247 West 30th Street
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://americanwhiskeynyc.com/
- Phone: 2129671070x
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday-Saturday Noon- 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Roger Jacobsen, Jr.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from American Whiskey
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
American Whiskey - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
American Whiskey reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (19)good for groups (16)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (8)fit for foodies (8)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Great PlaceHughLPDined on 9/11/2014From the friendly welcome of the hostess to the service from Kate, great experience. This was my first time here and will definitely tell friends and be back. Duck and Sweet bread sliders, awesome.Special Features:
- Whiskey & FriesElsasolseatsVIPDined on 9/10/2014Surprisingly tasty food and service in this tavern located in an unpromising neighborhood. Booze is the big bait but everything fried is scrumptious— especially the homemade tater tots, the french fries and the seafood— and everything green is crisp and fresh. Young staff are extremely pleasant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/9/2014Great food and drinks make American Whiskey the perfect spot to meet friends after work. Plus, the location is very convenient to Penn Station and MSG. We had a bit of trouble with the service--first being seated more than 20 minutes after our reservation time and then having a waitress that we had to flag down any time we needed anything. But the food and drink might be enough to overlook these service problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Burger I've Ever HadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Great find. I loved the atmosphere and the staff was very friendly and upbeat. This was seriously the best burger I've ever eaten. Unique beers and drinks. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationFineDiningDined on 8/11/2014We were visiting. Had a wonderful meal with family at this location. Menu was great, food portions were just right. All of us enjoyed our individual entrees.Special Features:
- ExcellentNewPlacesVIPDined on 7/23/2014The service was fantastic, the food was also really great!Special Features:
- Notable and knowledgeableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014We stopped by for lunch before a show and wanted to try some new bourbons. Rob and Dwayne were amazing! They spent so much time with us, asking what we like and what we don't like and giving us great suggestions for new options to try. I can't wait to come back and bring my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find near MSGOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/10/2014First time visitor. Was very impressed by the atmosphere, deep cocktail list, and great beer selection. Food was way better than expected. The short rib sandwich was by far the best I've ever had. Jon the beverage man was great! Recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to eat close to MSGfuniteoutDined on 7/7/2014We loved the rustic atmosphere ,actually smells woodsy! Our waitress seated us in the front window, giving us a great view of all the street happenings. We all had different appetizers and entrees and enjoyed them all. Wine was great! Service was excellent,very attentive and timely knowing we had a show to catch. A quick one block walk to MSG made it a perfect before or after show favorite.We would all return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of has it all..CheesePlease11217Dined on 7/2/2014Went with a group of 8-mixed locals and out-of-towners. Literally there was something for everyone, especially when it came to the bar. Craft beers, boutique bourbons, whiskies and ryes and most suprising was that they found some great wines by the glass (normally one of the 3 categories falls down, but they nailed each one). The tater tots were ridiculously good. Those, a slider (healthy sized, by the way) and a salad was more than enough. But the boozy milkshakes!! Not to be missed. Service was very good; timely and knew their stuff. We'll be back.Special Features:
- JessDined on 7/2/2014went there after work for some dinner and a drink. according to my boyfriend, the burger was amazing. my braised short rib sandwich was so, so good. though, if you're not into jalapenos then be careful! this sandwich has a kick to it. Our waitress was really sweet, asked us if we had any questions and was patient. last, they're known for their whiskey but their cocktails are 5 stars worthy as well.Special Features:
- Food was good- service fastFoodie35Dined on 7/2/2014Although menu is very limited the food was good. We were in a hurry to catch a concert but the service was friendly, helpful with food selection and fast. We were very satisfied overall!Special Features:
- PstingDined on 6/21/2014Made a 7pm reservation before Billy Joel concert. We were seated right away which was a good start. Staff was clearly overwhelmed due to the obvious onslaught of concert goers like us so service was slow and I had to jam down my short rib sandwhich so we could get into the concert by 8:15. Sandwhich was good not great. Wife's double apps of fried schrimp and BLT sliders very good. Overall good pre MSG event place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer & whiskey joint...PerlVIPDined on 6/9/2014Stopped here for a few beers with a friend. The menu is geared towards appetizer-sized plates but they do have some entrees. Food quality was very good though. I had the shrimp & oyster po' boy. The beer selection and whiskey list makes it worth it to keep coming back.
- Small PortionsBlandDined on 5/29/2014I dined here w/3 friends on May 29th, right before the Ranger game. We were sat in the back even though we had reservations and it was loud in there. Not a lot of air movement either. Our waitress was pleasant and we ordered our food. The portions we received were ridiculously small for anything other than a French restaurant. The lamb chop lollipop appetizer could have not satisfied a kitten. there were 3 extremely miniscule lamb chops. The short rib sandwich wasn't bad...but the skirt steak came out pre-cut and only had 4 pieces! 4 Pieces for $26? Are you kidding me? And the tator tots were just plain bad. I asked for ketchup and it looked and tasted as if it had not been refrigerated for a while....again, are you kidding me?Special Features:
- The following 43 reviews are from the American Whiskey reviews archive.
- Coach51Dined on 5/7/2014Wait staff were all pleasant. Food was average and a bit over priced. Overall, it's no better, or worse then the average Pub in Mahattan. I would definitely revisit.
- great place before going to MSGOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2014Fun, good drinks, good food, friendly service. Nice atmosphere and attentive waiters and manager. Enjoyed eating and drinking here . We were 4 adults.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good before a show at the GardendevilMvycareDined on 4/18/2014The wait staff were delightful. The food was decent and the whiskey list long but predictable. My only problem was with the bus boys clearing the table as we chewed our last mouthful. They should back off a little. If they're grabbing your plate before you manage to put your knife and fork down, it's just rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeRachelVIPDined on 4/13/2014Wings are fab, sliders amazing, cocktail list very inventive. Its great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice newcomer to MSG NeighborhoodRed1VIPDined on 3/26/2014I go to Madison Square Garden a lot and I'm always looking for new dinner options. American whiskey is very close-one block away- and has a really nice feel to it. 140 or so whiskys was the original draw for the bourbon lover in me, but we have a good experience overall. The dining menu is somewhat limited, and definitely not up to par with some of the other restaurants in the area, but still has something for everyone. Not the kind of place you go for a big steak dinner with wine etc., much more suited for a chicken sandwich or burger along with a bourbon to start and some beer with dinner. I plan to be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a good stand-bytravellerVIPDined on 3/12/2014I've been here several times. Nice whiskey selection. Food is mediocre. Wings are covered in hot sauce and topped with cheese crumbles. Did not care for the cheese crumbles. When I order something called "Braised Short Rib Sandwich," I am expecting a hot sandwich. The meat was cold-room temperature and the bun was a bit wet. But ,the flavor was good. The burger slider is a lot of bun with a patty that is shaped more like a meatball than a patty. Their food gets the job done, but could be much better. Their biggest problem is how loud it is in there. It's very difficult to have conversations in there. Service is very attentive.Special Features:
- Stellar bar-food, great for gamesBrianScottKDined on 3/10/2014Been here quite a few times now and have always enjoyed myself. Great for Happy Hour, MSG pre-gaming, and NFL Sunday Fundays. Not the cheapest sports bar by any stretch of the imagination, but not overpriced at all. While this is certainly a "bar-bar", the food here really is significantly above average. My favorites are the braised short-rib sandwich and the duck slider, but the wings are also quite good. I've even taken my parents here twice (as it's so close to Penn Station). As the name suggests, they have a ridiculous whiskey selection, and their bottled beer list is above average. Look, there are slim pickins in this hood. Everyone knows that. But American Whiskey has quickly become my go-to spot in an otherwise bland area of NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for Penn StationShaeVIPDined on 3/7/2014Met a friend here for a quick lunch before hopping on a train - and wished we could have stayed longer. Great brunch options on a Friday afternoon, and good drink / beer selection. I got the French Canadian Egg Sandwich - an English muffing with a runny fried egg, applewood smoked bacon and... get this... a huge SLAB of foie gras. It was pretty damn amazing. To find food that isn't just microwaved to order in the vacinity of Penn is, truly, a feat. Was surprised it wasn't more busy... but it is currently hiding under a construction scaffold. Anyways, will now be my pre-Penn stop whenever I have some time to kill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place, food acceptableNataliDined on 3/4/2014Food wasn't fantastic but it wasn't bad either. The whiskey flights are fun and the bar menu is too. Overall pretty good. Not outstanding but acceptable and fun.Special Features:
- I loved this place. It wasDMR624Dined on 3/4/2014I loved this place. It was big and airy. Didn't feel squeezed and it was very close to MSG.Special Features:
- Great before a Rangers Game!!SofaincDined on 2/27/2014Went here before a Rangers game! Table was ready when we got there! The bar area was rocking! Great wait staff!! One person in our party had a shell fish allergy and the waitress went out of her way to inform him about possible menu items that are cooked on the same grill as some shell fish! A+++*Special Features:
- Love ItKayouchDined on 2/19/2014It was a last minute decision to eat here but very glad we did. Our waitress was great, drinks and food were awesome and they have happy hour till 8pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UneventfulGhostDined on 2/3/2014Great whiskey list other than that everything else was overprice the food was not that good and the staff was horrible had to ask for the obvious like ketchup and had to wait for a while to get itSpecial Features:
- Good food, sad serviceDuddubDined on 2/2/2014We ate hear before heading to the Meadowlands for the Super Bowl. The food was quite good but I'm afraid this was overshadowed by the very bad service. We waited a while for drinks and then the waitress came back and took our drink order again and drinks still took unexplainably long. This gave us plenty of time to peruse the lunch menus, and when we could finally place an order for wings the server let us know they didn't serve wings until 3pm (on Super Bowl Sunday?) and we had the wrong menus (lunch instead of brunch). Almost anything we asked for (extra napkins, ketchup, etc) required asking twice. Maybe the waitress was number of tables? If so, I would expect a bar near Penn Station to be amply staffed on Super Bowl Sunday.Special Features:
- Great PlaceNicks575Dined on 1/29/2014Cool place! Great for a drink and appetizer before or after a show.Special Features:
- whiskey lovers paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/28/2014Great Service, Great Food, Excellent Bourbon And Whiskey Selection. early Dinner Reservations AreRecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2014We arrived at the restaurant early to find we had a "community" table where we would sit with other parties. It was the only table of its type we saw in the restaurant. The menu is light, appetizers, salads and sandwiches. The food was great and service was very good. We'll definitely go back, if we can sit alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location great for pregameJohnyLouiseDined on 1/27/2014Location great for pregame (MSG) bite to eat. Vibrant bar scene, but very limited food menu. Specialty drinks were fair and they were unable to make a apple martini. Whiskey was high-priced and less than a generous pour.Special Features:
- Great vibe, good foodRachelVIPDined on 1/25/2014Such a great place, the normal portions are huge, so luckily they have sliders which are actually normal size burgers! The cocktail list is so imaginative. Such fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food, cocktails, beer and atmosRachelVIPDined on 1/17/2014Enjoyed it so much we went twice! The wings are really good, so is the bone marrow toast. The beers are varied and the cocktails really imaginative. Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKNancyDined on 1/11/2014The restaurant was very crowed Yale vs Harvard Hockey game at MSG. Lots of energy but the food didn't live up to what I was hoping for. It was OK.Special Features:
- Limited EstablishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/19/2013If you are looking for unique IPA beers with a limited menu, then American Whiskey is the place. Not flexible at all with food requests. For example, how can you serve Caeser Salad but not allow customers to add a piece of grilled chicken? Come on!
- Nyc eventPattiPDined on 12/14/2013Walked from Radio City after show expecting a nicer type of restaurant but was surprised to see it was a bar. Great sports bar. Lots of TVs but wasn't there for that reason. Great beer list and scotch/whiskey but not great choice of food or snacks.Special Features:
- It was definitely a diningjamesbond33Dined on 12/13/2013It was definitely a dining experience as opposed to eating but at times it tended to go a little bit slower than I would have preferred. Still delicious and not so slow that it would turn me away though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bar tendersOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/10/2013The bartenders are too slow.. Paid no attention to us at the bar, never refilled water, had to scream for them for at least 5 mins to get a second drink..Miscounted my change, naturally in their favor... not impressedSpecial Features: