- A Sea of tasty MorselsurbangardengirlDined on 10/19/2014Everything was spot on delicious, we absolutely LOVED the smoked fish on toast - which the server told us is also a happy hour item...score!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was good, but not exceptionally so. Basic elements of food was there and the ingredients were high quality, but the flavors were muted. For the cost I expected a little more, but we still enjoyed the experience. Service was great.Special Features:
- Foodforthought2014Dined on 10/15/2014A very popular, small, noisy neighborhood restaurant with good food. Portions were quite small but variety of food options was good, with fish being the best choices. They advertise "first hour free" on parking but it's a flat $5. rate for evening parking so there's no way to get an hour free. Not a place for quiet conversation, but a fun spot for groups.Special Features:
- Good spot for dinnerLS174Dined on 10/11/2014Personally I wasn't wowed by the pastas, but everything else was great. Really good oysters, and the duck was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the journeydcyfloDined on 10/4/2014Had a great experience, from our knowledgeable waiter with her no-frills, but detail-rich delivery to (mostly) well-executed delicious plates. Our only complaint was the pasta dish. We love and understand the "chew" of proper al dente pasta, but ours we certainly a bit underdone. Scallops and pork belly was a real treat.Special Features:
- great evening outenjoyDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food that was highlighted by exceptional service. Every recommendation the server made was spot on.Special Features:
- Great date night!teakaebeeDined on 9/23/2014Going on a weeknight might be your best bet for getting a table without a reservation. There was 1 larger group in the restaurant when I went but overall the noise level was tolerable. I didn't realize it was a "sharable" type of place, but the server was very helpful in making food and cadence recommendations. Several of the cocktails were very tasty - I highly recommend any of the bourbon concoctions. The only downside was the price - it seemed a little steep. The food was certainly excellent and the service was even better. I'll be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and StaffrunnerstuDined on 9/23/2014We had a great dinner. The food was wonderful and the staff was great, they worked together seamlessly to make sure all our needs were met.Special Features:
- Good food/Fair serviceDeltaBoyDined on 9/22/2014Probably should have dined at the sister establishment next door. (They were busy when impasses by but the staff did not seem quite as distressed as A&O staff.) Lackluster oysters and had to order bread 3 times. Entrees saved the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding...but loudJr49erDined on 9/17/2014Food and service were spectacular...noise level could be dampened a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strikingly DisappointingRob2PBDined on 9/15/2014The total experience was a strikingly disappointing. The kitchen (open) was amateur and relatively unskilled. I watched our seared scallops and pork belly piled on a side counted with a wipe rag carelessly drop on part of the food while they prepared to plate the dish. Our other ravioli entrée was embarrassing dull and the raviolis were over cooked to the point of being dry. The wait staff was pleasant, but unfocused and forgetful (and it wasn't crowded). I asked to stage our four selections into three courses, yet after the first course everything else was brought out and piled onto the table. The wine list was an other disappointment. Our advise is stay clear of this place until a grown up takes charge and delivers on the product.Special Features:
- good food,seattlefrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014we dined here 5-6 times. food is very good. service is not. our server was actually helpful but was serving so many tables. we got our first drinks 35 min after we sat down. appetizers another 20 min. later. we probably won't go back again. food is good, but not that great to wait for.
- Good, not greatLHOOQDined on 9/8/2014Had high expectations for this place given the chef - it is good, not great. Recommend you dine elsewhere if you do not eat seafood. We looked at menu online and noticed a few non-fish options, but at the restaurant that night there was one appetizer and one entree that did not have fish (hard for one of our guests). Service was good and they actually made a pasta on special order with no fish, but overall underwhelmed.Special Features:
- undercooked, overratedPattyDined on 9/8/2014I liked the ambiance, the pasta was undercooked and served without a spoon,we looked around for a little, while the pasta was getting cold, to try to get a spoon to dish out the crab and sauce, finally got up and got our own. Not enough green food here. However the Escolar was fabulous I must say.
- Anniversary...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014We rarely get out without our two kids in tow, so our Anniversary night out (just the two of us!) was a special one. We chose to come back to Anchovies & Olives because we hadn't been in awhile, it was close, and we remembered it being good and not too loud (so you know, we could talk as adults for once!). We were right... From the minute we entered to the minute we left, the staff was amazing and very accommodating... answering all our questions about the food and sampling any wine for me that I was thinking about ordering. I highly recommend the duck breast with roasted figs - and although I had to send it back to cook it a little longer, it came back amazing! All in all - evening was fantastic, and restaurant was perfect for the nightSpecial Features:
- An Easy ChoicepompNcircVIPDined on 9/5/2014I was on vacation and googled "best seafood in Seattle." the first two articles mentioned A&O, then I mentioned it to a few local friends who all said "one of our favorites." I was not disappointed. It's romantic, it's simple but pretty inside, the open kitchen is fun and the staff is helpful, friendly and just attentive enough. The food deserves a more rhapsodic description than I have time for right now. Even the grilled summer beans were singular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly & WelcomingJgstudios1Dined on 9/5/2014Although we looked liked locals, we were not. The menu is outstanding and we enjoyed several different apps and small plates. Also offered half wine pours toward end of meal. In a nice quiet area. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Lovely. Beautiful. Fresh. Vibrant. Interesting. Clever yet respectful. Unpretentious but unique. Seamless service. Tight menu. Balanced offerings. Incredible oysters. Amazing crudo. Perfect duck.Special Features:
- Let me order what I want to eatformosabuilderDined on 8/27/2014Very, very pushy waiter. He tried about 5 times to get us to order wine with dinner (right after we ordered cocktails) and when we each ordered what we wanted to eat he kept insisting that we needed even more. He explained with glee how the meals had recently been made half as big! How many $20 plates should a person have to order just to get a meal? They are very small. After he realized we were going to stick with our cocktails and 1 plate each he couldn't be bothered to even talk with us any more. When he did come by he refilled the water in silence and then left. I haven't felt so put off by a restaurant in many years. It was like we were just too poor to be in there. (We're not!) How much pretension can you put in one restaurant?Special Features:
- Nicely done....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent bottled wine selections, limited offerings by the glass. Nice variety across all courses, well presented and prepared as described. One area for improvement, most heated dinners served coldSpecial Features:
- Some recent bad changesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014I have been visting every other week for a year. Unfortunately seafood main dishes were just reduced to 1/2 usual size leaving a wonderful 2 scallop entre with 9$ per scallop. Their pasta dishes have often lacked. The crudos are great with spice, art, and great seafood. Seems they are trying to save on servers with only one overworked server covering the whole restaurant. Cost cutting has removed this restaurant from my regular Capitol Hill list. Noisy with often inappropriate music. It used to be good.
- Nom Nom NomPeachDined on 8/17/2014Wow, Hhr menu is small and selective but spot on. The food is delicious and $1 Oysters where hands down some of the freshest in town. Thank you and wish you plenty of success. I will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better beforeElaineDined on 8/14/2014That was our third time. Whe're from Montréal. We asked to know what we are eating and we had not much intelligible answers. The music was not only very loud but not appropriate for the style of the restaurant and the customers. We though that it was for the staff only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food, great service. Appetizers were scrumptous and the crudo was nothing short of superb! A definite favorite, will return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not usual standard.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Food was not as good as usual. Crab Pasta dish was sparce with the crab and overpowered with corn. Was charged full price for happy hour listed rose, but service was very good, so I chose not to complain. Disappointed that oysters were not on their happy hour menu, but appreciate that they are scarce this season.Special Features:
- First TimersSandeeDined on 7/27/2014Four of us stopped in after reading a great review. We came for the a power Oyster Hour and LoVEd these delicious creatures. Our only wish is that more than one variety was available at this price All of the other food we samples was fabulous And we recommend this cute little 'find' for out-of-town guests. Way to go Chef Ethan Stowell!Special Features:
- Nice but not mind blowingAMinSeattleDined on 7/26/2014We picked this restaurant after reading very promising reviews, so we went there with very high expectations. Oysters were delicious, starters were original and yummi, our pasta main courses were good but not excellent. The wine, an Italian Barbaresco vintage 2009, was amazing. Also we were a bit surprised by the reservation policy of the restaurant, they called me the day before to confirm my reservation as if they had a waiting list and then the restaurant was half empty all evening.Special Features:
- Good food but priceyYanYanDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good and artistic but low in quantity and high in price. The pasta was filling, which was needed along with a protein dish in order to leave fulfilled, but it cost a lot. Unless one is a small eater, one will not be filled. Overall, food was very good.Special Features:
- Great food; service some lapsesdarwin96VIPDined on 7/25/2014I've been to A&O 4 times with colleagues and clients in big groups (4-8). Always loved the food and friendly service, so was excited to take my wife there when we had a night in Seattle. The food was great as always. However service, while still friendly, had lapses that were either (a) just a bad day (understaffed?) or (b) things noticed by a party of 2 that aren't obvious for larger social groups. Check-in was choppy and we got the worst 2-top in the restaurant despite having checked in early and there being MANY better open tables. Servers were very friendly when they appeared, but there were large delays in service. In the end I had to go ask for my check. Overall disappointed I couldn't show my wife how great I thought it was.