Anchor and Hope
83 Minna Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Anchor and Hope
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.anchorandhopesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 501-9100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Vernon Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anchor and Hope
From the owners of Town Hall and Salt House comes Anchor & Hope Restaurant, an oyster bar and fish house located at 83 Minna Street. Housed in a renovated, 100 year old brick building, formerly the studio of sculptor Benny Bufano, Anchor & Hope offers the warmth of an Eastern Seaboard fish house with dishes such as warm sea urchin served in the shell, our lobster roll, and petrale sole…and yes, there are dishes for those who fear the sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anchor and Hope reviews from OpenTable diners
200 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (113)neighborhood gem (81)good for groups (73)hot spot (61)great for lunch (60)special occasion (38)notable wine list (37)romantic (32)vibrant bar scene (26)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great Seafood!1FabFoodieVIPDined on 11/22/2014We had excellent service and food. The mussels are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome seafood in a hidden spot downtown.SnowcatDined on 11/21/2014Great spot for business lunch. Delicious food, vibrant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv3dineDined on 11/19/2014We have been to Anchor and Hope several tines and always enjoyed it very much. Excellent seafood and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we've found Anchor & HopeHarveyClanVIPDined on 11/19/2014We went for wine and oysters... just a light meal and were delighted with the service, wine list and oysters. Fun decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it❤️KK15Dined on 11/15/2014This was a new restaurant for me that popped up in the Open Table feed. I was celebrating my birthday & at the very last minute was looking for a place for a Saturday night dinner. We arrived early for our reservation & we were able to get our table immediately. Decor is casual, interesting & chic. The food was very good. A nice unexpected twist on every fish dish. I had the rockfish, husband had the sole & my daughter had the red spotted trout. We started with the small raw platter which was the perfect size & delicious. To be honest the desserts did not sound very excitung to us but since it was my birthday so we decided to go for it. We ordered the last three on the menu. What a surprise as they were all fantastic especially the pannacotta. The other two were the banana lemon cake & the pumpkin bread pudding. They highlighted my b-day with a candle on the pudding. Overall we had a great time & highly recommend Anchor & Hope. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but NOISYpfoxsfVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food (oysters, trout, rockfish) were all excellent. The service started out great but an hour into the meal the restaurant got more crowded and the service declined. Additionally the noise level made it nearly impossible to have a conversation with my dining companion. The server also disappeared after serving dessert and it took us a long time to get her attention to get the bill and then even longer to get someone to take my credit card - I was ready to go to the hostess desk to have them run my card.Special Features:
- Great MealLeviDined on 11/4/2014Was looking for a seafood restaurant close to the BART. A&H was a perfect fit. Service was awesome, lobster roll was excellent. Good wine, good ambiance, could have used just a bit more light thouht. A bit too dark inside.Special Features:
- More than HopeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/31/2014This is a true gem with a diverse menu executed flawlessly. The Lobster Roll seems out of place until you try it! It's amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mccalmoVIPDined on 10/28/2014It 's a solid option. Not fantabulous. We had a good time and good food. The wine options are limited but relatively good. Great beer selections.Special Features:
- LellaVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great seafood restaurant. Does have a few selections for those that don't like seafood or don't wishes to eat it through the whole meal. House Moules Frittes/delicious, good selection of oysters, crispy pork belly with octopus/tasty. All staff are very friendly and attentive, but not overtly. One of our favourite spots.Special Features:
- A hidden gemplanksterDined on 10/24/2014Recommended by a friend who works in the City periodically, we found our way to Anchor and Hope for lunch while in town for the World Series. Tucked away in what appears to be an alley, we were a bit apprehensive that this was the restaurant she was talking about. What a wonderful surprise it turned out to be. The staff was friendly, professional and helpful. They have an outstanding oyster selection and a wide variety of options on the menu. We found their food to be delicious and their wine and craft beer selection quite extensive. The restaurant itself is bright and airy with a bit of an eclectic feel. We will definitely be back the next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Good food but very noisyJamieDined on 10/22/2014Popular lunch spot in an alley way off the main drags in SF. Food was very good and service was also, however, if you are trying to have a conversation be aware that noise levels are very high hereSpecial Features:
- Service????Dumped13Dined on 10/20/2014When our waiter got a table of 13, he dumped us and had another waiter finish with us. Plus, they did not have a small dinner salad on their menu, but they stated they could easily make one up for me- they took advantage of this request, and charged me $12 for a small dinner side salad.Special Features:
- Not memorableSosoDined on 10/20/2014Picked this place because I was dying for seafood and my first choice Bar Crudo was closed on a Monday. I can't say that anything was terrible but I spent $300 on dinner for two (included $56 bottle of wine and tip but no dessert) and can definitely say that everything was forgettable. As I was eating I seemed to remember a chef friend of mine saying to me once "don't do seafood at a restaurant on Monday". Had the seafood plateaux, all four of the Crudo and all seafood was chewy. The salmon ceviche was way too sweet, the kale salad not bad and the Angels on horseback ok, but bacon saves everything. As I said forgettable except for the price.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Food was outstanding. Menu had so many fabulous choices was hard to decide. Service was good, but waitress not well versed in contents of certain dishes when inquired due to food allergies. Would highly recommend regardless.Special Features:
- Neighborhood findEscheidtVIPDined on 10/18/2014Restaurant in a quiet area of SOMA. Very accessible to garages and parking. Food was very good! Service was even better! Only issue is, it is very dimly lit restaurant with small print menus with dark lettering. Bring your flashlights if you want to read the menus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Lobsta" RollBCFSanJoseDined on 10/17/2014Loved the space. Potato chips were outstanding. And my lobster roll and"Tater Tots" were to die for.Special Features:
- Hip place for a business lunchFisdoytDined on 10/17/2014Located in the heart of SOMA, Anchor & Hope is not a bad place for lunch. With brick/concrete floor and wals it can get a bit loud/ but the noise also offers a veil of privacy. Though it was packed Friday lunch time I couldn't even hear anyone else's conversation. The food? Meh it's good- it works but it's expensive for the quality. Be prepared to spend around 20 for a medium chicken salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and Delicious seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/17/2014Best menu of oysters around. Food is fresh, fun and delicious. Service is great--only downside is you need a reservation and it gets noisy.Special Features:
- Great find!!!Love2eatDined on 10/14/2014Working at Moscone, found this place on OpenTable! It was great! Good food, excellent service! A bit loud (the acoustics are a bit tough for a high ceiling,brick room) but all around, very nice for our party of 6. Would love a full bar, but not a deal breaker...will recommend and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a business lunchPluskoDined on 10/10/2014A little on the expensive side but a nice hip place for a business lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Beer was amazingly delicious. Great for business dinnersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceThrashVIPDined on 10/4/2014We arrived 15 minutes early for our reservation, checked in and were promptly seated. We then waited 15+ minutes for the waitress to arrive to take our order. After another 15 minutes, we were still waiting for our drinks to arrive. With our waitress nowhere in sight, we informed the hostess that we were leaving. After being at the restaurant for over 30 minutes and still waiting for our drinks, it was clear that it would be a very long time before our meal entered the picture. We were very disappointed with the experience.
- MehDahoVIPDined on 10/3/2014The service was terrible. The food was below average. It was very hot in the restaurant. I have been to this restaurant a number of times and the last couple of times has been noticeably poorer than it has been. There are plenty of terrific restaurants in San Francisco, so I will not be returning to this one.
- Good food, pretty good service.idkmybffevaVIPDined on 9/30/2014Their dishes were unique and delicious but we did feel a bit rushed throughout the entire experience. I feel we didn't have time to just enjoy ourselves. It was an eat and leave experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveeggsDined on 9/28/2014$240 incl tip for dinner for three with 4 glasses of wine at a casual restaurant next to a huge construction site is too much, even in San Francisco. Not worth it.
- alrightamandaDined on 9/28/2014We had a grear waiter, but they messed up our order and I don't think the good satisfied my personal platter. I also felt like the meal was a little overpriced. Everything in there was nicely decorated and looked really nice.Special Features:
- Seafood & BrewsfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Warm and attentive service in this low key restaurant. Great craft beer list and good selection of interesting wines by the glass that pair well with the food. Seafood and vegetables are fresh and not your usual run of the mill seafood combinations. Booked restaurant for my father's birthday and everyone from the booking manager to all of the servers came by to wish him well. My husband ordered the Belgian quad for a dessert drink for my dad and the restaurant comped that as well as a lovely dessert with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate and a candle. They didn't rush us out of the restaurant after we finished, which was nice. Thanked us again for coming on our way out. They couldn't have done anything better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceMarieVIPDined on 9/26/2014I was able to change my dinner time & add another person to my group. Very busy Friday evening. Manager was able to accommodate my needs to my anniversary dinner & made us all very happy. We are from Orange County & it was my husband's first visit. He loved it! Thank you Anchor & Hope. See you soon.Special Features:
- Special OccasionsMichelleDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant continues to be my favorite special occasion spot. The food is great and the service is so friendly and professional. I took my boyfriend here for our one year anniversary and we had the best night!! Thank you :)Special Features:
- Great Food but Service FailsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food selection was nice and our dinner was very good. This is a fun off-the-Wharf location for seafood. The only downside was the lack of service. The only way we could get service was asking one of the bus boys for help. Our server never checked on us and was inattentive. For a meal that was over $60 per person (no alcohol), we expected much better. There are many options in San Francisco for great seafood, but due to the lack of service we will not return to Anchor and Hope.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurant!MW4502VIPDined on 9/19/2014From the moment we were greeted at the door, Anchor and Hope was a great experience. Chris was attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Food was fabulous. Oysters - yum! Pork belly, octopus, beet appetizer - double yum!! We shared trout and a lobster roll - both excellent. Dessert was best panna cotta ever. Definitely a winner.Special Features:
- Disappointing visitNiktaVIPDined on 9/19/2014I was part of a group for a business lunch. We mentioned we were running late when we arrived, our food still took nearly 30 minutes to come out of the kitchen. Even if we weren't wasn't in a hurry, that would be far too long to wait at lunch. Then, to top it off, one of my guests found a hair in the coleslaw that came with his (not inexpensive) lobster roll. I've been to Anchor and Hope a number times before, butI never found it to be it so loud. We all had to lean in to be heard over the din of the restaurant (there were only four of us). If you go, I would recommend not going right at noon. Overall, a very, very disappointing visit. Especially when you're hosting clients for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor servicestephsfDined on 9/13/2014We felt neglected by wait staff. The food was good though. With a little more attention I'd rate this spot four stars.Special Features:
- Bright and sunnysaffafoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014I love having lunch at Anchor and Hope. The ambiance and light is normally bright during the day and the space feels large and relaxing. Service is good. Food is always consistent.Special Features:
- I Love This Place!Food4thoughtVIPDined on 9/4/2014I love the host and wait staff, and I have never had a bad meal. If you love fish, you will love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors and Well ExecutedAndrewTDined on 9/3/2014This was my third trip and I would continue repeating because the service has been outstanding and the food is always exciting. I would highly recommend Anchor & Hope to anyone who is looking for seafood where the freshness of the seafood is the center point. All the flavors that the kitchen produces work to highlight that freshness. Great choice for bringing out of town guests who crave a coastal seafood experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anchor & HopewingjVIPDined on 9/3/2014We haven't been back for quite a while & am glad that we picked this place to meet for lunch last week - both of us enjoyed it! For sure will visit more often....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ServiceSFSweetheartVIPDined on 9/3/2014Great place to do business in fun, light, and quiet enough atmosphere. Service is great, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal and speedy serviceGelenDined on 8/31/2014My partner and I ate here and it is a good dining experience but nothing amazing. Food is nice and service great... But did feel like they were rushing us through. Pretty good value for money but we had better meals elsewhere in San Fran.Special Features: