American Grocery Restaurant
732 S. Main St.
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Grocery Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.americangr.com/
- Phone: 8642327665x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner : Tuesday - Thursday: Bar 5:00 pm - until; Dinner 6:00 pm - until
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Clarke
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: American Grocery Restaurant offers private dinners in our intimate private dining room designed specifically for smaller business or personal affairs. Our private dining room will accommodate up to twelve comfortably with a variety of menu options we will tailor to your preferences. Additionally, our entire facility is available for buyout to accommodate larger events.
- Private Party Contact: Joe Clarke 864-363-2862x
A word from American Grocery Restaurant
Located in Greenville's Historic West End...American Grocery Restaurant serves refined American Seasonal Cuisine sourced from local and regional farms and artisan producers from within the United States. Chef Joe Clarke creates the daily menu based on the freshest ingredients he can procure from farmers by highlighting the bounty of the seasons. AGR's award-winning wine list, designed by Certified Sommelier Darlene Mann-Clarke, features small production boutique wines sure to elevate your dining experience. Come enjoy our warm craftsman-like dining room and let our knowledgeable staff take care of you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
American Grocery Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
American Grocery Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)special occasion (55)romantic (42)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (27)great for brunch (12)hot spot (10)good for groups (5)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Inconsistent quality, high priceDisappointingDined on 8/8/2014We have been several times and this restaurant once was our favorite. While I have felt the prices were not consitent w/ the value, we did enjoy until recently. This is the third time to the restaurant in the last couple months that has left us disappointed. The Kale Salad remains excellent as well as the mussels. However this is the third time we were left disappointed in the main dish. This time we wanted a light snack and both ordered the hot rabbit which in the past was excellent. Both dishes came out horribly overcooked... terrible. Is the Chef even tasting his own food? Most likely not. Again, this is the third time that our meals were sub par and the price for drinks and 2 starters each was over $120! Not likely returning.Special Features:
- Top Notch 10 *'s!!!!!ScottVIPDined on 8/7/2014The American Grocery, simply put is excellent. The mixtures of flavors and farm to table ingredients are a delight and wonderfully tasting. I had the Sweetbreads starter followed by the Rabbit confit. Amazing, amazing dishes. For dessert the chef's tasting with the 3 Innskillin dessert wines was exceptional. American Grocery is perhaps one of the best meals I have had in numerous years. I would recommend a visit and reservation, because by 7:30 there is not a table to be found!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in GreenvilleTheGMDined on 8/1/2014The food is top notch. Powerful local flavors, unique spin in dishes. Best I have had in GreenvilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryJabpp4Dined on 8/1/2014Loved everything about this resturant. Our only complaint was it was noisy but not sure how it could hzve been quieter because it was a full house. We would go back for sure on a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpised !!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014We had dinner at this restaurant about a year ago and said we would not go again - however someone asked us to join them there last weekend and we went. We were so surprised at how wonderful the food and service were !!! We would definitely go again and have told friends about our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerLakemanSCDined on 8/1/2014Everything was excellent. All the seafood and fish were done very well.Special Features:
- Very eclectic food optionsDWWDVIPDined on 7/25/2014From beef tongue to rabbit to bone marrow, the choices are highly varied, and some seem downright scary. The food is delicious, but there are usually only 1or 2 entrees I am willing to eat. Portions are small but prices are huge!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner experience!BettydVIPDined on 7/18/2014We drove all the way from Atlanta to eat here- had seen it and been to the bar never made it to dinner so we planned a quick trip up and were very happy we did. Had a perfect beet salad and really nice croquettes with a southern twist and I loved the trout and my hubby loved the ribeye and the show or presentation associated with it. One suggestion would be to make an earlier reservation than we did.. It's cozy and the kind of place people want to stay around so the tables weren't turning for my 8:30 reservation which was fine- the bar was lovely and their blueberry infused vodka served by the owner made me happy! Go there!! One more thing- the dauphin potatos with the trout were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014AGR is the only restaurant in Greenville that rates 5 stars!! If there is a better one.... No, there isn't a better one! Just go! Foodies will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eclectic, too pricey for the valueDisappointingDined on 7/12/2014nice eclectic menu w/ farm to fork approach. Great apps, snack menu, and salad menu. The entree menu is pricey for the value/quality of what you get. I expected a higher end dinner for the price..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Outstanding romantic dinner. Great service. Pricey but worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/3/2014We frequently dine out and find ourselves gravitating more and more to American Grocery. While we have never had a less than wonderful dinner there, the duck confit I had this week was absolutely superb. The chef keeps coming up with very innovative ways to present locally procured meats and fish, vegetables, and fruit that delight the palette. American Grocery is a cut above any other restaurant in town--we couldn't enjoy it more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets better every time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014This was our fourth time visiting AGR, and the restaurant never fails to disappoint! Everything from the beginning cocktails to the entree to the wine list and dessert and coffee was out-of-this-world amazing!Special Features:
- Very arrogantATLDinerDined on 6/27/2014The best way to describe the overall feeling of this restaurant was that the staff treated you like you should be lucky that you were fortunate to be able to be able to eat there. This started right away, as we were 10 minutes early for our reservation. Went to the bar to have a drink while we waited for table. Bartender would not take my order since I was standing in the waiters area(no wait staff was around). During dinner our waiter only came by to take our order, bring our food and bring the check. He never once checked on us. Our bottle of white wine was on ice about 15 feet away from our table and I had to go get it to fill our glasses. Overall very pompous attitude from the whole staff; will go elsewhere next time I'm in town.Special Features:
- Ultimate foodie experienceMsMissVIPDined on 6/21/2014Excellent service from our waitress Kendra. All of the waitstaff were very attentive and knowledgable about the food and ingredients being served. Salads were fresh and delicious. The fish was cooked to perfection. And the sorbet was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprising foodshooshiDined on 6/21/2014Rabbit, tongue, olive oil cake, hadn't seen these often as menu items. But good! Very good.Special Features:
- Narrow menu, odd foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/18/2014All the food was poorly seasoned with an overbearing smokey taste. Not for us.
- Refined flavor pairingsBouffeBeaucoupDined on 6/17/2014Unusual appetizers, but very good. Rabbit was best I'd had since I lived in France. Shrimp starter was excellent and my wife loved the grouper and accompaniments. Icewine dessert flight was very nice. Acoustically a little loud for an intimate dinner, but food offerings were great.Special Features:
- Father's day brunch...Foodie1VIPDined on 6/15/2014The menu looked so appealing we chose to eat brunch here. The food did not disappoint. My wife had the Sunburst Farms trout and I had the Huevos Rancheros (with pork cheek)--both were exquisite. The breadbasket served pre-meal contained an outstanding selection of scone, banana bread and a raisin-bran muffin variant. Bacon jam and carrot jam added an unusual complementary flavor. The Bloody Mary's were delicious as well and spicy. Service is attentive, staff are friendly and helpful and the ambience is that of a smallish bistro. The only negative is that some tables are close together so that one feels like the adjacent diners are participants in the meal. AGR always has locally sourced, fresh and innovative cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv4foodVIPDined on 6/15/2014The Food Served For Father's Day Brunch Was Amazing, There Were Only 3 Of Us But We Ordered 5 Entree's Because Everything Sounded So Good....When The Food was Brought To Our Table We All Shared And Everything Was Outstanding!!!! Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh from the farmPedroDined on 6/11/2014I was in Greenville on business and picked this restaurant out from the internet. Turns out, it's a local favorite -- and for good reason. The farm to table movement is alive and well here. Sometimes, I'm banished to the worst table in a restaurant when I am eating by myself, but was given three choices. Salad very fresh; same for the accompaniments to my fish dinner. Service friendly, appropriately attentive. Very nice wine list. I'll be back next time I'm in town. Impressive list of ryes and bourbons to finish things off.
- Exceeds ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014AGR is the ultimate dining experience. My wife and I have been there many times because there aren't any better places to dine. Amazing flavors in every course. It is so special that we live out of Greenville but drive an hour just to dine at AGR. My highest recommendation to all potential diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014Excellent dining experience from creative cocktails, knowledgable servers, imaginative and innovative food. Very well done! Our absolute favorite restaurant Greenville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American Grocery ReviewMK123Dined on 6/4/2014The good selections were varied and good choices available. The service was professional but sterile. We tried the four course selection, and were left disappointed. The food was not bad, but definitely not great, but rather flat. For 200.00 for two people the experience was that there was no experience.Special Features:
- Limited selectionEatoutoftenDined on 5/27/2014The interior is great. Service was pleasant but slow. A limited menu was even more limited by AG bring out of items. This as surprising given how slow GW was with only 3 tables occupied .Special Features:
- Wonderful place/great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2014Everything we ordered was wonderful and the best thing was that it was very fresh and well prepared. Some very creative new dishes and inventive cocktails..Special Features:
- Ian, our waiter, was wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014This was our first visit to AGR, and we enjoyed our experience and our meal. The ambience was cozy, was a little louder than we expected but not too bad. Our waiter was Ian and he was so helpful in answering our questions about the food and drinks and we took his advice and were very happy with what we got! And the chocolate donut dessert was ah-mazing! We didn't feel a bit rushed, nice and relaxing and everything was delicious!Special Features:
- AvlfoodlvrDined on 5/24/2014Lovely meal with eclectic options. Seemed a little heavy on the rabbit offerings with no chicken and limited options for other proteins. Extremely attentive, friendly and adequate portions. One piece of bread was all that was offered but I imagine if we had requested they would have gladly complied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite -outandaboutDined on 5/23/2014Dinner at American Grocery is so wonderfully predictable. The cocktails are always amazing, the food is always delicious, the service is always gracious and timely…what more could you ask for? Oh yes…and the food is locally sourced! Our favorite Greenville restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Unique FoodcharlieandlaurieDined on 5/23/2014The pork belly appetizer and the braised beef tongue entree were awesome. If you've never tried beef tongue, this is the place to do it. You will be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-End in the West-EndspongeDined on 5/23/2014The food, drinks, service and attention to detail is absolutely fantastic! This unique, cutting-edge, continuously-changing, somewhat-unexpected, farm-to-table menu will definitely bring a smile to your face and your dining companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014The food is exceptional, well thought out and executed. Each individual component of the plate is outstanding on it's own but complements all other items on the plate.Special Features:
- Girls weekend Fab find2fabulousDined on 5/17/2014My best friend & I were hanging in Greenville for our long overdue girls weekend & always seek out fab food finds. This is a keeper. I am in our Greenville office a lot & American Grocery will be my go to when overnight or group dinner is needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American Grocery RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014We dined at the American Grocery Restaurant on Friday, May 16th. We brought our 7 year old son, and were thankful that they tucked us into a corner/out of the way table. We had traveled up from Charleston and had spent 4 hours in the car before arriving, so our son was a bit wiggly. The restaurant was very gracious in accomodating our late arrival- we initially had a 6pm reso, but called to ask it be pushed back to 6:30 since we were encountering heavy traffic. The food was wonderful. The drinks and wine selections perfect. We had the Earl Greyer, along with a couple of glass wine selections to go with our meal. The server was knowledgable and helped guide our selections. We look forward to returning for another meal at this fabulous place!Special Features:
- Celebration dinner24dinnerDined on 5/13/2014My husband and I took our two grown children and my mother there to celebrate Mother's Day and our son's college graduation. We had early reservations (6:15) and the place to ourselves for the first 45 minutes. The noise level did go up once the restaurant was full but it was not too loud. The air conditioning happened to be out of order, but there were plenty of fans going so it was pretty comfortable. The service was excellent and the food outstanding. We got 3 different appetizers, all of which were great and each of us ordered a different entree. We each got dessert as well. I would highly recommend the mussels as an appetizer and the buttermilk cake for dessert. This was my second visit for dinner and I will certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in every way!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We are frequent diners at AGR . Our last visit was for the Mother's Day brunch. Exquisite cuisine as always. Greenville should appreciate AGR. It is a restaurant that you might find in a major city; the locals are very fortunate to be able to dine at AGR.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Amazing! On the rare occasion once or twice a year that it is served.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch 2014ConnieDined on 5/11/2014American Grocery was a wonderful restaurant to spend Mother's Day enjoying brunch. They offered a special menu with a special bar menu as well. The menu was imaginative and offered something for everyone's taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother Day BrunchTomcatDined on 5/11/2014Excellent all around. Great Mother's Day Brunch, timed just right with Artisphere happening in Greenville ! Price was outstanding.Special Features:
- TigerDined on 5/10/2014First time for us at this restaurant. It was very enjoyable experience. Only down side was the cost to have that enjoyable experience.Special Features: