39 Elm St
Westfield, NJ 07090Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amusenj.com/
- Phone: (908) 317-2640
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: C.J. Reycraft, Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Amuse
A new French restaurant in Westfield, NJContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Amuse - Best Restaurants in Westfield ›
Amuse reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (47)romantic (30)great for outdoor dining (22)great for lunch (19)good for groups (15)hot spot (14)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wonderful additionLuvtoeatDined on 11/16/2014We ate there on Sunday evening and the service was excellent. We were welcome graciously and seated immediately. The food was excellent. I had the filet mignon which was tender and delicious. My husband had the Halibut and my daughter had the mussels . We enjoyed everything. So glad this restaurant has come to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014Great experience at this relatively new restaurant. We had a reservation for 8:30, were seated a tad bit late, but the owner brought us appetizers and we opened our wine as we waited. The food was superb, the risotto perhaps the best i have ever had, and the bass was amazing. A complimentary dessert was a nice touch to end the evening at this very nice and quaint byob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful bistro in WestfieldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We dined here on a Friday night. The amuse bouche was a date stuffed with blue cheese and maple praline bacon, a bite that left me wanting another, and another... We had the steak tartare and the risotto special for apps. The binder for the tartare was a little too creamy for me and the risotto a little too spicy - but that reflects personal preference as they both very good. I had the roast chicken, wonderfully cooked and perfect for a cold night. The flavors on the plate were just right. The sage bead pudding on the plate was a bit too dry, the only thing I found lacking. He had the duck, which was obviously wonderful as his plate was cleaned before I could ask for a taste. The special's menu was great, wild boar, venison - creative and perfect game specials for the season. Dessert was also enjoyed, great chocolate tart and butterscotch pudding. I wish the pudding was warm, but again, just a preference of my own. I felt the cost was on point with quality and I had food leftover on all of my own plates, so portion size was more than adequate as well. I left entirely full. Our server was great. She was attentive and very pleasant without being intrusive. The chef stopped by and we chatted about the restaurant, the menu, etc. A great night out all around. I can't wait to go again with friends and would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014The appetizers were great but my steak was overcooked. Medium rare came out almost well done and it ruined what started out as an excellent meal. There was quite a wait to sit as well. A few minutes turned into a half hour wait for a table for two. Also, they could add some ambient music. I would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting even better...Wineguy7Dined on 11/14/2014Always competent in the fine points of French cuisine, this bistro has kicked it up a notch or two on the creativity scale. It's one thing to enjoy impeccably prepared duck confit, but many of the items on the specials list now display the imaginative talent lurking in the kitchen. Bravo; yet another reason to keep coming back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantElizabethDined on 11/11/2014Nice menu - Good raw materials - Good meals - quietI would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular May have it's down sideWestfriendDined on 11/9/2014Amuse is a welcome addition to the Westfield restaurant scene. We have loved it every time we have been there. However, this visit was the first time the restaurant was really filled. We found the service to be very slow, perhaps due to the kitchen's inability to deal with a full house. We waited for our meal for so long, eating bread and finishing our wine, that we virtually have no appetite once the food came. The food was wonderful, but we brought home more than half of it. We recommend enjoying Amuse on a weekday.Special Features:
- Dinner experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014Attentive service and nice atmosphere. Food was okay but nothing that has me wanting to return. My experience with their lunch was much better.Special Features:
- Amuse - as Good As It GetsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/8/2014Amuse is our favorite restaurant outside of the outrageously expensive NYC powerhouses. They're French Bistro-style, but with a high-end flair. Their chef used to be the Chef de Cuisine at NJ's best French restaurant and he brings that experience to Amuse. We started with an amuse of foie gras on a brioche, moved onto seared foie gras, tart Alsace and a spectacular steak tartar. I had some amazing rack of wild boar, and finished with a pomegranate souffle. It's BYO, and they recommend CoolVines, which is right around the corner, where we picked up a red bubbly, an amazing burgundy and an Italian sweet wine to finish it off. I know great food when I taste it, and I tasted it. It's great for a casual lunch or dinner out, as well celebrating.Special Features:
- Amuse not amusingKFoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014Waitress brought wrong order…she was more interested in socializing than attending to our table. Our 8:15 reservation turned into an 8:50 seating. The host was a young man who seemed confused. My husband's frites were greasy and soggy and my mussels were tough. For $14. the caesar salad was very small and nothing special. My experiences for the 4 times I have eaten here were very good. This time was very disappointing. We won't be back for a long time.Special Features:
- ResimartiniDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful evening and the food was deliciously prepared!Special Features:
- A French Food StopBertVIPDined on 10/29/2014I met a friend for lunch. We passed on the appetizers and entrees and settled for sandwiches. I had the Croque Madame. It was a single slice of bread topped with ham, cheese, a sunny side egg on top with honey mustard. I chose the fries instead of the salad. They were plentiful and crisp. My decaf coffee was from a press and it was delicious. Too full for dessert. The waitress and manager were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the foodSamDDined on 10/27/2014This was our first time here, and we tried out an appetizer as well as the prix fixe menu. Everything we had was delightful - flavorful, seasoned well and cooked to perfection! A definite repeat!Special Features:
- Very nice brunchtdecisionsDined on 10/26/2014French brunch was delicious and offered a wide variety. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- R & R Berloweewolreb81Dined on 10/24/2014The food is wonderful and the service is very professional and the overall dining experience has been consistently great all three times we have eaten at" Amuse"Special Features:
- Nice ExperiencelincolnDined on 10/20/2014We went to Amuse for our wedding anniversary, and the experience was good. Service was good, and everyone was friendly, however, one of the bus boy was a bit too good at his job that made me feel uncomfortable, as he rushes to take our empty plates the moment we finished, which made me feel as if I'm being rushed. The food is good, but missing the wow factor, so I was only able to give it a 4 out of 5 stars. Overall, it's a place I would visit again from time to time.Special Features:
- Food is spectacularlaynefhVIPDined on 10/18/2014One can tell that the chef owner was trained in France, the food is remarkable in its flavor combinations, appearance, and care of preparation. BYOB is always a plus. We hope the owners can improve the skill of the wait staff to match the skill from the kitchen (exempting the wait staff leader who is quite skilled). But go, one does not see this level of food contemplation and preparation every day, even in the greater NYC area. You'll be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't live up to promiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Very nice menu and the chef owner has a good pedigree - I was hopeful for a great meal among the mediocre fine dining choices in the area. It was just okay. Three people tried several dishes and none was a stand out - presentation a little nicer than flavor. Service was attention and relaxed atmosphere on a weekday evening.
- deliciousAlyssaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Scallops are phenomenal! Like dessert. Duck was cooked to perfection. Will be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't wait to leaveJayWVIPDined on 10/9/2014Atmosphere not conducive to upscale dining. Shared frisee salad; not generous for the price. Mussels for main course arrived lukewarm; very small portion as main course. Diners who were leaving stopped to talk to the diners at table behind us and proceeded for a very long time to have loud discussion such that we could no longer talk to each other or enjoy our meal. We asked our server if she could have the manager suggest to them that they have the conversation elsewhere or at least tone it down. She suggested that we could move. The manager did nothing to help solve the problem or even apologize to us. We left after the main course and spoke to the manager on the way out. He had nothing to say and was less than charming.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/20141st visit was lack-luster, sadly. Had heard so much and read so much that I was expecting to be blown away by the food. 3 of us dined on a Sunday night and 2 of our 3 said we need not come back. Food was just okay. Reastaurant was loud. Observed what appeared to be an over abundance of management (3), but it seemed odd that they appeared to be selective about which tables they approached during the meals to greet and check in on things. Was hoping that Amuse would be as good as I had heard. Disappointing.
- Better than expected!DebDonDined on 10/4/2014Went this past Saturday. Arrived 15 minutes earlier than our reservation and was seated right away. Staff and waitress were very good and on top of things. My husband had the calf liver special which he said was the best he has ever had. I had the duck breast and I can say the same. I also had the foie gras as an appetizer, which was done differently with marshmallows and chocolate (not my taste) but the foie gras melted in your mouth. This was as good as any top restaurant I have had dinner at in Manhattan. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be advertised moreMeFoodieDined on 10/1/2014Food was absolutely delicious. We took a chance going in, as we hadn't heard of it before. They should advertise more widely because everyone should taste their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DO NOT GOJERSEYGIRLVIPDined on 9/30/2014Amuse was NOT amusing or enjoyable. The food was - blah. Little taste. At least half of the mussels didn't even open. The saffron sauce was bland, bland, bland. The dessert profiteroles were small, unassuming and utterly unremarkable - neither my date nor I even bothered beyond the first bite. Not worth the calories. The service motto must be "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." I think we saw the waiter three times all evening - to take our order, to bring the food, to bring the bill. We weren't even asked if we wanted coffee or if everything was all right. AND this when the restaurant was more than half empty. The decor was uninspiring - more apt for a coffee shop. No reason to go. Every reason to stay home.
- Good but not greatPaulo1310Dined on 9/30/2014I had a previous experience at lunch time which was great. Was it because the restaurant was not as busy as it was last evening, I assume so, but this time the experience was not as good. The waiters were in a hurry and were somehow lousy. I was expecting a quiet and peaceful dinner while it was rather hectic. The food was not that great even though it was above average. The price though is reasonable as there is no wine list (BYOB). I recommend this restaurant for lunch rather than dinner if you expect a nice ambiance.Special Features:
- PV104Dined on 9/29/2014Very good food, and great service! It was my second time at the restaurant. It has been great both times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greattime2dineVIPDined on 9/28/2014Love the French music and dining outside. Great service. Great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food and serviceRWT123Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Amuse for our 10th anniversary. We could not have been more happy. Since the portion sizes are very manageable we ordered 4 appitizers 2 main dishes and 2 desserts. All the food was excellent, the standouts were the fioe gras, the prosciutto tart, smoked trout salad and the Mangalista pork chop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabuloussaraspfdDined on 9/26/2014The food, service, ambience, all around a great experience! Will definitely go back and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and service!I8outDined on 9/23/2014It was my first time there; we loved both the food and service. The decors was simple, modern and clean. The staff was welcoming and attentive in a casual feeling atmosphere. We arrived on the first day of the new fall menu, which offered a limited yet adequate list of choices. The butternut squash soup was rich, filling and delicious. My crispy chicken was perfectly done along with a yummy sage stuffing cake and cauliflower purée. My son loved his soup and duck entre. We shared the rich but perfect pomegranate soufflé. I look forward to future meals there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amuse-nice dining experienceeasydiningDined on 9/20/2014My date and I had dinner for the first time at Amuse on Saturday 9/20/14. The food was excellent as well as the service. I had been meaning to check the restaurant out, it had good reviews in NJ Monthly. I'm glad I did! Would recommend. Audrey 9/22/14Special Features:
- I was re-AmusedRatikiVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit to Amuse and I continue to think it is a very nice place. My wife and I brought another couple with us this time. I would suggest they look into some sound treatment for the walls. As the night proceeded, and more patrons filled the dining room, it got noisy and hard to hear our friends across the table. That would not stop me from returning to this really nice addition to the Westfield restaurant scene.
- Amuse First TimerFoodieNdaMakingDined on 9/20/2014I made reservations at Amuse for my Wife's birthday and was very happy with the selection. The staff was very friendly and attentive and the food was excellent and reasonably priced. The only surprise we encountered was that they do not serve alcohol, however they do allow you to bring outside beverages, which considering the price of wine in restaurants these days isn't that bad. So remember to bring your own bubbly. I would highly recommend Amuse and I'm looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Great French RestaurantjcblackDined on 9/16/2014Pleasantly surprised by this fairly new (8 months) restaurant in Westfield. Centrally located. Owned by a former chef of another local French restaurant. You will not be disappointed by anything. The food, ambiance, service, personal attention were all exemplary. I saw a customer who had a concern about the way her food was cooked, and the owner took it away and replaced it. After the meal, she raved to the staff about the food. Everyone has different tastes and it is nice to know that you will be treated so respectfully. GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYOB in WestfieldFoodieInPlainfieldVIPDined on 9/12/2014Although well presented and an interesting menu the service overshadowed the highlights of the food. Our plates were touched and removed before we were asked if we had finished, only to leave us waiting 15 minutes for the dessert. Please tell your busboys to ASK if the customer is finished BEFORE touching their plates. The Mussels were in a delicious broth but the frites were just ok. The scallops were very good as was the foie gras. If only the waiter serving us had used his instincts rather than his training, we would've had a great meal. We felt rushed the whole time even though the restaurant was empty at 9pm and noticed he kept signaling and telling the busboys to check to see if we were finished.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Amuse had excellent food, great service and a stylish but cozy atmosphere. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestDottitVIPDined on 8/30/2014One of the best restaurants we've ever patronized. What a pleasant surprise to discover Amuse. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- New and classickjdmdVIPDined on 8/24/2014This restaurant is a newcomer to "restaurant row" in Westfield at the location of the old Isabella's. This was our first visit, and it was inspired by a special Groupon deal which gave us a limited fixed-price menu. However, we might well have ordered the same dishes from the regular menu. My mussels and fries were excellent, as was my wife's grouper. Desserts were first rate.Special Features:
- Great FoodTbugzDined on 8/24/2014I have been to Amuse serveral times for brunch and dinner and have NEVER been disappointed. The freshness of ingredients, quality of the food, and balance of every dish make this place a stand out and a must hit for everyone who knows and enjoys good food! IMHO - the burger on the brunch menu is the best burger I have ever had. (Short rib really does offer a fantastic meat/fat ratio - no ketchup required, but dont forget the bacon and carmelized onions)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnnyCalDined on 8/21/2014We had the prix fixe menu and it was fantastic. We both had the escargot and the fish and the desert was also great!Special Features: