Anchovies & Olives
1550 15th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Anchovies & Olives
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.anchoviesandolives.com/
- Phone: 2068388080x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily 5:00pm-11:00pm. Power Hour: $1 oysters and wine and beer specials Sunday through Thursday 5-6pm and 10-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Zach Chambers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Jen Osborn at 206.588.0030 to have Chef Ethan Stowell and team prepare your next special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Osborn (206) 588-0030x
A word from Anchovies & Olives
Anchovies & Olives, located at 1550 15th Avenue in the booming Pike Pine Triangle neighborhood on Seattle’s Capitol Hill opened in February of 2009. This Italian seafood and pasta focused restaurant is number four for chef Ethan Stowell and his business partners. The wine list is 100% Italian with an emphasis on white varietals. Anchovies & Olives serves dinner Sunday-Thursday from 5pm –11pm and Friday and Saturday from 5pm-Midnight. Anchovies & Olives has a small patio for seasonal dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anchovies & Olives reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (30)romantic (22)notable wine list (20)hot spot (14)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was good, but not exceptionally so. Basic elements of food was there and the ingredients were high quality, but the flavors were muted. For the cost I expected a little more, but we still enjoyed the experience. Service was great.Special Features:
- Foodforthought2014Dined on 10/15/2014A very popular, small, noisy neighborhood restaurant with good food. Portions were quite small but variety of food options was good, with fish being the best choices. They advertise "first hour free" on parking but it's a flat $5. rate for evening parking so there's no way to get an hour free. Not a place for quiet conversation, but a fun spot for groups.Special Features:
- Good spot for dinnerLS174Dined on 10/11/2014Personally I wasn't wowed by the pastas, but everything else was great. Really good oysters, and the duck was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the journeydcyfloDined on 10/4/2014Had a great experience, from our knowledgeable waiter with her no-frills, but detail-rich delivery to (mostly) well-executed delicious plates. Our only complaint was the pasta dish. We love and understand the "chew" of proper al dente pasta, but ours we certainly a bit underdone. Scallops and pork belly was a real treat.Special Features:
- great evening outenjoyDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food that was highlighted by exceptional service. Every recommendation the server made was spot on.Special Features:
- Great food and StaffrunnerstuDined on 9/23/2014We had a great dinner. The food was wonderful and the staff was great, they worked together seamlessly to make sure all our needs were met.Special Features:
- Good food/Fair serviceDeltaBoyDined on 9/22/2014Probably should have dined at the sister establishment next door. (They were busy when impasses by but the staff did not seem quite as distressed as A&O staff.) Lackluster oysters and had to order bread 3 times. Entrees saved the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding...but loudJr49erDined on 9/17/2014Food and service were spectacular...noise level could be dampened a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strikingly DisappointingRob2PBDined on 9/15/2014The total experience was a strikingly disappointing. The kitchen (open) was amateur and relatively unskilled. I watched our seared scallops and pork belly piled on a side counted with a wipe rag carelessly drop on part of the food while they prepared to plate the dish. Our other ravioli entrée was embarrassing dull and the raviolis were over cooked to the point of being dry. The wait staff was pleasant, but unfocused and forgetful (and it wasn't crowded). I asked to stage our four selections into three courses, yet after the first course everything else was brought out and piled onto the table. The wine list was an other disappointment. Our advise is stay clear of this place until a grown up takes charge and delivers on the product.Special Features:
- good food,seattlefrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014we dined here 5-6 times. food is very good. service is not. our server was actually helpful but was serving so many tables. we got our first drinks 35 min after we sat down. appetizers another 20 min. later. we probably won't go back again. food is good, but not that great to wait for.
- Good, not greatLHOOQDined on 9/8/2014Had high expectations for this place given the chef - it is good, not great. Recommend you dine elsewhere if you do not eat seafood. We looked at menu online and noticed a few non-fish options, but at the restaurant that night there was one appetizer and one entree that did not have fish (hard for one of our guests). Service was good and they actually made a pasta on special order with no fish, but overall underwhelmed.Special Features:
- undercooked, overratedPattyDined on 9/8/2014I liked the ambiance, the pasta was undercooked and served without a spoon,we looked around for a little, while the pasta was getting cold, to try to get a spoon to dish out the crab and sauce, finally got up and got our own. Not enough green food here. However the Escolar was fabulous I must say.
- Anniversary...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014We rarely get out without our two kids in tow, so our Anniversary night out (just the two of us!) was a special one. We chose to come back to Anchovies & Olives because we hadn't been in awhile, it was close, and we remembered it being good and not too loud (so you know, we could talk as adults for once!). We were right... From the minute we entered to the minute we left, the staff was amazing and very accommodating... answering all our questions about the food and sampling any wine for me that I was thinking about ordering. I highly recommend the duck breast with roasted figs - and although I had to send it back to cook it a little longer, it came back amazing! All in all - evening was fantastic, and restaurant was perfect for the nightSpecial Features:
- An Easy ChoicepompNcircVIPDined on 9/5/2014I was on vacation and googled "best seafood in Seattle." the first two articles mentioned A&O, then I mentioned it to a few local friends who all said "one of our favorites." I was not disappointed. It's romantic, it's simple but pretty inside, the open kitchen is fun and the staff is helpful, friendly and just attentive enough. The food deserves a more rhapsodic description than I have time for right now. Even the grilled summer beans were singular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly & WelcomingJgstudios1Dined on 9/5/2014Although we looked liked locals, we were not. The menu is outstanding and we enjoyed several different apps and small plates. Also offered half wine pours toward end of meal. In a nice quiet area. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Lovely. Beautiful. Fresh. Vibrant. Interesting. Clever yet respectful. Unpretentious but unique. Seamless service. Tight menu. Balanced offerings. Incredible oysters. Amazing crudo. Perfect duck.Special Features:
- Let me order what I want to eatformosabuilderDined on 8/27/2014Very, very pushy waiter. He tried about 5 times to get us to order wine with dinner (right after we ordered cocktails) and when we each ordered what we wanted to eat he kept insisting that we needed even more. He explained with glee how the meals had recently been made half as big! How many $20 plates should a person have to order just to get a meal? They are very small. After he realized we were going to stick with our cocktails and 1 plate each he couldn't be bothered to even talk with us any more. When he did come by he refilled the water in silence and then left. I haven't felt so put off by a restaurant in many years. It was like we were just too poor to be in there. (We're not!) How much pretension can you put in one restaurant?Special Features:
- Nicely done....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent bottled wine selections, limited offerings by the glass. Nice variety across all courses, well presented and prepared as described. One area for improvement, most heated dinners served coldSpecial Features:
- Some recent bad changesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014I have been visting every other week for a year. Unfortunately seafood main dishes were just reduced to 1/2 usual size leaving a wonderful 2 scallop entre with 9$ per scallop. Their pasta dishes have often lacked. The crudos are great with spice, art, and great seafood. Seems they are trying to save on servers with only one overworked server covering the whole restaurant. Cost cutting has removed this restaurant from my regular Capitol Hill list. Noisy with often inappropriate music. It used to be good.
- Nom Nom NomPeachDined on 8/17/2014Wow, Hhr menu is small and selective but spot on. The food is delicious and $1 Oysters where hands down some of the freshest in town. Thank you and wish you plenty of success. I will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better beforeElaineDined on 8/14/2014That was our third time. Whe're from Montréal. We asked to know what we are eating and we had not much intelligible answers. The music was not only very loud but not appropriate for the style of the restaurant and the customers. We though that it was for the staff only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food, great service. Appetizers were scrumptous and the crudo was nothing short of superb! A definite favorite, will return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not usual standard.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Food was not as good as usual. Crab Pasta dish was sparce with the crab and overpowered with corn. Was charged full price for happy hour listed rose, but service was very good, so I chose not to complain. Disappointed that oysters were not on their happy hour menu, but appreciate that they are scarce this season.Special Features:
- First TimersSandeeDined on 7/27/2014Four of us stopped in after reading a great review. We came for the a power Oyster Hour and LoVEd these delicious creatures. Our only wish is that more than one variety was available at this price All of the other food we samples was fabulous And we recommend this cute little 'find' for out-of-town guests. Way to go Chef Ethan Stowell!Special Features:
- Nice but not mind blowingAMinSeattleDined on 7/26/2014We picked this restaurant after reading very promising reviews, so we went there with very high expectations. Oysters were delicious, starters were original and yummi, our pasta main courses were good but not excellent. The wine, an Italian Barbaresco vintage 2009, was amazing. Also we were a bit surprised by the reservation policy of the restaurant, they called me the day before to confirm my reservation as if they had a waiting list and then the restaurant was half empty all evening.Special Features:
- Good food but priceyYanYanDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good and artistic but low in quantity and high in price. The pasta was filling, which was needed along with a protein dish in order to leave fulfilled, but it cost a lot. Unless one is a small eater, one will not be filled. Overall, food was very good.Special Features:
- Great food; service some lapsesdarwin96VIPDined on 7/25/2014I've been to A&O 4 times with colleagues and clients in big groups (4-8). Always loved the food and friendly service, so was excited to take my wife there when we had a night in Seattle. The food was great as always. However service, while still friendly, had lapses that were either (a) just a bad day (understaffed?) or (b) things noticed by a party of 2 that aren't obvious for larger social groups. Check-in was choppy and we got the worst 2-top in the restaurant despite having checked in early and there being MANY better open tables. Servers were very friendly when they appeared, but there were large delays in service. In the end I had to go ask for my check. Overall disappointed I couldn't show my wife how great I thought it was.
- Enjoyable eveninghungryiDined on 7/23/2014From start to finish it was a very pleasant and delicious experience. Good service, excellent food, good wine. The take home bag of fresh pasta is an added treat. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and drink, music so-sobigyamDined on 7/21/2014excellent food quality and service commensurate with a bistro style delivery of service. all entrées were delicious especially seafood but pastas were not as good as expected (still quite good).Special Features:
- MediocreLissybellDined on 7/20/2014This was the first Ethan Stowell restaurant my husband and I visited. My husband had the scallops, they were cooked fine but he only got 2, and the waiter suggested other sides. My husband got the Bigoli and it was awful. Fishy wheat noodles. I had the Tonnarelli, roasted corn and crab pasta, and it was okay, but for the price, I was hoping for more lumps of crab. Oysters were good. We will try another of his places, perhaps Bar Cotto next door, as some reviews note to save your money and go there. The desert, however, was Devine. Hubby had the Meyer lemon cake and I had the pistachio gelato and cannoli, the highlight of the evening. As a side note, thought the chairs were some of the most uncomfortable I've sat on.
- great food, really loudwafflesDined on 7/17/2014I made a reservation and was told I could only come at 5:45 or 8:30. So we hustled down to be there on time. When we left at 8, half the tables were still empty.... All the food we had was excellent and beautifully prepared, I would for sure go back for the food. However, the music was SO loud that we literally had to lean forward the entire meal to hear each other. So, it wasn't relaxing, which is sort of the point of going out to dinner. Especially since we were with a friend visiting from out of state. We asked them to turn it down but they must like it that loud.Special Features:
- continuingly pleasant surprisebistrofanaticVIPDined on 7/7/2014A&O should rise to the list of one of Seattle's better "out of the routine", visionary restaurants that sustainsan ever-changing diversity of dishes drawn from the freshest available sources, especially seafood. Instead of the incentive to choose A&O because you know what's on the menu, you are always drawn to it because you know you'll be surprised, and ever pleasantly so.Special Features:
- Intimate but livelySeattleStarvedDined on 7/3/2014This was our second visit to A&O. Both times we were there in the summer when they open the big table-height windows onto the relatively quiet Capitol Hill neighborhood streets, lending sophisticated metropolitan airs to the otherwise narrow modern interior. Understated and elegant, the atmosphere is great for long conversations, the menu is interesting enough to satisfy a foody, and the staff is knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I hope to return at least once per year.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceChILVIPDined on 6/28/2014This was one of the best meals we've had in recent memory. The location was off the beaten path in Seattle (i.e. the Waterfront and downtown).Special Features:
- Great Friday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014My wife and I went to Anchovies & Olives on Friday June 27th. It was our first visit to an Ethan Stowell restaurant. We had a reservation for 7:15 and arrived approximately 10mins early. We sat at the bar for a cocktail and appetizer while we waited for our table. about five minutes in the server let us know our table was ready but to by no means rush, we could sit at the bar and enjoy our snack and drink and move once complete - this was a small thing but a nice touch of service as we were enjoying ourselves at the bar. The dinner was excellent. I can't recall the dish's name I ordered, it was off menu, something the server told me about, but I could equate it to a mac n cheese type dish with spaghetti noodles and a light bread crumb.Special Features:
- Fun with friendsTiffanyDined on 6/26/2014We dined here several years ago when we were on vacation. We recently relocated here and had friends in from out of state. This place is wonderful. I love the intimate feeling and seeing the kitchen right in front of you! Food and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 752 reviews are from the Anchovies & Olives reviews archive.
- Another decent gem in SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014Service was outstanding. Oysters were excellent. Scallops divine. Octopus rigatoni - average at best.Special Features:
- Best seafood I've had in SeattleMuFoodDined on 6/12/2014I'm not a huge seafood guy. Sushi here and there, but I'll generally order other things first. This place was known for seafood, though, so they had a challenge with me. Most seafood-centric places I'd been left me disappointed They delivered. Everything I had was delicious and renewed my interest in seafood. Only negative was that they were busier than expected while also down a server, so the service was pretty slow that night. In their defense, though, they gave us a delicious octopus salad as penance.Special Features:
- oysters olives & duck :)CynFinnellVIPDined on 6/6/2014Ethan Stowell never disappoints! Great oysters selection, lovely drink, excellent duck & of course great pastaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic DinnerEmilyDined on 6/5/2014We loved our experience at Anchovies and Olives- our server was excellent and really made the evening enjoyable and memorable with her engaging personality and knowledge of the food. It was my husband's birthday and dessert came with a birthday candle- very sweet. The food was excellent.Special Features: