15 North First Street
Ashland, OR 97520Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amuserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5414889000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Wednesday-Sunday: 5:30-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Erik Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small dining room seats up to 14 people. Patio seats up to 35 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jamie North 5414889000
A word from Amuse Restaurant
We seek the finest ingredients, utilizing organic, small-producer items. Shaded outdoor dining in summer months. Voted Best New, Oregon 2002 by Northwest Palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Amuse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
Amuse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)special occasion (77)romantic (44)neighborhood gem (35)notable wine list (32)great for outdoor dining (15)hot spot (5)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- LukewarmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Our entrees (2 had sable fish and 1 had pork) were not hot when they came to the table. Jerusalem artichokes were part of the fish dish. They were tough and unable to be portioned into bite size pieces with a fork. We were headed to a play and didn't have a lot of extra time to send anything back to the kitchen. Plus our waitress didn't really come by to check on our meals until they were half eaten.Special Features:
- Very attentive wait staff .........janon1987Dined on 9/25/2014the celery soup (starter) and game hen (main) are musts to have at this centrally located restaurant. We reserved two days in advance and had a 6pm seating in order to make our 8pm show. Wine list was decent but lacked a deep European presence . Food was hot and sauces were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Joyful Mealinaka19Dined on 9/25/2014Being from Portland, I'm used to wonderful food at very good restaurants, but the food and service at Amuse was better than anything I have found in Portland. Our server was so friendly and knowledgeable about her menu. Her recommendations were honest and fun. The halibut I had was cooked superbly as were the local vegetables. The cheese plate was fabulous, a Gouda with candied fennel and fennel dusted popcorn. The wine pairings were wonderful, thanks to the server. A wonderful evening. I will make it a point to eat at Amuse when I return to Ashland the next time.Special Features:
- A good meal but not great.BethDined on 9/24/2014The food was good but not great. The portions were small. I felt that the courses came too quickly and that had a negative effect on the dining experience. (We were there after the shows had begun and clearly were not needing to rush.) The carrot amuse and the beignets were amazing. The maitake salad had lovely flavor but very few maitake. The sweetbreads were good but the pineapple did not belong in the dish and overwhelmed the flavor. The quail was a bit overcooked.
- Good Dining ExperiencedininginsactoDined on 9/24/2014Well-paced service, and perfectly prepared food (I especially recommend the pan-roasted halibut). We were in a small room off to the side, and with 5 tables in this small space it became quite noisy. But overall it was a good dining experience and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ashland DinnerJP11Dined on 9/23/2014We ate at Amuse in Ashland, Or on the one night we did not have a play so we were not rushed. The food was local and very good as was the service in the restaurant. The restaurant is small, but nicely done and we sat by the window and looked out on the street scene in Ashland. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is visiting Ashland for the OSF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great18theatsDined on 9/23/2014Amuse is a good restaurant that serves food in the French style and has a limited, but well-balanced menu. Most of the dishes we had were good. Halibut just slightly overcooked for my taste, and the sorbets pretty horrible, actually. We had heard over-the-top things about the restaurant, and so, felt a bit disappointed. The venue, at least the section where we sat, was unappealing, and the wait staff, although accommodating was surprisingly ignorant (couldn't tell us anything about the wine list--which was limited). The prices are very reasonable.
- Amuse - a must if you can afford itgoodfoodloverDined on 9/23/2014An elegant dining experience - white table cloths and crystal wine glasses. Interesting combinations of food. We tried the Oregon albacore because it was accompanied by sunchokes and a celery root puree; all very tasty, with a lovely crust on the seared tuna. My partner didn't like the pea shoot salad, but I found it nice. We were too full to eat a dessert, but that selection looked delicious. The wine list includes many Rogue Valley wines - a nice opportunity to drink local while eating local.Special Features:
- Nice spot!MsmmmattieDined on 9/18/2014I would give food 4.5, so overall would be 4.5. It is a bit noisy, but the staff makes up for everything with their professional & friendly manner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Outstanding evening! Server was excellent. Food was everything I was told it be! The best!!! Do try it! We could not find any faults with it and we are kind of snobs!!!!Special Features:
- LOMaxVIPDined on 9/17/2014Always a treat. Our table of 4 each had a different starter and different entree. All were excellent. One of the top 3 places in Ashland-Talent.Special Features:
- Service LapseRAZZMOVIPDined on 9/16/2014We have been coming here since 2007, when we go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. We have always loved it. This time our experience was sub-optimal. Started out fine and our wine and starters came up promptly. When they were cleared we sat for a while waiting for our entrees and our server asked if we had everything we needed. We quickly realized something had gone wrong. We asked about our mains and he said they were coming right out. Then he said they were being plated in a minute or two. After a few minutes I started timing it and they came out 8 minutes later. No explanation, no apology. Another diner was quite irate about waiting and got loud about it. Hopefully, this was just an off night and nothing more than that.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Traveling to Ashland we found Amuse. Such a wonderful meal. The food was excellent ! Hard to chose from the menu, everything sounded so good. Service was very good, attentive but not a bother. All around a wonderful night. We will definitely be going back the next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Superb, accessibleWonderlandVIPDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant hits it out of the park on all factors. The menu, food preparation and presentation were all outstanding, high quality and creative. intimate in size, minimalist decor but yet warm. As a bonus - it is easily accessible in this town which has its share of steep hills for those of us who have some difficulty walking. Amuse is at the part of town which is flat. The service was excellent and they got us out in fine time to make the play. If you like chardonnay, you must try Cowhorn Sprial 26. Crisp, lovely. It was a great discovery. The salmon and halibut were both well prepared. The beet puree was fabulous. Also highly recommend the tarragon ice cream with fennel sorbet and anise shortbread.Special Features:
- unusual mixture of constituentsDoloZ22Dined on 9/12/2014We have been eating at Amuse for 9 years. As I recall, they have always had sweetbreads on the menu. I ordered the sweetbreads again this year. I did not, unfortunately, read the menu thoroughly. The sweetbreads were served with Manila clams in a broth. while the dish was OK, it is yet another way to mess up sweetbreads.Special Features:
- Outstanding in Every Way!dine4funVIPDined on 9/12/2014We always enjoy coming here. The food is always amazing - beautifully presented and perfectly cooked every single time. The service is friendly and attentive. Always a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lbmdesqLBMDESQDined on 9/11/2014BEEN HERE MANY TIMES.QUALITY ALWAYS EXCELLENT IN ALL ASPECTS. WILL RETURN! LAWRENCE BRATTSpecial Features:
- Some excellent, some overpricedDinaDined on 9/10/2014Amuse offered near-elegant simplicity in environment and a few inspired menu items. The cheese plate presented a dance of delightful flavors and desserts were truly excellent. Tomato soup was nondescript. Pricing was on the high side for wine and main meal selections. Amuse charges $7 to split meals, but servings are already small so we were happy to have full portions. Our server was polite and attentive.Special Features:
- Third time not the charm...wggzreviewVIPDined on 9/9/2014Third visit in 4 years. First visit was excellent. Second visit a little less so. Disappointed with this visit...the value to the dollar spent, in my opinion, is now a negative calculation. Sweetbreads were $15 for four very small pieces of dry glands. The four pieces could have been served on a tablespoon. The Halibut...$30...had little flavor and was overcooked. Sadly! We will probably not return next year as there are other places in Ashland serving up better value for one's dollar.
- Still the bestcostosVIPDined on 9/9/2014Amuse continues to be the most reliable and consistent restaurant in the Ashland area. The room is charming, the back patio is great (except when the outside temperature gets too high), and the service is friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. The food is always excellently prepared with the best ingredients and, the sweetbreads remain among the best anywhere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/3/2014restaurant has seen its better days. The entree poritions were so small that it would even be sufficient for a child's portion. a major disappointment from what it used to be.
- Best in AshlandOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/3/2014All of us had to agree this was the best food we had in Ashland. I am thinking next time to book two evenings there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amuse is AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014I don't respond to reviews but I have to share on Amuse. It's off the charts! Alice Waters would be right at home here. In particular, the salmon was unbelievable, so succulent and served with an incredible mushroom side (I'm not even sure what to call this but it had bite-size whole mushrooms - a few different kinds - drenched in a very tasty light gravy. OK I'm not a food critic so excuse my limited vocab). We were ascending the gates of St. Peter through dinner and made it to heaven after eating the delightful beignets for dessert. Coffee was outstanding too. If you like really great tasting but not too fussy food, you will love this place. It's upscale but not pretentious and the service is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we'll be backFlavorSeekerLADined on 8/28/2014We're visiting from OOT, second time here - the food is outstanding. Game hen, gnocchi and prawn salad were standouts. See you next time, Amuse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/26/2014Amuse is one of twpo FANTASTIC restaurants in Ashland! In summer, it is serving lunch with best hamburger north of SF!Special Features:
- Great dining experiencemaynmanDined on 8/26/2014This was our first time back in several years. Even better than last time (which was good, but not great) - the gnocchi with eggplant was excellent and the salmon was very fresh, albeit on the rare side of medium rare. The veggies were perfectly done, and always our favorite, the warm chocolate truffle cake. If you love chocolate, as we do, this is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningHappyDined on 8/23/2014Everything about our evening at Amuse was outstanding. Service was great and food was tremendous. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a special dining experience.Special Features:
- Wish we had found it earlierQuietVIPDined on 8/22/2014We joined a couple of friends here for our final night in Ashland. The menu selections are few, the wine list is modest, but it's all really good! My wife and I had a fresh-as-the-moment heirloom tomato salad and, for the entree, we shared the grilled albacore. As "dessert," three of us ordered cognac. It turned out there was only enough cognac in the one remaining bottle for one person so the waiter divided it into three glasses and we left happy! (We hope their purchaser orders more for our future visits.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BESTRestatsVIPDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I went for the first time in several years because we chose not to see two shows a day this trip. We both had an appetizer salad and mine was with shrimp. The freshest and best cooked shrimp I have had in many years. They were plump, moist and almost like scallops in texture. Then for main courses we both had fish. The salmon was as good and fresh as it could be while the albacore was the same and cooked rare the way it needs to be. The flavors were superb. This is a restaurant on the major city level of food service and quality along with the subtlety of flavors and presentation. For dessert we had two cheese boards and Stumptown coffee (Portland's best). It is well worth going here for dinner.Special Features:
- ZooladyDined on 8/22/2014The absolute best place to eat in Ashland!! The menu changes with the seasons and you are always delightfully surprised!! I don't know how the food combinations are put together but WOW!!!!!Special Features:
- Amused by AmusetasterDined on 8/21/2014In Ashland for an event, I always head for dinner at Amuse. The lovely food and friendly service make dining a special event. My friend said her halibut was the best she had ever tasted.Special Features:
- So delicious!Dipsea99VIPDined on 8/20/2014The culinary experience in Amuse continues to please with freshness, delicate flavors, and tasty sauces. Everything comes together here with no pretension, just pure dedication to bringing out the best of each ingredient. It's about the food. We started with the prawn salad and then moved to halibut and salmon entrees. All dishes exceptional! The corn ice cream dessert was refreshing and flavorful. Service was friendly and the descriptions of the dishes and the recommendations enhanced our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well prepared excellent servicedianeDined on 8/20/2014the restaurant has a small menu, but all the dishes were well prepared, the 3 sauces for the bread were excellent. the albacore was done just as I requested and excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Done here on every visitPickyPescatarianVIPDined on 8/15/2014I dine at Amuse every time I visit Ashland and have for the past 13 years. The quality of food and experience has stayed outstandingly high. I might go back again tonight and select a different entree to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best by farOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014Amuse is exceptional: excellent, well-planned service, no delays, no rush, no hiccups, even when getting a pre-theatre crowd out the door in time, it never feels rushed. The food is beautifully prepared with fresh ingredients and there are many lovely touches, like an amuse bouche of bread with several types of spreads and more treats after dessert. The servers are all very pro, but welcoming, friendly, and helpful. We had sweetbreads, heirloom tomato salad, halibut, a cheese plate (very nicely done) and dessert, all delightful.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceoutforlunchDined on 8/13/2014Best meal we had in Ashland. Delicious sweetbreads. Fantastic chocolate truffle cake--one of the best desserts I've ever had. Great ambiance and terrific service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Anniversary DinnerNewlyRetiredDined on 8/10/2014Celebrated our anniversary here and the staff treated us royally. Excellent food and wine offerings, everything was delicious, and the waiter made suggestions to add to our most pleasurable experience. This will be our "go to" place in Ashland when we want a special evening. They did not rush us, but we were still out in plenty of time to make our play.Special Features:
- DisappointingVisitorsDined on 8/9/2014Two years ago we had a fabulous meal at Amuse. We returned this year with great expectations that were not fulfilled. The game hen breast was overcooked and the halibut with radish, tomatoes, olives and tomato-watermelon water was bland except when you ate an olive which overpowered your taste buds. The halibut however, was perfectly cooked.
- lovefoodDined on 8/8/2014I did not think their food was anything special and there was hardly any food at all on the plate. I am not asking for a lot, just enough. We ordered an appetizer that we did not get served. Maybe there was some confusion about it. Or maybe the waitress didn't hear it through all the noise.Special Features:
- Great from beginning to endOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/6/2014Never fails to deliver a delicious meal with outstanding service, and considerate of theater goers time.Special Features: