Amsterdam Restaurant & Tapas Lounge
1207 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Amsterdam Restaurant & Tapas Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.amsterdamrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 662-6330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner and Tapas: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Late Night Menu: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 1:00am. Tapas Lounge Bar closes at 4:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Scott Jacobson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Monday through Friday 4-7p. Special Happy Hour Thursday 8p-12 midnight.
A word from Amsterdam Restaurant & Tapas Lounge
Amsterdam Restaurant & Tapas Lounge, a New American Fusion restaurant and lounge located on the Upper West Side across from NYC’s Historic Columbia University, reopened to the public in November 2004 with an all new modern and alluring decor including Free Wireless Internet Access. Executive Chef Michael Kalajian offers an inventive and diverse menu of culinary delights influenced by a fusion of Asian, Mediterranean and Latin cuisine. Boasting a bi-level dining room, two bars and a sleek downstairs Tapas Lounge, Amsterdam offers the best of both worlds. Restaurant and Nightlife Scene. Outstanding Food. Great Music. Stylish and Seductive Ambiance…The perfect place to bring a date, meet with friends, or wine and dine clients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amsterdam Restaurant & Tapas Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (2)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Chilling with the HomiesCupcakeLadyDined on 11/15/2014As a pre-birthday get together, 12 of us were seated in the lower lounge area. Lively DJ, good drinks, and fun crowd made the night worth it. This spot is great for having fun with no strings attached. This was our second outing at AL, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicelysurprisedDined on 10/6/2014Enjoyed very good food, excellent service and a relaxing ambiance on a Monday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/6/2014I've been going to Amsterdam Restaurant for the past few years. Initially drawn to it for its great happy hour drink prices, I was surprised at how good the food was. It remains easy to get a table here, and I've taken several friends there to enjoy a good meal in a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 74 reviews are from the Amsterdam Restaurant & Tapas Lounge reviews archive.
- Great spotLuv2eatDined on 7/1/2014This is a great spot near Columbia University - a really nice neighborhood restaurant with great food. Good menu choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night!AlphaNicoDined on 5/23/2014The staff were all very helpful. The food was amazing. But the best part of the night was the atmosphere! Amsterdam will become one of my regular spots. YOU should check it out!Special Features:
- Fun time.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Fun time with a group of 5. Good food and decent cocktails. The party in the lounge sounded like a real good time, but it was a private event and we opted not to be party crashers. Round table was great for conversation and laughter. Server was very nice and accommodating, except for refusing to let us order three different cheeses on the three different sliders in one order. Weird. Not seeing very many customers when we arrived made me think we were in a not so popular place, and it made for less ambience. But we made our own fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice in New YorkOlafDined on 10/21/2013Exzellent Tapas Bar in new york. Prices are reasonable and Food was delicious . So i can recomend. If You come by Tube you Have to walk through a park which has a Lot of Stars to climb. So take into Account if you have small children or lodern People with youSpecial Features:
- Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2013I was pleasantly surprise with the quantity and quality of the food. I was very happy with the great service and the overall experience. I would definitely return. After dinner, I also took the time to go downstairs to the lounge to watch the game and to have a drink.Special Features:
- Simple but Great BrunchNYCAviationVIPDined on 3/3/2013One of the best tasting deals for a brunch in the City.Special Features:
- Great tapas dishes; interestingendodocVIPDined on 2/22/2013Great tapas dishes; interesting items and great offerings of draft beersSpecial Features:
- Good place to eat, great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Good place to eat, great ambience and wonderful food optionsSpecial Features:
- The food was good, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013The food was good, the service excellent, everyone was friendly, and the menu prices are financially friendly. We had a group of 7 and everyone was very pleased. Parking is the only drawback and we got lucky!Special Features:
- Tapas excellent and fair sizeendodocVIPDined on 12/1/2012Tapas excellent and fair size portions Martinis were on the weak side Our favorite for pre-Columbia basketball diningSpecial Features:
- A very late night dining opportunitSlowFoodieDined on 11/24/2012Good food in an ambience-poor noisy venue with adjacent loud bar/disco. To it's credit the Tapas are excellent and they take dinner reservations at midnight--a difficult thing to find after theater/opera etc.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving Dinnner - Willmsar56Dined on 11/22/2012Thanksgiving Dinnner - Will return again Hidden GEM, and quiet .. great serviceSpecial Features:
- AMAZING TAPAS, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2012AMAZING TAPAS, great service. Worth the money. Will definitely go back.
- OK place. Liked the shrimpSaxmanVIPDined on 9/1/2012OK place. Liked the shrimp tacos for a light lunch.
- If you're tired of waitingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012If you're tired of waiting for a table for brunch at noisy, crowded Kitchenette, just walk down the street to Amsterdam Cafe. The ambiance is nothing earth-shaking, but the food is good, it's quiet, and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Celebrated my girlfriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012Celebrated my girlfriends birthday with friends and we,all loved it.Great place!Special Features:
- This is probably a great spotInkedFoodieDined on 7/11/2012This is probably a great spot during the school year since Columbia University is across the street. Came on a Wednesday night and since it's summer the place was dead. I think I was the third table in the restuarant. Overall the food and drinks were great. Ordered the thai martini which was good and the shrimp tacos were delicious.Special Features:
- Very nice for a casual brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Very nice for a casual brunch or lunch…great food for an affordable price! Went here for mother's day and my father and mother both enjoyed the laid back experience. The waiters were conscientious and attentive. Nice chill ambience to the dining area inside.Special Features:
- very nice place, good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2012very nice place, good food, good service, and nicely priced.Special Features:
- The restaurant was busy, extreemlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2012The restaurant was busy, extreemly loud and not very clean. There were two quite large groups and a couple of parties of 5 or 6. Diners were literally shouting full volume from one end of their tables to another. It was like being in a sports bar for Super Bowl. Very rowdy. especially for 7:30 in the evening.
- Limited selection of winesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/12/2012Limited selection of wines by the glass Service improved after we ordered a bottle of wineSpecial Features:
- The service was good and everyoneCaryncVIPDined on 11/29/2011The service was good and everyone is friendly. The food was okay. The bottle of wine that we had, a Malbec, was delicious. It's a little loud, but great if you're a student or visiting a student. It's really easy to park in this neighborhood so that's a big plus.Special Features:
- Great tapas and entrees.BrunchdinnerDined on 11/19/2011Great tapas and entrees. Though they gave us a large table just for a party of 5, they quickly re-grouped upon request, and re-seated us more accommodatingly. Overall, very good. I would go back again, and I would recommend to others.Special Features:
- Everything seems to be madeRKinNYCDined on 11/19/2011Everything seems to be made of stone and the noise bounces off it. The place is very noisy.
- Missed My ExpectationsHappy123Dined on 11/16/2011The food was good. I guess I expected better dishes because the menu read like there was a chef cooking, but the dishes lacked cohesiveness and had no flair. I felt like the expectation was created but not fulfilled.Special Features:
- food was delicious and menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2011food was delicious and menu was varied with varied choices. Salmon and steak entrees and banana bread pudding a must!Special Features:
- Food was good, service great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2011Food was good, service great. Lots of variety on menuSpecial Features:
- GREAT place to gather with a group!MamaDayDined on 4/8/2011Lively place in this Columbia neighborhood. The Tapas menu has loads of small plates, which makes this for a group. Specialty drink menu is fabulous too, with excellent choices, expertly executed. Like the white peach Sangria. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- We needed a quick bite beforeClassicStageGroupieVIPDined on 4/1/2011We needed a quick bite before a concert at the Manhattan School of Music, Amsterdam Tapas Lounge fit the bill. We let the server know of our tight schedule, and were guided to a wide array of good fast fare. Our table of four enjoyed delicious crab cakes, a very satisfying goat cheese with caramalized onion pizza, and a po'boy sandwich. The sandwich was perhaps the least successful item, the oysters were overbreaded and the accompanying fries oversalted. Good well priced happy hour draft beer, we'll be back for a more leisurely meal soon.Special Features:
- Most certainly a hidden neighborhooOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2011Most certainly a hidden neighborhood gem. Located across the street from Columbia U, I've passed this place dozens of times and never knew it. Now that I know it's there, I'll be going all the time. The food is delicious and innovative, especially the Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon. The decoration is lovely and warm and the presentation makes the food worth the wait. $5 Sangria's on Tuesday is the perfect end to a long day and the Sangria is very well made (if you're driving don't eat the fruit). A great place for a social get together.Special Features:
- The Amsterdam Omelette isSunshine525VIPDined on 2/19/2011The Amsterdam Omelette is amazing, and the rest of the menu also looks fabulous. I'll be back to try more.Special Features:
- The service and wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/21/2011The service and wait staff were very slow and very inatentive. The lunch entrees were cooked well but bland. The desserts were good.Special Features:
- Nice variety on the menu includingMauraDined on 12/18/2010Nice variety on the menu including great vegetarian options. Quality of food was excellent We ate there before a concert at the Cathedral. Service was prompt and friendly.Special Features:
- We came out for ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2010We came out for Thanksgiving Dinner with a party of 8 and we were pleasantly surprised with our overall experience. Across the street from Columbia U., this place could easily be missed from the outside. It was truly a find on the inside though. Our table managed to order a sampling of every entree on the prix fixe menu (which was 4 courses: appetizer, salad, entree, dessert), and the chef managed to make every dish as flavorful as home cooking could ever be. The prices didn't break the bank like some places attempted this holiday, and the coup de grace was that the kids "menu" was an offering of the adult menu in slightly smaller portions. I would recommend this restaurant to others in a heartbeat and look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- The guy that brought us toOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/6/2010The guy that brought us to our table & was waiting on us for the first half of our time was wrecking of cigarettes. It was so nasty. Other than that our experience was good.Special Features:
- The service was awful andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2010The service was awful and the food even worse. Don't go there
- This restaurant holds highOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2010This restaurant holds high sentimental value for me. I met my boyfriend there and we recently went back for our anniversary, where he proposed. The food was excellent. The vibe is hip, lively and romantic. I'll never forget this place.Special Features: