Américas River Oaks
2040 West Gray, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Américas River Oaks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cordua.com/
- Phone: (832) 200-1492
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm;
Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Michael Cordúa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cordúa has taken the best of his portfolio along with the most talented staff in event planning and hospitality to create a contemporary “one-of-a-kind” event production company.
Combining the flavorful cuisines of North, Central and South Americas with progressive techniques and European discipline, MjC Events delivers the food Houstonians have loved for years with the impeccable service and hospitality you’ve come to expect from Cordúa Restaurants. With remarkable attention to detail, at your location or ours, our Event Managers will help you create your dream experience!
- Private Party Facilities: Teamed once again with architect Jordan Mozer, Américas River Oaks highlights and celebrates the gifts the Americas gave to the world, its native ingredients and tropical tapestries. Located in the heart of River Oaks Shopping Center, Américas is ideal for your next event. Whether you are in need of a private space for a business meeting in the Macondo, a celebration in the Alegrias, a quaint private dinner in the Corazón or the entire restaurant for your upcoming holiday party, our event managers welcome the opportunity to create a memorable experience for you and your guests!
- Private Party Contact: Darla Hickman 7139610911x
A word from Américas River Oaks
The third incarnation of Américas, the global culinary experience from famed chef and restaurateur, Michael Cordúa, is now open in the heart of River Oaks. Partnered once again with celebrated architect and designer Jordan Mozer, who brought his outstanding talent and vision to the original Américas in 1993, Américas River Oaks will be a unique dining experience that represents the weaving of South, Central and North American cultures and cuisines—from Alaska to Chile. Cordúa, whose reputation as one of the leading proponents of authentic Latin cuisine, returns to his foundational roots and creates a stage to showcase the yummy foods that the Americas have given to the world. Continually blazing a trail of New World cuisine that keeps critics raving, FOOD & WINE recognized Cordúa as one of the pioneers of the modernization of Latin cuisine when naming him into the Hall of Fame: 50 Best New Chefs of all time in 2008.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Américas River Oaks reviews from OpenTable diners
257 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (172)romantic (118)fit for foodies (117)good for groups (97)hot spot (67)neighborhood gem (48)great for brunch (45)great for lunch (44)notable wine list (43)vibrant bar scene (37)great for outdoor dining (16)late-night find (15)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (11)Show More
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Great food, great service, great ambiance. First visit to this location, but we will definitely be back. A great, unique place to take out of town guests looking for something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancynAlDined on 11/15/2014we had dinner saturday night for our anniversary (12 years) and as always the service is spot on and the food is outstanding. now i know there are several fine dinning establishments in houston, but we have been coming to America's for about 9 years and it seems to be better each time. thanks for the experience,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/15/2014Our first time here, we had a great experience. Loved each dish we ordered from start to finish. Appreciated that there are many nice bottles of Malbec on the wine list in the $40 range. Our server (I think his name was Jesse) was fantastic. I was not a fan of the fabric treatments hanging from the ceiling lights (they look dated) but the good thing about them is they control the noise. It was nice to have a normal conversation without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- polivaresDined on 11/14/2014Very Enjoyable! The service was impeccable, and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodwildhareVIPDined on 11/12/2014The food was predictably great. The ambiance was nice until the sound system was turned inexplicably, making the background music over-bearing, making it very difficult for our party of 8 to talk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive designRussianVIPDined on 11/8/2014I was impressed by original idea they used to design furniture and ambiance in general. Amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentfoodie23Dined on 11/8/2014I've been to Americas many times, and it never fails! I brought my parents this time and they were so impressed. Great bartender, great waiter, amazing food - get the paella!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating to allergiesetenliefdeDined on 11/7/2014Server and chef were quite accommodating to make all items dairy-free and offer alternatives when not possible. Food and drinks were delicious as always. Service was mediocre as is also par. Did not feel forgotten, but had to chase down the waiter a couple of times and he seemed flustered; however it was a very busy evening and he was slammed, no doubt. Would still recommend and will go again!Special Features:
- Always amazingJulesVIPDined on 11/4/2014I dined with friends last night and celebrated my birthday. It was very special and loved the tres leches presentation!Special Features:
- Love the AmericasDTHoustonDined on 11/4/2014This is one of my favorite places in Houston. I love to bring guest from out of town because the food and decor are so different. It is a real treat and always delicious. I highly recommend the America's.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantPleasedDined on 11/3/2014Interesting decor and well prepared food. Worth a repeat visit.Special Features:
- Impromptu dateJacobVIPDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I decided to have dinner here after a long day of classes. We went for an early dinner around 5:30 pm. It was quiet in the restaurant which was relaxing. The server was attentive. The food was delicious as usual. We will continue to come here.Special Features:
- America's DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014I tried the chef's selection. I forgot the name of the soup but it had muscles and crab. The 4 course dinner followed paella. It was delicious very well balanced and seasoned. 3rd course was filet mignon cooked medium as requested. Veggies as steak properly seasoned. Dessert was 3 leches brought out with a fire show to the table. Well done Americas tge food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best Halloween everryanDined on 10/31/2014I took my girlfriend here for Halloween and it was our best Halloween yet great food and service we will be back soon and next Halloween for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ceviche!ApoloDined on 10/25/2014Overall, I enjoyed the taste of the Latin cuisine. The ceviche is the best choice. Also, the tres leches is a nice option for desert. The service is great.Special Features:
- OutstandingPleasedDined on 10/20/2014Wonderful variety of dishes - loved the steak specialty of the house. Cooked to perfection. Fast service-attentive waiter.Special Features:
- Wonderful!HappyDinerDined on 10/11/2014We had a wonderful time at Americas River Oaks. I found the décor a little strange (it looks like overgrown popcorn on the walls), but the food is fantastic and the service was superb! Our waiter made us feel like we were the only diners in the restaurant. If it wasn't for the screaming child near by, the evening would have been perfect and my bar bill not so big!Special Features:
- Excellent!MaryDined on 10/10/2014Celebrated our wedding anniversary here. Food,service, everything was excellent! Will definitelly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last night in HoustonReneeDined on 10/6/2014We had a wonderfull diner at the last night my sister and her son stayed in Houston. The food was good and they loved the ambiance.Special Features:
- Good foodfoodlover4lifeVIPDined on 10/4/2014We dined a Saturday aboout 6pm. Our server was kind of weird and he was just talking with all thw other servers most of the time. The food was great but the plantains disappointed us this time around. We had been to Churrascos a while back and the plantain chips were warm and crispy, but here they were a bit cold. The food was good but it was almost the same menu as Churrascos - yes I know the places are owned by the same chefs but we went thinking maybe we had more to see from the chefs. Overall ot was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPopeyeVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food really is superb! The flight of ceviche is superb, as is the crab capprichiosa, the lobster corn dogs and the filet churrasco. Wine prices could be a tad lower though.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerLittleJamDined on 10/3/2014The ambience and character of Americas is wonderful. All of our meals were delicious. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Love Americas!DateNightLoverDined on 10/3/2014Americas is my favorite restaurant in Houston! The whole Cordua chain is amazing. My husband and I had our wedding at Artista. But we love Americas for a special occasion dinner. The restaurant has great ambience, it's very fancy but without having to wear a cocktail dress and suit (unless you want to). The food is outstanding. Never disappoints! Lamb lollichops and empanadas are our favorite appetizers. My husband always gets the famous Churrasco, and I always end up with their seafood special. The service is always great, and the flambé tres leches is always a fun end to the experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful LuncheonedwardlaaseVIPDined on 10/1/2014I decided to take my beautiful wife to a romantic lunch after a late morning appointment we had. What better place than Americas. The restaurant design is very eclectic and gives the place a special ambiance. The menu selection is positively mind boggling with all of the choices. Having said that I chose and off menu item of Churrasco Steak and grilled shrimp. As you would expect from a restaurant with a strong Argentine influence the steak was tender and delicious. The shrimp added a nice touch to complete the meal. My beautiful wife dined on the empanadas. She was equally pleased with her meal. We enjoyed so much we have made plans to return for their Halloween Costume Party!!!Special Features:
- Amazing food, Horrible ServiceSCHKDined on 9/30/2014This place had seriously insanely awesome food - the empanadas, the paella, the lamb, the fish...so good!! And don't even get me started on the desserts - that tres leches cake was to die for! However, the entire experience was completely marred by the terrible service - specifically how Loooong it took for food to come out. The servers were extremely polite and very attentive but it just took soooo long for food to come out. V v frustrating and really really affected the experience. Looking on Yelp, it seems that most people had the same experience as me and the restaurant really needs to rethink their wait times if they want to take their restaurant to the next level. Lots of potential that is being wasted right nowSpecial Features:
- Great valueVictorDined on 9/28/2014Rather than spending time and money on all Cordua's restaurants, the brunch gives you all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!WineNDineDined on 9/27/2014I came here for the second year in a row for my birthday. The food is great and this time we got a private room that i didn't even know it was an option. My family and I were able to all chat and laugh without feeling like we might be bothering others. It was very intimate and a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KPJacksonHillDined on 9/27/2014Whether it be the Galleria or River Oaks locations, the food and service is consistently good. The homemade sorbets are delightful for an after dinner dessert and palate cleanser. The Cordua brothers rock as restaurateurs producing an outstanding product regardless of the theme or venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Visits in OneNoMasDined on 9/21/2014Took our daughter to America's River Oaks last night to celebrate her birthday. It was two visits in one, our first and our last. We all had filets, at least that's what they were listed as on the menu...instead of being able to cut it, I actually had to saw it with my knife. They were as tender and as tasty as a 10 minute pan fried flank steak. Normally I would have sent it back, but it's (was) my daughter's favorite restaurant, and she didn't express her disappointment until we left, so we'll just make sure we don't the same mistake of going back. If you insist on eating there, better make it quick, because I don't think their reputation will carry them when their food doesn't
- Weekend BrunchSuzy8VIPDined on 9/20/2014Americas offer a weekend brunch. Beautifully presented with a large variety of Latin specialties. A great way to experience their menu. $35/person. We were celebrating my husband's birthday. They bought out a complementary dessert with flame presentation instead of a candle. Very entertaining! Made our birthday meal extra special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014I have been to America's multiple times and this was the worst experience. While we were sat right away, we were not greeted by waitstaff and had to ask for service after sitting at our table for 15 minutes. 5 minutes later a waitress came over to ask for our drink order without greeting us. In the past, entrees came with grilled vegetables and plantains now rice and lentils which were very dry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceTexasRickDined on 9/18/2014We found out about this place through my wife's spin instructor. The menu had very interesting choices for all courses of a meal. The "chips and dip" were not your usual chips or dips and were excellent (you will have to visit to learn more). We got a paella dish which was superb. The off menu choice of sea bass looked delicious (served at table next to us). The ambiance was delightful, service was friendly and excellent. The wines were very good - at least the malbec I had was very smooth, full bodied and a perfect fit for our meal. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationJanWestUDined on 9/13/2014Americas did a wonderful job at our dinner to celebrate a birthday. The complimentary plaintain chips were a hit with our guests. The main courses were excellent. Our guests raved about the carnitas (pork and shrimp) and we loved the churrascos steak. We loved the bread pudding dessert as well as the lovely tres leches that the restaurant comped for our birthday celebration. They also brought champagne to celebrate the birthday. All in all a wonderful evening. Our server (think her name was Sara?) was excellent and very accommodating.Special Features:
- Americas BrunchLadyHuckDined on 9/13/2014It was a lovely dining experience. The Brunch at America's includes many of the tasty dishes from their regular menu, so it is a great opportunity for newbies to taste. For a $12.00 addition, you may have endless Mimosas, Sangria and Mojitos. The avante garde décor is a bit jarring at first, but then you will find the ambiance and service a relaxing and enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- the churrascoannieDined on 9/12/2014Seating along the walls is TIGHT! We were placed here first and had to slide into the chairs (we are not large but the people on either side of us were). Hostess took no notice-we asked to be moved. Dining room was a little noisy but able to carry on a conversation. Started with the lobster corn dogs and mojitos-very good. For a main, we each had the Churrasco, their signature steak. My dining partner and I like them cooked to different degrees-both were prepared perfectly to our taste-they were delicious. The sides could use some work-dry, tasteless. We finished with the Tres Leches cake which was moist, if not overly flavorful. The food was good-a little pricey for what you get-I'll be trying other places before I return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureTuckerDined on 9/12/2014I took some friends for their first time and it exceeded all expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningCelebrationDined on 9/12/2014We were a party of six celebrating two birthdays. The service was excellent and the churrascos were delicious. Our friends loved the complimentary flaming tres leches. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy per UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This place is an amazing place to take your special someone out for a night of great dining. The staff is so amazing and the food equally so.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Our service could have been better. Food was very good however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food....NoneDined on 9/8/2014The good was good and my request to have a special slice of cake be brought out for my oartner's birthday was fulfilled! There were two of us, and we were seated at a table big enough to sit at least seven people. The table behind us had a huge party, so their noise level made it difficult for conversation. But the wait staff was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.