Américas River Oaks
2040 West Gray, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77019Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Américas River Oaks
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cordua.com/
- Phone: 8322001492x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 3:00pm;
Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Michael Cordúa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Cordúa has taken the best of his portfolio along with the most talented staff in event planning and hospitality to create a contemporary “one-of-a-kind” event production company.
Combining the flavorful cuisines of North, Central and South Americas with progressive techniques and European discipline, MjC Events delivers the food Houstonians have loved for years with the impeccable service and hospitality you’ve come to expect from Cordúa Restaurants. With remarkable attention to detail, at your location or ours, our Event Managers will help you create your dream experience!
- Private Party Facilities: Teamed once again with architect Jordan Mozer, Américas River Oaks highlights and celebrates the gifts the Americas gave to the world, its native ingredients and tropical tapestries. Located in the heart of River Oaks Shopping Center, Américas is ideal for your next event. Whether you are in need of a private space for a business meeting in the Macondo, a celebration in the Alegrias, a quaint private dinner in the Corazón or the entire restaurant for your upcoming holiday party, our event managers welcome the opportunity to create a memorable experience for you and your guests!
- Private Party Contact: Darla Hickman 7139610911x
A word from Américas River Oaks
The third incarnation of Américas, the global culinary experience from famed chef and restaurateur, Michael Cordúa, is now open in the heart of River Oaks. Partnered once again with celebrated architect and designer Jordan Mozer, who brought his outstanding talent and vision to the original Américas in 1993, Américas River Oaks will be a unique dining experience that represents the weaving of South, Central and North American cultures and cuisines—from Alaska to Chile. Cordúa, whose reputation as one of the leading proponents of authentic Latin cuisine, returns to his foundational roots and creates a stage to showcase the yummy foods that the Americas have given to the world. Continually blazing a trail of New World cuisine that keeps critics raving, FOOD & WINE recognized Cordúa as one of the pioneers of the modernization of Latin cuisine when naming him into the Hall of Fame: 50 Best New Chefs of all time in 2008.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Américas River Oaks reviews from OpenTable diners
257 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (171)fit for foodies (124)romantic (123)good for groups (98)hot spot (71)great for brunch (51)neighborhood gem (48)great for lunch (48)notable wine list (45)vibrant bar scene (39)late-night find (18)great for outdoor dining (17)scenic view (15)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Wonderful!HappyDinerDined on 10/11/2014We had a wonderful time at Americas River Oaks. I found the décor a little strange (it looks like overgrown popcorn on the walls), but the food is fantastic and the service was superb! Our waiter made us feel like we were the only diners in the restaurant. If it wasn't for the screaming child near by, the evening would have been perfect and my bar bill not so big!Special Features:
- Excellent!MaryDined on 10/10/2014Celebrated our wedding anniversary here. Food,service, everything was excellent! Will definitelly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last night in HoustonReneeDined on 10/6/2014We had a wonderfull diner at the last night my sister and her son stayed in Houston. The food was good and they loved the ambiance.Special Features:
- Good foodfoodlover4lifeDined on 10/4/2014We dined a Saturday aboout 6pm. Our server was kind of weird and he was just talking with all thw other servers most of the time. The food was great but the plantains disappointed us this time around. We had been to Churrascos a while back and the plantain chips were warm and crispy, but here they were a bit cold. The food was good but it was almost the same menu as Churrascos - yes I know the places are owned by the same chefs but we went thinking maybe we had more to see from the chefs. Overall ot was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPopeyeVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food really is superb! The flight of ceviche is superb, as is the crab capprichiosa, the lobster corn dogs and the filet churrasco. Wine prices could be a tad lower though.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerLittleJamDined on 10/3/2014The ambience and character of Americas is wonderful. All of our meals were delicious. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Love Americas!DateNightLoverDined on 10/3/2014Americas is my favorite restaurant in Houston! The whole Cordua chain is amazing. My husband and I had our wedding at Artista. But we love Americas for a special occasion dinner. The restaurant has great ambience, it's very fancy but without having to wear a cocktail dress and suit (unless you want to). The food is outstanding. Never disappoints! Lamb lollichops and empanadas are our favorite appetizers. My husband always gets the famous Churrasco, and I always end up with their seafood special. The service is always great, and the flambé tres leches is always a fun end to the experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful LuncheonedwardlaaseVIPDined on 10/1/2014I decided to take my beautiful wife to a romantic lunch after a late morning appointment we had. What better place than Americas. The restaurant design is very eclectic and gives the place a special ambiance. The menu selection is positively mind boggling with all of the choices. Having said that I chose and off menu item of Churrasco Steak and grilled shrimp. As you would expect from a restaurant with a strong Argentine influence the steak was tender and delicious. The shrimp added a nice touch to complete the meal. My beautiful wife dined on the empanadas. She was equally pleased with her meal. We enjoyed so much we have made plans to return for their Halloween Costume Party!!!Special Features:
- Amazing food, Horrible ServiceSCHKDined on 9/30/2014This place had seriously insanely awesome food - the empanadas, the paella, the lamb, the fish...so good!! And don't even get me started on the desserts - that tres leches cake was to die for! However, the entire experience was completely marred by the terrible service - specifically how Loooong it took for food to come out. The servers were extremely polite and very attentive but it just took soooo long for food to come out. V v frustrating and really really affected the experience. Looking on Yelp, it seems that most people had the same experience as me and the restaurant really needs to rethink their wait times if they want to take their restaurant to the next level. Lots of potential that is being wasted right nowSpecial Features:
- Great valueVictorDined on 9/28/2014Rather than spending time and money on all Cordua's restaurants, the brunch gives you all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!WineNDineDined on 9/27/2014I came here for the second year in a row for my birthday. The food is great and this time we got a private room that i didn't even know it was an option. My family and I were able to all chat and laugh without feeling like we might be bothering others. It was very intimate and a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KPJacksonHillDined on 9/27/2014Whether it be the Galleria or River Oaks locations, the food and service is consistently good. The homemade sorbets are delightful for an after dinner dessert and palate cleanser. The Cordua brothers rock as restaurateurs producing an outstanding product regardless of the theme or venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Visits in OneNoMasDined on 9/21/2014Took our daughter to America's River Oaks last night to celebrate her birthday. It was two visits in one, our first and our last. We all had filets, at least that's what they were listed as on the menu...instead of being able to cut it, I actually had to saw it with my knife. They were as tender and as tasty as a 10 minute pan fried flank steak. Normally I would have sent it back, but it's (was) my daughter's favorite restaurant, and she didn't express her disappointment until we left, so we'll just make sure we don't the same mistake of going back. If you insist on eating there, better make it quick, because I don't think their reputation will carry them when their food doesn't
- Weekend BrunchSuzy8VIPDined on 9/20/2014Americas offer a weekend brunch. Beautifully presented with a large variety of Latin specialties. A great way to experience their menu. $35/person. We were celebrating my husband's birthday. They bought out a complementary dessert with flame presentation instead of a candle. Very entertaining! Made our birthday meal extra special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014I have been to America's multiple times and this was the worst experience. While we were sat right away, we were not greeted by waitstaff and had to ask for service after sitting at our table for 15 minutes. 5 minutes later a waitress came over to ask for our drink order without greeting us. In the past, entrees came with grilled vegetables and plantains now rice and lentils which were very dry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceTexasRickDined on 9/18/2014We found out about this place through my wife's spin instructor. The menu had very interesting choices for all courses of a meal. The "chips and dip" were not your usual chips or dips and were excellent (you will have to visit to learn more). We got a paella dish which was superb. The off menu choice of sea bass looked delicious (served at table next to us). The ambiance was delightful, service was friendly and excellent. The wines were very good - at least the malbec I had was very smooth, full bodied and a perfect fit for our meal. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- careful paying with creditdaddy73Dined on 9/13/2014I took my wife for dinner for her birthday everything was good. The check was for $105.00 dollars for 2 people I paid $100 cash and $5.00 in a credit card plus tip. So I sign the $5.00 receipt and added $15.00 tip. The next day I checked my bank account and noticed that they did 2 transactions in my account one for $105.00 and another one for $5 plus 15. Tip. So what happen with $100 cash I gave the waiter ( pedro)?? When I told him $100 cash and $5.00 credit. Why did he keep the $100 cash. Charge my credit for $105 with out telling me and charge again for $5.00 so I could sign that receipt. Waiter knows that I will dispute The $105 with my bank and I will get my money back. But he kept the $100
- Birthday celebrationJanWestUDined on 9/13/2014Americas did a wonderful job at our dinner to celebrate a birthday. The complimentary plaintain chips were a hit with our guests. The main courses were excellent. Our guests raved about the carnitas (pork and shrimp) and we loved the churrascos steak. We loved the bread pudding dessert as well as the lovely tres leches that the restaurant comped for our birthday celebration. They also brought champagne to celebrate the birthday. All in all a wonderful evening. Our server (think her name was Sara?) was excellent and very accommodating.Special Features:
- Americas BrunchLadyHuckDined on 9/13/2014It was a lovely dining experience. The Brunch at America's includes many of the tasty dishes from their regular menu, so it is a great opportunity for newbies to taste. For a $12.00 addition, you may have endless Mimosas, Sangria and Mojitos. The avante garde décor is a bit jarring at first, but then you will find the ambiance and service a relaxing and enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- the churrascoannieDined on 9/12/2014Seating along the walls is TIGHT! We were placed here first and had to slide into the chairs (we are not large but the people on either side of us were). Hostess took no notice-we asked to be moved. Dining room was a little noisy but able to carry on a conversation. Started with the lobster corn dogs and mojitos-very good. For a main, we each had the Churrasco, their signature steak. My dining partner and I like them cooked to different degrees-both were prepared perfectly to our taste-they were delicious. The sides could use some work-dry, tasteless. We finished with the Tres Leches cake which was moist, if not overly flavorful. The food was good-a little pricey for what you get-I'll be trying other places before I return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureTuckerDined on 9/12/2014I took some friends for their first time and it exceeded all expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningCelebrationDined on 9/12/2014We were a party of six celebrating two birthdays. The service was excellent and the churrascos were delicious. Our friends loved the complimentary flaming tres leches. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy per UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This place is an amazing place to take your special someone out for a night of great dining. The staff is so amazing and the food equally so.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Our service could have been better. Food was very good however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food....NoneDined on 9/8/2014The good was good and my request to have a special slice of cake be brought out for my oartner's birthday was fulfilled! There were two of us, and we were seated at a table big enough to sit at least seven people. The table behind us had a huge party, so their noise level made it difficult for conversation. But the wait staff was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedTXDCBevoDined on 9/6/2014The service was NOT good. She knew it was our anniversary and yet, didn't care. She kept apologizing for her lack of service. The food plate for sharing was as big as side dish. It was strange, awkward and the food was mediocre. I would NEVER spend this kind of money for this food again. It is our last time there. I would save your $100 and eat anywhere else. Consider La Griglia. It is in the same parking lot and soooooo much better on all accounts.Special Features:
- Happy customer!MarzDined on 9/6/2014Reserving was super easy and had availability! So relieved! Staff at the front desk were kind and welcoming Bar staff was welcoming and helpful! Pedro out waiter was incredible! Really really awesome service! Can I just say I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Americas! Thank you for making my birthday dinner fun and entertaining! Please keep it up!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - order carefullyAllysonJVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our server was fantastic. He provided just the right amount of attention. However, I ordered my filt "medium plus" and further explained that meant "between medium and medium well." Unfortunatley, the filet was served very well done and was not any good. We took it home and fed it to the dog. When the server asked how everything was, I just didn't have the heart to tell him. Lesson learned - order filets at Americas "medium" at maximum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticGood4meDined on 9/5/2014Our first time here. Service was best I have had. Food was perfect. Ambiance was correct. Every detail was attend to. We are going to be regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnermarleneDined on 8/30/2014The service was awesome. Our waiter was very attentive without being overbearing. We chose from the restaurant weeks menu and really enjoyed all 3 courses. Easy parking and a nice short walk to River Oaks Theatre made this the perfect choice for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceLagosgirlVIPDined on 8/28/2014We had a work lunch here recently and many of the party had not been here before. The Ceviche flight is always very popular as well as the steak lunch choices. One of the steaks was over cooked and they brought the person a separate plate of rice, lentils, yucca, etc to have while they waited for their dish.Special Features:
- Amazing food AND serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Love everything about Americas!!! Free valet, friendly staff, awesome food and very interesting atmosphere! Always enjoy my visits here for dinner OR lunch! Awesome!!Special Features:
- Very nice dinnerJbrayVIPDined on 8/26/2014Brought a group of co-workers here for a special dinner. The food and service were excellent. My only complaint is that we requested a quiet table and were seated in the middle of the main dining room, which made it difficult to talk among our group.Special Features:
- Birthday DudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014I took my wife and her parents to Americas for my wife's birthday dinner. Americas has always been a special occasion place for us. First when we got there the greeters were disorganized. They were looking for my name and am not really sure if he every found it but sat us anyway. Well it turns out that the person who greeted us was our waiter as well. Our waiter was not very good at all. He left us sitting there many times to where we had to ask other waiters where our waiter was. He had no other personality and when we ordered did not explain the menu. We overheard all the other waiters around converse with their guests but not ours. I felt bad because she and I were looking forward to a great dining experience but did not get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tHEY COULD DO BETTERPOWELL123456Dined on 8/24/2014STAFF SEEMS TO BE HANGED OVER. HOSTES WAS VERY RUDE. WE ASK FOR THINGS SUCH MENU AND HE INSISTED WE SHOULD GET BRUNCH. IS CHOICE CUSTOMER WHAT TO EAT. SUGESTING IS SUGESTING NOT FORCING. SITTING WAS HORRIBLE. WE ASKED FOR BETTER TABLE AND IT WAS DENIED. I FOUND A MOSQUITO ON MY MILK, RETURNED AND NO APOLOGY GIVEN NOT THAT I CARE BUT THE THING WAS THAT THEY NEVER BROUGHT MY MILK FOR COFFEE. ORANGE JUICE OVER PRICE WHEN IS A TAMPICO ORANGE JUICE. ONE VALET ASSISTANT FOR 200 GUEST. LITTLE BIT ANOYING WAITING UNDER SUN FOR 20 MINUTES.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014As usual, Americas was wonderful The portions were generous and food excellentSpecial Features:
- Exceptional service, terrific food!LynneR912VIPDined on 8/23/2014Went during Houston Restaurant Week - what a great experience! Service = outstanding, menu choices = excellent, food = perfectly prepared and served. It was our anniversary, they brought celebratory glasses of champagne - a lovely touch!Special Features:
- HRW ReviewHRW14Dined on 8/23/2014Great menu for HRW! Out waitress made great recommendations and was very patient. once the food started coming out it was paced very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeSuperstarDined on 8/23/2014I absolutely LOVE the decor, & the restrooms are BEAUTIFUL!!:-)Special Features:
- Excellent LocationLatino1Dined on 8/22/2014the food was incredible. If you enjoy latin fusion food this is definitely a place for you.Special Features: