Americana - Des Moines
1312 Locust Street, Suite 102
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Americana - Des Moines
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://americanadsm.com/
- Phone: (515) 283-1312
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dan Warren
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our various dining areas provide a beautiful setting for any occasion and can be customized to accommodate up to 60 guests for a seated meal or 150 for a cocktail reception. We also offer a variety of off site catering options.
- Private Party Contact: Alicia V. 5152831312
- Entertainment: The restaurant, located downtown, provides a panoramic view of the Pappajohn Sculpture Garden. Americana is a short distance from The Temple for Performing Arts, as well as the Des Moines Civic Center.
- Cross Street: 15th Street
- Public Transit: Des Moines DART Downtown Shuttle Service makes frequent stops through downtown Des Moines throughout the day and into the evening.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Metered street parking is available on Grand, Locust, 15th, and 13th. There are also 10 hour meters on Walnut St. All meters are free after 6:00 pm. The lots directly east, west, and south of the restaurant are available FREE to guests after 5 pm. Additionally, there is the Allied Parking Ramp located at 12th and Mulberry, available all day, free after 8:00 pm. The Nationwide Skywalk is open until 2 am.
A word from Americana - Des Moines
Celebrate the swagger of the cocktail culture and era at AMERICANA. Our restaurant severs a modern American menu, specializing in tapas, steak house fare and signature dishes. We feature classic cocktails, an extensive wine list and have private rooms available for any occasion and party size. Enjoy two level dining with panoramic views of the Pappajohn Sculpture Park. Open for lunch, dinner seven days a week and brunch on Saturday and Sunday mornings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Americana - Des Moines - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
Americana - Des Moines reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (54)great for brunch (49)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (47)neighborhood gem (35)hot spot (33)great for lunch (25)vibrant bar scene (21)romantic (16)late-night find (11)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (7)Show More
- Americana Restaurant ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014We really like Americana. We've been several times, and have always had wonderful service. The atmosphere is fun - good music in the background, there are televisions in the bar area, the building is older, there is loft-style dining, nice charm to the building. The food is good too. One thing to keep in mind....they have dishes like meatloaf and mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese, but they add subtle flavoring to these meals, and to most that we've tried, that changes the taste enough that if you have 'your mom's mac and cheese and meatloaf' taste in mind, that is not what you'll get. At least not unless your mom added truffles to the mac-n-cheese. The flavors are very good, but be sure to ask the waitress beforehand if you have any questions. But remember, this is a nice change from the everyday eatery - if you want real down home-cookin' there are restaurants out there that address those tastes. The staff has always been very nice, service is prompt and prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value for brunch!FeedMeDined on 11/16/2014This was our first visit to Americana; we chose it based on reviews of their Sunday brunch. Got there a little late (1pm), as we were on our way to the 2:30pm DM Symphony performance, so knew the buffet might be a little picked over. We were disappointed to find the smoked salmon almost gone (we could have made a meal of that alone!), but otherwise the selection seemed pretty good for the tail-end of a brunch buffet. We especially liked the made-to-order grilled cheese bar, and the tomato soup that went with it was excellent. Crepes with fresh fruit were a nice choice, but we found the other desserts (apple crisp, waffle bread pudding, some other thing we couldn't put a name too) to be pretty blah. We didn't avail ourselves of the Mimosa and Bloody Mary bars, but they were another nice option. Service was pretty good; our server gave us a nice tour of the buffet which was helpful for first-timers. Overall, we felt it was a good value for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always find Americana too loud, but enjoyedVictoriaJZDined on 11/16/2014going there for brunch. Service was very good and the choices of the food at Brunch were great. It was quite busy and for the price, the brunch was excellent [not cheap, but not out of the world].Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceKateDined on 11/15/2014We recently had a small surprise party here and can not say enough good things about our experience. They accommodated every request with a smile, right down to bringing out the cake we brought with candles lit so we could sing Happy Birthday. Our waiter was wonderful. The food was fantastic. Overall it was just a really outstanding experience and I would highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Americana 1st & last Sunday brunchWaterlooMomof3Dined on 11/9/2014Just highly overrated! Expensive cheap food. Who wants chafing dish pancakes, lackluster cheesy potatoes & greasy brisket hash? Then Americana is just for you. Mashed potato bar for brunch? Nothing special pork breakfast meats. The blintzes were my favorite. So they had a spread for a lettuce salad and a pretty fresh fruit tray. Oh and they'll make grilled cheese sandwiches to order, whoopee! The tomato soup was delicious but the mac and cheese must have been canned cheese sauce - bleh! And the NOISE LEVEL, OMG you couldn't hear yourself think, let alone hope to visit with your group. They proceeded to seat us upstairs - I DON"T THINK SO - but accommodated us quickly on main floor. I'm not going up and down steps for buffet/bar.Special Features:
- CThomasDined on 11/8/2014Great place for groups of around 8 or so....classy food and average beer selection.Special Features:
- Solid Choice for any occasionpaulydDined on 11/7/2014A refreshing menu of traditional items with a modern flair meets a retro-modern restored downtown building to create an awesome dining experience. About the only beef I had with the place was the lighting in the main dining area on the first floor was a little intense for later at night- thought it could have been a little dimmed, but that definitely won't keep us from going back. The truffle mac/cheese was incredible as were the thai tacos- no sauce even needed! We'll be back!!Special Features:
- Much more than you think...DrakeUnv68Dined on 11/2/2014A wonderful, trendy, urban restaurant with top notch service and a brunch buffet of seemingly endless variety. Attracts a diverse and stimulating group of people of all ages. You just get energized by the local entrepreneurs who launched this business and have a assembled such a superbly trained staff. Makes you proud of the revitalized downtown and want to hang out there.Special Features:
- Disappointing....Cecile69Dined on 11/1/2014We were seated upstairs, it was so loud we couldn't hear each other. The service was okay, the server would be gone for very long periods of time. We ordered the Airline Chicken, Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf, Sirloin Steak and the Prime Rib, the evening special. The chicken was cooked well, but was tasteless, no seasonings. The meatloaf was also very blah. The sirloin was the hit of the table, very nicely cooked and flavorful. The prime rib was pretty bad, full of gristle and very chewy. For the price, not worth it. Everyone loved the Cheddar Mashed Potatoes, they were delicious! Pretty expensive for what we received.Special Features:
- Perfect evening.Luv2eatwellDined on 10/25/2014Great from the start to the finish. Good appetizers, satisfying meals, great cocktails and a very yummy dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch Spot!NailahDined on 10/19/2014I thoroughyl enjoyed my day at Americana! The fooe was great and the wait staff was very helpful and friendly. If I am ever in Des Moines again, I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014This was our second brunch at Americana. We were disappointed in the food quality and quantity. Lots of trays were picked over and some of the items weren't very tasty (the crepes were especially bad). Our first experience in May 2014 was much better.
- Not outstanding.scootsmasonDined on 10/9/2014We have eaten at Americana for Saturday Brunch and it was great. Evening menu - not so much. I wasn't in the mood for a steak or entree and asked our waitress about a sandwich. Only 2 available at night - a burger or a burger.Had Nachos and they were just alright. Will def do brunch again but prolly not dinner.Special Features:
- RuPriceVIPDined on 10/9/2014We tried numerous appetizers, actually chose this restuarant for their wide selection, and each one was a complete disappointment. The crab rangoon dip lacked flavor, the brussel sprouts w bacon were so dry you could barely eat them, the deviled eggs were over refrigerated and the lamb skewers flavor & texture was not what we would expect. Not sure if it was simply an off night however wont return.
- Birthday brunch for elderly fatherYumyumDined on 10/5/2014Our family went to Americana for brunch to celebrate my dad's birthday. He isn't able to do stairs, so they kindly sat us nearer to the buffet line. Within seconds we received a basket of warm, fresh donut holes and our waitress took our beverage order. (I want to return sometime and have the Bloody Mary bar - EVERYTHING was on the bar: bacon, celery, marinated asparagus, a variety of peppers, pickles and olives, as well as seasonings and condiments.) Ok. The buffet - had every type of comfort food you'd want, and all deliciously prepared. Homemade soup, a hot sandwich station, salads, desserts, and a variety of fantastic fattening food. My dad loved the hot apple crisp. We all ate too much; plan time for a nap after eating brunch there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and pain free!bigV7782Dined on 10/4/2014I heard good things from all my coworkers so I finally tried Americana for myself. Not disappointed and can't wait to try the brunch everyone is raving aboutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!AmateurFoodieDined on 9/27/2014First time ever here. Loved the atmosphere, love the staff and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at AmericanaJFredDined on 9/22/2014The service and food were excellent. We were seated right away, and our server was very prompt. She made sure we always had drinks, and asked if we were enjoying our meals, which we did. It was Monday, and my wife had a sirloin steak while I tried the "all you can eat" fried chicken. It was the best fried chicken I've had in a very long time. The batter was tasty, and each piece of chicken had plenty of meat on them. It's kind of expensive, but you're getting what you're paying for, which is great service and well-prepared delicious food.Special Features:
- Nice Brunch for hungry eatersFamilyDinersDined on 9/21/2014The restaurant is very nice for a higher energy brunch meal. The TV's are on and the noise level is high. The food variety is excellent. They do tag on an 18% tip automatically so they need to be better at clearing plates; bringing coffee and water, etc. Since there is so little to do to get 18% in a buffet setting.Special Features:
- Brunches of Luv!WeLuvBrunchDined on 9/21/2014Americana is hands down the best brunch option in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAgonistDined on 9/19/2014One of the great restaurants in Des Moines. Adds a tremendous flavor and fervor to the evening dining scene.Special Features:
- Great Vibe Fair FoodLuv2eatDined on 9/13/2014This was my first time to the restaurant after hearing a lot of good things. They have a great drink selection list and the food was good. I had the oscar which was really good but was just warm not hot when it came out. Our appetizer and dessert were good. May come back for drinks and apps but not on my regular rotation.Special Features:
- amazing food and serviceART14Dined on 9/6/2014My family and I ate at the Americana before the Eagles concert, and we were all very impressed with the food and service. They also had some really fun cocktails! I should also note that they got us out of there in a timely manner so we were not late for our concert.Special Features:
- Best Sunday BrunchJASpitzDined on 8/31/2014Excellent quality ingredients and a wide range of dishes make this a fantastic Sunday buffet brunch. My favorite was the smoked brisket hash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantBisonFBfanDined on 8/29/2014I found the Americana restaurant in an online search and booked a table for 4 on a Friday evening at 6. The atmosphere was great and the service was outstanding. I can't remember our server's name but she was outstanding. Can't say enough positive about this great restaurant. The food was excellent and the wine and beer menu was expansive. Tried the Organic Stout with a touch of chocolate flavor and thought it was great - had two.Special Features:
- excellent food every timeCabooseDined on 8/27/2014My girlfriend and i have gone uncountable time and are always amazed by the foods even when we try new weird things weve never even heard of. Great place to treat your taste budsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchPedestrianDinerDined on 8/24/2014We went for the Sunday brunch. The Bloody Mary table was most impressive-- a meal in and of itself, practically. We expressed a concern to the server, regarding the cooked food not being hot enough. I could not even attach the word "warm" to describe the food, as it was below that. She graciously acted upon my feedback. The manager came to our table and apologized as well. The flavor of the food was great, it was solely the temperatures that could have been bettered. The restaurant staff increased the temperatures of the food and it was improved after that point. Even with this bump, Americana was a fantastic place to dine and hang with friends/family. Will for sure return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great co-worker lunch celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014Fantastic service, ambience and FOOD! Our party of eight had a great lunch/birthday celebration. Highly Recommend!Special Features:
- Fantastic Des Moines dining!ladyvespaDined on 8/17/2014I love coming to the cities of the Midwest and seeing how they interpret local ingredients, recipes and products. Americana is exactly what I like in a restaurant: a cool, easygoing place that doesn't take itself too seriously (the birthday cake for dessert is funfetti with sprinkles!) but also doesn't mess around when it comes to putting out fresh, locally-inspired and sourced dishes. I really enjoyed sipping a Templeton rye on ice and lingering over the menu's many small plates. And the picture windows, which open onto the neighboring sculpture garden, provide a beautiful space in which to enjoy thoughtfully-prepared, unpretentious cuisine.Special Features:
- Top of our list!AbbyDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful brunch date. He feels like he found a new place to entertain clients. I feel like I need to gather up some girlfriends for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb experience, excellent TapasFarmboyGoneWildDined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent! We had four of the Tapas items and were delighted with all of them. The blend of flavors was superb and creative in each dish and the presentation was very enticing.Special Features:
- Good food, gluten-free menuGFdinerDined on 8/14/2014Had a group of six for lunch, one eating gluten-free. Service was efficient, unobtrusive, pleasant. Food came relatively quickly, and all orders at the same time. Everyone enjoyed their food. The menu has nice selection so everyone could find something they wanted. The separate gluten-free menu is much appreciated - nothing specially prepared, just foods from the regular menu that are gluten-free or can be made so (i.e., a bunless hamburger), but there is plenty to choose from and the separate menu is easier to use.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The Americana brunch is a great time with plenty of excellent prepared food. We will surely be back to enjoy again. We enjoyed the decor but wish the noise level could be reduced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Friday!happyhourgalDined on 8/8/2014We stopped by Americana for a late dinner Friday and it was fabulous! My mom and I tried a couple of the salads and they were a hit. Definitely recommend, but probably not for an intimate date night.Special Features:
- sthomefoodieDined on 8/7/2014Our server was wonderful. Don't remember her name, but she was great! Brought us champagne for our anniversary which as a very sweet thing to do. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- has the potentialdoncarlosDined on 8/3/2014Food was not hot enough. Selection was OK. if i drank, great brunch cocktail bar. No consideration for special requests made at time of request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bombshell Brunch is Best!DelightfulDinerDined on 7/27/2014Food was pretty good, but not the best ever/can't wait to go back. The bottomless Bloody Marys and Mimosas were great. At times, we had to wait to have our plates cleared and glasses replaced, but not too long/often. We did have one member of our party who has trouble walking, so it would have been nice to have been asked when we made reservations and/or were seated if stairs would be a problem for anyone in our party. It was too much for that member of our party, so others had to get that person's food and drinks. Overall it was a great experience, and we are planning to return for another brunch sometime in the future!Special Features:
- Great value for brunchJeastlakeDined on 7/27/2014Our first time at Americana. It was bustling on a Sunday morning with a great brunch. Buffet items were tasty and plentiful, and it was thoughtful that hot buffet items were located in/near the kitchen and replenished frequently. Great place for families with hungry teens. Accoustics are poor and dining is loud, which detracts from overall dining experience. Overall, our experience was very good, and we'd certainly go again.Special Features:
- The following 496 reviews are from the Americana - Des Moines reviews archive.
- Birthday celebrationMellieDined on 7/20/2014Great location for a family birthday celebration. We had three birthdays at our table of 6 and our server Hannah was awesome! Not to mention the food....YUMMO! Everyone loved what they ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food selection,lousy serviceDanaDined on 7/13/2014I had been to Americana before, but never for brunch. We had a group of 6 and were seated within 5 minutes of showing up (with reservations). I thought there would be a little more selection for the brunch buffet considering what we were paying, but it was all good food, and I left full. My water sat empty for at least 10 minutes before being refilled, and another at our table had to ask for a refill of coffee. One girl who ordered a bloody mary was brought a glass for mimosas instead, but this was corrected. It look a long time to get our checks, even though with it being a buffet, there wouldn't be any changes to our order. The group behind us got there an hour after us and was getting their checks and leaving at the same time.Special Features: