American Tap Room - Richmond, VA
1601 Willow Lawn Drive
Richmond, VA 23230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
American Tap Room - Richmond, VA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.americantaproom.com/
- Phone: (804) 308-9013
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from American Tap Room - Richmond, VA
This is American Regional Cuisine at its classic, pub-inspired best. The food is fun and what we like to call “approachable”. You’ll also enjoy some twists on the classics with taste-inspired ideas like our Dirty Caesar Salad and Greek Turkey Burger. At the American Tap Room we believe in using local ingredients as much as possible and, yes, everything we serve goes well with beer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
American Tap Room - Richmond, VA reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (4)vibrant bar scene (4)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (3)special occasion (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- okawesomeVIPDined on 11/25/2014service was outstanding, food was not cooked properly --- rare isnt hard for a steak and over cooking it and then grossly under cooking wasnt what I desired or planned on paying for but we did. The kids steak was also over cookedSpecial Features:
- About What I ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Positives - our server was terrific; very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and other random questions we asked. I wish I had remembered his name to later pay a compliment. I had the butternut squash soup and a spinach salad. Both came as ordered and were very tasty. Negatives - it's a chain. For someone who generally avoids chains, there isn't a feel here of uniqueness. The hostess was on a personal call when we first arrived and her welcome statement was so mumbled that I had to ask her to repeat what she said. Our table was against the wall that separated the restaurant from the bar. The bass from the televisions was so intense we could feel the vibrations. It was also loud, though the wall. Again, I may be overly sensitive to these things as I do not normally patronize chains and/or "sports bars" type of places. If I was at the mall, shopping with friends, etc. I would definitely return if we wanted to have "real" food vs the fast food offerings at the mall. But to choose a place to go to dinner? Probably not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will probably never go againTND873Dined on 11/15/2014The staff was very unorganized. We made a reservation and the host told us that he was going to clear our table and was gone for about 8 minutes. After waiting 15 minutes after we ordered we were told that they were out of the dish that my girlfriend ordered which was the pan seared jumbo scallops. She was then brought the menu and rushed into making another decision. I think the least that they could have done was have a manager acknowledge and apologize that we didn't get one of the meals that was ordered and offered a discount. Our waiter was nice but you could tell he was inexperienced.Special Features:
- Food needs improvement.LomoDined on 11/7/2014Great location; beautiful dining room. Too bad the food does not come close to meeting the expectations of the setting.Special Features:
- Poor OverallTurtleDined on 10/27/2014Had to wait to be seated, no server at front door. Told gentleman that seated us that it was grandsons birthday, and surprise guest was coming to dine with us but was running late. Service was average. Grandsons birthday, cake brought to table in Martins box. Had to ask for silverware,and another beer. Waitress made nothing special, after telling her that grandson picked the restraunt, because he wanted the pretzel restraunt and it was his birthday. Had a guest come in from Northern VA and they were not satisfied either. Very few people in restraunt or bar area, no reason for lack of service, overall very unhappy for special occasion.
- Great for Birthday Celebrationlove2dineDined on 10/16/2014I took my boyfriend for dinner and we had a great time. The food and service were off the charts fabulous! Blair had a burger and decided that it was the best burger he has had in Richmond, VA. The cheese steak egg rolls will keep us coming back.Special Features:
- A Total DisappointmentrichiepugDined on 9/21/2014We dined here for my Daughters Birthday after having been told that the restaurant was pretty good, alas we were misinformed. The service was average but the food was absolutely tasteless and bland. The brownie desert was more like cake rather than brownie. Needless to say we will not be returning
- An unknownJamesVIPDined on 9/7/2014We were a little disappointed. We had reservation which included a contact number, yet it was not until we got to the restaurant that we find out that part of the kitchen was non-operational due to an accident. It would have been nice if they had notified us before we showed up. Since what remained of the menu options we were not interested in, we decided to eat elsewhere.
- Mrs.SanderssheliaDined on 8/25/2014This is a great place dinning area was nice and my waitresses was very informative. But I did miss out on more options of food to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SorryDined on 8/23/2014best part of the meal was the fries. waitress came to the table once after being served and we had to have someone hunt her down to pay our bill. not sure we'll go back for meal, but maybe a beer.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Better for smaller groups based on our experience- food was great as usual but the waitress wasn't prepared for a group of 6 this night-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Add Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Came for brunch , no longer offered. Need to promote to religious organization,s and social groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerTapHouseDined on 8/2/2014Awesome food. Awesome service. My recommendation is to make a reservation. People walking in were being told an hour to an hour and a half wait for a table. Its worth the wait though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the American Tap Room - Richmond, VA reviews archive.
- waitressbirthdayDined on 7/26/2014Waitress did not have any knowledge of food what so ever. Did not check on us at all. I had to go to the bar to order more drinks and still she had not come back to our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frozen Dinner-Weak DrinksNotParticularDined on 7/21/2014Let me preface this by saying that I have a forgiving palate. Ordered the half chicken dinner. Chicken was pale and the meat was dry and hard. My mojito had no alcohol in it, therefore, as a limeade, it wasn't too bad. Won't go here again if I can help it.
- Hoped for betterstilllookinDined on 7/12/2014Server was slow, waited to long for drink refills. When appetizer came out had to request small plates, my husband's dinner came to the table 2-3 minutes before mine, was not anything to brag about for either of us. And I think they used canned or jarred mushrooms on his rib eye. Blah!Special Features:
- Bad, just bad!Dinner44Dined on 7/11/2014Great service. Great Beer. Horrible food. Just a decent bar in fancy clothes.
- Awesome!ShermdogDined on 7/5/2014Great beer selection with rotating taps. Fantastic food. The chicken and waffles were exquisit. Beer pairings would have been helpful for meals, server didn't seem to know what would go well with dinner items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great grub in Willow LawnEZDinerVIPDined on 6/12/2014This is a pub-type place in the Willow Lawn shopping center, with an outdoor patio and booths and tables inside. It has a wide range of pub-type sandwiches, salads and entrees, including a terrific Greek turkey burger. Service was extremely attentive, and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- TilaDined on 6/10/2014If you are into all the craft beers- it's great- some nice different appetizer's- food good -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a bummer on Mother's DaymaybeitsjustmeDined on 5/11/2014We were really looking forward to another great meal on Mothers Day at ATR. We could not have been more wrong. There were only 4 waiters working the entire restaurant; there was one bus boy, one manager, no "runners" and no "bar backs". The waiters were strung from end to end across the restaurant (not even assigned to "zones" much less tables),and they didn't seem to do too badly actually taking the food orders. However, once your order was taken, there was no way to tell where your food was or how it was going to get to you. We ordered a 2-pretzel appetizer... only 1 pretzel arrived and by the time it did the 4 dips had cooled to the point that each had a "skin." And it was all down hill from there. MAJOR disappointment. =(
- Great Lunch SpotAlanDined on 5/9/2014Fairly new restaurant in an open air shopping center. Very busy place but our reservation was honored immediately and there was no wait for a table. Prices were fair and the food was good. Service was very good and the staff very friendly.Special Features:
- Limited MenuMemberx23Dined on 4/25/2014We loved the atmosphere of this place but the menu was quite limited. Due to an issue with my order we actually only indulged in appetizers. I think they should consider expanding their menu to include some better options. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive. We can't really see going back to this location unless we just want to grab a few drinks in the summer.Special Features:
- its all Greek to me!MrsHennyDined on 4/24/2014The Greek Turkey Burger is on the light menu but it is heavy on taste and I loved the salad that came with. The sweetpotatoe bun was a fun twist and I will definitely get it again. I went for brunch with a girlfriend and I can't wait to take my Husband!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over all reviewlunchDined on 4/11/2014Our group lunch was so nice, we throughly enjoyed being together and our service was GREAT :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating significant others birt1stBFBday2getherDined on 3/30/20142nd time for me but first time for him We both love food and was very satisfied. Using the online reservation was helpful. He didn't expect to get such a big entree and had to eat the left overs for breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go backJaymzDined on 3/30/2014We had a $50 gift card so we decided to try this place since we had never been there. I am not usually a picky eater but my steak was supposed to be medium and came out very rare (had to send it back). I ordered crab soup for an appetizer and it basically tasted like tomato vegetable soup (fyi..not served with any crackers or bread either). My wife got meat loaf which was rather dry and came with no sauce. They brought out her onion straws five minuted into the meal and they were so burned they were bitter and inedible. My wife had ice water and never got a refill. My "loaded" baked potato came with a small dab of sour cream and a little sprinkle of cheese. Overall, very disappointed. Won't be going back.
- Decent, but would not go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2014The food and service were just alright. We had a group of about 9 people, 2 of whom wanted to just order fries and leave quickly (which was fine with us) and our server didn't think they would be able to get their food and eat quickly, within 25 minutes. First red flag. Obviously the rest of us were content to take our time ordering and receiving our food, but it should not take even 10 minutes to get French fries for just 2 people. The rest of the food tasted alright, rather generic, but one other friend did not receive her chicken salad for at least 25 minutes after everyone else received their food. This was comped, but a little ridiculous that it took so long for this girl to receive her food in the first place. Will not recommend.
- Professional and friendlyFrankDined on 3/8/2014Professional and friendly staff. Food quality excellent with the exception of home made chips. They are extremely salty and in my opinion "not edible".Special Features:
- Knowledgeable server, great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014My hubby and I went here for a date night, and we really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The service was excellent; our server seemed very experienced and knowledgeable about both the beers we tried and the entire menu. I had the scallops, which were perfectly seared, and my husband had a steak dish, which he was able to cut with a butter knife. Dessert was the banana bread pudding, which was also delicious. The one thing I think is a little odd is the lack of seating near the entrance. Despite having a reservation, we did have to wait a bit, and there was limited space. This may be a non-issue during warmer weather, as there was also an outside seating/waiting area. All in all, a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEER/WINE LIST EXTENSIVE.TAP/TAPOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014BEER/WINE LIST EXTENSIVE.TAP/TAP SHRIMP PERFECT COMPLIMENT WITH BEER SELECTION. A LITTLE SKIMPY ON MAIN COURSE PROVIDED-YOU ALSO HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR SIDES.OVERALL A FINE EXPERIENCE-GREAT FOR FRIDAY NIGHT UNDWIND.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2014The brunch really wasn't all it was cracked up to be. It was a buffet that was nestled into a corner so it got very crowded very quick. The food was okay but nothing special. I would go back for lunch or a beer but not for Sunday brunch. It wasn't worth the $16.95 and there were no menu options to chose from.Special Features:
- YumHowlerVIPDined on 2/4/2014Chicken and waffle? The portion was enough for two and was delicious.The meatloaf serving was perfectly done and enough to feed the hungriest. Matt the server was very accommodating and alerted us to the portion sizes and suggested the correct beer for our taste.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchHearsawhoDined on 2/2/2014This was my third trip to ATR. But it was the first for brunch. There was a long wait for eggs and then they were not cooked to my liking. Not sure if I will do the brunch again but will go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OkayChaccofVIPDined on 1/25/2014ATR is sort of like a Friday's but with a bit more "local" flavor. Great selection of beer, however the service was a bit lacking....our appetizer never arrived and when we asked where it was were told that the server forgot to enter it....at that point it was too late. We actually got our side salad's before we got our initial drink orders which was odd. Anyway, I don't think we'd rush back. Maybe if we were in the area, but thats it....
- Good chain restaurantPaw722Dined on 1/25/2014Glad I made a reservation on a busy Saturday evening, otherwise a 50 minute wait. Large, comfortable booth, lighting bright enough to read menu. Friendly, efficient and attentive waitress though she was very busy. Knowledgeable about beer on rotating menu. Portions were sufficient for my hungry husband. Prices reasonable for drinks, soup, full meals and dessert. Decor was pub-like, comfortable yet stylish. Would definitely go back and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a nice evening. ThecatsDined on 1/18/2014We had a nice evening. The food was good and it was not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedValerieDined on 1/14/2014I was at the restaurant for my fourth time , a week ago. I have sent 16 people there, that night I brought 2 more new people. I ordered the turkey burger that I've enjoyed before and it was dry, had hardly any taziki sauce and no hummus on it. The Greek side salad was fine. One of my guests ordered the trout and she didn't get it until about 10 minutes after the rest of us received our food, which was cold by the time hers arrived. I have enjoyed the restaurant up until that time and I hope it was just an off night. We didn't complain because we had suggested it to our friends and felt a little stupid! I tried to contact you at Willow Lawn through your web site but there was no contact for Willow Lawn so I sent it to Reston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience every time.JenniferDined on 1/11/2014Went to the bar twice, restaurant 3 times. Bar is fun, food good, but crowded. That could be good or bad depending on what you want. Food and service at restaurant excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above and BeyondmkinvaDined on 1/9/2014We were greeted promptly and the waiter and trainee were both knowledgeable about the menu. When it came time to order my boyfriend asked if they could do his steak pittsburgh rare and if they could not he understood. Well they did try but his steak was more on the well done side but the char was right. I got the NY strip as well and it was FANTASTIC! When the waiter came back he could see that the steak was overdone but we told him it was no big deal and it was a hard temp to cook. As soon as we were done the managers and the chef came over and comped the enire meal! They certainly went above and beyond to make sure we left happy ( we would have anyway because the food and servcie were great!). I highly recommend giving it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.