Anchor and Hope
83 Minna Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Anchor and Hope
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.anchorandhopesf.com/
- Phone: 4155019100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Vernon Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anchor and Hope
From the owners of Town Hall and Salt House comes Anchor & Hope Restaurant, an oyster bar and fish house located at 83 Minna Street. Housed in a renovated, 100 year old brick building, formerly the studio of sculptor Benny Bufano, Anchor & Hope offers the warmth of an Eastern Seaboard fish house with dishes such as warm sea urchin served in the shell, our lobster roll, and petrale sole…and yes, there are dishes for those who fear the sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anchor and Hope reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (117)neighborhood gem (86)good for groups (68)hot spot (63)great for lunch (63)special occasion (44)notable wine list (34)vibrant bar scene (26)romantic (26)late-night find (12)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good food but very noisyJamieDined on 10/22/2014Popular lunch spot in an alley way off the main drags in SF. Food was very good and service was also, however, if you are trying to have a conversation be aware that noise levels are very high hereSpecial Features:
- Service????OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014When our waiter got a table of 13, he dumped us and had another waiter finish with us. Plus, they did not have a small dinner salad on their menu, but they stated they could easily make one up for me- they took advantage of this request, and charged me $12 for a small dinner side salad.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Food was outstanding. Menu had so many fabulous choices was hard to decide. Service was good, but waitress not well versed in contents of certain dishes when inquired due to food allergies. Would highly recommend regardless.Special Features:
- Neighborhood findEscheidtVIPDined on 10/18/2014Restaurant in a quiet area of SOMA. Very accessible to garages and parking. Food was very good! Service was even better! Only issue is, it is very dimly lit restaurant with small print menus with dark lettering. Bring your flashlights if you want to read the menus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Lobsta" RollBCFSanJoseDined on 10/17/2014Loved the space. Potato chips were outstanding. And my lobster roll and"Tater Tots" were to die for.Special Features:
- Hip place for a business lunchFisdoytDined on 10/17/2014Located in the heart of SOMA, Anchor & Hope is not a bad place for lunch. With brick/concrete floor and wals it can get a bit loud/ but the noise also offers a veil of privacy. Though it was packed Friday lunch time I couldn't even hear anyone else's conversation. The food? Meh it's good- it works but it's expensive for the quality. Be prepared to spend around 20 for a medium chicken salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and Delicious seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014Best menu of oysters around. Food is fresh, fun and delicious. Service is great--only downside is you need a reservation and it gets noisy.Special Features:
- Great find!!!Love2eatDined on 10/14/2014Working at Moscone, found this place on OpenTable! It was great! Good food, excellent service! A bit loud (the acoustics are a bit tough for a high ceiling,brick room) but all around, very nice for our party of 6. Would love a full bar, but not a deal breaker...will recommend and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a business lunchPluskoDined on 10/10/2014A little on the expensive side but a nice hip place for a business lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Beer was amazingly delicious. Great for business dinnersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceThrashVIPDined on 10/4/2014We arrived 15 minutes early for our reservation, checked in and were promptly seated. We then waited 15+ minutes for the waitress to arrive to take our order. After another 15 minutes, we were still waiting for our drinks to arrive. With our waitress nowhere in sight, we informed the hostess that we were leaving. After being at the restaurant for over 30 minutes and still waiting for our drinks, it was clear that it would be a very long time before our meal entered the picture. We were very disappointed with the experience.
- MehDahoVIPDined on 10/3/2014The service was terrible. The food was below average. It was very hot in the restaurant. I have been to this restaurant a number of times and the last couple of times has been noticeably poorer than it has been. There are plenty of terrific restaurants in San Francisco, so I will not be returning to this one.
- Good food, pretty good service.idkmybffevaVIPDined on 9/30/2014Their dishes were unique and delicious but we did feel a bit rushed throughout the entire experience. I feel we didn't have time to just enjoy ourselves. It was an eat and leave experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveeggsDined on 9/28/2014$240 incl tip for dinner for three with 4 glasses of wine at a casual restaurant next to a huge construction site is too much, even in San Francisco. Not worth it.
- alrightamandaDined on 9/28/2014We had a grear waiter, but they messed up our order and I don't think the good satisfied my personal platter. I also felt like the meal was a little overpriced. Everything in there was nicely decorated and looked really nice.Special Features:
- Seafood & BrewsfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Warm and attentive service in this low key restaurant. Great craft beer list and good selection of interesting wines by the glass that pair well with the food. Seafood and vegetables are fresh and not your usual run of the mill seafood combinations. Booked restaurant for my father's birthday and everyone from the booking manager to all of the servers came by to wish him well. My husband ordered the Belgian quad for a dessert drink for my dad and the restaurant comped that as well as a lovely dessert with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate and a candle. They didn't rush us out of the restaurant after we finished, which was nice. Thanked us again for coming on our way out. They couldn't have done anything better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceMarieVIPDined on 9/26/2014I was able to change my dinner time & add another person to my group. Very busy Friday evening. Manager was able to accommodate my needs to my anniversary dinner & made us all very happy. We are from Orange County & it was my husband's first visit. He loved it! Thank you Anchor & Hope. See you soon.Special Features:
- Special OccasionsMichelleDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant continues to be my favorite special occasion spot. The food is great and the service is so friendly and professional. I took my boyfriend here for our one year anniversary and we had the best night!! Thank you :)Special Features:
- Great Food but Service FailsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food selection was nice and our dinner was very good. This is a fun off-the-Wharf location for seafood. The only downside was the lack of service. The only way we could get service was asking one of the bus boys for help. Our server never checked on us and was inattentive. For a meal that was over $60 per person (no alcohol), we expected much better. There are many options in San Francisco for great seafood, but due to the lack of service we will not return to Anchor and Hope.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurant!MW4502VIPDined on 9/19/2014From the moment we were greeted at the door, Anchor and Hope was a great experience. Chris was attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Food was fabulous. Oysters - yum! Pork belly, octopus, beet appetizer - double yum!! We shared trout and a lobster roll - both excellent. Dessert was best panna cotta ever. Definitely a winner.Special Features:
- Disappointing visitNiktaVIPDined on 9/19/2014I was part of a group for a business lunch. We mentioned we were running late when we arrived, our food still took nearly 30 minutes to come out of the kitchen. Even if we weren't wasn't in a hurry, that would be far too long to wait at lunch. Then, to top it off, one of my guests found a hair in the coleslaw that came with his (not inexpensive) lobster roll. I've been to Anchor and Hope a number times before, butI never found it to be it so loud. We all had to lean in to be heard over the din of the restaurant (there were only four of us). If you go, I would recommend not going right at noon. Overall, a very, very disappointing visit. Especially when you're hosting clients for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor servicestephsfDined on 9/13/2014We felt neglected by wait staff. The food was good though. With a little more attention I'd rate this spot four stars.Special Features:
- Bright and sunnysaffafoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014I love having lunch at Anchor and Hope. The ambiance and light is normally bright during the day and the space feels large and relaxing. Service is good. Food is always consistent.Special Features:
- I Love This Place!Food4thoughtVIPDined on 9/4/2014I love the host and wait staff, and I have never had a bad meal. If you love fish, you will love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors and Well ExecutedAndrewTDined on 9/3/2014This was my third trip and I would continue repeating because the service has been outstanding and the food is always exciting. I would highly recommend Anchor & Hope to anyone who is looking for seafood where the freshness of the seafood is the center point. All the flavors that the kitchen produces work to highlight that freshness. Great choice for bringing out of town guests who crave a coastal seafood experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anchor & HopewingjVIPDined on 9/3/2014We haven't been back for quite a while & am glad that we picked this place to meet for lunch last week - both of us enjoyed it! For sure will visit more often....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ServiceSFSweetheartVIPDined on 9/3/2014Great place to do business in fun, light, and quiet enough atmosphere. Service is great, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal and speedy serviceGelenDined on 8/31/2014My partner and I ate here and it is a good dining experience but nothing amazing. Food is nice and service great... But did feel like they were rushing us through. Pretty good value for money but we had better meals elsewhere in San Fran.Special Features:
- Nice ambianceHannahDined on 8/28/2014We had a great dinner with friends there. Cocktails are original. Dishes are made with fresh products.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for corporate accountsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/28/2014Love the oysters and the place in general. It is a little too dark for my taste and pretty expensive once you get to main courses. But the food is very good and it never disappoints. It's great when somebody else is paying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great clam chowderhalibut42Dined on 8/28/2014I wasn't feeling very hungry that evening so I ordered the clam chowder and the halibut Sashimi. Clam chowder was very good, but the halibut was not much to my liking. Outside the restaurant was a little deceiving but the inside had a nice decor and a great ambience. I definitely would attend again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousnaparoseVIPDined on 8/27/2014Great menu and wonderful seafood. Very energetic place!Special Features:
- enjoyable all aroundSF0772VIPDined on 8/25/2014great restaurant, seafood and services are amazing - perfect near convention center:)Special Features:
- Great Food, Okay ServiceMAJTimDined on 8/20/2014Food was delicious and fresh. The Happy Hour raw oysters were a great value. Food came out quickly but their wait staff is short handed. Took forever to place an order and to get the check after requesting it from four different individuals. Restaurant is off the beaten path and is still a good find to celebrate special occasions. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/18/2014The food is delicious-- especially the oysters. They have several oysters to choose from and the staff is very knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific fishTastyTexansDined on 8/17/2014I wish i knew how to cook fish the way Anchor and Hope does. Terrific wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014The food was amazing.. the potato chips alone are almost worth going. We shared three appetizers/small plates - calamari, salmon tartare, and summer squash. Everything was a unique mix of flavors that was amazing. Server was very nice, but slow. Didn't seem that busy or any reason for the slow service. Huge beer selection, no liquor, decent selection of wines. Cool ambiance. Would recommend, would return.Special Features:
- Best seafood in the city!Champers415Dined on 8/15/2014An excellent meal with top notch service. So many yummy oysters we had to splurge for a nice bottle of champagne to pair them with. Our waiter was amazing and helped us pick out the perfect bottle of wine. A romantic date spot and a wonderful place to meet friends after work. We will definitely be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ATL in SFFoodInMotionDined on 8/14/2014Nice find. Great service. Much better inside than the outside suggests.Special Features:
- disappointedOL2HVIPDined on 8/13/2014We visit A&H frequently and on this occasion were disappointed. The trout, one of our favorites, was woefully underdone (unlike salmon, trout doesn't normally make a good sashimi !) and the moules frites was served without even the offer of bread. Any Frenchman would be horrified! Sorry to see one of our neighborhood staples slip. Meanwhile, the beer selection remains outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.