Amuse at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
200 N Boulevard
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Amuse at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/Amuse/
- Phone: 8043401580
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Thursdays and Fridays: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Greg Haley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The most important events in life should take place in the most spectacular settings. The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts has an event venue to suit any style.
- Private Party Contact: Sara Holloway 8778845824
A word from Amuse at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is pleased to present Amuse, the brand new dining room and bar nestled on the third level overlooking the spectacular Cochrane Atrium. Our dining room is perfect for a leisurely lunch upon visiting the VMFA, with several local dishes conceived and produced daily by Chef Greg Haley. From the greens in our salads to the vodka in our specialty martinis, Amuse is proud to use the finest ingredients grown and perfected here in Virginia. Our bar is an ideal spot for a fine glass of wine or cocktail, fitted with comfortable retro lounge chairs and marble tables. Weather permitting, our balcony will be open for dining, providing a spectacular view of the campus and our new sculpture garden. Group dining is available in our main dining room or in one of our two adjacent banquet rooms, complete with floor to ceiling glass walls and access to our spacious balcony. Visit Amuse and see for yourself!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amuse at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts reviews from OpenTable diners
- Lovely lunch - poor waiterMargoDined on 4/30/2014The food was just unusual and delightful. The hostess was lovely and gracious. Our waiter, however, left much to. E desired for gracious dining. When pouring our water he spilled it over onto the table and my companion's napkin and said sorry, but made no move to wipe it up or provide a clean napkin until we called him over later. Just did not measure up to the standards of such a fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDartjonDined on 4/30/2014We brought an out of town guest for lunch. We got the crab cakes with bacon, fried green tomatoes, and pimento cheese spread. The combinations of the flavors was outstanding. Our friend said it was the best lunch she has ever eaten. And we heartily agree.Special Features:
- AMAZINGtigersnowkatDined on 4/27/2014We took my mom and 10 and 8 year olds! WOW! The food was AMAZING! The service INCREDIBLE!!! The art work was AMAZING! Although the girls are young, they were adventurous and tried lots of the food!!! YUMMY!!!Special Features:
- Great EveningLuvtobrunchDined on 4/26/2014A perfect top off to a wonderful Restaurant week! Service was great, the weather was perfect, and the food was awesome . Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatkaltDined on 4/25/2014Ambiance is beautiful, walk around the museum before or after your dinner. The food is exceptional - great service!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2014We celebrated a friend's retirement here during Richmond Restaurant Week and were pleasantly surprised to find such a wide variety of foods on the menu. Everything was well prepared and presented, and the service was excellent. It was noisier than usual due to the very full dining room, which made it a bit difficult to converse. Nonetheless, we enjoyed the experience and will look forward to coming again.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014We have gone to Amuse several times and always enjoy it. They have a great cocktail list and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A weekend destinationHankandSandyDined on 4/24/2014We live 200 miles from Richmond, but love to return when we can. The Virginia Museum of Fine Art is one of our resons. Since the opening of Amuse, it's one more excuse to visit; twice in our recent, three day visit. Would I recommend it to friends? Heck yes; already have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like?WVBfoodieDined on 4/24/2014We went for the restaurant week menu, my mussel starter was great, big and juicy mussels full of flavor. And the broth was perfect for the toast. The grouper was cooked to perfection, and the chocolate pate was dense and silky, heavenly indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mormorDined on 4/24/2014Food was excellent. Our server was attentive and did an excellent job of getting our food to us quickly as we told him we had theater tickets that evening. I found the chairs very uncomfortable (used my purse as a back pillow which helped some), but my husband didn't agree. Would like to go back an evening when we have more time to enjoy the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week DinnerRobinDined on 4/24/2014We had a delicious, delightful dinner at Amuse. Their crab cakes are the BEST in Richmond. We also loved the mussels appetizer and the curries oysters one.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2014Only regret is that I wish they would change up the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to dine at the Amuse!EVONDined on 4/24/2014The food is always delightful and the service is fantastic! Love dining here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as usual.DiscriminateVIPDined on 4/20/2014We have dined at Amuse many times and have always been quite pleased. This was disappointing. Menu was strange--service spotty. Had special guests which we had told of the pleasant experience they would have. Did not happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch venueBusinesslunchDined on 4/18/2014We went for lunch. Beautiful setting, excellent service, and great food. My lamb was perfect. Quiet dinning area so perfect for a business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amuse: pleasurable diversionCarolinaBeckyVIPDined on 4/14/2014We get to Richmond often & I've decided Amuse is the best restaurant in town. The setting is elegantly simple, overlooking the Museum of Fine Arts' sculpture garden with a design that makes the garden view an extension of the space; a rooftop terrace is open in good weather. But it's the creative menu featuring locally sourced ingredients and execution that lift Amuse. Today we had a riff on Caesar salad: grilled rockfish served atop grilled bread and grilled romaine topped with bagna cauda as the dressing served with a sous vide egg. The cocktail and dessert selections are also highly creative but the cooking wins the day. Each plate when presented is a feast for the eyes (as befitting an art museum) as well as the palate.Special Features:
- expensive, pretty presentationrosieDined on 4/13/2014Great atmosphere, I may be getting tired of the food but it is presented beautifully and service is good. Food choices do not seem as good to me as in the first year of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adventuresomely ChicAlbertHumeDined on 4/11/2014The menu is always interesting with a good balance between cutting edge and semi-traditional. The setting is lovely and noise level is quiet which is appealing. Waitstaff is friendly and knowledgeable regarding the menu. People watching is always fun. Check it out!!!Special Features:
- Lovely Night at the Museum!FarmsandiDined on 4/10/2014Our server, Bryan, was pleasant without being intrusive, as well as helpful and good natured about our questions. And if he didn't know the answer, was quick to find out. I have food allergies, and appreciated his checking with the chef so he could say with confidence which dishes would suit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant ambiance....not much elselindawDined on 4/6/2014You should know before you go here that the location and scenic view are what makes this place......not the food or the service.....We were seated at 1pm, and waited one hour and five minutes before our food came to the table....even though the place had empty tables and was not crowded. this was a relaxed birthday celebration, and a time to catch up with each other, so it didn't bother anyone too much....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Sunday Brunch, 4/8/2014PimientoCheeseDined on 4/6/2014New inventive menu--delicious fresh ingredients with local appeal creatively prepared. We enjoyed every single mouthful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly wonderfulAnneDined on 4/5/2014I hosted lunch for a friend for her birthday. The entire experience from making reservations on Open Table to the devine Pots de Creme (spelling?) dessert was wonderful. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The EnergyNellyK8Dined on 4/5/2014We have eaten at Amuse several times and while this experience was exceptional in many ways it had a few let-downs. The server was ultra condescending. It seemed like he assumed that since we were young we wouldn't be big spenders and would have trouble understanding the menu. The other disappointment was a plate of half-wilty salad. Otherwise, the food was awesome across the board.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid upscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014Our meals were very good, not outstanding For the price I expected a little more complexity of flavor. But the dishes were creative. Our drinks and appetizer came promptly, but our main courses took a while We were not in a rush, so no worries, but I wouldn't have been happy if we were in a hurry. Wine list was pleasantly priced with plenty of good options. The setting was great for a spring Friday night with the sunset out the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu a disappointmentrvafoodandwineDined on 4/4/2014We had two new lunch entrees, both underwhelming. Fish tacos were overcooked and dry, in heavy tasteless shells. The tasteless sauce and beans didn't help. The cheeseburger and fries, just average. Has the chef changed? The new direction didn't work for us. But service was great.
- Excellent Dining Experiencegr8timesVIPDined on 3/30/2014Sunday brunch was lovely. They had a nice mix of breakfast and lunch items, with a few surprising items as well. The French Toast was delicious and not overly sweet. We had a wonderful conversation with the bartenders, who were knowledgeable and helpful, and who made great suggestions. Service was attentive, but not smothering. All in all, a relaxing, delightful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I felt specialvmfafanDined on 3/30/2014I am usually a cafe dweller but finally found an excuse to venture upstairs to Amuse. Everything about my experience made me feel creative, inspired, happy...I could keep going. The food was FANTASTIC and so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Experience at AmuseBeachbugDined on 3/26/2014Delicious oyster appetizer and perfect chicken tagine. Dream girl cocktail was also delicious. Thanks again, Amuse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2014We were a party of six in Richmond for the week-end and visiting the Va. Fine Arts Museum on Sunday morning before heading home. I called ahead for a reservation, and we were given a lovely table next to a glass wall overlooking the museum grounds. All of our party enjoyed different selections from the brunch menu and concluded that the food was quite good. The restaurant is new and very handsome. We particularly loved the light fixtures which changed colors, going from a gorgeous apricot to a deep rose. If I lived in Richmond, this restaurant would be a place to take a friend or to celebrate an occasion. It's light, modern, and elegant.Special Features:
- My Richmond FavoriteHappyInChesterfieldDined on 3/21/2014Amuse at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is my favorite restaurant for any occasion. It's perfect for every occasion.Special Features:
- A real jewel in the museum!!GirlfriendsDined on 3/14/2014This will always be in my plans for every museum visit or even if nearby……...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All about the ambienceNoraDined on 3/12/2014For me, there is too much emphasis on strange combinations. I would like a couple of more ordinary choices on the menu. It's a bit pricey for the amount of food served. However, it is a most beautiful place to sit and have a nice coffee. The service is very good.Special Features:
- Great place for brunch!JonathanDined on 3/9/2014We went here on a Sunday afternoon for brunch and it was quite wonderful. The scene is calm and comfortable and the food is delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Artful Experience at AmuseAmusedGuestDined on 3/8/2014The venue is the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. And while museum style art is not featured in the restaurant the all glass front allows the diner to view the courtyard, architectually interesting buildings and art on the lawn. The food is consistently good and artfully presented. The service has also been consistenly good with a balance of formaility and friendliness. Food combinations sometimes go beyond the expected but always come out interesting and delicious. The wine list is adequate to meet most tastes. Desserts offer a wonderful finish. Truly a quality find in the middle of the Fan district. While there, join the Museum for a small fee and enjoy a discount on each meal. Recommend you try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic and engaging lunch spot!SassyDined on 3/8/2014I love the feel of Amuse. I feel as if I am in a "big city" lunch room. The mussels are always perfect! What fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have eaten at Amuse severalegoodDined on 3/7/2014I have eaten at Amuse several times in the past with a much better experience. Perhaps th regular chef was absent on this day.
- Crab cake "sandwich"OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/5/2014I have driven from Charlottesville twice in one month for Amuse's rendition of the crab cake sandwich, which uses crisply fried green tomatoes instead of a bun. Yummy! Server tried to remove my plate while I was still eating on the second trip. Service was much better on my first trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FinallyDutchJuulDined on 2/28/2014It is a shame to admit but this was our first time dining at Amuse. And we have missed out for a long time, because it was absolutely wonderful. The ambiance is elegant and trendy. The staff helpful and friendly. We had a great bottle of wine that was priced extremely well. The presentation of the food was very nice, and last but not least, it was delicious. We cannot wait to dine here again. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rabbit's placeRabbitDined on 2/28/2014My friends and I eat at Amuse once a year when we are in Richmond for a meeting. Amuse is one of the highlights of our trip. The food, service, ambiance are all top notch. Even making (and changing) the reservation was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to eat lunch at the AmuseRightDined on 2/24/2014Love to eat lunch at the Amuse because the noise level is so you can carry on a conversation and be heard. The food is wonderful and delicious. Love looking out the windows.Special Features: