80 West Broadway
South Boston, MA 02127Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://amrheinsboston.com/
- Phone: 6172686189
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 11:30am – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 11:30am – 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Amrheins
Amrheins has been a Boston tradition since 1890. For over a century, diners throughout the city of Boston have been welcomed into Amrheins to enjoy quality meals amongst friends and neighbors. Today that tradition continues in our updated facility. Despite the renovations in 2005, Amrheins is still full of history. Amrheins is the proud home of the oldest hand carved bar in America and still has the first Draft Beer pump in Boston on display. But what really makes Amrheins special is its dedication to quality cuisine and superior service. We hope that you join us again soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Amrheins - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Amrheins reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)good for groups (44)great for brunch (26)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (20)vibrant bar scene (16)great for outdoor dining (15)kid-friendly (15)great for lunch (14)romantic (12)hot spot (9)late-night find (6)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A bit formal and notkrkaffDined on 10/16/2014The dining room is old school fancy but dress is casual. Extensive menus - reasonably priced and very nice food. Dedicated parking lot. What's not to like?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Waitress could have been a little more attentitive but the food was fantastic! Loud and hard to hear across from eachother at the round tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealScootersdfDined on 10/5/2014This has become my favorite restaurant both for the varied menu so I don't get bored and for the great service I consistently get. I keep bringing friends from other parts of Boston here and they all love going here. For this meal I had the sirloin steak which was prepared to perfection. Appetizer of calimari - wanted dessert but no room to eat it!! The service was outstanding and fun which enhanced the whole experience. This place deserves to be not just my neighborhood favorite, but one of my all time city favorites.Special Features:
- YWLam2VIPDined on 10/5/2014I went there on Sunday and I do not realized that they offered Sunday brunch . they have food displayed out in the middle of the restaurant but and it is easy to get all you wantded . the place is crowded and we sat next to a group of 15 people and it was nosiy . we can't enjoy the food and most of the food is coldSpecial Features:
- AmrheinsMortonsVIPDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant offers some gluten free options on the menu but is also knowledgeable and accommodating with other items on the menu. The pumpkin risotto was creative and delicious. Wish they would have left out the onions. The stuffed chicken breast was also yummy. They had flourless cake with whipped cream and raspberries as well as ice cream. Very nice finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodFamilytimetogetherVIPDined on 9/28/2014Nice selection of seafood and home style meals. Great taste. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerBigbaneDined on 9/25/2014Great anniversary dinner, then off to a show in the theatre district. Food was great, awesome drink selections and our waitress was beyond superb. Also the ease of parking makes us repeat customers, and we live 20 miles north of the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Lobster RollfoodloverDined on 9/16/2014Prices were reasinable and food exceptional! We were there for lunch. Great sweet potato fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to NormalMg13VIPDined on 9/15/2014Returned after my only bad experience in 14 years. It was great to see the normal Amrheins again. Great food and service!
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantBostonDinerVIPDined on 9/15/2014Amrheins is a charming South Boston staple. It has an old time feel, and the food is good. There are plenty of food options in the neighborhood, and while not the best of the lot, it is one of the better ones. The staff is friendly, and the seating comfortable.Special Features:
- Back to an old favoriteemvelezDined on 9/14/2014Amrheins was super busy Sunday night, do make reservations for weekends. It is definitely family friendly which is nice. The service was slow because it was so busy but the sweet waitress apologized. My steak was delish and the 2nd day too. Clam chowder a bit too thick. Would like butter with the rolls along with the olive oil and parm cheese. Tiramisu was enough for 2 and my husband brought home his coconut bread pudding and finished it the next night.Special Features:
- Ok with grouponbrunettehoundDined on 9/14/2014I used a groupon here and was happy I did. I don't think prices matched up to bugs flying around and waitresses who just didn't check in enough. Food was good though for dinner just not worth wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceMikeDined on 9/14/2014They are a tradition in South Boston, and prove it with consistency everytime we go. All the food was good,,, and the addition of a few new items was a nice surprise. If you go , share the Cookie Pot Pie for dessert - a bit over the top,,, but yummy!!!! Service was quick and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PCMADined on 9/13/2014The boston scrod is a bit pricy and plain, but the rib-eye steak and the prime ribs are pretty good.Special Features:
- great food and service!jolifishDined on 9/10/2014Me and my friend went for dinner using a groupon ... what a great deal! Had the bone-in rib eye - was huge and yummy! Also LOVED the veggie rissoto .... wish I could recreate that one! Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Difficult daylobster0Dined on 9/7/2014Although I have been to Amrheins in the past and found it good, I have to say that this particular dinner was not good at all. They seemed to be having problems in all areas that early evening and were out of filet mignon and rib eye steak by 5:30. Long wait to be served. On this day, I would say that the restaurant was a loud bar scene and not the way I remembered this restaurant to be in the past.
- GardenguyDined on 9/7/2014We had reservations for sixteen and seventeen showed up ---- no problem ! Great time had for Sunday brunch ! The parking lot was tight at 11 am which shows that reservations for Sunday brunch are encouraged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth traveling to get to.flangaDined on 9/6/2014We'd heard good things about Amrheins and traveled across town to eat there on a Saturday night. I had a steak; it was OK, but gristly; my date had a chicken breast that was very unevenly seasoned, as if the cook had just hurriedly thrown a handful of spices at the meat so that some areas were excessively coated while others were bare. It was a "meh" meal. If Amrheins was just down the block, I might go there simply for the convenience, but it's certainly not worth traveling for.
- Great ServicethetravelduoDined on 9/5/2014Had a really great server. Prime Rib was cooked properly and tasted delicious. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amrheim's has still got it!ScootersdfDined on 9/2/2014I've always loved this restaurant for its convenience (parking lot next door) and food, but the new menu is even better. The service has remained top notch and the evidence is clear - on a Tuesday night the place was jammed. I love the angel hair casinnelli with steak tips - just the right amount of food well prepared, and their chocolate cake is just superb. Their standby favorites of lobster mac and cheese and chicken pot pie and turkey dinner (still great) are still on the menu as are newer fare. Still a great bargain for the money and I'll be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Spotbigdaddy1719VIPDined on 8/31/2014Very good food with great service and free parkingSpecial Features:
- Consistently a great valueRobinVIPDined on 8/31/2014Sunday brunch has yet to disappoint my family and I. We have always enjoyed the variety of food that includes breakfast favorites as well as great ribs, wings and my daughters favorite mac and cheese. The desserts are always fabulous.Special Features:
- LorianneDined on 8/29/2014We were celebrating our 54th wedding anniversary. Everything was fantastic the food - the service - it was a very comfortable place to eat. Hope to back for brunch sometime soon.Special Features:
- Best place to eat in SouthieSouthieDined on 8/26/2014Best place to eat in Southie. Great for 1st dates, everything is priced reasonably for the area. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the trip!skimikDined on 8/24/2014Driving from Somerset, MA to Boston MA to find this gem of a restaurant. The 20oz Ribeye steak was very tender and the lobster mac and cheese was very good, a must if your spending a day in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticlobster0Dined on 8/24/2014We had two great meals. The food was fantastic . The waitress was very good .Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerLillianDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I went to Amhreins for wedding anniversary. Everything, from the watress to the food was outstanding. Will define toy recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:
- Great Food!bigdaddy1719VIPDined on 8/11/2014If you have time on a Sunday for Brunch this is the best local place to go. Free parking and the tariff for the Sunday Brunch is only $21.00. The brush has all the fixing along with carved ham,roast beef and omelets, hash and all the good stuff and a desert bar. Lets go.Special Features:
- Great find.Luv2dineDined on 8/9/2014Amrheins restaurant is a great neighborhood gem. The food was excellent and very tasty. I noticed large families coming in which tells me that groups are welcomed. The only thing we noticed was tht out waitress was nowhere to be found when we needed to refill our glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We traveled 2 hours as our son Cody had a 10:45pm flight back to Roda, Spain and requested Amrheins knowing this was Rory's family restaurant who he met in the Navy. We chose the patio for our 5:45 dinner reservation as the weather was glorious. Despite the busy Friday night, our server was friendly and attentive and had no problem with us being there for 3 hours. The only issue was our beef came medium instead of medium rare. Despite this, the flavor and quality were great. The charbroiled exterior was awesome on the ribeye, the tips had a delicious marinade, and the prime rib was extremely tender and flavorful. We will give the server or the cook a break for the error and we will try Amrheins again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good over allGoodoverallDined on 8/5/2014This was a reservation for a group of 10 for a special occasion, Tuesday night in the summer. Everything great except hostess and reservation, booked online then followed up with a phone call bc one member of our group was handicapped. Told on the phone that we would be inside. It was a very humid day. When we arrived early for our reservation, I was told by the hostess that we would be outside, that there was another large group inside. She said they tried calling me but I didn't pick up? I saw I had a missed call but no message. The hostess then said she just got there, she wasnt the one I spoke w, no apology, bit of an attitude. Good overall, excellent waitress, hostess not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I went to Amrheins for the first time because I found a Groupon for it. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the food, there were great summertime specials, and the service was great too. It was a Thursday night so not as busy as the weekend and we were able to stay at the restaurant for a couple of hours and were not rushed. I would recommend Amrheins and definitely go again!Special Features:
- Great Outdoor SeatingHockey12Dined on 7/26/2014We reserved a table for 10 outside, and showed up with 11. The staff quickly accomidated the additional party without any issue. Outdoor patio was perfect, and the service was excellent. Would definitly go back, loved my Seafood Alfredo, amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world Boston w/classic menubostonelsieDined on 7/20/2014Finally got around to trying Amrheins and wish I'd gone sooner. This place was established in 1890. I had the 18 oz. bone in rib eye and it was a great steak served with excellent mac 'n cheese in an iron crock that could have been an entree unto itself. Asparagus spears were also done right. A margherita pizza app was thin, cheesy, with fresh tomatoes and basil and a drizzle of balsamic. My husband had the Yankee pot roast. We took home as much or more food than we ate while there. Nice wine list in the high 20's-$40 range. Our server Holly was terrific.Special Features:
- A Southie GemBigJohnDined on 7/19/2014The staff made this out of towner feel more than welcome. The chowder was awesome and the food was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice mealkb11Dined on 7/19/2014The service was great. Our order came in a reasonable time, and the food was excellent. They even have someone in the parking lot helping you find open spaces. Our first time there, and we will go back.
- So solv2dDined on 7/16/2014It is my first time visit and I think will not go back shortly. I purchased groupon deal for giving a try, but the food quality were not worth the regular price on their menu.not so bad but not good too. I think it is a place that good for family neighborhood diningSpecial Features:
- Amrhein's brunch recommendedDinerDined on 7/13/2014We needed a convenient place for a brunch, central in location with parking and transit availability. We always enjoy Amrhein's for dinner -- the old favorites and the more contemporary menu items. Brunch is a bountiful buffet of a surprisingly high quality for a buffet. Enough variety for all pallets. The small omelets are perfect. Service was very attentive and competent. Amrhein's accommodated our large party very nicely and we enjoyed our relaxing and leisurely brunch. Highly recommended for Sunday Brunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerBetlametDined on 7/5/2014Food was good - large portions. We walked out stuffed! Atmosphere was nice and bar seemed active.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerBostonGrammyDined on 6/29/2014Service was great, baked scrod was delicious, summer special pasta was only OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 116 reviews are from the Amrheins reviews archive.