Americana - Des Moines
1312 Locust Street, Suite 102
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Americana - Des Moines
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://americanadsm.com/
- Phone: 5152831312
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dan Warren
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our various dining areas provide a beautiful setting for any occasion and can be customized to accommodate up to 60 guests for a seated meal or 150 for a cocktail reception. We also offer a variety of off site catering options.
- Private Party Contact: Alicia V. 5152831312
- Entertainment: The restaurant, located downtown, provides a panoramic view of the Pappajohn Sculpture Garden. Americana is a short distance from The Temple for Performing Arts, as well as the Des Moines Civic Center.
- Cross Street: 15th Street
- Public Transit: Des Moines DART Downtown Shuttle Service makes frequent stops through downtown Des Moines throughout the day and into the evening.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Metered street parking is available on Grand, Locust, 15th, and 13th. There are also 10 hour meters on Walnut St. All meters are free after 6:00 pm. The lots directly east, west, and south of the restaurant are available FREE to guests after 5 pm. Additionally, there is the Allied Parking Ramp located at 12th and Mulberry, available all day, free after 8:00 pm. The Nationwide Skywalk is open until 2 am.
A word from Americana - Des Moines
Celebrate the swagger of the cocktail culture and era at AMERICANA. Our restaurant severs a modern American menu, specializing in tapas, steak house fare and signature dishes. We feature classic cocktails, an extensive wine list and have private rooms available for any occasion and party size. Enjoy two level dining with panoramic views of the Pappajohn Sculpture Park. Open for lunch, dinner seven days a week and brunch on Saturday and Sunday mornings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Americana - Des Moines - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
Americana - Des Moines reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (43)special occasion (43)fit for foodies (37)great for brunch (35)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (25)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (14)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (7)notable wine list (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014This was our second brunch at Americana. We were disappointed in the food quality and quantity. Lots of trays were picked over and some of the items weren't very tasty (the crepes were especially bad). Our first experience in May 2014 was much better.
- Not outstanding.scootsmasonDined on 10/9/2014We have eaten at Americana for Saturday Brunch and it was great. Evening menu - not so much. I wasn't in the mood for a steak or entree and asked our waitress about a sandwich. Only 2 available at night - a burger or a burger.Had Nachos and they were just alright. Will def do brunch again but prolly not dinner.Special Features:
- RuPriceVIPDined on 10/9/2014We tried numerous appetizers, actually chose this restuarant for their wide selection, and each one was a complete disappointment. The crab rangoon dip lacked flavor, the brussel sprouts w bacon were so dry you could barely eat them, the deviled eggs were over refrigerated and the lamb skewers flavor & texture was not what we would expect. Not sure if it was simply an off night however wont return.
- Birthday brunch for elderly fatherYumyumDined on 10/5/2014Our family went to Americana for brunch to celebrate my dad's birthday. He isn't able to do stairs, so they kindly sat us nearer to the buffet line. Within seconds we received a basket of warm, fresh donut holes and our waitress took our beverage order. (I want to return sometime and have the Bloody Mary bar - EVERYTHING was on the bar: bacon, celery, marinated asparagus, a variety of peppers, pickles and olives, as well as seasonings and condiments.) Ok. The buffet - had every type of comfort food you'd want, and all deliciously prepared. Homemade soup, a hot sandwich station, salads, desserts, and a variety of fantastic fattening food. My dad loved the hot apple crisp. We all ate too much; plan time for a nap after eating brunch there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and pain free!bigV7782Dined on 10/4/2014I heard good things from all my coworkers so I finally tried Americana for myself. Not disappointed and can't wait to try the brunch everyone is raving aboutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!AmateurFoodieDined on 9/27/2014First time ever here. Loved the atmosphere, love the staff and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at AmericanaJFredDined on 9/22/2014The service and food were excellent. We were seated right away, and our server was very prompt. She made sure we always had drinks, and asked if we were enjoying our meals, which we did. It was Monday, and my wife had a sirloin steak while I tried the "all you can eat" fried chicken. It was the best fried chicken I've had in a very long time. The batter was tasty, and each piece of chicken had plenty of meat on them. It's kind of expensive, but you're getting what you're paying for, which is great service and well-prepared delicious food.Special Features:
- Nice Brunch for hungry eatersFamilyDinersDined on 9/21/2014The restaurant is very nice for a higher energy brunch meal. The TV's are on and the noise level is high. The food variety is excellent. They do tag on an 18% tip automatically so they need to be better at clearing plates; bringing coffee and water, etc. Since there is so little to do to get 18% in a buffet setting.Special Features:
- Brunches of Luv!WeLuvBrunchDined on 9/21/2014Americana is hands down the best brunch option in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAgonistDined on 9/19/2014One of the great restaurants in Des Moines. Adds a tremendous flavor and fervor to the evening dining scene.Special Features:
- Great Vibe Fair FoodLuv2eatDined on 9/13/2014This was my first time to the restaurant after hearing a lot of good things. They have a great drink selection list and the food was good. I had the oscar which was really good but was just warm not hot when it came out. Our appetizer and dessert were good. May come back for drinks and apps but not on my regular rotation.Special Features:
- amazing food and serviceART14Dined on 9/6/2014My family and I ate at the Americana before the Eagles concert, and we were all very impressed with the food and service. They also had some really fun cocktails! I should also note that they got us out of there in a timely manner so we were not late for our concert.Special Features:
- Best Sunday BrunchJASpitzDined on 8/31/2014Excellent quality ingredients and a wide range of dishes make this a fantastic Sunday buffet brunch. My favorite was the smoked brisket hash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantBisonFBfanDined on 8/29/2014I found the Americana restaurant in an online search and booked a table for 4 on a Friday evening at 6. The atmosphere was great and the service was outstanding. I can't remember our server's name but she was outstanding. Can't say enough positive about this great restaurant. The food was excellent and the wine and beer menu was expansive. Tried the Organic Stout with a touch of chocolate flavor and thought it was great - had two.Special Features:
- excellent food every timeCabooseDined on 8/27/2014My girlfriend and i have gone uncountable time and are always amazed by the foods even when we try new weird things weve never even heard of. Great place to treat your taste budsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchPedestrianDinerDined on 8/24/2014We went for the Sunday brunch. The Bloody Mary table was most impressive-- a meal in and of itself, practically. We expressed a concern to the server, regarding the cooked food not being hot enough. I could not even attach the word "warm" to describe the food, as it was below that. She graciously acted upon my feedback. The manager came to our table and apologized as well. The flavor of the food was great, it was solely the temperatures that could have been bettered. The restaurant staff increased the temperatures of the food and it was improved after that point. Even with this bump, Americana was a fantastic place to dine and hang with friends/family. Will for sure return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great co-worker lunch celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014Fantastic service, ambience and FOOD! Our party of eight had a great lunch/birthday celebration. Highly Recommend!Special Features:
- Fantastic Des Moines dining!ladyvespaDined on 8/17/2014I love coming to the cities of the Midwest and seeing how they interpret local ingredients, recipes and products. Americana is exactly what I like in a restaurant: a cool, easygoing place that doesn't take itself too seriously (the birthday cake for dessert is funfetti with sprinkles!) but also doesn't mess around when it comes to putting out fresh, locally-inspired and sourced dishes. I really enjoyed sipping a Templeton rye on ice and lingering over the menu's many small plates. And the picture windows, which open onto the neighboring sculpture garden, provide a beautiful space in which to enjoy thoughtfully-prepared, unpretentious cuisine.Special Features:
- Top of our list!AbbyDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful brunch date. He feels like he found a new place to entertain clients. I feel like I need to gather up some girlfriends for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb experience, excellent TapasFarmboyGoneWildDined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent! We had four of the Tapas items and were delighted with all of them. The blend of flavors was superb and creative in each dish and the presentation was very enticing.Special Features:
- Good food, gluten-free menuGFdinerDined on 8/14/2014Had a group of six for lunch, one eating gluten-free. Service was efficient, unobtrusive, pleasant. Food came relatively quickly, and all orders at the same time. Everyone enjoyed their food. The menu has nice selection so everyone could find something they wanted. The separate gluten-free menu is much appreciated - nothing specially prepared, just foods from the regular menu that are gluten-free or can be made so (i.e., a bunless hamburger), but there is plenty to choose from and the separate menu is easier to use.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The Americana brunch is a great time with plenty of excellent prepared food. We will surely be back to enjoy again. We enjoyed the decor but wish the noise level could be reduced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Friday!happyhourgalDined on 8/8/2014We stopped by Americana for a late dinner Friday and it was fabulous! My mom and I tried a couple of the salads and they were a hit. Definitely recommend, but probably not for an intimate date night.Special Features:
- sthomefoodieDined on 8/7/2014Our server was wonderful. Don't remember her name, but she was great! Brought us champagne for our anniversary which as a very sweet thing to do. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- has the potentialdoncarlosDined on 8/3/2014Food was not hot enough. Selection was OK. if i drank, great brunch cocktail bar. No consideration for special requests made at time of request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bombshell Brunch is Best!DelightfulDinerDined on 7/27/2014Food was pretty good, but not the best ever/can't wait to go back. The bottomless Bloody Marys and Mimosas were great. At times, we had to wait to have our plates cleared and glasses replaced, but not too long/often. We did have one member of our party who has trouble walking, so it would have been nice to have been asked when we made reservations and/or were seated if stairs would be a problem for anyone in our party. It was too much for that member of our party, so others had to get that person's food and drinks. Overall it was a great experience, and we are planning to return for another brunch sometime in the future!Special Features:
- Great value for brunchJeastlakeDined on 7/27/2014Our first time at Americana. It was bustling on a Sunday morning with a great brunch. Buffet items were tasty and plentiful, and it was thoughtful that hot buffet items were located in/near the kitchen and replenished frequently. Great place for families with hungry teens. Accoustics are poor and dining is loud, which detracts from overall dining experience. Overall, our experience was very good, and we'd certainly go again.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationMellieDined on 7/20/2014Great location for a family birthday celebration. We had three birthdays at our table of 6 and our server Hannah was awesome! Not to mention the food....YUMMO! Everyone loved what they ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food selection,lousy serviceDanaDined on 7/13/2014I had been to Americana before, but never for brunch. We had a group of 6 and were seated within 5 minutes of showing up (with reservations). I thought there would be a little more selection for the brunch buffet considering what we were paying, but it was all good food, and I left full. My water sat empty for at least 10 minutes before being refilled, and another at our table had to ask for a refill of coffee. One girl who ordered a bloody mary was brought a glass for mimosas instead, but this was corrected. It look a long time to get our checks, even though with it being a buffet, there wouldn't be any changes to our order. The group behind us got there an hour after us and was getting their checks and leaving at the same time.Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceDine4FunVIPDined on 7/4/2014Service was very good, staff eager to assist with selections. Ambiance was modern and perfect for downtown. Very energetic on our visit - perhaps this was an issue with regard to service as seemed very keen to turn table over despite plenty being available. Food was good, lamb very tasty although a little more undercooked then one would expect even for medium-rare, as some parts basically raw. Broccoli appetizer was very tasty. Overall good restaurant and well worth the visit if in Des Moines.Special Features:
- Very nice!FoodbobDined on 7/4/2014This was my first time here -- I came at the recommendation of my companion. Beautiful place. The staff people were cheerful, alert, efficient, and friendly. The food was great -- everything on the menu sounded appealing, and I look forward to returning to sample other things. Americana is a very nice addition to the downtown Des Moines scene, and I am glad to know about it. Also, this was my first time using opentable.com for a reservation. That went without a hitch, even when I had to make a change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the drinksChadVIPDined on 7/3/2014Had high hopes after looking at the menu. There weren't a whole lot of people in the place for normal dinner times, which should have been the first clue. The drinks were good - Moscow Mule along with a Georgia Peach version. We ordered 4 small plates - deviled eggs, seared tuna, Brussels sprouts and Brie. I'm not exaggerating, 3 minutes later all but the sprouts were served. The eggs were rubbery little pieces, the tuna was over cooked yet oddly cold, gelatinous Brie was served already on the crostini with a small dallop of jam. I'd say these were prepared well before that days service had begun. I wanted to ask if these had come straight from the fridge, had the Saran Wrap pulled off on the way to the table.Special Features:
- Never disappointedMulderDSMDined on 6/27/2014We took an out of town friend there who'd never been there. He loved it! Even with the Arts Festival going on right outside the restaurant kept its usual great food and service.Special Features:
- The following 490 reviews are from the Americana - Des Moines reviews archive.
- Good food slow serviceCosmoDined on 6/21/2014I've visited Americana twice and both times the food was good but the service was slow even though they weren't very busy. We were seated and it took a long time before a server even came to the table. I'm not sure if both times I got new servers but they were both slow and didn't have any personality. Overall I enjoyed the food but I have had MUCH better service at lesser restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Good food with a cool decor. Would recommend to friends!Special Features:
- Delicious + Special Occ. FriendlyJOVOVDined on 6/7/2014We reserved a space for a group of 12 for a social baby shower and had a wonderful experience! The staff were friendly, the amazing spread of food was delicious and unique and we were allowed an extended time frame without feeling pushed out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dam to Dam After PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Recently dined at Americana with a group of about 20 people that were friends and family including a number of folks that were from out of town. Was really impressed with the service we received. It started with the greeters who were very accommodating and realized it was important for us to all be close together in the restaurant. They were able to get us all upstairs. Our waitress (Hannah) was extremely attentive and was always checking back in with us to see what we needed. I don't get downtown that frequently but will definitely keep Americana on my short list of places to frequent.Special Features:
- Nice meal @ AmericanaTonedoverDined on 5/30/2014Had a really nice meal last Friday before the Seinfeld concert at the Civic Center. We had the crab rangoon app, I had the lamb, she had the scallops. Fantastic! My only complaint would be i wish the entree portions were larger. The apps and sandwiches are huge so i had probably too high of hopes for the entrees. At least it was delicious and we ate every bite. The server was good and she provided plenty of attention without being annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughJfkdkDined on 5/25/2014Wide variety good selection but actual food was adequate but not out of this world by any means. Neat to order a custom grilled cheese but bread too thick and only a small amount of cheeseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love AmericanaEatsOut247Dined on 5/21/2014Whether its for small plates or Sunday brunch, Americana is sure to please. I always bring friends from out of town here to show it off. Located across from the sculpture park so you can eat all of the amazing food you want and then walk it off after.Special Features: