American Grocery Restaurant
732 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Grocery Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.americangr.com/
- Phone: (864) 232-7665
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner : Tuesday - Thursday: Bar 5:00 pm - until; Dinner 6:00 pm - until
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Clarke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: American Grocery Restaurant offers private dinners in our intimate private dining room designed specifically for smaller business or personal affairs. Our private dining room will accommodate up to twelve comfortably with a variety of menu options we will tailor to your preferences. Additionally, our entire facility is available for buyout to accommodate larger events.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Clarke 864-363-2862x
A word from American Grocery Restaurant
Located in Greenville's Historic West End...American Grocery Restaurant serves refined American Seasonal Cuisine sourced from local and regional farms and artisan producers from within the United States. Chef Joe Clarke creates the daily menu based on the freshest ingredients he can procure from farmers by highlighting the bounty of the seasons. AGR's award-winning wine list, designed by Certified Sommelier Darlene Mann-Clarke, features small production boutique wines sure to elevate your dining experience. Come enjoy our warm craftsman-like dining room and let our knowledgeable staff take care of you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
American Grocery Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
American Grocery Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)special occasion (38)romantic (27)notable wine list (27)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (8)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- limited menu but dinner was fine, service was...GregDined on 11/15/2014limited menu but dinner was fine, service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelllent foodvhoeneckeDined on 11/15/2014The dinner was memorable. We had the pre-fixed menu with the wine paring and it was excellent. By far the best dinner I had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On My Top-10-Favorite-Restaurants ListBrendieDined on 11/14/2014American Grocery is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere, not just Greenville. They use food from local farms and purveyors, which is always a great start. Many restaurants that have that great base don't get much further. I have eaten at AG maybe 6 or 7 times now, over the course of about 3 years, and they have executed an amazing meal every time. So, this rating is based on all of those experiences, not just one. This is one place where I will experiment with things like blood sausage, wild boar meatballs and sweet breads, because they always wow me, and anyone I am dining with. Also, when you order a salad, it is a great size, not just a few leaves of greens on a plate. I love my greens, and that is usually one of the most lacking pieces at most restaurants. We had a raw massaged kale salad at the start, as well as a mixed greens salad, this last time. Both were large and the house made dressings were perfect. The cocktails are outstanding, too. I usually skip bread at restaurants, but here, when it's served with house made sweet potato butter, or whatever other seasonal spin they are serving up, it's worthy of an exception. The ambience is really good and comfortable, not boring and glossy like much of Greenville. We were running late due to traffic leaving Asheville (yes, this place is worth leaving Asheville for) and we called and they were very polite about bumping our reservation back by 15 minutes, and our server helped us still get to our show at the Peace Center on time. People expecting very basic food from the south might be a little unsure of what to do with this menu, but anyone who has traveled a bit will be pleasantly surprised by this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Me and my boyfriend went there for my birthday and we had an amazing time! Our server was Ian and he was amazing! He had great suggestions and was extremely friendly! He have us extrordinary service!! It was our first time and we were impressed!! I got the flounder and my boyfriend got the rabbit! It was literally the best food I've ever had! It was a nice relaxed environment and terrific overall!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hopefully I'm wrongPalmettoDined on 11/1/2014We have been here before and the food was excellent. They try very hard to provide a unique menu that satisfies those hungry for something a little different. This trip they had a great menu but the execution was lacking. My rabbit tasted like rotisserie chicken from Ingles and my wife's flounder, while cooked perfectly, had zero flavor and did not appear to be seasoned at all. I love the concept of this "farm to table" restaurant but I feel like they have crossed the line between pretentious and genuine. I hope they go back the other way and soon.
- Couldn't decideJustonemoreDined on 10/25/2014The menu is so amazing, we couldn't decide what to order because we anted to try it all! Ended up with ribeye and trout and both were delicious. We will definitely be back on our next visit to Greenville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic and masterfulROADTRIP2ALL48Dined on 10/23/2014loved the atmosphere and the best part is the location is in downtown Greenville, but not in the area the so overly crowded. The staff were great and knowledgeable. Only downside was on my behalf, I wish I would have done the 4 course meal with wine pairing.Special Features:
- Yum!!VickyGDined on 10/22/2014I felt pampered as a drink was curated FOR me. I asked for a cocktail with a "sour" theme, and was presented with a lovely concoction of mezcal, ginger syrup, lime juice and bitters and I don't know what else, but it was de-lish. Reminiscent of a margarita, but more mature. Then feasted on artisinal cheese and charcuterie (I chose smoked trout pate). A fabulous fish and seafood dish was my main coarse. I finished with a devil's food concoction that reminded me of a "suzy q", but for a much more refined and appreciative palette :) We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It was a gastronomical treat in a relaxing, inviting atmosphere. Kudos!!!Special Features:
- Best food in town, service not sotraveldineDined on 10/18/2014We've been to American Grocery six or seven times. The food was excellent, again. I had a terrific squash/summer salad and rabbit entree and my husband's gnudi were terrific. It was quite crowded; though we ate early and had asked for the window, we were placed by the door so that people and wait staff walking by kept knocking our chairs, but more irritating was that at a very long time passed before our drink orders were taken and far longer before they were delivered. I like a leisurely meal but staring at an empty table for forty minutes with nothing to drink is another matter. Again, though we were early, they "ran out" of trout by the time the order for our table was taken. Something was off with the organization.Special Features:
- ExcellentLuv2wineandineVIPDined on 10/18/2014Been there twice now. Excellent both times. Will definitely return when the opportunity presents.Special Features:
- A++!RG325iDined on 10/8/2014Best ribeye in all of my 28 years! Service was as good as could be asked. Bummed out I was only in Greenville for one night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/4/2014This little gem of a restaurant is simply outstanding. This was our second visit and I can honestly say it is one of the best restaurants in the South. From the craft cocktails to the amazing profiteroles we had for dessert, each dish brought to our table was created with attention to every detail. The fish entrees were delicious - I especially enjoyed the cornmeal dusted trout which was served on a bed of perfectly cooked collard greens. The charcuterie plate and the fried deviled egg appetizer were the perfect starters. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent/Highly recommendedBmoreSteveDined on 9/27/2014Our dinner was an excellent experience. The restaurant is intimate despite its openness and the noise level was surprisingly low. The wine list is small but good. The service was terrific. Our waiter, Justin, was attentive and knowledgeable. The chef was very flexible, offering to substitute fish on a preparation for one he had run out of. The menu is a bit funky, but there are more traditional options for the less adventurous. The food itself was quite good. We are from a larger city than Greenville and travel extensively, always looking for top-notch restaurants. I have always been extremely impressed with Greenville's restaurant scene and AG is consistent with that experience. Highly recommended. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal all aroundFoodie1963Dined on 9/25/2014We had dinner at American Grocery on a Thursday night. Local ingredients are highlighted to their best. The mussels in smoked paprika cream was outstanding (ask for extra dipping bread) and we also sampled the black pepper biscuits and fried deviled eggs - Yum! Everyone chose a different main course - the salt crusted rib eye melted in your mouth, the cornmeal crusted trout with charred sweet potatoes was perfect in taste, texture and entree size, and the NC snapper plate was flavorful and beautifully balanced. Thank goodness we had room for dessert...while the chocolate doughnuts seem to be the house specialty, it was the frozen espresso soufflé that capped the night - light and silky! Service was great, couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening.....MaryDined on 9/25/2014The menu is definitely destined for the adventurous diner. If you are a meat and potatoes sort of person, this restaurant is not for you. The service is excellent in cozy surroundings. Our waiter was perfect; efficient but not obtrusive.Special Features:
- DisappointmentCharlotteFoodieDined on 9/20/2014There were four of us dining, and we were all looking forward to our evening at American Grocery due to all the positive reviews on OpenTable and a personal recommendation from a friend. We could not have been more disappointed. The service was terribly slow and ruined the entire evening. The food that we actually received was good but could not make up for the rest of the experience.
- ExcellentZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZVIPDined on 9/17/2014It was our first time to dine at American Grocery and it was fabulous. The food and service was excellent so we will be back very soon.Special Features:
- Greenville Dining NoviceJCP14VIPDined on 9/12/2014Ian was our server. He took good care of us. This was our first dining experience in Greenville. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and the local resources from which the food items came from. We had exceptional locally made butter and tomato jam for our bread. My husband ordèred mussels for his appetizer. They were way beyond delicious. IBoth of us selected their fish offerings for our entrees. My trout was expertly seared as was his dish. We had no point of reference for choosing this restaurant other than relying on previous reviews but luckily, we chose a winner. We will definitely dine here again when we return to this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014We went for the Foodie Weekend with reduced prices. Food was great, all three courses, but drinks came late and to the wrong table, butter and accompaniments came with no break (which did eventually arrive)...tables on both sides of us had to wait for silverware once the entrees arrived (really no excuse for that one). The wine flight was nice, a bit of a small pour, and my drink was good, after it had been taken to two other tables. The restaurant was busy but not overly so... Dining alcove was hotter than it needed to be. Waiter was good and very pleasant, and the six different courses were all very good, but the overall experience just didn't hold up to the higher end Greenville restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014We really enjoy sitting at the bar, the bartender makes the best drinks in town and the wine list is phenomenal. The food was amazing! We had the pork belly, summer salad, and deviled eggs for apps and the paella and trout for dinner. The trout was a little dry but everything else was perfect. Would recommend to anyone looking for a fine dining experience or a excellent meal.Special Features:
- Great experiencecarlosVIPDined on 8/29/2014We had the Tasting Menu and we had a great time. The desserts were the best.Special Features:
- Gosbo61Dined on 8/29/2014Dined using the Foodie Fest Menu. Staff noted they were thus tasting portions but the servings were fresh and plenty and liked the clear " local" emphasis on the sources of the food . Will try again for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I enjoyed our evening tremendously. It was an anniversary dinner and we had heard that American Grocery Restaurant was outstanding and it is. Nice table by a front window, pleasant and sociable waiter (perfect timing all evening), and delicious food. A fine evening all around.Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnercamtDined on 8/23/2014Our table was not ready and we waited 15 + minutes. They apologized and we waited at the bar (no free drink though). It was very noisy but still intimate. We did the foodie fest (3 for $30) and the optional wine pairing for $15 more. This was a wonderful choice. I really liked the wine pairing, it took out the guess work! The food was wonderful! I had the beef tongue and it was delicious. It was definitely worth the wait!Special Features:
- Don't pass up this Restaurant !HillbillyFoodieDined on 8/22/2014From the crafted drinks at the bar to dessert this is a great find. Atmosphere is bistro casual While the food is top shelf! We happened to be there for "Foodieweek " which offered a 3 course meal for 30$ Plus an additional wine fight for 15 $ . What a bargain , and Great Choices too . The braised beef tongue was a home run . If in Greenville, don't miss eating here !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enchanting ExperienceMadMaxDined on 8/22/2014I have always enjoyed AMG. This recent experience was no different. I know that the food prepared by Joe and his crew is going to be exceptional, the gracious service, and attention by Joe's partner, Darlene, will make every experience memorable. We enjoyed ourselves immensely and will always be back. Our friends who just moved to Greenville from Colorado agreed that the experience was indeed enchanting. My hat is off to the wonderful job everyone did to make our visit enjoyable.Special Features:
- Inconsistent quality, high priceDisappointingDined on 8/8/2014We have been several times and this restaurant once was our favorite. While I have felt the prices were not consitent w/ the value, we did enjoy until recently. This is the third time to the restaurant in the last couple months that has left us disappointed. The Kale Salad remains excellent as well as the mussels. However this is the third time we were left disappointed in the main dish. This time we wanted a light snack and both ordered the hot rabbit which in the past was excellent. Both dishes came out horribly overcooked... terrible. Is the Chef even tasting his own food? Most likely not. Again, this is the third time that our meals were sub par and the price for drinks and 2 starters each was over $120! Not likely returning.Special Features:
- Top Notch 10 *'s!!!!!ScottVIPDined on 8/7/2014The American Grocery, simply put is excellent. The mixtures of flavors and farm to table ingredients are a delight and wonderfully tasting. I had the Sweetbreads starter followed by the Rabbit confit. Amazing, amazing dishes. For dessert the chef's tasting with the 3 Innskillin dessert wines was exceptional. American Grocery is perhaps one of the best meals I have had in numerous years. I would recommend a visit and reservation, because by 7:30 there is not a table to be found!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in GreenvilleTheGMDined on 8/1/2014The food is top notch. Powerful local flavors, unique spin in dishes. Best I have had in GreenvilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryJabpp4Dined on 8/1/2014Loved everything about this resturant. Our only complaint was it was noisy but not sure how it could hzve been quieter because it was a full house. We would go back for sure on a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpised !!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014We had dinner at this restaurant about a year ago and said we would not go again - however someone asked us to join them there last weekend and we went. We were so surprised at how wonderful the food and service were !!! We would definitely go again and have told friends about our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerLakemanSCDined on 8/1/2014Everything was excellent. All the seafood and fish were done very well.Special Features:
- The following 674 reviews are from the American Grocery Restaurant reviews archive.
- Very eclectic food optionsDWWDVIPDined on 7/25/2014From beef tongue to rabbit to bone marrow, the choices are highly varied, and some seem downright scary. The food is delicious, but there are usually only 1or 2 entrees I am willing to eat. Portions are small but prices are huge!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner experience!BettydVIPDined on 7/18/2014We drove all the way from Atlanta to eat here- had seen it and been to the bar never made it to dinner so we planned a quick trip up and were very happy we did. Had a perfect beet salad and really nice croquettes with a southern twist and I loved the trout and my hubby loved the ribeye and the show or presentation associated with it. One suggestion would be to make an earlier reservation than we did.. It's cozy and the kind of place people want to stay around so the tables weren't turning for my 8:30 reservation which was fine- the bar was lovely and their blueberry infused vodka served by the owner made me happy! Go there!! One more thing- the dauphin potatos with the trout were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014AGR is the only restaurant in Greenville that rates 5 stars!! If there is a better one.... No, there isn't a better one! Just go! Foodies will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eclectic, too pricey for the valueDisappointingDined on 7/12/2014nice eclectic menu w/ farm to fork approach. Great apps, snack menu, and salad menu. The entree menu is pricey for the value/quality of what you get. I expected a higher end dinner for the price..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Outstanding romantic dinner. Great service. Pricey but worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/3/2014We frequently dine out and find ourselves gravitating more and more to American Grocery. While we have never had a less than wonderful dinner there, the duck confit I had this week was absolutely superb. The chef keeps coming up with very innovative ways to present locally procured meats and fish, vegetables, and fruit that delight the palette. American Grocery is a cut above any other restaurant in town--we couldn't enjoy it more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets better every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014This was our fourth time visiting AGR, and the restaurant never fails to disappoint! Everything from the beginning cocktails to the entree to the wine list and dessert and coffee was out-of-this-world amazing!Special Features:
- Very arrogantATLDinerDined on 6/27/2014The best way to describe the overall feeling of this restaurant was that the staff treated you like you should be lucky that you were fortunate to be able to be able to eat there. This started right away, as we were 10 minutes early for our reservation. Went to the bar to have a drink while we waited for table. Bartender would not take my order since I was standing in the waiters area(no wait staff was around). During dinner our waiter only came by to take our order, bring our food and bring the check. He never once checked on us. Our bottle of white wine was on ice about 15 feet away from our table and I had to go get it to fill our glasses. Overall very pompous attitude from the whole staff; will go elsewhere next time I'm in town.Special Features: