80 West Broadway
South Boston, MA 02127Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://amrheinsboston.com/
- Phone: 6172686189
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 11:30am – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 11:30am – 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Amrheins
Amrheins has been a Boston tradition since 1890. For over a century, diners throughout the city of Boston have been welcomed into Amrheins to enjoy quality meals amongst friends and neighbors. Today that tradition continues in our updated facility. Despite the renovations in 2005, Amrheins is still full of history. Amrheins is the proud home of the oldest hand carved bar in America and still has the first Draft Beer pump in Boston on display. But what really makes Amrheins special is its dedication to quality cuisine and superior service. We hope that you join us again soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Amrheins reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)good for groups (48)great for brunch (25)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (24)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (19)great for outdoor dining (19)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (8)hot spot (4)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Best place to eat in SouthieSouthieDined on 8/26/2014Best place to eat in Southie. Great for 1st dates, everything is priced reasonably for the area. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the trip!skimikDined on 8/24/2014Driving from Somerset, MA to Boston MA to find this gem of a restaurant. The 20oz Ribeye steak was very tender and the lobster mac and cheese was very good, a must if your spending a day in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We had two great meals. The food was fantastic . The waitress was very good .Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerLillianDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I went to Amhreins for wedding anniversary. Everything, from the watress to the food was outstanding. Will define toy recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:
- Great Food!bigdaddy1719VIPDined on 8/11/2014If you have time on a Sunday for Brunch this is the best local place to go. Free parking and the tariff for the Sunday Brunch is only $21.00. The brush has all the fixing along with carved ham,roast beef and omelets, hash and all the good stuff and a desert bar. Lets go.Special Features:
- Great find.Luv2dineDined on 8/9/2014Amrheins restaurant is a great neighborhood gem. The food was excellent and very tasty. I noticed large families coming in which tells me that groups are welcomed. The only thing we noticed was tht out waitress was nowhere to be found when we needed to refill our glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We traveled 2 hours as our son Cody had a 10:45pm flight back to Roda, Spain and requested Amrheins knowing this was Rory's family restaurant who he met in the Navy. We chose the patio for our 5:45 dinner reservation as the weather was glorious. Despite the busy Friday night, our server was friendly and attentive and had no problem with us being there for 3 hours. The only issue was our beef came medium instead of medium rare. Despite this, the flavor and quality were great. The charbroiled exterior was awesome on the ribeye, the tips had a delicious marinade, and the prime rib was extremely tender and flavorful. We will give the server or the cook a break for the error and we will try Amrheins again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good over allGoodoverallDined on 8/5/2014This was a reservation for a group of 10 for a special occasion, Tuesday night in the summer. Everything great except hostess and reservation, booked online then followed up with a phone call bc one member of our group was handicapped. Told on the phone that we would be inside. It was a very humid day. When we arrived early for our reservation, I was told by the hostess that we would be outside, that there was another large group inside. She said they tried calling me but I didn't pick up? I saw I had a missed call but no message. The hostess then said she just got there, she wasnt the one I spoke w, no apology, bit of an attitude. Good overall, excellent waitress, hostess not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I went to Amrheins for the first time because I found a Groupon for it. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the food, there were great summertime specials, and the service was great too. It was a Thursday night so not as busy as the weekend and we were able to stay at the restaurant for a couple of hours and were not rushed. I would recommend Amrheins and definitely go again!Special Features:
- Great Outdoor SeatingHockey12Dined on 7/26/2014We reserved a table for 10 outside, and showed up with 11. The staff quickly accomidated the additional party without any issue. Outdoor patio was perfect, and the service was excellent. Would definitly go back, loved my Seafood Alfredo, amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world Boston w/classic menubostonelsieDined on 7/20/2014Finally got around to trying Amrheins and wish I'd gone sooner. This place was established in 1890. I had the 18 oz. bone in rib eye and it was a great steak served with excellent mac 'n cheese in an iron crock that could have been an entree unto itself. Asparagus spears were also done right. A margherita pizza app was thin, cheesy, with fresh tomatoes and basil and a drizzle of balsamic. My husband had the Yankee pot roast. We took home as much or more food than we ate while there. Nice wine list in the high 20's-$40 range. Our server Holly was terrific.Special Features:
- A Southie GemBigJohnDined on 7/19/2014The staff made this out of towner feel more than welcome. The chowder was awesome and the food was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice mealkb11Dined on 7/19/2014The service was great. Our order came in a reasonable time, and the food was excellent. They even have someone in the parking lot helping you find open spaces. Our first time there, and we will go back.
- So solv2dDined on 7/16/2014It is my first time visit and I think will not go back shortly. I purchased groupon deal for giving a try, but the food quality were not worth the regular price on their menu.not so bad but not good too. I think it is a place that good for family neighborhood diningSpecial Features:
- Amrhein's brunch recommendedDinerDined on 7/13/2014We needed a convenient place for a brunch, central in location with parking and transit availability. We always enjoy Amrhein's for dinner -- the old favorites and the more contemporary menu items. Brunch is a bountiful buffet of a surprisingly high quality for a buffet. Enough variety for all pallets. The small omelets are perfect. Service was very attentive and competent. Amrhein's accommodated our large party very nicely and we enjoyed our relaxing and leisurely brunch. Highly recommended for Sunday Brunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerBetlametDined on 7/5/2014Food was good - large portions. We walked out stuffed! Atmosphere was nice and bar seemed active.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerBostonGrammyDined on 6/29/2014Service was great, baked scrod was delicious, summer special pasta was only OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!JohnVIPDined on 6/20/2014All was once again excellent! Food, service, etc.Special Features:
- WonderfulfireflyDined on 6/19/2014dinner at Amhriens with 1 of my uncles & (aunt) - up from the Cape, my son Sam (attending law school) and his girlfriend Jess (ft nurse) - We are in my hometown at the restaurant I ate many a night thru my childhood I shared with my grandparents, my grandmothers 2 sisters & my great grandmother. I missed some of the 'old favorites' but the food & service was wonderful!! So glad to keep coming back on my visits from Florida + you are still happy + vibrant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just oklilyDined on 6/15/2014Food was nothing special. The interior is nice but the music playing was obnoxious and out of place. Service was fine. It's very much a family restaurant so expect noisy babies.
- Excellent Service/Good FoodToniVIPDined on 6/13/2014I give the food good because some things we have there we love but other things just aren't done as well but always good. Our server was busy but you would never have know it, she was very attentive. Best service I have had in South Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeCruisers2Dined on 6/12/2014A vacation to Boston wouldn't be complete without a trip to this fine restaurant. The friendly staff made for a memorable experience. We also ate at Mul's Diner, across the street. Same owner fun for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groups!AmandaDined on 6/12/2014We had a group of 20 and they accommodated us greatly and service was great. They even having parking! Everyone had a great time and I'm sure we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ror 7NomoreseafoodDined on 6/11/2014Great shrimp cocktail and chicken wings gor starters...Pork chop was amazing....Seafood trio had frozen lobster..Lobster was the key problem....It was chewy and wassnt worth eating...Chicken Parm was delicious and plentiful..Special Features:
- Great neighborhood place!CurlsDined on 6/7/2014This was a great find. It was our 20th anniversary, so we wanted a comfortable place, but one with some character and especially good food. It was friendly and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Historic Boston RestaurantthetravelduoDined on 6/5/2014As we approached Amrhein's, we were a little skeptical as it looked too much like a bar (We did not want "bar food"!). Once inside, however, we really enjoyed the Boston Pub atmosphere combined with the nice restaurant atmosphere in the room where we had a table. Our server was great, the food was great and the amount of food was huge. We enjoyed the flatbread, the asparagus was cooked just right, and the steak was made to order. We will eat here again when we return to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S. Boston standoutWellsyankDined on 6/5/2014Amrheins is long time favorite in S. Boston with FREE parking. They take reservations, and are on time with reservations. Good menu- we had the steak tips and seafood alfredo. Portions are large, and steak tips were cooked (rare) perfectly! The seafood dish was also large with good lobster ravioli under the seafood. Service was excellent, and prices very fair. Only surprise- no bread or rolls with dinner???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of SouthieMg13Dined on 6/1/2014It continues to be a staple in South Boston Dining. Menu includes choices to make everyone happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedtheshakespearesDined on 5/23/2014Initially my interest was sparked by a Groupon offer, I quickly reserved the name before deciding to purchase. The menu sounded amazing along with beautiful pictures of the great eating space, I thought it would be great for our 5th wedding anniversary. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised to find such an urban placed location had a full parking lot! The service was friendly they gave us an amazing table in the private dining area that has gorgeous upscale decor with white table linens and round leather upholstered booths. It made for a wonderful intimate dinner. We were offered warm pretzel buns with a parmes an dipping oil. The bone in rib-eye steak was mouth watering. No steak sauce needed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jfieldingwDined on 5/22/20147 of the 8 of us had the scrod. It was perfectly cooked and tasted as fresh as if it had been caught that day. Outstanding! Great choices for sides.Special Features:
- The service was very slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/18/2014The service was very slow, even though the restaurant was not busy. The waitress took over 20 minutes just to take my order --and the first time she came over, she didn't inform me that there was no lobster and multiple options on the menu would not be served until after I requested the lobster pie. I ordered the meatballs, they were very large (so bang for your buck I suppose) but they were too salty in my opinion. I then had the chicken with the winter risotto. The risotto was a weird texture and the chicken was very dry. When my friends and I finished our dinner we had to wait forever for the waitress to return just to ask for the bill. We could have easily have dined and dashed because that how poorly we were attended to.
- Consistently Great Sunday BrunchRobinVIPDined on 5/18/2014Can't be beat for value and quality. My kids and I are sure to visit Amrheins at least once a month. A treat that we can all enjoy. Great food, service and free parking in Boston.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedJoliDined on 5/16/2014From the beginning, it was a terrible experience. We were seated near a large party. They were so loud that we couldn't even have a conversation without yelling. We got the chicken tender appetizer which was dry. We needed dipping sauce but our waitress didn't come over for about 20 minutes after the appetizer came over and it was too late. For my meal, I got the bone-in ribeye. Disgusting. It was over-cooked and all I could taste was the grill. The mac and cheese had no taste. On top of that, our waitress never came back after bringing our meal. Another waitress noticed we were growing impatient after sitting with our plates at the edge of the table for 25 minutes. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Needless to say, we won't be back.
- Dinner with the LadiesPurpleLadyEatsDined on 5/13/2014Had a wonderful time at Amrheins! We had a shared appetizer made with fries, beef, and sour cream. I had the grilled salmon with asparagus and broccoli, my friends had steak tips and salmon with a salad. We all shared the strawberry shortcake (lots of whip cream) and chocolate cake (both very large, next time just one. Had a great time an look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Mother's Day DinnerTriciaDined on 5/9/2014We went to Amrhein's to take my Mom out for Mother's day. We had great service our waitress was very attentive. The food was great too and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great all aroundRichardGereDined on 5/4/2014From the moment walk in... You receive a prompt service and seating. I was blessed to have a Mrs . Annie Ryan and my server... Attentive, witty, and acomidating. A real sweetheart and pleasure. The Chef stopped at table to request out opinion of cuisine, and drink service from Jess was without delay. Would define this as a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 97 reviews are from the Amrheins reviews archive.
- Good experiencerenieDined on 4/21/2014We were late for our reservation (post Boston marathon) and they figured it out. Very grateful for that. We were seated in the bar area. Noise level was very high - making conversation difficult. Cutting out or lowering the background music would have been a blessing! Server was excellent - attentive and caring. Food was good - loved the onion rings. Overall a good experience - excepting the high noise level.Special Features:
- Good food in SouthieAmandaDined on 4/17/2014We decided to try out this restaurant for the first time. Good selection of beers and food. Service was excellent - I would come back again.Special Features:
- Finally stoppedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/19/2014First time there after commuting past it to my downtown Boston office for decades--big mistake---I will be stopping at Amrheins more often in the future---friendly warm atmosphere--had a great chicken parm meal for $15---PaulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food at its finestCat1Dined on 3/17/2014This neighborhood gem draws me mainly for its homey atmosphere. The friendliness of the wait staff, the well prepared "comfort" food all add to a simple and sweet experience here.Special Features: