Anchovies & Olives
1550 15th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Anchovies & Olives
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.anchoviesandolives.com/
- Phone: 2068388080x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Daily 5:00pm-11:00pm. Power Hour: $1 oysters and wine and beer specials Sunday through Thursday 5-6pm and 10-close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Zach Chambers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Jen Osborn at 206.588.0030 to have Chef Ethan Stowell and team prepare your next special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Osborn (206) 588-0030x
A word from Anchovies & Olives
Anchovies & Olives, located at 1550 15th Avenue in the booming Pike Pine Triangle neighborhood on Seattle’s Capitol Hill opened in February of 2009. This Italian seafood and pasta focused restaurant is number four for chef Ethan Stowell and his business partners. The wine list is 100% Italian with an emphasis on white varietals. Anchovies & Olives serves dinner Sunday-Thursday from 5pm –11pm and Friday and Saturday from 5pm-Midnight. Anchovies & Olives has a small patio for seasonal dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Anchovies & Olives - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Anchovies & Olives reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (48)special occasion (26)romantic (21)notable wine list (20)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Let me order what I want to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Very, very pushy waiter. He tried about 5 times to get us to order wine with dinner (right after we ordered cocktails) and when we each ordered what we wanted to eat he kept insisting that we needed even more. He explained with glee how the meals had recently been made half as big! How many $20 plates should a person have to order just to get a meal? They are very small. After he realized we were going to stick with our cocktails and 1 plate each he couldn't be bothered to even talk with us any more. When he did come by he refilled the water in silence and then left. I haven't felt so put off by a restaurant in many years. It was like we were just too poor to be in there. (We're not!) How much pretension can you put in one restaurant?Special Features:
- Nicely done....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent bottled wine selections, limited offerings by the glass. Nice variety across all courses, well presented and prepared as described. One area for improvement, most heated dinners served coldSpecial Features:
- Some recent bad changesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014I have been visting every other week for a year. Unfortunately seafood main dishes were just reduced to 1/2 usual size leaving a wonderful 2 scallop entre with 9$ per scallop. Their pasta dishes have often lacked. The crudos are great with spice, art, and great seafood. Seems they are trying to save on servers with only one overworked server covering the whole restaurant. Cost cutting has removed this restaurant from my regular Capitol Hill list. Noisy with often inappropriate music. It used to be good.
- Nom Nom NomPeachDined on 8/17/2014Wow, Hhr menu is small and selective but spot on. The food is delicious and $1 Oysters where hands down some of the freshest in town. Thank you and wish you plenty of success. I will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better beforeElaineDined on 8/14/2014That was our third time. Whe're from Montréal. We asked to know what we are eating and we had not much intelligible answers. The music was not only very loud but not appropriate for the style of the restaurant and the customers. We though that it was for the staff only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food, great service. Appetizers were scrumptous and the crudo was nothing short of superb! A definite favorite, will return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not usual standard.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Food was not as good as usual. Crab Pasta dish was sparce with the crab and overpowered with corn. Was charged full price for happy hour listed rose, but service was very good, so I chose not to complain. Disappointed that oysters were not on their happy hour menu, but appreciate that they are scarce this season.Special Features:
- First TimersSandeeDined on 7/27/2014Four of us stopped in after reading a great review. We came for the a power Oyster Hour and LoVEd these delicious creatures. Our only wish is that more than one variety was available at this price All of the other food we samples was fabulous And we recommend this cute little 'find' for out-of-town guests. Way to go Chef Ethan Stowell!Special Features:
- Nice but not mind blowingAMinSeattleDined on 7/26/2014We picked this restaurant after reading very promising reviews, so we went there with very high expectations. Oysters were delicious, starters were original and yummi, our pasta main courses were good but not excellent. The wine, an Italian Barbaresco vintage 2009, was amazing. Also we were a bit surprised by the reservation policy of the restaurant, they called me the day before to confirm my reservation as if they had a waiting list and then the restaurant was half empty all evening.Special Features:
- Good food but priceyYanYanDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good and artistic but low in quantity and high in price. The pasta was filling, which was needed along with a protein dish in order to leave fulfilled, but it cost a lot. Unless one is a small eater, one will not be filled. Overall, food was very good.Special Features:
- Great food; service some lapsesdarwin96VIPDined on 7/25/2014I've been to A&O 4 times with colleagues and clients in big groups (4-8). Always loved the food and friendly service, so was excited to take my wife there when we had a night in Seattle. The food was great as always. However service, while still friendly, had lapses that were either (a) just a bad day (understaffed?) or (b) things noticed by a party of 2 that aren't obvious for larger social groups. Check-in was choppy and we got the worst 2-top in the restaurant despite having checked in early and there being MANY better open tables. Servers were very friendly when they appeared, but there were large delays in service. In the end I had to go ask for my check. Overall disappointed I couldn't show my wife how great I thought it was.
- Enjoyable eveninghungryiDined on 7/23/2014From start to finish it was a very pleasant and delicious experience. Good service, excellent food, good wine. The take home bag of fresh pasta is an added treat. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and drink, music so-sobigyamDined on 7/21/2014excellent food quality and service commensurate with a bistro style delivery of service. all entrées were delicious especially seafood but pastas were not as good as expected (still quite good).Special Features:
- MediocreLissybellDined on 7/20/2014This was the first Ethan Stowell restaurant my husband and I visited. My husband had the scallops, they were cooked fine but he only got 2, and the waiter suggested other sides. My husband got the Bigoli and it was awful. Fishy wheat noodles. I had the Tonnarelli, roasted corn and crab pasta, and it was okay, but for the price, I was hoping for more lumps of crab. Oysters were good. We will try another of his places, perhaps Bar Cotto next door, as some reviews note to save your money and go there. The desert, however, was Devine. Hubby had the Meyer lemon cake and I had the pistachio gelato and cannoli, the highlight of the evening. As a side note, thought the chairs were some of the most uncomfortable I've sat on.
- great food, really loudwafflesDined on 7/17/2014I made a reservation and was told I could only come at 5:45 or 8:30. So we hustled down to be there on time. When we left at 8, half the tables were still empty.... All the food we had was excellent and beautifully prepared, I would for sure go back for the food. However, the music was SO loud that we literally had to lean forward the entire meal to hear each other. So, it wasn't relaxing, which is sort of the point of going out to dinner. Especially since we were with a friend visiting from out of state. We asked them to turn it down but they must like it that loud.Special Features:
- continuingly pleasant surprisebistrofanaticVIPDined on 7/7/2014A&O should rise to the list of one of Seattle's better "out of the routine", visionary restaurants that sustainsan ever-changing diversity of dishes drawn from the freshest available sources, especially seafood. Instead of the incentive to choose A&O because you know what's on the menu, you are always drawn to it because you know you'll be surprised, and ever pleasantly so.Special Features:
- Intimate but livelySeattleStarvedDined on 7/3/2014This was our second visit to A&O. Both times we were there in the summer when they open the big table-height windows onto the relatively quiet Capitol Hill neighborhood streets, lending sophisticated metropolitan airs to the otherwise narrow modern interior. Understated and elegant, the atmosphere is great for long conversations, the menu is interesting enough to satisfy a foody, and the staff is knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I hope to return at least once per year.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceChILVIPDined on 6/28/2014This was one of the best meals we've had in recent memory. The location was off the beaten path in Seattle (i.e. the Waterfront and downtown).Special Features:
- Great Friday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014My wife and I went to Anchovies & Olives on Friday June 27th. It was our first visit to an Ethan Stowell restaurant. We had a reservation for 7:15 and arrived approximately 10mins early. We sat at the bar for a cocktail and appetizer while we waited for our table. about five minutes in the server let us know our table was ready but to by no means rush, we could sit at the bar and enjoy our snack and drink and move once complete - this was a small thing but a nice touch of service as we were enjoying ourselves at the bar. The dinner was excellent. I can't recall the dish's name I ordered, it was off menu, something the server told me about, but I could equate it to a mac n cheese type dish with spaghetti noodles and a light bread crumb.Special Features:
- Fun with friendsTiffanyDined on 6/26/2014We dined here several years ago when we were on vacation. We recently relocated here and had friends in from out of state. This place is wonderful. I love the intimate feeling and seeing the kitchen right in front of you! Food and service were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another decent gem in SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014Service was outstanding. Oysters were excellent. Scallops divine. Octopus rigatoni - average at best.Special Features:
- Best seafood I've had in SeattleMuFoodDined on 6/12/2014I'm not a huge seafood guy. Sushi here and there, but I'll generally order other things first. This place was known for seafood, though, so they had a challenge with me. Most seafood-centric places I'd been left me disappointed They delivered. Everything I had was delicious and renewed my interest in seafood. Only negative was that they were busier than expected while also down a server, so the service was pretty slow that night. In their defense, though, they gave us a delicious octopus salad as penance.Special Features:
- oysters olives & duck :)CynFinnellVIPDined on 6/6/2014Ethan Stowell never disappoints! Great oysters selection, lovely drink, excellent duck & of course great pastaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic DinnerEmilyDined on 6/5/2014We loved our experience at Anchovies and Olives- our server was excellent and really made the evening enjoyable and memorable with her engaging personality and knowledge of the food. It was my husband's birthday and dessert came with a birthday candle- very sweet. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Lovegoodfood2014Dined on 5/31/2014Took my mother and family members here before seeing a SIFF film about Italy (Trip to Italy). The wait person recommended we try dishes from each section of the menu and share. Excellent suggestion. Fish cooked perfectly with delightfully innovative sauces, oysters divine, pasta had wonderful light lemony sauce- delicious. Everything was a taste treat. My family knows good food and they all raved about the taste delights that Anchovies & Olives served us. We will be back again, including the family members visiting from the San Francisco area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3x / 1weekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2014Came here and next door 3x in one week because I wanted my dates/friends to experience the uni.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!HellyDined on 5/25/2014One of my fav spots for dinner! The hostess greeted me right away and offered to take my items since I had a umbrella and 2 bags. First impressions set the tone, so that was nice. We started with the escolar and uni and they were both delicious. Our entrees were the bigoli which was really yummy; my friend had the linguine with crab. My friend really enjoyed it but I thought it was lacking in crab and flavor. Overall a very nice dinner and I would continue to go back.Special Features:
- First Time DinerSummertimeSeattliteDined on 5/24/2014A very enjoyable experience! Even though we arrived earlier than our reserved time, we were cordially greeted and promptly seated. While waiting for the rest of our party,our server offered informative suggestions from the wine list, served bread and an appetizer which we ordered. When all 4 of us were seated, the server went over the menu and very graciously answered our many questions. We shared grilled ramps and fried oysters for starters. The oysters were not overly breaded and well seasoned. 3 of us ordered the striped bass and all agreed it was very tasty and artfully presented (very small portions). 1 of our party had the scallops which were cooked to perfection and was, in our opinion, the best choice. The service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time. Nice evening.JenErichDined on 5/16/2014Our first time to A and O and we had a lovely time, with some reservations. We ordered Hamachi and fried oysters as starters. Agnolotti as a pasta, and duck breast and rockfish as entree's. The Hamachi was absolutely wonderful and fresh. The oysters were fried perfectly and very fresh but were a bit too salty. The agnolotti, although good, was even more salty and the rockfish was so salty I could not eat more than 3 or 4 bites. The duck breast was superb and perfectly done. My wife and I have very different reactions to salty food, but both found the three dishes overly salted. We still would recommend the restaurant, and will be going back to try other entrees.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014This was my second visit. Menu very different from first time. Food was excellent You MUST have the scallop crudo with peas - fabulous! Great service. We will return and recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Kicked OutLuvfoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014They asked us to leave after 90 min just as we were about to order dessert.
- Great foodKerryDined on 5/5/2014The waiter was great and the food was the best meal I ate in Seattle in six weeks. I ate out every night with about a 60 per person buget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, young crowdssseattleDined on 5/4/2014It is a great spot for gourmet dining and a younger crowd. Food is expellant, and can accommodate any diet or specific likes.Special Features:
- popdineatSEAPopDinerDined on 5/2/2014One of the best in the vicinity, superb seafood and pairing wine list. Would recommend to any hungry soul with a taste for seafood served differentlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 737 reviews are from the Anchovies & Olives reviews archive.
- Love to eatFood4meDined on 4/27/2014Olives and anchovies was a wonderful place to dine . The food was amazing ,the wait staff was outstanding ,and the atmosphere was fun .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All over the placeArynDined on 4/26/2014We started with raw oysters which were good though very small. The raw tuna appetizer was interesting but a little disappointing. The linguine with crab was so bland that we sent it back. The clam buccatini was the best thing on the table and was very good. Overall, not very happy with the experience and thought the restaurant would be much better.
- Unpleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014The four of us had to yell to have a conversation, and when I asked our server if they could lower it he said they just did, but they need to wait and see how things go before lowering it again as he scanned the restaurant. He also spilled twice on me and had to apologize and get us more napkins. Was expecting great food, but the octopus appetizer was lukewarm, not hot; the pasta fettucine was way buttery and we had asked our server who said it was light, and not too buttery at all. The loud and "energetic" music and atmosphere made our whole dining experience tense and unpleasant. The atmosphere plus the average quality at best food was highly disappointing. We will not be returning.
- Good service, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014We had wanted to go to this restaurant for some time, and took the opportunity to celebrate our son's birthday there. We were early for our reservation, but were promptly seated before scheduled. The service was courteous and welcoming. Our server offered help with the menu, should we have needed it. The appetizers were served expediently, and the entrées followed promptly. The food was simple with a complexity of flavors, and the plating was aesthetically pleasing. The portion sizing was great. We don't appreciate heaping portions you get at some establishments which facilitate overeating, so we were pleased. There was ample food without being excessive. The pasta and seafood was fresh, and the recipes unique. Good experience.Special Features:
- disappointinglovefishDined on 4/20/2014the food was okay…we took our servers recommendations and never felt we ordered something that we would have again…expensive
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014We were a group of 5. Out table was ready when we arrived and our server was able to answer our questions . We all enjoyed the food we ordered however, the service deteriorated quickly. While two of our guests were still having their main course, the table was cleared of the other plates and our server brought the dessert menu! At this point we had barely been there an hour. Needless to say we didn't even look at the desserts and left.