39 Elm St
Westfield, NJ 07090Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amusenj.com/
- Phone: 9083172640
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: C.J. Reycraft, Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Amuse
A new French restaurant in Westfield, NJContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Amuse - Best Restaurants in Westfield ›
Amuse reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (61)special occasion (50)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (13)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (11)hot spot (10)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- New and classickjdmdVIPDined on 8/24/2014This restaurant is a newcomer to "restaurant row" in Westfield at the location of the old Isabella's. This was our first visit, and it was inspired by a special Groupon deal which gave us a limited fixed-price menu. However, we might well have ordered the same dishes from the regular menu. My mussels and fries were excellent, as was my wife's grouper. Desserts were first rate.Special Features:
- Great FoodTbugzDined on 8/24/2014I have been to Amuse serveral times for brunch and dinner and have NEVER been disappointed. The freshness of ingredients, quality of the food, and balance of every dish make this place a stand out and a must hit for everyone who knows and enjoys good food! IMHO - the burger on the brunch menu is the best burger I have ever had. (Short rib really does offer a fantastic meat/fat ratio - no ketchup required, but dont forget the bacon and carmelized onions)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnnyCalDined on 8/21/2014We had the prix fixe menu and it was fantastic. We both had the escargot and the fish and the desert was also great!Special Features:
- Amuse D'Lish!LunchPRDined on 8/20/2014There has never been anything I have ordered at Amuse that I didn't think was just the most delicious thing I have ever eaten. I had the Moules Frites and it was garlicy and yummy. The mussels themselves were so fresh and delicate I ate the entire bowl without hesitation. If given the opportunity - get the LEMON TART. I dont normally enjoy lemon desserts - this one is crave-able!Special Features:
- Best French Spot outside of NYCRingo68Dined on 8/19/2014My fiancé and I went here for a dinner date after happening upon the place for lunch last summer. It's byob, so we were able to bring a bottle of champagne and enjoy without breaking the bank. We started with the special ravioli app and what a great start it was. I had the duck breast and my fiancé had the mussels, both off the regular menu. The duck was so tender and juicy and the mussel broth was amazing. We practically drank it like milk. Our server was sweet. I didn't catch her name, but she was honest with her recommendations, attentive and very friendly. We finished with a latte and a small cheese plate, which was good. My only complaint is they didn't offer creme brulee for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why a trip across the HudsonDennisKDined on 8/19/2014Don't understand why folks believe they must travel to NYC to have an excellent dining experience. My wife and I would rate Amuse among the better restaurant experiences we have enjoyed. Let's see: wait staff and service A; food A; décor and ambiance A; overall professionalism A. As a BYOB, these folks know how to treat the wine you bring with care, even decant it. We complimented the manager on the way out since it was clear she knew her stuff.Special Features:
- DisappointingEnjoygoodfoodDined on 8/17/2014Wife chose Amuse because she loves French food and we wanted something different and special for our anniversary. The soup and salad were fine. However, we found the risotto to have a "starchy, over cooked" texture. It was difficult to find enough lobster to justify the $32 price tag. The waitress was apologetic but we were not offered a replacement dish until we were finished with our entrees. Fortunately the Steak Frites was more than adequate and we shared that . The Nespresso coffee was delicious. We enjoyed dessert. A 7pm reservation found the restaurant to be "out of bread". Sorry we judge a restaurant by the quality of its bread. This is NJ, quality bakeries abound. Running to Stop & Shop was a nice try but not at these prices.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Priced like a classy French restaurant but it is everything but. The escargot was dry and chewy and served on a plate, vs the typical French way. Both my wife's steak and my grouper were over-cooked.
- Just as great the second time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014Came for a second time and food was just as good as our first. Staff attentive, specials great, and bring your own! Lovely and will be back again. Hint: Save room and order the souffle!Special Features:
- Awesome!LGSLDined on 8/13/2014The food was wonderful, the service exquisite. I had a chilled lobster bisque, my husband the mixed green salad and both were out of this world. The mussels had just the right spice level, the chicken tasty and moist, with a wonderful crispy skin. The desserts were just as good. It's BYOB so feel free to bring your own wine and they will handle, and serve it, with all the care and love good wine should get. We have a new favorite restaurant and will be back as often as we can. As an aside, we met Executive Chef C.J. at the local Savory Spice shop prior to going and he was nice and very cordial and gave us just the excuse we needed to go.Special Features:
- Great additionBDCaraDined on 8/8/2014Amuse provides an excellent ding option in a town that provides many choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spotFoodTravelerDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I went for lunch and the food was very good. I had the burger and my wife had the vegetable sandwich. She is a vegetarian so we wish there were more options for her other than the one sandwich. She was also a little disappointing in not being able to order the fries with her sandwich as they were cooked in duck fat although i had no problems with them. Overall the food and service were very good. I would return to try other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Amuse-ingTinaDined on 8/5/2014Amuse was a great place for lunch. The menu, while not extensive, is imaginative, and all the food my friend and I ate was top-notch. My first time there will not be my last.Special Features:
- Karen88Dined on 8/4/2014Lunch was just OK in my opinion. Two friends ordered the onion soup, and they raved about it. My salad with chicken was below my expectation. for the very high prices, I felt salad was not up to par. The chicken Caesar salad was spicy according to my friend and the server Torah forgot to bring a person's sandwich but friend never even bothered to ask for it because she was full after soup and salad, Bill was over $115 for three dor just lunch...too expensive, I would Ike to try the place for dinner, as I think it might be better,Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerFoodieDined on 8/3/2014Mixed green salad appetizer was ordinary. Poor variety of greens, mostly chicory, underdressed with little flavor. Entree of consisted of 4 small scallops swimming in an in reduced, unflavored brown butter sauce splashed around the plate. Greasy tiny portion of oversalted kale on plate. Wait person did not refill wine glasses. Slow evening. No excuse for poor service.
- a welcome additionannkreitVIPDined on 8/2/2014excellent dinner....wonderful menu, staff....a great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014New York prices, but not same quality, food inconsistent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/24/2014Dinner was average at best. Entress were way overpriced. Noise level was much much too high.
- Scallops very good. Nice ambienceNinibiniDined on 7/23/2014Mussels were a letdown. Dessert was nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, and won't be the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014Our first time at Amuse - been trying to go for awhile, but they are always booked, and now I know why! Food was excellent, started with Alsace tart. Mains were the steak and I had shrimp with scallops dish. The server asked us at the beginning if we wished to have the souffle for dessert as it would take 45 minutes - we agreed and for dessert followed up with the blood orange souffle which was excellent! BYOB with a pleasing decor. Food was excellent - service was okay.Special Features:
- Great againPerfectVIPDined on 7/18/2014This was our second trip and it did not disappoint. Food was great as was the service. It was a Friday night and not packed. The fish dishes were all good. Recommend the Grouper if they have it. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occassioncran4dfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Had a great time for birthday celebration. Service and food very good. Enjoyed the ravioli app and special swordfish dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceMarianDined on 7/18/2014This was our first visit to Amuse and we'll be back. Amuse is a nice addition to Westfield's restaurant scene. GREAT that you could bring your own wine. Our server was warm and attentive. We each ordered different appetizers, entrees and desserts and then shared tastes. The seared foie itself was great but the acid from the pineapple a bit overwhelmed the dish. The roasted beets were simple and tasty. While all our entrees were good our favorite was the risotto. The rice is perfectly cooked and the sauce is creamy with lovely garlic/basil flavoring and a nice amount of tender crab. We left enough room for blood-orange soufflés. It has a nice hint of citrus flavor and is served with vanilla ice cream and honey. The honey was a nice surprise!Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Food was F---- Amazing especially the seared Foie Gras( was so good I was forced to order two) the acidity from the pineapple gave it an excellent distinctive finish. Duck breast was delectable with the skin cooked the way it was meant to be with a slight crunch. Scallops another winner fresh and seared to perfection. Bone marrow, great flavor best I've ever tried. Don't forget to order the Blood Orange soufflé early which by the way was fabulous, the orange flavor carried very well from top to bottom. Service was superb, from the bus boy to the server which was very personableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return, hope food's less saltycarmarDined on 7/11/2014It was our first visit to Amuse. We looked forward to a good French meal. The service and ambiance was indeed outstanding. One appetizer (Onion Soup) and one entree (Steak au poivre) were oversalted and disappointing. Both dishes would have been wonderful without the excess salt. The other appetizer and entree were excellent and because of this, we will return in hopes that the heavy hand with the salt will lighten.
- What happened???bklyngeneDined on 7/8/2014When Amuse first opened, we dined there and were blown away by everything, from food to ambience. This last time, the food was just not as good as it should be given the caliber of the head chef. The salad was very good, but scallops in the entrée were small and mushy and my duck confit was not crunchy and the sauce was overpowering and too sweet. The staff is phenominal and they gave us a complimentary dessert for my wife’s birthday, but I don’t know if it is enough to win me over to be back again.
- Very good food and serviceTikibarBillDined on 7/7/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary, as did many other patrons, that night. Food was very good, albeit somewhat on the expensive side. Service was excellent, and our waitress was able to answer all of our questions without having to consult with the kitchen. Ambiance is modernly stark with nice wooden tables with no tablecloths. Overall, a very good night, and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service . . .nonnabeeDined on 7/3/2014Great decor and concept! Appealing menu choices and specials, knowledgeable and personable server. Booth better than table for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place in a familiar placePerfectVIPDined on 7/3/2014Amuse takes the place of a long time restaurant in Westfield, but with a much upgraded experience. With a French flare, it did not disappoint. Menu is small but covers all the essentials and everything was timely, hot, and really good. It's pricey but byo. Bring a nice bottle and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnieDined on 7/3/2014This was our first here with another couple. Wow - we loved it and can't wait to come back. Started off with duck liver amuse - it was so good, too bad it was just a bite! Gazpacho, risotto, beet salad and truffle ravioli aappetizers were all delicious. For entrees we had the red snapper, scallops, steak frites and duck breast. Both fish dishes were perfectly cooked and succulent. Likewise with the steak and duck. For dessert my friend pre-orderd the blood orange souffle - best dessert on the list! I did love my raspberry tart and the chocolate brownie tart was a keeper too. Service was on point. Our wine was well handled. Only drawback was the noise. When the place filled up it was a little loud. Great value for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Scallops!LKWENDEL1Dined on 7/3/2014If you want an authentic French bistro experience, Amuse is the place! The food is delicious and true to form. The meals are a bit pricey for Westfield, but the quality is excellent. It is typically French, as portion size is more on the French-style, but the food is really worth the wait (there is sometimes a wait for seating or reservations). Can't wait to go back, more items to try on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very attentive staff.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2014When I booked my reservation I stated that the date was our 40 th wedding anniversary. They were very sweet and put a candle in our dessert.,I had the scallops which were amazing.Asked for a recommendation from our server and followed her lead. All in all a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Great Special Anniversary DinnerFeedmesteakDined on 6/29/2014We decided to try this restaurant for the first time for our 30th anniversary dinner. We were greeted at the door by friendly staff and seated at a nice table by the window. One among us happened to have celiac disease (no gluten allowed) and did not specifically seek this place out for that purpose but found practically the entire menu available to her because the restaurant doesn't use flour to thicken its sauces (Yay!!!). What a treat! The menu was small but good variety. The asparagus appetizer was a lovely, and our entrees the scallops and steak frites were wonderful. The pavlova for dessert finished it all off nicely. The staff was charming and attentive. What more could we ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed review, worth a second visit.DrMMVIPDined on 6/28/2014Excellent wait staff, including the bus boy who asked if we enjoyed our dinner as he cleared the table. The escargot, although luke warm, were beautifully presented with bacon "chunks." Cesare salad flavorful, but more "leafy" than "hearty." Grouper was excellent, crisp, yet moist. Mussels over "cayenne."
- DisappointingjojoDined on 6/17/2014This was my third visit to Amuse and for the second time they were out of my first choice of an entre -- this time the salmon. Even though the skate was acceptable as an alternative it still was not my first choice. Also, the strawberry salad was not that good. Probably won't give them a 4th chance.
- UnimpressedFoodiefriendsDined on 6/17/2014A friend and I decided to give this new place a try. Friendly service in a bland atmosphere. My friends tossed salad was underdressed and my beet salad was lacking in flavor. She enjoyed the skate special and I tried the Monk fish which was somewhat over salted. We passed on dessert which was unlike us but we left feeling unimpressed with the restaurant overall.
- Delicious but priceydenise0628Dined on 6/16/2014The food was delicious. I felt the rizzoto dinner was over priced. There was one small piece of lobster tail in a large plate of pesto rizzoto. Without the appetizers I would have been still hungry (Not a big carb eater). Plus the menu said that its was supposed to be lump crab meat. I never saw any crab. Bottom line was there was not enough meat to be charging $32. It was my husband's birthday so I called ahead to request their bread pudding which we had gotten there before. It took talking to three people up to the chef before I could get a guarentee that they would have it. Why make it so difficult when I was calling days in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic addition to our townRdsawksDined on 6/15/2014This fairly new restaurant (about 6 mos old) is a great addition to our small town. The ambiance is wonderful- light wood, minimalist, and comfortable. The service is great and efficient. Within minutes of being seated, a server came over to ask if we had any questions and to take drink orders. Shortly thereafter, warm, fresh and delicious bread arrived. Try their brunch on Sundays- bread is replaced by a variety of phenomenal sweet rolls and croissants! The menu changes almost every day depending on what is fresh at the markets. CJ, the owner and executive chef, has a fantastic palate and serves up very creative plates of food. Hard to save room for dessert, but if possible, preorder the soufflé- you won't be disappointed. BYOB- a plus!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitmercyx3Dined on 6/14/2014CJ Reycraft has been chef de cuisine at Chez Catherine in Westfield for years, during which it has often been voted Best French Restaurant by the readers of NJ Monthly. This year, he and his bride-to-be opened Amuse, a more casual, contemporary French inspired bistro. The space is open and bright, and especially charming in good weather, when the doors can be opened to the sidewalk, where there's additional seating. The menu is wide ranging, and everything we tried was excellent. Don't miss out on the tarte Alsace, and don't forget, it's BYOB. A welcome addition to the Westfield scene.Special Features:
- Be transported to EuropeFoodieDined on 6/13/2014Having been to Europe over 20 times, I am always heading into NYC for some great French food. Now I only have to head to downtown Westfield! The food was wonderful and very French yet with a fresh, unique and interesting twist to some classic dishes. The scallops were the best I have ever had and the souffle was as light as air - perfection! The menu is varied with something for everyone. Amuse is definitely one of the best restaurants in New Jersey - great for a special occasion yet a treat for a Friday night since it is a BYO. Bon Appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.