Anchor and Hope
83 Minna Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Anchor and Hope
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.anchorandhopesf.com/
- Phone: 4155019100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Vernon Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Anchor and Hope
From the owners of Town Hall and Salt House comes Anchor & Hope Restaurant, an oyster bar and fish house located at 83 Minna Street. Housed in a renovated, 100 year old brick building, formerly the studio of sculptor Benny Bufano, Anchor & Hope offers the warmth of an Eastern Seaboard fish house with dishes such as warm sea urchin served in the shell, our lobster roll, and petrale sole…and yes, there are dishes for those who fear the sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Anchor and Hope reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (110)neighborhood gem (80)good for groups (66)great for lunch (66)special occasion (52)hot spot (51)notable wine list (32)romantic (27)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (12)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nice ambianceHannahDined on 8/28/2014We had a great dinner with friends there. Cocktails are original. Dishes are made with fresh products.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great clam chowderOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014I wasn't feeling very hungry that evening so I ordered the clam chowder and the halibut Sashimi. Clam chowder was very good, but the halibut was not much to my liking. Outside the restaurant was a little deceiving but the inside had a nice decor and a great ambience. I definitely would attend again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousnaparoseVIPDined on 8/27/2014Great menu and wonderful seafood. Very energetic place!Special Features:
- enjoyable all aroundSF0772VIPDined on 8/25/2014great restaurant, seafood and services are amazing - perfect near convention center:)Special Features:
- Great Food, Okay ServiceMAJTimDined on 8/20/2014Food was delicious and fresh. The Happy Hour raw oysters were a great value. Food came out quickly but their wait staff is short handed. Took forever to place an order and to get the check after requesting it from four different individuals. Restaurant is off the beaten path and is still a good find to celebrate special occasions. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/18/2014The food is delicious-- especially the oysters. They have several oysters to choose from and the staff is very knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific fishTastyTexansDined on 8/17/2014I wish i knew how to cook fish the way Anchor and Hope does. Terrific wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014The food was amazing.. the potato chips alone are almost worth going. We shared three appetizers/small plates - calamari, salmon tartare, and summer squash. Everything was a unique mix of flavors that was amazing. Server was very nice, but slow. Didn't seem that busy or any reason for the slow service. Huge beer selection, no liquor, decent selection of wines. Cool ambiance. Would recommend, would return.Special Features:
- Best seafood in the city!Champers415Dined on 8/15/2014An excellent meal with top notch service. So many yummy oysters we had to splurge for a nice bottle of champagne to pair them with. Our waiter was amazing and helped us pick out the perfect bottle of wine. A romantic date spot and a wonderful place to meet friends after work. We will definitely be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ATL in SFFoodInMotionDined on 8/14/2014Nice find. Great service. Much better inside than the outside suggests.Special Features:
- disappointedOL2HVIPDined on 8/13/2014We visit A&H frequently and on this occasion were disappointed. The trout, one of our favorites, was woefully underdone (unlike salmon, trout doesn't normally make a good sashimi !) and the moules frites was served without even the offer of bread. Any Frenchman would be horrified! Sorry to see one of our neighborhood staples slip. Meanwhile, the beer selection remains outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JigathaDined on 8/4/2014The restaurant has a seafood centric menu so for groups I typically confirm their food preferences before dinining here. There are wide ranging options from their raw bar to their small plates that seem to please every palate. The lobster roll is always a hit, it's delicious and manageable to eat. Good wiine list and beer selection and prices are reasonable. It has a good neighborhood vibe and wonderful service, always.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantSj22Dined on 8/2/2014Great seafood, inventive cocktails and nice ambiance. The restaurant is a little loud (but not really different than any other SF place). Our waitress was excellent at recommending food and drinks. All the beers and cocktails we had were excellent. The food was so tasty including the mussels, salmon, lobster roll and rockfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DsigningwnVIPDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful dinner! Always top notch for food, wine, service. The kushi oysters were SO good. We'll be back frequently.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Great food, great place to meet for lunch. Great beer selection -- love that they have locals like Linden Street Brewery.
- IreneDined on 7/31/2014The place was great good food ambiance great wait staff wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Delivers as expectedbuzzlightDined on 7/30/2014I had a group of 7 for a business dinner and our experience was fine. We were seated at a nice round table in the middle of the restaurant. Service staff were quick, polite, and accommodating. The selection of craft beers and even mead was a pleasant surprise. The wine list was decent too. Food was as expected - i.e., good to great depending on what you ordered. Lobster rolls liked very much like the East coast variety (and good). I myself had a halibut dish that was very good.Special Features:
- poppascottDined on 7/25/2014Cool spot. Love the street and hood. Outstanding service. Pricey but quite good.Special Features:
- Always solidOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Always great food, service and atmosphere. Fairly easy to get a reservation for the desired date using OpenTable. One downside is some of the prices seem out of line like fish and chips for $24 and a lemonade for $5 and a can of Diet Coke for $4. While the crab sandwich will only rub you $17. It's always a treat to eat at Anchor and Hope though. John Mayer was eating near us a few months back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LellaVIPDined on 7/24/2014Having told a friend about something's in the menu got there and it had changed and not one thing I loved was not on it. However what did order was good, the moules frites and heirloom tomatoes salad was delicious, had the halibut crude with squid ink. Not our taste, for us too much squid it and lacking in flavour, did sprinkle a little salt giving some seasoning, but not my favourite. They were very good about it.Special Features:
- Great SF Seafood HouseFresh2tableDined on 7/24/2014Loved the casual atmosphere with spectacular service and authentic fishing village decor with a modern spin. We enjoyed the raw bar, tartar appetizers and mussels with fritsSpecial Features:
- 22 minute wait for my tableGSWolfDined on 7/23/2014I had reservations set for 7:30 pm but got seated at 7:52. Food wasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food with great serviceAandJBDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant is very spacious with high ceilings so the ambiance is very pleasant whilst keeping the noise level down. We were seated quickly and our waiter was immediately attentive with useful recommendations on the specials and the menu. His knowledge of the menu was impressive with insights into ingredients and taste. The menu choices and portion sizes were just right and the food was served promptly and the taste was wonderful. Overall a very memorable evening and would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerMarinerbyrneDined on 7/16/2014Was just in town for my birthday and wanted some good seafood, this place did more than satisfy the craving. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencerpf27VIPDined on 7/16/2014This was my first time at Anchor and Hope and it was a very good time. I had 30 minutes at the bar before my friend joined me and the bartender could not have been more helpful. I appreciated the cask conditioned ale but decided to go with a red wine. He helped me choose just the right one. Kudos. Dinner itself was terrific. We both choose the clam chowder and the fish and chips. The chowder was good not great. (Hog Island has the best, for my money.). The fish and chips was notable for the absolutely delicious whitefish with good batter. The chips were just OK. Overall, I liked A&H and will be back again.Special Features:
- Tammie Knight Consultingtkloves2dineoutVIPDined on 7/14/2014Anchor & Hope NEVER disappoints. For over 9 years, it has been one of my absolute favorite restaurants in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backLiv4foodVIPDined on 7/13/2014Loved our dinner here. Excellent seafood both in appetizers and entrees. All courses were delicious and the waiters recommendations were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting San FranciscojfromnjDined on 7/13/2014Our hotel recommended this restaurant highly and I, for the most part, agree. We went for dinner on a Sunday night and found the food to be very good and the service to be very attentive. When I asked to drop an ingredient from my meal, it was done willingly. The room was about half full of diners who all seemed to be having fun. The noise level was a bit high and we thought the price was a bit steep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014The menu at the restaurant was very limited. The website showed many more optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OYSTERS!Giantsfans123Dined on 7/12/2014We went in for a romantic dinner and came out with a belly full of fresh seafood. They started us off with some of their house made potato chips, which were perfectly crispy and seasoned. Next we ordered a half dozen of the cheapest oysters, which were from WA. They were so sweet and so fresh that we ordered 6 more. We also indulged in the halibut sashimi which is drenched in rich squid ink and garnished with some roasted brusel sprout leaves and cherry tomato confit. We were completely satisfied with just that amount of food. The ambiance and staff are amazing, which made the experience just that much better. Props to you Anchor & Hope!Special Features:
- Great oysters!pfoxsfVIPDined on 7/12/20142nd time at Anchor and Hope - food great as usual. Odd experience - we start with one server and then about 30 minutes into our meal the 'shift' changes - same thing happened last time. Both servers were good but just odd to switch gears like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VP of SalesLakeshowDined on 7/9/2014Really liked the energy, the service and food. Good job with the ambiance even though there is big construction going on. They did not have my table ready when we got there but we worked it out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- family favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/7/2014A&H is one of our go-to places. Our kids love it; there's something for everyone, as long as they like fish. the complimentary chips are a really nice touch. service is a always great, food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bagcod188Dined on 7/7/2014Staff was knowledgeable, helpful and very attentive service; nice menu options and wine list; oysters were great (I think I noticed they have an oyster h.h. deal); entrees were tastee, unfortunately most were a bit over-cooked. Based on other reviews, I will likely try again next time I'm in SFO.Special Features:
- the good and the badOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2014Great seafood, but a tad over-priced with portions a little too small.Special Features:
- Hard to beat this seafoodnlrmvlVIPDined on 7/2/2014I have been to Anchor and Hope about 6 times and each time I am impressed with the quality, taste and presentation of the seafood dishes. Also each time I have been impressed by the waiters, bar tenders and hosts. This place is run by restaurant pros. If they warmed up the interior with some noise reduction and perhaps more texture and color I would give it 5 stars. I great meal and at very fair prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A discoverycitygirlVIPDined on 6/30/2014I found Anchor & Hope while wandering around San Francisco on a beautiful late June afternoon. Tucked away next to a construction site on Minna Lane, its very location and ambience intrigued me. I decided to stop by for a drink that night. Danny, the manager, convinced me to try a selection from the "vermouth program" he'd devised and my choice -- a Cardomara (with cardamon) -- was indeed delicious. The slow addition of Fever Tree tonic made for a very pleasing hour at the bar. I really enjoyed listening to Danny's vivid descriptions of various wines, and the cultures, from which they come. I returned for dinner the next night, with a friend. It was delightful. I had Rockfish with a squid ink risotto...another wonderful discovery.Special Features:
- another great dinnerbmwfanDined on 6/29/2014just had a another great dinner - awesome service as well.Special Features:
- Saturday night dinnerSFdinerDined on 6/28/2014The food was underwhelming, a bit too greasy and oily, but the service of the hostess, the waiter, as well the service/bus boy was very good.Special Features:
- The concierge was right!WeiswomanDined on 6/26/2014Asked our marriott concierge for a rec on a good place to go with 10 colleagues. This restaurant was an excellent choice on all fronts: location, ambiance, staff friendliness. The red spotted trout was OFF THE CHARTS delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.