246 E. 51st Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ammanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 644-8330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12:00pm-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Corporate meetings, weddings, birthday and parties of any kind. Parties of any size.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for all
- Private Party Contact: Anju Sharma 2126448330
A word from Amma
Amma, the name means "Mother", is an intimate restaurant and has the same soothing qualities. Opened in 2002 by Anju Sharma, is a gem tucked away on the upper east side of Manhattan, the stylish restaurant evokes images of spices, with its ochre colored walls and sensuous red-orange suede wrap-around banquettes. Art deco chandeliers and pristine linens complete the ambience. In a short period of time, Amma has received numerous accolades from the press. Amma was rated "Two Stars" by Mr. William Grimes of NY Times. At Amma, the wine list is updated on a weekly basis and is carefully chosen from 30 countries from around the world. Amma, shows its guest a different India, so old that it is fresh.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amma reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (33)romantic (24)special occasion (15)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (10)good for groups (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Best Indian FoodJillMVIPDined on 11/8/2014We visit NYC annually for a conference and ALWAYS make a reservation at Amma!Special Features:
- Indian TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Out of the way and hard to find the front door, but when you do - Wow! Like discovering a buried treasure - this chest is filled with impeccably prepared and presented Indian delights. I fought against the tasting menu and lost - glad I lost. Everything was spectacular. Will be back when in the City.Special Features:
- Wonderful food.HeidiVIPDined on 10/28/2014We enjoyed the non-vegetarian tasting menu very much. We would have liked more light in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Bad ExperiejneUnhappydinerDined on 10/27/2014We have eaten here 4 times and this time it was a disaster of gigantic .proportions. It seemed that the service staff could not figure out who was to servek us what. Total lack of continuity. We ordered one dish Of chicken and one of lamb. Both meats were so dry they were hardly palatable. Overall Avery unpleasant dining experience. We will not go there again.
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014Delicious, quaint, great food & wine! Would return. Small place, somewhat tight quarters, but they make it work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- baldicDined on 10/21/2014I have been to AMMA about a dozen times. Food is consistently high quality and service is outstanding. Never have been disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always excellentlikequieteniceplacesDined on 10/17/2014I have been having lunch at Amma on special occasions. The food is always excellent and you can choose from a variety of Northern Indian treats. With some wine (red) the food experience improves. I use it for special occasions among other things because the spacing between one courses allows for good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Indian FoodAlwaysHungryDined on 10/14/2014My friends and I were impressed by the wine menu at Amma to start off our night with a toast. The location is small, and was packed the entire time, but the staff and owner are attentive to all diner's needs. The food was tasty, and not too heavy at all. The kararee bhindi (crispy okra) was delicious as was the korma chicken with perfectly toasted naan. We will certainly dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amma ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Good food but horrible entrance and no host at door. Otherwise good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DorothyParker64Dined on 10/12/2014I was visiting NYC for the weekend and found Amma on Zagat. Because I couldn't decide what to have, I chose the fixed-price menu. Every dish was absolutely scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo slowFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/9/2014Amma was not especially busy the night we were there, so we could not understand why everything took so long. There was plenty of staff milling around. We wondered whether take-out orders were taking precedence. It was even difficult to get the check at the end of the evening. We kept asking, but without much luck. Our favorite bread is nan. Amma's was disappointing. It's a charming restaurant which makes a lovely first impression, but we will not be going back.
- An old favoriteExperiencedVIPDined on 10/8/2014Each time we go back we are struck by the quality of the food. Wish they had a bit more space between tables and the room was more tranquil.Special Features:
- One of the best Indian restaurantsCasa1031Dined on 10/8/2014Excellent food and service. One of the better Indian restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its all about the foodJimrunredDined on 10/5/2014Cramped , crowded, but the food is very well done Spiced perfectly Reasonably priced a good value Worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian food!!robekrisDined on 9/27/2014We asked our server for recommendations in the price range of the tasting menu and we got the best meal I've had in a while. Great service, beautiful place, quaint setting. Highly recommended, and get a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarinaVIPDined on 9/26/2014great Indian food. Good service and a small intimate place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WFBWIDined on 9/20/2014Great little Indian restaurant. We went with the tasting menu matched with wine this time. Divine. We'll always come back when in Manhattan.Special Features:
- rockstar Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014Amazing little hidden gem. Initially, concerned about the sketchy exterior, but once inside we exhaled. Surrendering to the recommendations of the well trained waiter proved amazing. Gastronomic splendor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Food and Nice ServiceHoward53Dined on 9/12/2014Excellent food overall. Highly recommend the grilled cheese as a starter. Excellent vegetarian main courses, including eggplant, cauliflower and okra, a real standout. Wait staff is very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great experience!GinabaVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was a new adventure for our group of 4. This is a quaint neighborhood place. We were a party of 4 and did the tasting menu and it was all amazing!!! What a great way to experience Indian food- when you aren't quite sure what to order. The Seabass was my favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a treatralgDined on 8/30/2014We had the vegetarian tasting menu, and each course was artfully prepared to please the senses. Looking forward to returning,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelente toda la comidaroqueDined on 8/27/2014Es nuestra 4 vez que vamos a este restaurante y SIEMPRE hemos comido excelente . La atencion es buena sin nada especialSpecial Features:
- Delicious Chicken Tikka MasalaAvNYfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014When it comes to Chicken Tikka Masala, I am extremely picky. I must admit Amma serves one of the best CTMs in town . Perhaps a little more spicer would make it a A+ CTM .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded, not great foodSSGGDined on 8/15/2014I went to Amma for restaurant week. The menu offered many items, more than any other Indian restaurant's prix fixe dinner menu. Amma was easy to miss, just a small door with a small sign. We had to walk up stairs to a door to enter. The restaurant was pretty crowded even before 6 pm on a Friday, possibly speaking to the quality of the food. We were seated right next to the front entrance, a little uncomfortable as entering patrons often swarmed our table. The food was all right - we ordered pakora and chaat, saag corn and paneer and cheescake. Everything was a little bland and naan tasted as if it had been sitting out. The rice portion was very small. Overall, I wouldn't try Amma again but it seems many people like it based on the crowds.
- one of our favesaugustwestDined on 8/15/2014In a city filled with many good Indian restaurants, Amma stands out for its excellent service and innovative presentation. All of the usual favorites here and a few unexpected offerings but they are served with a bit more flair than some other places. The entrance is a bit odd, but once you're through the door they will take good care of you.Special Features:
- Great foodTigerVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food here is always amazing just a bit cramped for spaceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Indian MealkatenycDined on 8/8/2014The food was tremendous and the staff could not have been friendlier. My husband came late and when he arrived, they brought out the soup course he had missed and rushed to get him a drink. Very nice place. I would go back again with friends or for a special occasion. Their "butter chicken" (chicken tikka masala) is like BUTTAH.Special Features:
- The quick brown fox jumps over theEasterDinnerDined on 8/7/2014The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dogSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/6/2014Loved this restaurant! Found it thanks to restaurant week but will go back over and over again. Though small they did not make me feel rushed though my dinner partner was delayed over 1/2 an hour! They waited patiently and made the evening enjoyable and the food was amazing!Special Features:
- Excellent lunchFrancesDined on 8/4/2014Loved it! So good. The food was fantastic and the service very helpful. Had a terrific time and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, courteous service!YummyYapDined on 8/4/2014The service was execellent and the food most delicious. Great selection for restaurant week lunch. Would definitely go there again.
- Has the potential to be much betterBeFoodieDined on 8/1/2014I went for dinner during restaurant week. The waiting area felt a bit cramped. The service was alright. I don't think I was satisfied with the food considering it was 38/person. The butter chicken and the lamb apricot were a bit on the sweeter side for me and my guests. The fish and hariyali chicken in the appetizers section were really good. I do want to mention that the service would be much better if the staff smiled and be more warm and inviting instead seeming a bit cold.
- The following 851 reviews are from the Amma reviews archive.
- foodiefridaDined on 7/30/2014WOW!!!! This is definitely a neighborhood gem! Food was delicious, and the service was outstanding! I will definitely return, and recommend to others!!! 5 stars! food4thoughtlizzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!wineislifeDined on 7/29/2014I was a bit skeptical at first when i read the reviews but nonetheless i still went. Thank god i went the food was absolutely amazing great food, great service.Special Features:
- Wonderful Indian Diningluv2doIndianDined on 7/27/2014We found this restaurant online and decided to try it based on the reviews and its rating. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the price was in line with NYC dining. They had a prix fixe menu which we tried and again were not disappointed. The ambience was nothing too brag about, but service was also excellent. We would definitely return on another trip to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodyDined on 7/25/2014The food was wonderfully delicious. The dining area was tight, yet comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful surpriseGiselleVIPDined on 7/19/2014Much nicer ambience than most Indian restaurants in this price range--cozy and romantic--and with delicious food. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKVFOODIEDined on 7/18/2014Amazing food, incredible service. Food took a tag long but worth the wait. I was never big on Indian food until eating at Amma's. A young college student like myself cannot afford to eat here very often but if I could I would. I would recommend the SalmonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!BlueeyedteachDined on 7/18/2014I discovered this restaurant years ago in TimeOut New York's food issue. I go there a few times a year and the food is always wonderful! The service is exceptional- the waiter remembers me and the food I like. The wine is great. The ambience is quiet and calm. Once inside on a cold winter night or hot summer eve you forget the hustle and bustle of NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/16/2014Wonderful place for excellent sophisticated Indian food in gracious and comfortable surroundingsSpecial Features: