Americana - Des Moines
1312 Locust Street, Suite 102
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Americana - Des Moines
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://americanadsm.com/
- Phone: 5152831312
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dan Warren
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our various dining areas provide a beautiful setting for any occasion and can be customized to accommodate up to 60 guests for a seated meal or 150 for a cocktail reception. We also offer a variety of off site catering options.
- Private Party Contact: Alicia V. 5152831312
- Entertainment: The restaurant, located downtown, provides a panoramic view of the Pappajohn Sculpture Garden. Americana is a short distance from The Temple for Performing Arts, as well as the Des Moines Civic Center.
- Cross Street: 15th Street
- Public Transit: Des Moines DART Downtown Shuttle Service makes frequent stops through downtown Des Moines throughout the day and into the evening.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Metered street parking is available on Grand, Locust, 15th, and 13th. There are also 10 hour meters on Walnut St. All meters are free after 6:00 pm. The lots directly east, west, and south of the restaurant are available FREE to guests after 5 pm. Additionally, there is the Allied Parking Ramp located at 12th and Mulberry, available all day, free after 8:00 pm. The Nationwide Skywalk is open until 2 am.
A word from Americana - Des Moines
Celebrate the swagger of the cocktail culture and era at AMERICANA. Our restaurant severs a modern American menu, specializing in tapas, steak house fare and signature dishes. We feature classic cocktails, an extensive wine list and have private rooms available for any occasion and party size. Enjoy two level dining with panoramic views of the Pappajohn Sculpture Park. Open for lunch, dinner seven days a week and brunch on Saturday and Sunday mornings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Americana - Des Moines - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
Americana - Des Moines reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (52)special occasion (48)fit for foodies (43)great for brunch (38)great for lunch (28)hot spot (27)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (10)late-night find (6)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Best Sunday BrunchJASpitzDined on 8/31/2014Excellent quality ingredients and a wide range of dishes make this a fantastic Sunday buffet brunch. My favorite was the smoked brisket hash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food every timeCabooseDined on 8/27/2014My girlfriend and i have gone uncountable time and are always amazed by the foods even when we try new weird things weve never even heard of. Great place to treat your taste budsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchPedestrianDinerDined on 8/24/2014We went for the Sunday brunch. The Bloody Mary table was most impressive-- a meal in and of itself, practically. We expressed a concern to the server, regarding the cooked food not being hot enough. I could not even attach the word "warm" to describe the food, as it was below that. She graciously acted upon my feedback. The manager came to our table and apologized as well. The flavor of the food was great, it was solely the temperatures that could have been bettered. The restaurant staff increased the temperatures of the food and it was improved after that point. Even with this bump, Americana was a fantastic place to dine and hang with friends/family. Will for sure return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great co-worker lunch celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014Fantastic service, ambience and FOOD! Our party of eight had a great lunch/birthday celebration. Highly Recommend!Special Features:
- Fantastic Des Moines dining!ladyvespaDined on 8/17/2014I love coming to the cities of the Midwest and seeing how they interpret local ingredients, recipes and products. Americana is exactly what I like in a restaurant: a cool, easygoing place that doesn't take itself too seriously (the birthday cake for dessert is funfetti with sprinkles!) but also doesn't mess around when it comes to putting out fresh, locally-inspired and sourced dishes. I really enjoyed sipping a Templeton rye on ice and lingering over the menu's many small plates. And the picture windows, which open onto the neighboring sculpture garden, provide a beautiful space in which to enjoy thoughtfully-prepared, unpretentious cuisine.Special Features:
- Top of our list!AbbyDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful brunch date. He feels like he found a new place to entertain clients. I feel like I need to gather up some girlfriends for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb experience, excellent TapasFarmboyGoneWildDined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent! We had four of the Tapas items and were delighted with all of them. The blend of flavors was superb and creative in each dish and the presentation was very enticing.Special Features:
- Good food, gluten-free menuGFdinerDined on 8/14/2014Had a group of six for lunch, one eating gluten-free. Service was efficient, unobtrusive, pleasant. Food came relatively quickly, and all orders at the same time. Everyone enjoyed their food. The menu has nice selection so everyone could find something they wanted. The separate gluten-free menu is much appreciated - nothing specially prepared, just foods from the regular menu that are gluten-free or can be made so (i.e., a bunless hamburger), but there is plenty to choose from and the separate menu is easier to use.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The Americana brunch is a great time with plenty of excellent prepared food. We will surely be back to enjoy again. We enjoyed the decor but wish the noise level could be reduced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Friday!happyhourgalDined on 8/8/2014We stopped by Americana for a late dinner Friday and it was fabulous! My mom and I tried a couple of the salads and they were a hit. Definitely recommend, but probably not for an intimate date night.Special Features:
- sthomefoodieDined on 8/7/2014Our server was wonderful. Don't remember her name, but she was great! Brought us champagne for our anniversary which as a very sweet thing to do. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- has the potentialdoncarlosDined on 8/3/2014Food was not hot enough. Selection was OK. if i drank, great brunch cocktail bar. No consideration for special requests made at time of request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bombshell Brunch is Best!DelightfulDinerDined on 7/27/2014Food was pretty good, but not the best ever/can't wait to go back. The bottomless Bloody Marys and Mimosas were great. At times, we had to wait to have our plates cleared and glasses replaced, but not too long/often. We did have one member of our party who has trouble walking, so it would have been nice to have been asked when we made reservations and/or were seated if stairs would be a problem for anyone in our party. It was too much for that member of our party, so others had to get that person's food and drinks. Overall it was a great experience, and we are planning to return for another brunch sometime in the future!Special Features:
- Great value for brunchJeastlakeDined on 7/27/2014Our first time at Americana. It was bustling on a Sunday morning with a great brunch. Buffet items were tasty and plentiful, and it was thoughtful that hot buffet items were located in/near the kitchen and replenished frequently. Great place for families with hungry teens. Accoustics are poor and dining is loud, which detracts from overall dining experience. Overall, our experience was very good, and we'd certainly go again.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationMellieDined on 7/20/2014Great location for a family birthday celebration. We had three birthdays at our table of 6 and our server Hannah was awesome! Not to mention the food....YUMMO! Everyone loved what they ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food selection,lousy serviceDanaDined on 7/13/2014I had been to Americana before, but never for brunch. We had a group of 6 and were seated within 5 minutes of showing up (with reservations). I thought there would be a little more selection for the brunch buffet considering what we were paying, but it was all good food, and I left full. My water sat empty for at least 10 minutes before being refilled, and another at our table had to ask for a refill of coffee. One girl who ordered a bloody mary was brought a glass for mimosas instead, but this was corrected. It look a long time to get our checks, even though with it being a buffet, there wouldn't be any changes to our order. The group behind us got there an hour after us and was getting their checks and leaving at the same time.Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceDine4FunVIPDined on 7/4/2014Service was very good, staff eager to assist with selections. Ambiance was modern and perfect for downtown. Very energetic on our visit - perhaps this was an issue with regard to service as seemed very keen to turn table over despite plenty being available. Food was good, lamb very tasty although a little more undercooked then one would expect even for medium-rare, as some parts basically raw. Broccoli appetizer was very tasty. Overall good restaurant and well worth the visit if in Des Moines.Special Features:
- Very nice!FoodbobDined on 7/4/2014This was my first time here -- I came at the recommendation of my companion. Beautiful place. The staff people were cheerful, alert, efficient, and friendly. The food was great -- everything on the menu sounded appealing, and I look forward to returning to sample other things. Americana is a very nice addition to the downtown Des Moines scene, and I am glad to know about it. Also, this was my first time using opentable.com for a reservation. That went without a hitch, even when I had to make a change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the drinksChadVIPDined on 7/3/2014Had high hopes after looking at the menu. There weren't a whole lot of people in the place for normal dinner times, which should have been the first clue. The drinks were good - Moscow Mule along with a Georgia Peach version. We ordered 4 small plates - deviled eggs, seared tuna, Brussels sprouts and Brie. I'm not exaggerating, 3 minutes later all but the sprouts were served. The eggs were rubbery little pieces, the tuna was over cooked yet oddly cold, gelatinous Brie was served already on the crostini with a small dallop of jam. I'd say these were prepared well before that days service had begun. I wanted to ask if these had come straight from the fridge, had the Saran Wrap pulled off on the way to the table.Special Features:
- Never disappointedMulderDSMDined on 6/27/2014We took an out of town friend there who'd never been there. He loved it! Even with the Arts Festival going on right outside the restaurant kept its usual great food and service.Special Features:
- Good food slow serviceCosmoDined on 6/21/2014I've visited Americana twice and both times the food was good but the service was slow even though they weren't very busy. We were seated and it took a long time before a server even came to the table. I'm not sure if both times I got new servers but they were both slow and didn't have any personality. Overall I enjoyed the food but I have had MUCH better service at lesser restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Good food with a cool decor. Would recommend to friends!Special Features:
- Delicious + Special Occ. FriendlyJOVOVDined on 6/7/2014We reserved a space for a group of 12 for a social baby shower and had a wonderful experience! The staff were friendly, the amazing spread of food was delicious and unique and we were allowed an extended time frame without feeling pushed out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dam to Dam After PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Recently dined at Americana with a group of about 20 people that were friends and family including a number of folks that were from out of town. Was really impressed with the service we received. It started with the greeters who were very accommodating and realized it was important for us to all be close together in the restaurant. They were able to get us all upstairs. Our waitress (Hannah) was extremely attentive and was always checking back in with us to see what we needed. I don't get downtown that frequently but will definitely keep Americana on my short list of places to frequent.Special Features:
- Nice meal @ AmericanaTonedoverDined on 5/30/2014Had a really nice meal last Friday before the Seinfeld concert at the Civic Center. We had the crab rangoon app, I had the lamb, she had the scallops. Fantastic! My only complaint would be i wish the entree portions were larger. The apps and sandwiches are huge so i had probably too high of hopes for the entrees. At least it was delicious and we ate every bite. The server was good and she provided plenty of attention without being annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughJfkdkDined on 5/25/2014Wide variety good selection but actual food was adequate but not out of this world by any means. Neat to order a custom grilled cheese but bread too thick and only a small amount of cheeseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love AmericanaEatsOut247Dined on 5/21/2014Whether its for small plates or Sunday brunch, Americana is sure to please. I always bring friends from out of town here to show it off. Located across from the sculpture park so you can eat all of the amazing food you want and then walk it off after.Special Features:
- SHELLYVIPDined on 5/17/2014Appetizer selection was OK, but the salmon and prime rib were outstanding,
- Our Waiter was Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014Our waiter was very attentive and helped us to celebrate our new college grads on Fri night. Because of this, we know the Americana will be a must for all celebrations in our family!Special Features:
- IndifferentFircuffelDined on 5/11/2014Americana was OK for brunch but did not have anything that resembled a desert bar. Major negative! The resturant was packed due to Mothers Day but they added to the holiday ambience. Bruch was a good start but could be kicked-up to a great bruch if it expanded into several different areas and less on the confort food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Customer Service Ever!MATKDined on 5/11/2014Made reservations for brunch at Americana for Mothers Day; my wife has really wanted to try it. When I made the reservations I received a confirmation email and we received a 2nd confirmation email the morning of the reservation. When we arrived they didn’t have our reservation. When we showed them the email they said it must have been a problem with the vendor (OpenTable) that handles the online reservations. Rather than try to accommodate us or offer any consideration Will gave my wife a short lesson on their reservation system and servers (computer not restaurant) said their was nothing he could or would do and sent us on our way. Management should walk across the street to the DM Library and check out a book on customer service.
- Excellent food/serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014Food and service was excellent. Didn't have to wait to be seated. Price is reasonable as you get a lot food. We'll worth the money. Would recommend people to eat here.Special Features:
- My Happy PlaceLenaGorenaDined on 5/9/2014Americana is incredible, from the Thai Tacos, to the Moscow Mules, to the superb wait staff! Every time I go I fall in love with the place all over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Americana was everything I have had heard about. The food was excellent, our order came quickly, and our server (Kevin) did an outstanding job. I will definitely be coming back and telling others about Americana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timeHillaryDined on 5/9/2014I celebrated my college graduation here and I had the best time! The food was delicious, the wine was perfect, and they have the best cheesecake I have ever had! Expect to spend some money when you eat here but it is very much worth it! The atmosphere is high class but still down to earth with a real "Americana" feel :) highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 474 reviews are from the Americana - Des Moines reviews archive.
- Not accommodating of special needsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014Reservations were placed 4 days in advance and they were still unable to accommodate special needs customer who preferred lower lever seating. Service was very slow for drinks. Very unhappy with Americana.
- Sunday BrunchNotHungryAnymoreDined on 5/4/2014Amazing selection. No omelet bar, but, instead, a unique grilled cheese sandwich bar. Our Open Table reservation assured we were promptly seated on this busy Sunday morning. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCraigDined on 5/2/2014The food was excellant, especially the apetizers. The service was a little slow and they didn't refill our water glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Before Civic CenterAnnualGatherersDined on 4/27/2014Four of us had brunch before going to a play at the Civic Center. The food was very good-lots of choices, and the food was kept filled. Considering how busy it was, service was pretty quick. Our only complaint was the noise level. I have eaten dinner at Americana before and will again, but I probably will not go to brunch again. Our group found it impossible to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Brunch was delicious, great serviceGratefuldinerDined on 4/27/2014I have dined at Americana nearly a dozen times and have never been disappointed in the service or the excellent food. Brunch is no exception. Great variety and surprisingly fresh for a buffet-style brunch. It is fresh because they always have a good crowd so people go through the food quickly. The buffet arrangement is a big challenging to navigate because they really do not have a large space for all the buffet tables. But the food is worth it. Also the servers were right there filling coffee, water and removing plates. Not waiting. Very professional, friendly and helpful. I recommend Americana as a great place for brunch, lunch and dinner. Plus Americana is LOCAL. Everything is cooked fresh. Real food!Special Features: