Américas River Oaks
2040 West Gray, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Américas River Oaks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cordua.com/
- Phone: 8322001492x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm;
Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Michael Cordúa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cordúa has taken the best of his portfolio along with the most talented staff in event planning and hospitality to create a contemporary “one-of-a-kind” event production company.
Combining the flavorful cuisines of North, Central and South Americas with progressive techniques and European discipline, MjC Events delivers the food Houstonians have loved for years with the impeccable service and hospitality you’ve come to expect from Cordúa Restaurants. With remarkable attention to detail, at your location or ours, our Event Managers will help you create your dream experience!
- Private Party Facilities: Teamed once again with architect Jordan Mozer, Américas River Oaks highlights and celebrates the gifts the Americas gave to the world, its native ingredients and tropical tapestries. Located in the heart of River Oaks Shopping Center, Américas is ideal for your next event. Whether you are in need of a private space for a business meeting in the Macondo, a celebration in the Alegrias, a quaint private dinner in the Corazón or the entire restaurant for your upcoming holiday party, our event managers welcome the opportunity to create a memorable experience for you and your guests!
- Private Party Contact: Darla Hickman 7139610911x
A word from Américas River Oaks
The third incarnation of Américas, the global culinary experience from famed chef and restaurateur, Michael Cordúa, is now open in the heart of River Oaks. Partnered once again with celebrated architect and designer Jordan Mozer, who brought his outstanding talent and vision to the original Américas in 1993, Américas River Oaks will be a unique dining experience that represents the weaving of South, Central and North American cultures and cuisines—from Alaska to Chile. Cordúa, whose reputation as one of the leading proponents of authentic Latin cuisine, returns to his foundational roots and creates a stage to showcase the yummy foods that the Americas have given to the world. Continually blazing a trail of New World cuisine that keeps critics raving, FOOD & WINE recognized Cordúa as one of the pioneers of the modernization of Latin cuisine when naming him into the Hall of Fame: 50 Best New Chefs of all time in 2008.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Américas River Oaks reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (192)romantic (136)fit for foodies (132)good for groups (98)great for brunch (76)hot spot (69)notable wine list (61)great for lunch (58)neighborhood gem (58)vibrant bar scene (46)late-night find (17)scenic view (17)great for outdoor dining (15)kid-friendly (12)Show More
- Great for dinnermarleneDined on 8/30/2014The service was awesome. Our waiter was very attentive without being overbearing. We chose from the restaurant weeks menu and really enjoyed all 3 courses. Easy parking and a nice short walk to River Oaks Theatre made this the perfect choice for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceLagosgirlVIPDined on 8/28/2014We had a work lunch here recently and many of the party had not been here before. The Ceviche flight is always very popular as well as the steak lunch choices. One of the steaks was over cooked and they brought the person a separate plate of rice, lentils, yucca, etc to have while they waited for their dish.Special Features:
- Amazing food AND serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Love everything about Americas!!! Free valet, friendly staff, awesome food and very interesting atmosphere! Always enjoy my visits here for dinner OR lunch! Awesome!!Special Features:
- Very nice dinnerJbrayVIPDined on 8/26/2014Brought a group of co-workers here for a special dinner. The food and service were excellent. My only complaint is that we requested a quiet table and were seated in the middle of the main dining room, which made it difficult to talk among our group.Special Features:
- Birthday DudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014I took my wife and her parents to Americas for my wife's birthday dinner. Americas has always been a special occasion place for us. First when we got there the greeters were disorganized. They were looking for my name and am not really sure if he every found it but sat us anyway. Well it turns out that the person who greeted us was our waiter as well. Our waiter was not very good at all. He left us sitting there many times to where we had to ask other waiters where our waiter was. He had no other personality and when we ordered did not explain the menu. We overheard all the other waiters around converse with their guests but not ours. I felt bad because she and I were looking forward to a great dining experience but did not get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tHEY COULD DO BETTERPOWELL123456Dined on 8/24/2014STAFF SEEMS TO BE HANGED OVER. HOSTES WAS VERY RUDE. WE ASK FOR THINGS SUCH MENU AND HE INSISTED WE SHOULD GET BRUNCH. IS CHOICE CUSTOMER WHAT TO EAT. SUGESTING IS SUGESTING NOT FORCING. SITTING WAS HORRIBLE. WE ASKED FOR BETTER TABLE AND IT WAS DENIED. I FOUND A MOSQUITO ON MY MILK, RETURNED AND NO APOLOGY GIVEN NOT THAT I CARE BUT THE THING WAS THAT THEY NEVER BROUGHT MY MILK FOR COFFEE. ORANGE JUICE OVER PRICE WHEN IS A TAMPICO ORANGE JUICE. ONE VALET ASSISTANT FOR 200 GUEST. LITTLE BIT ANOYING WAITING UNDER SUN FOR 20 MINUTES.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014As usual, Americas was wonderful The portions were generous and food excellentSpecial Features:
- Exceptional service, terrific food!LynneR912Dined on 8/23/2014Went during Houston Restaurant Week - what a great experience! Service = outstanding, menu choices = excellent, food = perfectly prepared and served. It was our anniversary, they brought celebratory glasses of champagne - a lovely touch!Special Features:
- HRW ReviewHRW14Dined on 8/23/2014Great menu for HRW! Out waitress made great recommendations and was very patient. once the food started coming out it was paced very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeSuperstarDined on 8/23/2014I absolutely LOVE the decor, & the restrooms are BEAUTIFUL!!:-)Special Features:
- Excellent LocationLatino1Dined on 8/22/2014the food was incredible. If you enjoy latin fusion food this is definitely a place for you.Special Features:
- Americas River Oaks Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014We went to Americas River Oaks for Restaurant Week in Houston. Some waiters at other restaurants look down their noses on people "dining on the cheap" but not here! We had excellent service and the food was also very good. I especially liked the idea of the $5 glasses of wine that complemented the food. Don't miss the interesting bathrooms while dining here.Special Features:
- One word, CHURRASCOHtxlove2dineDined on 8/21/2014Had their Carnitas Pibil & Beef Tenderloin taquitos to start. Very delicious! (ask for the spicier habanero salsa) The churrasco is their signature dish, & it's the best tasting tenderloin I've had. Finished it off with their Alfajores!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAlways2hungryDined on 8/20/2014The banana chips are very good. My meal was very good, the desert Tres Leches was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceShoxVIPDined on 8/20/2014Poor and uncoordinated service. Mediocre food. Valet slow and disorganized.
- Bad food, Romantic atmosphereNeveragainDined on 8/19/2014My girlfriend had raved about how this place had the best steaks. When I went with my husband, I was looking forward to trying their signature steak paired with their private labeled wine. I even got the largest 12oz size. My water was almost empty for a majority of my meal time and my waiter didn't offer to do anything when I told him after the first bite that the steak was mushy. The tuna appetizer was good. Dessert was soaked in sweetness and not edible.Special Features:
- Endless Bloody Mary's!DonnaBellVIPDined on 8/17/2014Abundant buffet-delicious! All the favorites included in a lavish spread including an omelet and waffle station. Mimosas, Mojotos, Bloody Mary's $12.99 endless! Great for entertaining a group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmericasraquelDined on 8/16/2014You can never go wrong with Americas. Starting from the free plantains with dip, every course after is never average. Everything about it is great!Special Features:
- started off well but went downhilldancergirbookwormDined on 8/15/2014I was excited for my first trip to Americas with my family. We had a reservation at 7:30 and were seated promptly. Initially the service seemed excellent, but after our waiter introduced himself, it went downhill from there. Once we had placed our food order, I don't think we saw our waiter again until he brought us the bill. He never checked to see if our food was OK and I was unable to order another glass of wine because we never saw our server again until the end of the meal. Since this is my first and probably last time to visit this restaurant, I can't say if this type of service is typical. But I can say that I won't return to this particular Americas. My family spent too much money to receive such poor service.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The churrasco is not a top 20 steak. The server was a B with no consideration and a lack of smiles. A bit noisy inside but not overwhelming. The empanadas were amazing. The ambience of the restaurant is what saves this review.
- America's for Restaurant WeekRisajDined on 8/15/2014America's chose to stay with the $35.00 dollar Dinner option instead of the new $45.00 one. The menu offerings at this price are really nice and we enjoyed each course and the wine pairings very much. The wine pairing is also at a discounted glass price from regular wine menu pricing...I asked if it was a smaller tasting pour...nope full pour just discounted for the Special Menu for Restaurant Week! Very Nice. From the Valet to the Reception area to the Server - the staff is friendly, outgoing, very unpretentious, and makes one feel right at home in this Beautiful setting. I am very pleased we chose America's for our Friday Night Restaurant Week dining experience and plan to be a regular from now on.Special Features:
- HostessGreatDined on 8/15/2014The only problem I had was the hostess at the front desk. She was on the phone and not once acknowledged me standing in front of her. After a few minutes I sat down. It was at least 15 minutes before she offered to help me. That is not a good way to start lunch.Special Features:
- Definitely check out HRW menu!EKHoustonDined on 8/14/2014We went for Houston Restaurant Weeks. You gotta try it - the selection is so much more extensive than most HRW menus. PLUS they have excellent wine pairings for a steal. Everything we had was awesome. Angel Wings, Tuna Ceviche, Lomo y Mar, Carnitas, Alfadores, Tres Leches. My favorite dish of the evening was the Carnitas, but only by a slim margin. Loved it all!Special Features:
- First timemateo98Dined on 8/13/2014first time I went to Americas. Everything was excellent. no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NanouDined on 8/12/2014We loved the decor annd the privacy of the tables. The service is very friendly and the food good. I recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great Customer EventSalesguyDined on 8/11/2014Food was perfectly prepared. Many of my guests said it was the best Tres Leches and beef they have ever had. The waiter was very engaged and funny. Pedro made great recommendations and the rest of the staff was constanly filling up and taking care of us. The prices were resonable for the quality of food received. I will be back next time I am in Houston.Special Features:
- Good Food but Lacking SaltPctechnocratDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I recently visited America's for Houston Restaraunt Week. The portion sizes were good for one, filling but not texas sized. My wife was happy with her meal, beef and shrimp. I was satisfied with mine - Churasco Steak, but overall I felt it was lacking salt, I am generally not a salt heavy person but there are no salt/pepper shakers on the table.Special Features:
- Weird in a good wayJonathanGoldWannabeDined on 8/9/2014The food is great here; from the empanadas to the Churrasco steak to the sauces (can't get enough of the chimichurri sauce!) but the restaurant as a whole is a little weird. It looks like Beetlejuice tried his hand at interior design. Eyeball mirrors, large arching furniture, and random lounge chairs to name a few. Overall definitely tasty but pretty odd.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great vibrant atmosphere. Great food. Not exactly a "relaxing meal". A lot of activity - felt like we were rushed to "turn the table". Food is always excellent. Fun, place, a tad bit loud had a hard time hearing my dining partners. Had three people in my party and sat at a table for 7. Not sure why that happened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HRWlolob96Dined on 8/8/2014Went for Houston Restaurant Weeks. Food was great and nice portion sizes. Our service was excellent! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Americas let me downCharcharDined on 8/8/2014I was very disappointed during my last visit to Americas. I've been there a few times before and I've always loved the food and ambiance. Everything was just fine except for one key point....I never recieved my food!!! As it was a Friday night I knew they were very busy but after an hour and a half from the time I sat down I felt it was just a way to long to wait. I believe the waiter never put in our order. I observed the surrounding tables, one of which was seated after me, recieve their appetizer, entrée and dessert and I had recieved just an appetizer after an hour of waiting. Though this experince was poor I would still visit Americas in the future as I have experienced much better service before, plus I do love the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every way!htownfoodieDined on 8/8/2014The food is incredible. We have ordered several dishes, and never been disappointed. My absolute favorite is the Tres Leches cake. Do not miss! The ambiance is very upscale, with unique decor and low lighting.Special Features:
- wonderful all aroundjamesmc2006Dined on 8/8/2014Everything about this restaurant was perfection!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodPearlandDined on 8/7/2014Went here for a girlfriends celebration and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A consistent favorite!GCHoustonDined on 8/7/2014Took my work group out for a celebratory lunch during restaurant week. It was the first time for many and they we impressed with the fun décor and wonderful range of choices on the lunch menu. We were seated at one of the leather-sculpted tables, which is always special. Service was great and the food was awesome. It was such a great value. I casually noted that I missed the bread bowl that typically comes with their signature black bean soup. While only a minor disappointment the manager came over to personally extend his apologies and provide complementary dessert for the table. That gesture so greatly impressed the group that they all planned to come back for the great food, wonderful atmosphere, and outstanding service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014The restaurant décor is very impressive. The ambience exclusive. The food was outstanding and the service very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant weeklovediningDined on 8/4/2014We tried this restaurant when we saw it on houston food bank restaurants. We had the three course meal. It was really great and enjoyed it. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantHfoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Amazing ambience, incredible Latin american food and a great wine list. I recommend it to anyone visiting Houston who is looking for a great place for lunch and/or dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Las AmericasHungry713Dined on 8/2/2014Didn't like the new menu change. Made me feel like I was eatting at a chilies or an Applebee's with the 3 course meal idea. There's a lot of good food that isn't there anymore, the portions are smaller, the prices have gone up. The bottle of moscato was $30-39 now it's $48. Now for the appetizers. There known for there empanadas. We'll say goodbye to the trio of the beef chicken and seafood. Now it's beef chicken and a small piece of plantain filled with a dry cheese on a top of a black bean spread. They use to fill it with melting cheese. Becoming cheap an skimping on us. Just not satisfied I didn't get my monies worth like I use to at Las Americas. I love that restaurant but if this keeps up I will find another restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date nightOneHappyCustomerDined on 8/2/2014A real treat! The decor was beautiful! We love the food.Special Features: