American Junkie Chicago
15 W Illinois St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
American Junkie Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.americanjunkiechi.com/
- Phone: 3122390995x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 5:00 pm - 2:00 am
Friday: 3 pm - 2:00 am
Saturday: 11:00 am - 3:00 am
Sunday: 11:00 am - 2:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kendal Duque
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating with family and friends or hosting your next corporate event, American Junkie Chicago is the ideal venue. With event space both upstairs and down, we can accommodate a variety of event sizes and styles.
Private Dining Menus available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Nowaske 8669453503
- Entertainment: Bringing top of the line live music and DJ entertainment to River North!
- Special Events: Catch all your Chicago sports on the biggest HDTV around!
A word from American Junkie Chicago
Neatly tucked in the heart of River North, American Junkie is a sprawling building with impressive modern details paying tribute to all things American. From the contemporary American cuisine to the all American-made custom furniture and retractable walls and roof, one can only call this place home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
American Junkie Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
- Mixed reviews from our groupCityChicDined on 4/21/2014I took a group of out-of-town clients here for a casual dinner. Overall, it's a pretty standard sports bar feel (maybe a little better than your average sports bar since it's massive and there are tons of tvs). Food was okay - nothing terrible, nothing special. There was a group of 5 of us so we asked that for the appetizers they add another piece (ie - for the tuna tartar, 5 rice crackers; for the shrimp, 5 pieces of shrimp) -- neither was done, so not sure if that was a mistake of the server or the kitchen. Also, one of my guests got a bad glass of wine, however the server was quick to promptly take it and replace it. Overall I'd say it was fine, but not sure I'd come back for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/16/2014I had dinner there and the food was amazing and our server was fantastic! I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Dinner/Bottle serviceMlarsDined on 4/12/2014We went for dinner with a large group on a Saturday night. The service was amazing, accomodating three separate reservations and seating us all close to one another. The doormen and waitresses were all amazing and on point. I was highly disappointed in my meal. Four of us had the Santa Fe Chicken Salad, which lacked sufficient chicken. My salad also had no cheese on it. We also ordered bacon wrapped dates as an app, which were quite good. Others at the table seemed pleased with their meals, but I would NOT recommend the salad.Special Features:
- Not a bad stopSouthLoopSavvyDined on 4/12/2014American Junkie has a decent sized menu, great for picky eaters looking for something new. In congruence with its name, it has most of the american standbys you'd want to see on a menu. Cobb Salad, a good burger, and plenty of sandwiches or full sized entrees to choose from. My girlfriend and I split the bison burger (which was good because it was HUGE), some grilled asparagus, bacon wrapped dates, and a few beers. Everything was good, but if you're looking for classic American and would rather not pay $14 for a good burger then head to Rock Bottom next door.Special Features:
- Not open as web site/menu indicatedAmyHDined on 4/12/2014Had Groupon and arrived for an early lunch- we had plans to be on the other side of town rest of day touring. Arrived at the time shown on the Groupon and validated on the the American Junkie website of 11am. The restaurant seemed deserted and no one around. We waited until 11:30 am - still not open/door locked (we could see through the glass windows and doors/the lights were not on. Disappointing. Tried again next day. No hostess to seat us. Had my 10 year old daughter with me - not an appropriate atmosphere for kids as the music and bar scene started at around 4pm. Pros: Food was excellent Loved the open windows looking out over street Cons: Inaccurate website for hours Not suitable for family dining Music too loud Missing hostessSpecial Features:
- My New FaveTheMac007Dined on 4/10/2014Went here on a date. We both had great food and good service. It's very hip and young crowd. It was a pit noise but I didn't mind it at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SatisfiedPickyEaterDined on 4/2/2014This was my first time here. We were looking for a dinner spot close to the Sheraton Hotel & Towers and this ended up being perfect for all four of us. The food was delicious, the atmosphere was fresh and the service was great. This is a good date place or place for groups for people in their 20's-40's. I will definitely be back, especially when they open up the garage windows in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after-work hotspot!pramiladDined on 3/31/2014Was here for an early dinner but can see this as a must-have for after-work Happy hours!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sports and ambiancesturnDined on 3/19/2014I brought my date to American Junkie to watch the Illinois game. It was a Wednesday night, the restaurant was not particularly busy and we were able to get great seats with immediate service. This place is quite nice and the food was really good. Wednesday night promotion was 1/2 price wine bottles; their selection ranged from house to high-end with a decent selection of styles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not soldDanielleVIPDined on 3/8/2014I like American Junkie a lot. However, each time I have ate here the food has just been so-so. The one thing they do well is a burger and sweet potato fries. You should skip appetizers and the flat breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent bar food, a tad salty...perhOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/8/2014decent bar food, a tad salty...perhaps to sell more beer. Pleasant surroundingsSpecial Features:
- Ladies night outKrad5Dined on 3/6/2014Went for the first time with a few friends and we had a great time. Our waitress was attentive and very friendly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and for watching sportsMichluvs2dineVIPDined on 3/1/2014Enjoyed the Hockey game at American Junkie. Great views of TVs and really good atmosphere and food too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative dishes. HalfIzzyDined on 2/28/2014Very creative dishes. Half price small plates during Happy Hour. Very attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much easier at lunch!GMarieDined on 2/12/2014Took a friend on Wednesday for lunch and it was great. Service was top-notch and the food came out warm and fast. Much better experience than the snotty crowd on a Friday night at 7pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was better than the foodHellookittyDined on 2/7/2014Went here during the night of the opening Olympics ceremony it was pretty crowded and loud. However it is a bar so that is certainly understandable. Our waitress was great and vert attentive even though she was busy. The food was not bad, but nothing to rave about. I would say the yummy description did not live up to the name. Also rather pricey for fair tasting bar food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, crappy servicerestaurantweeknewbieDined on 1/31/2014Probably due to restaurant week but our server was sweet but unattentive. They first stopped n't 15minutes after we were seated never were asked if we needed more drinks, but as much as we didn't see her through our meal, our check was ready 30 sec after we askedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehkmassDined on 1/29/2014have to admit - was trying to choose from a variety of river north spots for restaurant week lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday, and was disappointed. lunch for 3 of us took at least an hour and a half - we were late getting back to work. we did not order complicated items - only one of us did the restaurant week deal. service was incredibly slow for food, and it was not crowded at all. my friend's grilled cheese/soup was barely warml, and my salmon was cooked well but could have used some more flavor. they were kind to give us a free birthday dessert, but that also took forever. i know this spot is more well known for it's late night bar atmosphere, but for being in river north with the work lunch crowd, it is not a place i'd suggest.
- great seafood!DebredDined on 1/25/2014Had a reservation for 7 pm on a Saturday, first time there, good service, great chowder and lobster roll, husband really liked the burger and sweet potatoe fries, noise level increased w.hile there, couldn't hear each other toward the end of our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American junkie gone wrongChicagofoodieDined on 1/25/2014The presentations of food and service are great. Good place for dates or groups.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. It was pretty over priced for the quality of food. I would consider this good "Bar Food" not restaurant quality. Steak was over cooked but they promptly replaced it with one that was adequate. Do NOT get the spinach dip. There is virtually no flavor, it tasted like canned spinach. It was strange to me that there was no drink menu and I sat with no drink for quite a while. I was drinking $12 cocktails so id imagine that she would want to increase the tab but never asked me if id like another. Simply just skipped over me and cleared plates.Special Features:
- Good Timesgr8tnightDined on 1/23/2014The food was outstanding, 5 of us each ordered different entrees and everyone was very happy! Must go on Thursday for the fireball over ice YUMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud but good food.heathr416Dined on 1/19/2014It was so loud in there I couldn't even talk to the person I came with. Amazing food but so loud !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i went there with wife andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/19/2014i went there with wife and 4 kids durning NFL playoff's my bad. We had res at 5 got the table at 5:45. Service was very slow and when got the food 50% was wrong and other problems such as no silverware , mustard and kethup. note manager did a good thing and comp the 2 pizza that were totally wrong
- Let downMsblyssVIPDined on 1/19/2014Overall great place.. The food came up short not for the lack of flavor but I ordered the rock shrimp as a appetizer and I think they gave us 3 shrimp and the rest was tempur lemons a peppers and about 4 pieces of calamari very good not worth $12 bucksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will definitely be backOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/12/2014American junkie was a random open table find that I am so glad I found. The food is tremendous as well as our awsome server Mando he helps us through the entire menu he gave us awsome recommendations on not only food but drinks. The vibe is awsome as well as the music. The octopus was to die for. On Sunday nights they give fifty percent off for the industry discount. I'm telling everyone about this place and can't wait to come back. Thanks for everything Mando.Special Features:
- Even though your website showsMiltowngirlDined on 1/11/2014Even though your website shows the restaurant looking fun and outstanding....we had NO idea that it was going to be 40 TV's and so loud you couldn't talk to your friends without leaning into their face. This is a sports bar. Period. Not good for dinner and conversation.Special Features:
- Sports barpcljelmdDined on 1/11/2014If you are looking to watch a game this is the place. Big screen tv's cover all wall surfaces. Big crowd when we were there so it was very noisy.Special Features:
- RUDE STAFFHospitalityloverDined on 12/31/2013Hostess were extremely rude. They did not want to help told us it was a 15min wait that turned into an hour and a half just to be told they couldn't seat us at all. If you are not dressed to impress your not welcomed at this establishment. I will never go back and will inform all my hotel and concierge friends not to go as well.Special Features:
- All around a great place toAlyssaDined on 12/28/2013All around a great place to grab dinner and drinks or just hang out by the bar. Food is delicious - you have to try the grilled octopus!Special Features:
- Good sports bar with bad food.shanghaijbVIPDined on 12/21/2013Nice place to watch sports, have a drink and hang out with friends. Service was good and efficient, but forget the food, it comes directly off the shelf of a supermarket.Special Features:
- America JunkieOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2013Food was ok, server was friendly, hostesses/first impression was not so great. I told the hostess we had a reservation and gave her my name, it must not have registered because they marked my as a no show on open table. She first showed us to a bar table right in front of the door and asked if it was ok....uh, no. About 50% of the restaurant was empty...and we had a reservation...so I expect to be sat at an actual dining table that is not directly in front of the door when it is below freezing. She found another table, and while she was not rude about it, she was certainly not very friendly about it either. Restaurant resolved no show issue on Open Table. I would go back if someone really wanted to go, but would not be my first choice.
- good food, but poor servicedinerQDined on 10/25/2013The food was great, but the service left something to be desired. I had made a reservation yet the hostess referred us to the open seating area instead as she was more interested in talking with the other hostesses. Additionally, although the waitress started off strong she decided to take a 20 minute hiatus, which delayed our departure. Overall I would potentially consider going back because of the food, but I would be hesitant to refer a friend there as the service certainly curbed the experience.Special Features:
- American Junkie Food and DrinksHRC818Dined on 10/18/2013This is not the first time I have been to American Junkie. Me and 6 friends had met up for drinks and food. They service was fantastic!!! we had a waitress and she had 2 helpers with her. The food on the other hand had high points and low points. Over all its a place to hang out with friends for apps and drinks.. before you go upstairs to the night club party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blunderful Evening.R2d2Dined on 10/11/2013Poor service. Forgot our appetizers. Wine came half way through entree. Looks like a great place but extremely bad experience. Incompetent but cute(?) assistant manager only made things worse.
- Lousy manager!henkDined on 10/10/2013I have made a reservation three weeks in advance to watch the Bears play the Giants. When eventually got there with a business partner, we were told that our table was taken by other people who were then unwilling to leave. Instead of providing us with an alternative the manager told us to wait until the game was over!?! What a loser... We left the shack and found a much better place to watch the game and enjoy good food and beers. Thanks for giving away our table!
- Good Spot in River Northmbt725Dined on 10/2/2013So River North has many options and American Junkie is pretty good. Not my favorite River North spot, but I tried it for the first time for dinner after work and I would definitely go again. Service was really good and very attentive, plus they were great at making recommendations. We split a flatbread for an appetizer and it was ok, but the sliders were really tasty! The ambiance and design of the restaurant are really nice...it was a nice night so they had all the windows open which made it great to sit back and enjoy some after work drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service a littlePittsburghDined on 9/28/2013Food was good, service a little slow and noise level was pretty significant for any kind of conversation but enjoyed being there.Special Features:
- Food was good, not great,KaklaxVIPDined on 9/27/2013Food was good, not great, and expensive for what it is.Special Features:
- Pork Belly Sliders - enough said.Ozzie2ChiTownDined on 9/20/2013But I will say more. I was surprised to see how low ratings AJ got on OT, but getting a reservation was easy so I was happy. This was my second time here and was blown away by their food again. The place is loud but worth it for the food and a game. My only complaint was they didn't have the lamb chop lollipops on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.