39 Elm St
Westfield, NJ 07090Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amusenj.com/
- Phone: 9083172640
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: C.J. Reycraft, Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Amuse
A new French restaurant in Westfield, NJContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Amuse - Best Restaurants in Westfield ›
Amuse reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (60)special occasion (48)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (29)great for lunch (17)hot spot (15)good for groups (15)great for brunch (11)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Exceptional food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Amuse for our 10th anniversary. We could not have been more happy. Since the portion sizes are very manageable we ordered 4 appitizers 2 main dishes and 2 desserts. All the food was excellent, the standouts were the fioe gras, the prosciutto tart, smoked trout salad and the Mangalista pork chop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabuloussaraspfdDined on 9/26/2014The food, service, ambience, all around a great experience! Will definitely go back and recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and service!I8outDined on 9/23/2014It was my first time there; we loved both the food and service. The decors was simple, modern and clean. The staff was welcoming and attentive in a casual feeling atmosphere. We arrived on the first day of the new fall menu, which offered a limited yet adequate list of choices. The butternut squash soup was rich, filling and delicious. My crispy chicken was perfectly done along with a yummy sage stuffing cake and cauliflower purée. My son loved his soup and duck entre. We shared the rich but perfect pomegranate soufflé. I look forward to future meals there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amuse-nice dining experienceeasydiningDined on 9/20/2014My date and I had dinner for the first time at Amuse on Saturday 9/20/14. The food was excellent as well as the service. I had been meaning to check the restaurant out, it had good reviews in NJ Monthly. I'm glad I did! Would recommend. Audrey 9/22/14Special Features:
- I was re-AmusedRatikiVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit to Amuse and I continue to think it is a very nice place. My wife and I brought another couple with us this time. I would suggest they look into some sound treatment for the walls. As the night proceeded, and more patrons filled the dining room, it got noisy and hard to hear our friends across the table. That would not stop me from returning to this really nice addition to the Westfield restaurant scene.
- Amuse First TimerFoodieNdaMakingDined on 9/20/2014I made reservations at Amuse for my Wife's birthday and was very happy with the selection. The staff was very friendly and attentive and the food was excellent and reasonably priced. The only surprise we encountered was that they do not serve alcohol, however they do allow you to bring outside beverages, which considering the price of wine in restaurants these days isn't that bad. So remember to bring your own bubbly. I would highly recommend Amuse and I'm looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Great French RestaurantjcblackDined on 9/16/2014Pleasantly surprised by this fairly new (8 months) restaurant in Westfield. Centrally located. Owned by a former chef of another local French restaurant. You will not be disappointed by anything. The food, ambiance, service, personal attention were all exemplary. I saw a customer who had a concern about the way her food was cooked, and the owner took it away and replaced it. After the meal, she raved to the staff about the food. Everyone has different tastes and it is nice to know that you will be treated so respectfully. GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYOB in WestfieldFoodieInPlainfieldVIPDined on 9/12/2014Although well presented and an interesting menu the service overshadowed the highlights of the food. Our plates were touched and removed before we were asked if we had finished, only to leave us waiting 15 minutes for the dessert. Please tell your busboys to ASK if the customer is finished BEFORE touching their plates. The Mussels were in a delicious broth but the frites were just ok. The scallops were very good as was the foie gras. If only the waiter serving us had used his instincts rather than his training, we would've had a great meal. We felt rushed the whole time even though the restaurant was empty at 9pm and noticed he kept signaling and telling the busboys to check to see if we were finished.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Amuse had excellent food, great service and a stylish but cozy atmosphere. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestDottitVIPDined on 8/30/2014One of the best restaurants we've ever patronized. What a pleasant surprise to discover Amuse. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- New and classickjdmdVIPDined on 8/24/2014This restaurant is a newcomer to "restaurant row" in Westfield at the location of the old Isabella's. This was our first visit, and it was inspired by a special Groupon deal which gave us a limited fixed-price menu. However, we might well have ordered the same dishes from the regular menu. My mussels and fries were excellent, as was my wife's grouper. Desserts were first rate.Special Features:
- Great FoodTbugzDined on 8/24/2014I have been to Amuse serveral times for brunch and dinner and have NEVER been disappointed. The freshness of ingredients, quality of the food, and balance of every dish make this place a stand out and a must hit for everyone who knows and enjoys good food! IMHO - the burger on the brunch menu is the best burger I have ever had. (Short rib really does offer a fantastic meat/fat ratio - no ketchup required, but dont forget the bacon and carmelized onions)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnnyCalDined on 8/21/2014We had the prix fixe menu and it was fantastic. We both had the escargot and the fish and the desert was also great!Special Features:
- Amuse D'Lish!LunchPRDined on 8/20/2014There has never been anything I have ordered at Amuse that I didn't think was just the most delicious thing I have ever eaten. I had the Moules Frites and it was garlicy and yummy. The mussels themselves were so fresh and delicate I ate the entire bowl without hesitation. If given the opportunity - get the LEMON TART. I dont normally enjoy lemon desserts - this one is crave-able!Special Features:
- Best French Spot outside of NYCRingo68Dined on 8/19/2014My fiancé and I went here for a dinner date after happening upon the place for lunch last summer. It's byob, so we were able to bring a bottle of champagne and enjoy without breaking the bank. We started with the special ravioli app and what a great start it was. I had the duck breast and my fiancé had the mussels, both off the regular menu. The duck was so tender and juicy and the mussel broth was amazing. We practically drank it like milk. Our server was sweet. I didn't catch her name, but she was honest with her recommendations, attentive and very friendly. We finished with a latte and a small cheese plate, which was good. My only complaint is they didn't offer creme brulee for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why a trip across the HudsonDennisKDined on 8/19/2014Don't understand why folks believe they must travel to NYC to have an excellent dining experience. My wife and I would rate Amuse among the better restaurant experiences we have enjoyed. Let's see: wait staff and service A; food A; décor and ambiance A; overall professionalism A. As a BYOB, these folks know how to treat the wine you bring with care, even decant it. We complimented the manager on the way out since it was clear she knew her stuff.Special Features:
- DisappointingEnjoygoodfoodDined on 8/17/2014Wife chose Amuse because she loves French food and we wanted something different and special for our anniversary. The soup and salad were fine. However, we found the risotto to have a "starchy, over cooked" texture. It was difficult to find enough lobster to justify the $32 price tag. The waitress was apologetic but we were not offered a replacement dish until we were finished with our entrees. Fortunately the Steak Frites was more than adequate and we shared that . The Nespresso coffee was delicious. We enjoyed dessert. A 7pm reservation found the restaurant to be "out of bread". Sorry we judge a restaurant by the quality of its bread. This is NJ, quality bakeries abound. Running to Stop & Shop was a nice try but not at these prices.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Priced like a classy French restaurant but it is everything but. The escargot was dry and chewy and served on a plate, vs the typical French way. Both my wife's steak and my grouper were over-cooked.
- Just as great the second time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014Came for a second time and food was just as good as our first. Staff attentive, specials great, and bring your own! Lovely and will be back again. Hint: Save room and order the souffle!Special Features:
- Awesome!LGSLDined on 8/13/2014The food was wonderful, the service exquisite. I had a chilled lobster bisque, my husband the mixed green salad and both were out of this world. The mussels had just the right spice level, the chicken tasty and moist, with a wonderful crispy skin. The desserts were just as good. It's BYOB so feel free to bring your own wine and they will handle, and serve it, with all the care and love good wine should get. We have a new favorite restaurant and will be back as often as we can. As an aside, we met Executive Chef C.J. at the local Savory Spice shop prior to going and he was nice and very cordial and gave us just the excuse we needed to go.Special Features:
- Great additionBDCaraDined on 8/8/2014Amuse provides an excellent ding option in a town that provides many choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spotFoodTravelerDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I went for lunch and the food was very good. I had the burger and my wife had the vegetable sandwich. She is a vegetarian so we wish there were more options for her other than the one sandwich. She was also a little disappointing in not being able to order the fries with her sandwich as they were cooked in duck fat although i had no problems with them. Overall the food and service were very good. I would return to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Amuse-ingTinaDined on 8/5/2014Amuse was a great place for lunch. The menu, while not extensive, is imaginative, and all the food my friend and I ate was top-notch. My first time there will not be my last.Special Features:
- Karen88Dined on 8/4/2014Lunch was just OK in my opinion. Two friends ordered the onion soup, and they raved about it. My salad with chicken was below my expectation. for the very high prices, I felt salad was not up to par. The chicken Caesar salad was spicy according to my friend and the server Torah forgot to bring a person's sandwich but friend never even bothered to ask for it because she was full after soup and salad, Bill was over $115 for three dor just lunch...too expensive, I would Ike to try the place for dinner, as I think it might be better,Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerFoodieDined on 8/3/2014Mixed green salad appetizer was ordinary. Poor variety of greens, mostly chicory, underdressed with little flavor. Entree of consisted of 4 small scallops swimming in an in reduced, unflavored brown butter sauce splashed around the plate. Greasy tiny portion of oversalted kale on plate. Wait person did not refill wine glasses. Slow evening. No excuse for poor service.
- a welcome additionannkreitVIPDined on 8/2/2014excellent dinner....wonderful menu, staff....a great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014New York prices, but not same quality, food inconsistent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/24/2014Dinner was average at best. Entress were way overpriced. Noise level was much much too high.
- Scallops very good. Nice ambienceNinibiniDined on 7/23/2014Mussels were a letdown. Dessert was nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, and won't be the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014Our first time at Amuse - been trying to go for awhile, but they are always booked, and now I know why! Food was excellent, started with Alsace tart. Mains were the steak and I had shrimp with scallops dish. The server asked us at the beginning if we wished to have the souffle for dessert as it would take 45 minutes - we agreed and for dessert followed up with the blood orange souffle which was excellent! BYOB with a pleasing decor. Food was excellent - service was okay.Special Features:
- Great againPerfectVIPDined on 7/18/2014This was our second trip and it did not disappoint. Food was great as was the service. It was a Friday night and not packed. The fish dishes were all good. Recommend the Grouper if they have it. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occassioncran4dfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Had a great time for birthday celebration. Service and food very good. Enjoyed the ravioli app and special swordfish dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceMarianDined on 7/18/2014This was our first visit to Amuse and we'll be back. Amuse is a nice addition to Westfield's restaurant scene. GREAT that you could bring your own wine. Our server was warm and attentive. We each ordered different appetizers, entrees and desserts and then shared tastes. The seared foie itself was great but the acid from the pineapple a bit overwhelmed the dish. The roasted beets were simple and tasty. While all our entrees were good our favorite was the risotto. The rice is perfectly cooked and the sauce is creamy with lovely garlic/basil flavoring and a nice amount of tender crab. We left enough room for blood-orange soufflés. It has a nice hint of citrus flavor and is served with vanilla ice cream and honey. The honey was a nice surprise!Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Food was F---- Amazing especially the seared Foie Gras( was so good I was forced to order two) the acidity from the pineapple gave it an excellent distinctive finish. Duck breast was delectable with the skin cooked the way it was meant to be with a slight crunch. Scallops another winner fresh and seared to perfection. Bone marrow, great flavor best I've ever tried. Don't forget to order the Blood Orange soufflé early which by the way was fabulous, the orange flavor carried very well from top to bottom. Service was superb, from the bus boy to the server which was very personableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return, hope food's less saltycarmarDined on 7/11/2014It was our first visit to Amuse. We looked forward to a good French meal. The service and ambiance was indeed outstanding. One appetizer (Onion Soup) and one entree (Steak au poivre) were oversalted and disappointing. Both dishes would have been wonderful without the excess salt. The other appetizer and entree were excellent and because of this, we will return in hopes that the heavy hand with the salt will lighten.
- What happened???bklyngeneDined on 7/8/2014When Amuse first opened, we dined there and were blown away by everything, from food to ambience. This last time, the food was just not as good as it should be given the caliber of the head chef. The salad was very good, but scallops in the entrée were small and mushy and my duck confit was not crunchy and the sauce was overpowering and too sweet. The staff is phenominal and they gave us a complimentary dessert for my wife’s birthday, but I don’t know if it is enough to win me over to be back again.
- Very good food and serviceTikibarBillDined on 7/7/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary, as did many other patrons, that night. Food was very good, albeit somewhat on the expensive side. Service was excellent, and our waitress was able to answer all of our questions without having to consult with the kitchen. Ambiance is modernly stark with nice wooden tables with no tablecloths. Overall, a very good night, and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service . . .nonnabeeDined on 7/3/2014Great decor and concept! Appealing menu choices and specials, knowledgeable and personable server. Booth better than table for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place in a familiar placePerfectVIPDined on 7/3/2014Amuse takes the place of a long time restaurant in Westfield, but with a much upgraded experience. With a French flare, it did not disappoint. Menu is small but covers all the essentials and everything was timely, hot, and really good. It's pricey but byo. Bring a nice bottle and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnieDined on 7/3/2014This was our first here with another couple. Wow - we loved it and can't wait to come back. Started off with duck liver amuse - it was so good, too bad it was just a bite! Gazpacho, risotto, beet salad and truffle ravioli aappetizers were all delicious. For entrees we had the red snapper, scallops, steak frites and duck breast. Both fish dishes were perfectly cooked and succulent. Likewise with the steak and duck. For dessert my friend pre-orderd the blood orange souffle - best dessert on the list! I did love my raspberry tart and the chocolate brownie tart was a keeper too. Service was on point. Our wine was well handled. Only drawback was the noise. When the place filled up it was a little loud. Great value for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.