80 West Broadway
South Boston, MA 02127Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://amrheinsboston.com/
- Phone: 6172686189
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 11:30am – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 11:30am – 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Amrheins
Amrheins has been a Boston tradition since 1890. For over a century, diners throughout the city of Boston have been welcomed into Amrheins to enjoy quality meals amongst friends and neighbors. Today that tradition continues in our updated facility. Despite the renovations in 2005, Amrheins is still full of history. Amrheins is the proud home of the oldest hand carved bar in America and still has the first Draft Beer pump in Boston on display. But what really makes Amrheins special is its dedication to quality cuisine and superior service. We hope that you join us again soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Amrheins - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Amrheins reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (86)good for groups (54)fit for foodies (28)great for brunch (27)special occasion (22)kid-friendly (21)great for outdoor dining (20)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (16)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent Lobster RollfoodloverDined on 9/16/2014Prices were reasinable and food exceptional! We were there for lunch. Great sweet potato fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantBostonDinerVIPDined on 9/15/2014Amrheins is a charming South Boston staple. It has an old time feel, and the food is good. There are plenty of food options in the neighborhood, and while not the best of the lot, it is one of the better ones. The staff is friendly, and the seating comfortable.Special Features:
- Back to an old favoriteemvelezDined on 9/14/2014Amrheins was super busy Sunday night, do make reservations for weekends. It is definitely family friendly which is nice. The service was slow because it was so busy but the sweet waitress apologized. My steak was delish and the 2nd day too. Clam chowder a bit too thick. Would like butter with the rolls along with the olive oil and parm cheese. Tiramisu was enough for 2 and my husband brought home his coconut bread pudding and finished it the next night.Special Features:
- Ok with grouponbrunettehoundDined on 9/14/2014I used a groupon here and was happy I did. I don't think prices matched up to bugs flying around and waitresses who just didn't check in enough. Food was good though for dinner just not worth wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceMikeDined on 9/14/2014They are a tradition in South Boston, and prove it with consistency everytime we go. All the food was good,,, and the addition of a few new items was a nice surprise. If you go , share the Cookie Pot Pie for dessert - a bit over the top,,, but yummy!!!! Service was quick and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PCMADined on 9/13/2014The boston scrod is a bit pricy and plain, but the rib-eye steak and the prime ribs are pretty good.Special Features:
- great food and service!jolifishDined on 9/10/2014Me and my friend went for dinner using a groupon ... what a great deal! Had the bone-in rib eye - was huge and yummy! Also LOVED the veggie rissoto .... wish I could recreate that one! Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Difficult daylobster0Dined on 9/7/2014Although I have been to Amrheins in the past and found it good, I have to say that this particular dinner was not good at all. They seemed to be having problems in all areas that early evening and were out of filet mignon and rib eye steak by 5:30. Long wait to be served. On this day, I would say that the restaurant was a loud bar scene and not the way I remembered this restaurant to be in the past.
- GardenguyDined on 9/7/2014We had reservations for sixteen and seventeen showed up ---- no problem ! Great time had for Sunday brunch ! The parking lot was tight at 11 am which shows that reservations for Sunday brunch are encouraged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth traveling to get to.flangaDined on 9/6/2014We'd heard good things about Amrheins and traveled across town to eat there on a Saturday night. I had a steak; it was OK, but gristly; my date had a chicken breast that was very unevenly seasoned, as if the cook had just hurriedly thrown a handful of spices at the meat so that some areas were excessively coated while others were bare. It was a "meh" meal. If Amrheins was just down the block, I might go there simply for the convenience, but it's certainly not worth traveling for.
- Great ServicethetravelduoDined on 9/5/2014Had a really great server. Prime Rib was cooked properly and tasted delicious. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amrheim's has still got it!ScootersdfDined on 9/2/2014I've always loved this restaurant for its convenience (parking lot next door) and food, but the new menu is even better. The service has remained top notch and the evidence is clear - on a Tuesday night the place was jammed. I love the angel hair casinnelli with steak tips - just the right amount of food well prepared, and their chocolate cake is just superb. Their standby favorites of lobster mac and cheese and chicken pot pie and turkey dinner (still great) are still on the menu as are newer fare. Still a great bargain for the money and I'll be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Spotbigdaddy1719VIPDined on 8/31/2014Very good food with great service and free parkingSpecial Features:
- Consistently a great valueRobinVIPDined on 8/31/2014Sunday brunch has yet to disappoint my family and I. We have always enjoyed the variety of food that includes breakfast favorites as well as great ribs, wings and my daughters favorite mac and cheese. The desserts are always fabulous.Special Features:
- LorianneDined on 8/29/2014We were celebrating our 54th wedding anniversary. Everything was fantastic the food - the service - it was a very comfortable place to eat. Hope to back for brunch sometime soon.Special Features:
- Best place to eat in SouthieSouthieDined on 8/26/2014Best place to eat in Southie. Great for 1st dates, everything is priced reasonably for the area. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the trip!skimikDined on 8/24/2014Driving from Somerset, MA to Boston MA to find this gem of a restaurant. The 20oz Ribeye steak was very tender and the lobster mac and cheese was very good, a must if your spending a day in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticlobster0Dined on 8/24/2014We had two great meals. The food was fantastic . The waitress was very good .Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerLillianDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I went to Amhreins for wedding anniversary. Everything, from the watress to the food was outstanding. Will define toy recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:
- Great Food!bigdaddy1719VIPDined on 8/11/2014If you have time on a Sunday for Brunch this is the best local place to go. Free parking and the tariff for the Sunday Brunch is only $21.00. The brush has all the fixing along with carved ham,roast beef and omelets, hash and all the good stuff and a desert bar. Lets go.Special Features:
- Great find.Luv2dineDined on 8/9/2014Amrheins restaurant is a great neighborhood gem. The food was excellent and very tasty. I noticed large families coming in which tells me that groups are welcomed. The only thing we noticed was tht out waitress was nowhere to be found when we needed to refill our glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We traveled 2 hours as our son Cody had a 10:45pm flight back to Roda, Spain and requested Amrheins knowing this was Rory's family restaurant who he met in the Navy. We chose the patio for our 5:45 dinner reservation as the weather was glorious. Despite the busy Friday night, our server was friendly and attentive and had no problem with us being there for 3 hours. The only issue was our beef came medium instead of medium rare. Despite this, the flavor and quality were great. The charbroiled exterior was awesome on the ribeye, the tips had a delicious marinade, and the prime rib was extremely tender and flavorful. We will give the server or the cook a break for the error and we will try Amrheins again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good over allGoodoverallDined on 8/5/2014This was a reservation for a group of 10 for a special occasion, Tuesday night in the summer. Everything great except hostess and reservation, booked online then followed up with a phone call bc one member of our group was handicapped. Told on the phone that we would be inside. It was a very humid day. When we arrived early for our reservation, I was told by the hostess that we would be outside, that there was another large group inside. She said they tried calling me but I didn't pick up? I saw I had a missed call but no message. The hostess then said she just got there, she wasnt the one I spoke w, no apology, bit of an attitude. Good overall, excellent waitress, hostess not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I went to Amrheins for the first time because I found a Groupon for it. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the food, there were great summertime specials, and the service was great too. It was a Thursday night so not as busy as the weekend and we were able to stay at the restaurant for a couple of hours and were not rushed. I would recommend Amrheins and definitely go again!Special Features:
- Great Outdoor SeatingHockey12Dined on 7/26/2014We reserved a table for 10 outside, and showed up with 11. The staff quickly accomidated the additional party without any issue. Outdoor patio was perfect, and the service was excellent. Would definitly go back, loved my Seafood Alfredo, amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world Boston w/classic menubostonelsieDined on 7/20/2014Finally got around to trying Amrheins and wish I'd gone sooner. This place was established in 1890. I had the 18 oz. bone in rib eye and it was a great steak served with excellent mac 'n cheese in an iron crock that could have been an entree unto itself. Asparagus spears were also done right. A margherita pizza app was thin, cheesy, with fresh tomatoes and basil and a drizzle of balsamic. My husband had the Yankee pot roast. We took home as much or more food than we ate while there. Nice wine list in the high 20's-$40 range. Our server Holly was terrific.Special Features:
- A Southie GemBigJohnDined on 7/19/2014The staff made this out of towner feel more than welcome. The chowder was awesome and the food was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice mealkb11Dined on 7/19/2014The service was great. Our order came in a reasonable time, and the food was excellent. They even have someone in the parking lot helping you find open spaces. Our first time there, and we will go back.
- So solv2dDined on 7/16/2014It is my first time visit and I think will not go back shortly. I purchased groupon deal for giving a try, but the food quality were not worth the regular price on their menu.not so bad but not good too. I think it is a place that good for family neighborhood diningSpecial Features:
- Amrhein's brunch recommendedDinerDined on 7/13/2014We needed a convenient place for a brunch, central in location with parking and transit availability. We always enjoy Amrhein's for dinner -- the old favorites and the more contemporary menu items. Brunch is a bountiful buffet of a surprisingly high quality for a buffet. Enough variety for all pallets. The small omelets are perfect. Service was very attentive and competent. Amrhein's accommodated our large party very nicely and we enjoyed our relaxing and leisurely brunch. Highly recommended for Sunday Brunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerBetlametDined on 7/5/2014Food was good - large portions. We walked out stuffed! Atmosphere was nice and bar seemed active.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerBostonGrammyDined on 6/29/2014Service was great, baked scrod was delicious, summer special pasta was only OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!JohnVIPDined on 6/20/2014All was once again excellent! Food, service, etc.Special Features:
- WonderfulfireflyDined on 6/19/2014dinner at Amhriens with 1 of my uncles & (aunt) - up from the Cape, my son Sam (attending law school) and his girlfriend Jess (ft nurse) - We are in my hometown at the restaurant I ate many a night thru my childhood I shared with my grandparents, my grandmothers 2 sisters & my great grandmother. I missed some of the 'old favorites' but the food & service was wonderful!! So glad to keep coming back on my visits from Florida + you are still happy + vibrant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just oklilyDined on 6/15/2014Food was nothing special. The interior is nice but the music playing was obnoxious and out of place. Service was fine. It's very much a family restaurant so expect noisy babies.
- Excellent Service/Good FoodToniVIPDined on 6/13/2014I give the food good because some things we have there we love but other things just aren't done as well but always good. Our server was busy but you would never have know it, she was very attentive. Best service I have had in South Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeCruisers2Dined on 6/12/2014A vacation to Boston wouldn't be complete without a trip to this fine restaurant. The friendly staff made for a memorable experience. We also ate at Mul's Diner, across the street. Same owner fun for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groups!AmandaDined on 6/12/2014We had a group of 20 and they accommodated us greatly and service was great. They even having parking! Everyone had a great time and I'm sure we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ror 7NomoreseafoodDined on 6/11/2014Great shrimp cocktail and chicken wings gor starters...Pork chop was amazing....Seafood trio had frozen lobster..Lobster was the key problem....It was chewy and wassnt worth eating...Chicken Parm was delicious and plentiful..Special Features:
- Great neighborhood place!CurlsDined on 6/7/2014This was a great find. It was our 20th anniversary, so we wanted a comfortable place, but one with some character and especially good food. It was friendly and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.