246 E. 51st Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ammanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126448330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12:00pm-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Corporate meetings, weddings, birthday and parties of any kind. Parties of any size.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for all
- Private Party Contact: Anju Sharma 2126448330
A word from Amma
Amma, the name means "Mother", is an intimate restaurant and has the same soothing qualities. Opened in 2002 by Anju Sharma, is a gem tucked away on the upper east side of Manhattan, the stylish restaurant evokes images of spices, with its ochre colored walls and sensuous red-orange suede wrap-around banquettes. Art deco chandeliers and pristine linens complete the ambience. In a short period of time, Amma has received numerous accolades from the press. Amma was rated "Two Stars" by Mr. William Grimes of NY Times. At Amma, the wine list is updated on a weekly basis and is carefully chosen from 30 countries from around the world. Amma, shows its guest a different India, so old that it is fresh.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amma reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (26)special occasion (18)great for lunch (13)notable wine list (7)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great experience!GinabaVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was a new adventure for our group of 4. This is a quaint neighborhood place. We were a party of 4 and did the tasting menu and it was all amazing!!! What a great way to experience Indian food- when you aren't quite sure what to order. The Seabass was my favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a treatralgDined on 8/30/2014We had the vegetarian tasting menu, and each course was artfully prepared to please the senses. Looking forward to returning,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelente toda la comidaroqueDined on 8/27/2014Es nuestra 4 vez que vamos a este restaurante y SIEMPRE hemos comido excelente . La atencion es buena sin nada especialSpecial Features:
- Delicious Chicken Tikka MasalaAvNYfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014When it comes to Chicken Tikka Masala, I am extremely picky. I must admit Amma serves one of the best CTMs in town . Perhaps a little more spicer would make it a A+ CTM .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded, not great foodSSGGDined on 8/15/2014I went to Amma for restaurant week. The menu offered many items, more than any other Indian restaurant's prix fixe dinner menu. Amma was easy to miss, just a small door with a small sign. We had to walk up stairs to a door to enter. The restaurant was pretty crowded even before 6 pm on a Friday, possibly speaking to the quality of the food. We were seated right next to the front entrance, a little uncomfortable as entering patrons often swarmed our table. The food was all right - we ordered pakora and chaat, saag corn and paneer and cheescake. Everything was a little bland and naan tasted as if it had been sitting out. The rice portion was very small. Overall, I wouldn't try Amma again but it seems many people like it based on the crowds.
- one of our favesaugustwestDined on 8/15/2014In a city filled with many good Indian restaurants, Amma stands out for its excellent service and innovative presentation. All of the usual favorites here and a few unexpected offerings but they are served with a bit more flair than some other places. The entrance is a bit odd, but once you're through the door they will take good care of you.Special Features:
- Great foodTigerVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food here is always amazing just a bit cramped for spaceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Indian MealkatenycDined on 8/8/2014The food was tremendous and the staff could not have been friendlier. My husband came late and when he arrived, they brought out the soup course he had missed and rushed to get him a drink. Very nice place. I would go back again with friends or for a special occasion. Their "butter chicken" (chicken tikka masala) is like BUTTAH.Special Features:
- The quick brown fox jumps over theEasterDinnerDined on 8/7/2014The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dogSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/6/2014Loved this restaurant! Found it thanks to restaurant week but will go back over and over again. Though small they did not make me feel rushed though my dinner partner was delayed over 1/2 an hour! They waited patiently and made the evening enjoyable and the food was amazing!Special Features:
- Excellent lunchFrancesDined on 8/4/2014Loved it! So good. The food was fantastic and the service very helpful. Had a terrific time and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, courteous service!YummyYapDined on 8/4/2014The service was execellent and the food most delicious. Great selection for restaurant week lunch. Would definitely go there again.
- Has the potential to be much betterBeFoodieDined on 8/1/2014I went for dinner during restaurant week. The waiting area felt a bit cramped. The service was alright. I don't think I was satisfied with the food considering it was 38/person. The butter chicken and the lamb apricot were a bit on the sweeter side for me and my guests. The fish and hariyali chicken in the appetizers section were really good. I do want to mention that the service would be much better if the staff smiled and be more warm and inviting instead seeming a bit cold.
- foodiefridaDined on 7/30/2014WOW!!!! This is definitely a neighborhood gem! Food was delicious, and the service was outstanding! I will definitely return, and recommend to others!!! 5 stars! food4thoughtlizzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!wineislifeDined on 7/29/2014I was a bit skeptical at first when i read the reviews but nonetheless i still went. Thank god i went the food was absolutely amazing great food, great service.Special Features:
- Wonderful Indian Diningluv2doIndianDined on 7/27/2014We found this restaurant online and decided to try it based on the reviews and its rating. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the price was in line with NYC dining. They had a prix fixe menu which we tried and again were not disappointed. The ambience was nothing too brag about, but service was also excellent. We would definitely return on another trip to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodyDined on 7/25/2014The food was wonderfully delicious. The dining area was tight, yet comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful surpriseGiselleVIPDined on 7/19/2014Much nicer ambience than most Indian restaurants in this price range--cozy and romantic--and with delicious food. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKVFOODIEDined on 7/18/2014Amazing food, incredible service. Food took a tag long but worth the wait. I was never big on Indian food until eating at Amma's. A young college student like myself cannot afford to eat here very often but if I could I would. I would recommend the SalmonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!BlueeyedteachDined on 7/18/2014I discovered this restaurant years ago in TimeOut New York's food issue. I go there a few times a year and the food is always wonderful! The service is exceptional- the waiter remembers me and the food I like. The wine is great. The ambience is quiet and calm. Once inside on a cold winter night or hot summer eve you forget the hustle and bustle of NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/16/2014Wonderful place for excellent sophisticated Indian food in gracious and comfortable surroundingsSpecial Features:
- And I thought I wouldn't Like it!TheSilverSurferVIPDined on 7/15/2014Indian food is not one of my favorite types of food, and therefore,I was reluctant to go. But boy, was I wrong. I like every bit of my meal, and would not hesitate to go back. I am not well-versed in Indian cuisine, so I cannot compare this place to others. There was plenty of selection on the menu, with many appealing dishes. The food looked and tasted delicious. My dinner company knows this kind of food, and she agreed that the food was outstanding. Great service in a rather small, intimate, setting (more like eating in the parlor of someone's brownstone). A great dining experience from beginning to end. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Wonderful Tasting MenuALPSVIPDined on 7/8/2014Dinner for 3 at Amma. 2 had the non-vegetarian and 1 had the vegetarian tasting menu. Utterly delicious and excellent service. We will return. The restaurant is small and cozy. There were several large groups (tables put together) and so it was a bit noisy. But that is to be expected in NY.Special Features:
- Great Indian food in ManhattanEnglishhavingfuninUSADined on 6/22/2014We are from the UK & love hot spicy Indian food. The chef cooked our meals as requested and our party of four all enjoyed the dishes which we shared. Our waiter was very helpful and guided us through portion sizes. Amma is one of our favourite restaurants whilst visiting New York & this was our third visit. We would go more often but only visit for a few days whilst passing through once a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FuzzDined on 6/21/2014this place has the weirdest set up - you think you're entering an apt instead of a restaurant.
- scotsteveVIPDined on 6/21/2014Best traditional Indian food I have had in New York citySpecial Features:
- Best Indian in manhattanExperiencedVIPDined on 6/20/2014Title of review says it all. We return often and find the food consistentSpecial Features:
- FrazzledEasy2PleaseDined on 5/31/2014In Amma's small dining area, ten young people (8 women, 2 men) sitting at a table next to ours were intermittently very loud. Their frequent extended eruptions ruined what would have otherwise been a splendid evening for my guests and myself. Management did not ask the group to keep it down. It thus placed that table's enjoyment ahead of other guests'. Not right. I will not return to Amma, even though the food was superb.Special Features:
- 2nd time as good as firstluv2dineDined on 5/30/2014great service - staff top notch. manager/owners very nice. remembered me. food special, you can taste the quality, the ingredients and seasoning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We just loved itNewOrleanscoupleDined on 5/29/2014Thought we would try something different and went to Amma. The bean thing appetizers and samosas were so good. Then had chicken xacati? and shrimp (very spicy) dish. Both were really good. The fried okra dish is a must try. Good wine list as well. When they say it is hot, it is really hot. I think if you like Indian you will enjoy this restaurant a lot.Special Features:
- Yummi Chicken Tikka MasalaAvNYfoodieVIPDined on 5/28/2014One of the best Chicken Tikka Masalas in NYC , always super busy .Special Features:
- The following 832 reviews are from the Amma reviews archive.
- Not great. Not even close.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2014Food was ok. Service was very very slow. There was only two of us and we waited for 1 hour. The restaurant is very narrow so waiters have to constantly squeeze by.
- Suburb Indian FoodgoodeatsDined on 5/17/2014This was our second dinner at Amma. Just like our first this was a great experience. We enjoyed the tasting menu of six courses for $50.00, a real NYC value. Flavors were exciting and different. A definite must if you like Indian cuisine.Special Features:
- excellentNodoGDined on 5/13/2014Great small restaurant with a quiet atmosphere, friendly and attentive service and awesome food at a reasonable price. Will come back and recommendSpecial Features:
- Beyond Yummy IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/29/2014The food here is terrific, period! Go, enjoy, eat! You will not regret it! So fab, and such a great deal!Special Features:
- BestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014I think this is the best Indian restaurant in New York.Special Features:
- OverallGPLuVIPDined on 4/23/2014Food absolutely great, service sluggish, person confirming reservations on phone is impolite and does not rep restaurant well.Special Features:
- Good food served with poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014My girlfriend and I enjoyed the food. We are not Indian-cuisine experts, but it was a nice dinner. Wine (by the glass) was OK though a bit expensive (12$ for a NZ Pinot noir). As a Belgian/French wine enthusisast, the bottle wine list seemed interesting (but that was too much for the two of us). Service though was not very good. Definitely not customer-oriented. We left quickly after eating because we felt a bit uncomfotable. The atmosphere was OK but ony guy was shouting for the whole dinner on the table next to us. Price was OK, but don't go for extra rice (up to 22$/portion!!!). Overall, not a bad place to eat, but service to be improved!Special Features:
- Strange layoutMichaelVIPDined on 4/17/2014We want to Amma because it was highly rated on Trip Advisor. When you enter, you come right into the dining room, which is awkward because there is no place for people to wait for their table. The day we can was chilly and every time the door opened,the dining room would get a blast of cold air. Worse if a party of 4 came in and just lingered there with the door open. Service was ok. Food was not that great. My wife had the butter chicken which was very dry. Will probably not go back.Special Features:
- Still fave Indian restaurant in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/14/2014The lunch special is a great deal. Portions not large but just enough to not walk away feeling too full. The quality of the ingredients and preparation is stand out. Clean, fresh, delicious.Special Features: