15 North First Street
Ashland, OR 97520Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amuserestaurant.com/
- Phone: (541) 488-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Wednesday-Sunday: 5:30-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Erik Brown
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Small dining room seats up to 14 people. Patio seats up to 35 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jamie North 5414889000
A word from Amuse Restaurant
We seek the finest ingredients, utilizing organic, small-producer items. Shaded outdoor dining in summer months. Voted Best New, Oregon 2002 by Northwest Palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Amuse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
Amuse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (64)romantic (34)notable wine list (33)neighborhood gem (33)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting Ashland. The selection is rather limited but what the serve is excellent quality. I really enjoy the extra touches to every dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findObjimDined on 11/8/2014An intimate, romantic evening with excellent French cuisine. The rib eye steak was prepared exactly as requested and was delicious. Peggy had the halibut which she says was superb. Lots of butter and sauces. The caramel hazelnut cake was excellent. All in all a wonderful birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Lovely dinner celebrating our 38th anniversary. We are never disappointed when we choose Amuse everything about the evening was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeChowMinerDined on 10/31/2014Nice place. Cozy environs. Food was excellent, flavorful, carefully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favoritesAshlanderDined on 10/22/2014Too noisy in the main dining room when there is a large party. It is a very small restaurant and there really is no where else to seat them, we understand. Need to enlarge the wine list!Special Features:
- Wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014From the amuse offering to the finish this was a wonderful experience. The scallops were the best I ever had! The desert was so-so but everything else was really tasty.Special Features:
- CAepicureDined on 10/16/2014Seating by entry was disturbing. Server should be fired. Service last year by Ben was outstanding and one of the reasons we came back.. Many wines very overpriced. The food, as well as the presentation, was absolutely outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpyDined on 10/12/2014Amuse is my favorite restaurant for special occasions, and Amuse has never let me down,Special Features:
- Consistently wonderfulSing4supperDined on 10/12/2014My group and I had our annual dinner here before the outdoor Shakespeare season closed. Everything was wonderful as always. One quibble is that our server did not explain the specials with the exactitude another server (at another table) displayed. Had we been given the information about the pork being cooked sous vide, one of us would likely have opted for this choice. (We had asked whether the pork special was tender and were told the pork cheek would be and the rest would likely be. A better description if the cooking technique would have given us the sought after information with greater clarity.) Given how happy each of us was with what we got, as I said, it's a mere quibble. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fortunate to get in... a busy nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014We wanted to have a pleasant dining experience and yet had theater tickets so we had a time constrain. Our server was delightful and very knowledgeable of her establishment and all ingredients in the various selections. The presentation of each dish was unique and artistic. I am not referring to the overused signature drizzle of creme or truffle oil like many others so often do. A most unique desert was shared of cinnamon ice creme and pear sorbet. Wow. We will remember this next spring for sure. Thanks for a memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amuse ReataurantSeattleFoodie526Dined on 10/10/2014I have eaten at Amuse several times and it never fails to excite me. I love the way they cook! They find a way to create memorable dishes every time. I plan to return as many times as I can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRestatsVIPDined on 10/8/2014We had been there in august and found the food outstanding. This time the food was a disappointment. My pork was dry and the parsnips hard as rocks. The cheese board was also a disappointment as last times was phenomenal. We won't be going back for a while.Special Features:
- Always excellentPjacrouxVIPDined on 10/8/2014We attend the OSF every year and always eat at Amuse because the food and service are consistently excellent. This year the scallops were superb and the pork two ways was delicious.Special Features:
- Best in Ashland!rja1953Dined on 10/7/2014This is just an assumption, since I haven't been to all the restaurants in Ashland. My wife and I did try a couple of other "top 10" listings and Amuse was far and away better than the local competition. Highly recommended...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the WaitlitloverDined on 10/5/2014After two unsuccessful attempts to book a table at Amuse, we were delighted with our dinner this week. Our large scallops were perfectly cooked, the pea shoot salad was a delicate starter, and the apple cake we ended with evoked "aah's." Accompanying this fine meal was David's attentive and considerate service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice eveningwandererDined on 10/5/2014We went before the theater. The food was interesting and delicious. Best for us was the sweetbreads as they are a family favorite. The rest of the meal was good but not memorable. The service was friendly but very intermittent and slow. Great if you're there without any deadline.Special Features:
- amuseannazVIPDined on 10/4/2014Chef accomdated us when we requested seared foie gras which wasn't on the menu that evening. .it was perfect.our waitress was excellent. .will return when back in ashland..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior food!EssieDined on 10/4/2014A rather mediocre environment but very superior food. The best in Ashland!Special Features:
- The meal says it allGAJ2Dined on 10/1/2014Amuse never disappoints in service and ambience, but it is the food that says it all. The best halibut I've ever eaten served by attentive supportive personnel. Josh is truly a great chef.Special Features:
- A must when in AshlandMikeVIPDined on 10/1/2014Amuse came highly recommended and did not disappoint. The service was excellent and the classic bistro-style menu offered a number of delicious choices--the ribeye was the standout. Pacing was good and tailored to the needs of theater goers. The wine list emphasizes local offerings, was quite interesting and well-priced. Our waiter's wine suggestions were spot-on. We're already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- An off night?TDRfromMdRVIPDined on 9/30/2014A disappointing dinner despite favorable reviews for the restaurant on line. The amuse-bouche of beets three ways was oddly large and of mixed quality. My wife's pea-shoot salad should have been cut up more; she gave up part way through the stringy mass. My celery-root soup was OK but sharp. Our gnocchi main was dry and uninspired, although with some good potato nuggets. The recommended white wine was good, but the server never poured anything after the first pour. Sometimes we had to collar a server to get what we wanted. Recent TripAdvisor reviews gave Amuse ratings of only four or three (out of five) stars, with one of the latter saying that the place seemed to have declined. When we're next in Ashland, we'll look elsewhere.Special Features:
- Outstanding, creative foodLisaSDined on 9/30/2014I would give it a 4.5 if allowed. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- LukewarmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Our entrees (2 had sable fish and 1 had pork) were not hot when they came to the table. Jerusalem artichokes were part of the fish dish. They were tough and unable to be portioned into bite size pieces with a fork. We were headed to a play and didn't have a lot of extra time to send anything back to the kitchen. Plus our waitress didn't really come by to check on our meals until they were half eaten.Special Features:
- Very attentive wait staff .........janon1987Dined on 9/25/2014the celery soup (starter) and game hen (main) are musts to have at this centrally located restaurant. We reserved two days in advance and had a 6pm seating in order to make our 8pm show. Wine list was decent but lacked a deep European presence . Food was hot and sauces were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to parpickyeaterVIPDined on 9/25/2014We have eaten at Amuse several times over the past years, had great meals but this last visit was very disappointing. We had salad, soup and fish. The salad was good, the soup was tepid and the fish was overcooked (likely because they had to delay serving our food while they heated up the soup). My normal approach when a restaurant has an off night is to contact them directly instead of posting something online. I left two (2) messages for Amuse on their website e-mail "contact us" asking that someone do just that but almost two weeks later- no word. Hopefully they will see this and understand that if they are going to charge fine dining prices, when a customer wants to share an experience with them, they should respond.Special Features:
- A Joyful Mealinaka19Dined on 9/25/2014Being from Portland, I'm used to wonderful food at very good restaurants, but the food and service at Amuse was better than anything I have found in Portland. Our server was so friendly and knowledgeable about her menu. Her recommendations were honest and fun. The halibut I had was cooked superbly as were the local vegetables. The cheese plate was fabulous, a Gouda with candied fennel and fennel dusted popcorn. The wine pairings were wonderful, thanks to the server. A wonderful evening. I will make it a point to eat at Amuse when I return to Ashland the next time.Special Features:
- A good meal but not great.BethDined on 9/24/2014The food was good but not great. The portions were small. I felt that the courses came too quickly and that had a negative effect on the dining experience. (We were there after the shows had begun and clearly were not needing to rush.) The carrot amuse and the beignets were amazing. The maitake salad had lovely flavor but very few maitake. The sweetbreads were good but the pineapple did not belong in the dish and overwhelmed the flavor. The quail was a bit overcooked.
- Good Dining ExperiencedininginsactoDined on 9/24/2014Well-paced service, and perfectly prepared food (I especially recommend the pan-roasted halibut). We were in a small room off to the side, and with 5 tables in this small space it became quite noisy. But overall it was a good dining experience and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ashland DinnerJP11Dined on 9/23/2014We ate at Amuse in Ashland, Or on the one night we did not have a play so we were not rushed. The food was local and very good as was the service in the restaurant. The restaurant is small, but nicely done and we sat by the window and looked out on the street scene in Ashland. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is visiting Ashland for the OSF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great18theatsDined on 9/23/2014Amuse is a good restaurant that serves food in the French style and has a limited, but well-balanced menu. Most of the dishes we had were good. Halibut just slightly overcooked for my taste, and the sorbets pretty horrible, actually. We had heard over-the-top things about the restaurant, and so, felt a bit disappointed. The venue, at least the section where we sat, was unappealing, and the wait staff, although accommodating was surprisingly ignorant (couldn't tell us anything about the wine list--which was limited). The prices are very reasonable.
- Amuse - a must if you can afford itgoodfoodloverDined on 9/23/2014An elegant dining experience - white table cloths and crystal wine glasses. Interesting combinations of food. We tried the Oregon albacore because it was accompanied by sunchokes and a celery root puree; all very tasty, with a lovely crust on the seared tuna. My partner didn't like the pea shoot salad, but I found it nice. We were too full to eat a dessert, but that selection looked delicious. The wine list includes many Rogue Valley wines - a nice opportunity to drink local while eating local.Special Features:
- Nice spot!MsmmmattieDined on 9/18/2014I would give food 4.5, so overall would be 4.5. It is a bit noisy, but the staff makes up for everything with their professional & friendly manner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Outstanding evening! Server was excellent. Food was everything I was told it be! The best!!! Do try it! We could not find any faults with it and we are kind of snobs!!!!Special Features:
- LOMaxVIPDined on 9/17/2014Always a treat. Our table of 4 each had a different starter and different entree. All were excellent. One of the top 3 places in Ashland-Talent.Special Features:
- Service LapseRAZZMOVIPDined on 9/16/2014We have been coming here since 2007, when we go to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. We have always loved it. This time our experience was sub-optimal. Started out fine and our wine and starters came up promptly. When they were cleared we sat for a while waiting for our entrees and our server asked if we had everything we needed. We quickly realized something had gone wrong. We asked about our mains and he said they were coming right out. Then he said they were being plated in a minute or two. After a few minutes I started timing it and they came out 8 minutes later. No explanation, no apology. Another diner was quite irate about waiting and got loud about it. Hopefully, this was just an off night and nothing more than that.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Traveling to Ashland we found Amuse. Such a wonderful meal. The food was excellent ! Hard to chose from the menu, everything sounded so good. Service was very good, attentive but not a bother. All around a wonderful night. We will definitely be going back the next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Superb, accessibleWonderlandVIPDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant hits it out of the park on all factors. The menu, food preparation and presentation were all outstanding, high quality and creative. intimate in size, minimalist decor but yet warm. As a bonus - it is easily accessible in this town which has its share of steep hills for those of us who have some difficulty walking. Amuse is at the part of town which is flat. The service was excellent and they got us out in fine time to make the play. If you like chardonnay, you must try Cowhorn Sprial 26. Crisp, lovely. It was a great discovery. The salmon and halibut were both well prepared. The beet puree was fabulous. Also highly recommend the tarragon ice cream with fennel sorbet and anise shortbread.Special Features:
- unusual mixture of constituentsDoloZ22Dined on 9/12/2014We have been eating at Amuse for 9 years. As I recall, they have always had sweetbreads on the menu. I ordered the sweetbreads again this year. I did not, unfortunately, read the menu thoroughly. The sweetbreads were served with Manila clams in a broth. while the dish was OK, it is yet another way to mess up sweetbreads.Special Features:
- Outstanding in Every Way!dine4funVIPDined on 9/12/2014We always enjoy coming here. The food is always amazing - beautifully presented and perfectly cooked every single time. The service is friendly and attentive. Always a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lbmdesqLBMDESQDined on 9/11/2014BEEN HERE MANY TIMES.QUALITY ALWAYS EXCELLENT IN ALL ASPECTS. WILL RETURN! LAWRENCE BRATTSpecial Features: