480 L'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DC 20024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lenfantplazahotel.com/dining/american_grill.cfm
- Phone: 2026464433
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 6:30am - 12:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Holiday Brunches - 11.00am - 3.00pm (Call for further details)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sam El Sheikh
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room available for up to 50 guests in the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel.
- Private Party Contact: Grace Brooks 2024841000x5247
A word from American Grill
Renowned as one of the premier Washington D.C. restaurants, the American Grill serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a contemporary brasserie-style setting. Specializing in juicy steaks and fresh seafood, the Grill is the ideal spot for a fantastic lunch or dinner. Open daily from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
American Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- BlandCapHillTravellerVIPDined on 6/9/2013We thought this would be a great place for our 5 senior citizens, but we were wrong. Senior friendly accessible, but the service was slow and inadequate. AND there were ONLY 5 tables in the restaurant at the time. The food was fine - not raveable. It was a bit disappointing.
- Inspiring menu online enticedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/27/2013Inspiring menu online enticed us to go there, but it wasn't the same offerings when we arrived. They should update their online descriptions.
- Unusually Good Hotel Food & ServicedragonflyDined on 5/20/2013We came to the American Grill to meet a good friend we hadn't seen in a long while. We wanted to be able to talk at length in a fairly quiet corner. Our server provided outstanding, unobtrusive service, recognizing our wish for conversation, and made good suggestions for our meals, which were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/19/2013Not really much to write home about. The lobster bisque was awful. The rest of the food was just so so. Service was ok - not great.
- Overpriced and just so soThe1748boofDined on 5/17/2013Found the food to be overpriced, just average quality and presentation. Decor was rather bland.Special Features:
- Food was very good, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2013Food was very good, but the service was lacking. Ok if you're a guest in the hotel and just need to eat, but not worth a special trip.
- It's a hotel dining room.RickVIPDined on 4/26/2013It's a hotel dining room. I wasn't expecting gourmet food, but what we had was very good and the location was close to our evening event.Special Features:
- It was just okay. OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013It was just okay. Overpriced for sandwiches you can get anyplace elseSpecial Features:
- I am a frequent visitor, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2013I am a frequent visitor, and have never had a bad experience with service or the food.Special Features:
- Food was very well preparedgreatplacetoeatDined on 4/21/2013Food was very well prepared and the staff was very attentive.
- The portabello mushroom (veggie)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013The portabello mushroom (veggie) sandwich was OUTSTANDING!!!Special Features:
- The American Grill is a typicalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2013The American Grill is a typical DC hotel resturant. Nothing special except the service which was good. The food was ok but I would not eat there again.
- UghMcLeanMamiDined on 4/8/2013Great service, the food is not edible. Ceasar salad was limp, drench in dressing that tasted out of a supermarket bottle.
- The business event went extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2013The business event went extremely well and the abmiance and exceptional service by the American Grill staff made the difference.Special Features:
- Menu is Mis-leadingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/9/2013Their lobster "bisque" was a broth, not even close to being a creamy soup. Also, eastern NC bbq is vinegar-based. The sandwich that came out had a tomato-based bbq. The waiter assured me it was the eastern NC version. The reason for us booking the restaurant was so I could have that sandwich (I have never seen that version offered in Baltimore, and I don't get down to NC a lot). It took 10 minutes for my husband to get his beer, and we couldn't get a re-fill on water. We couldn't even find the waiter after he delivered the food...we had to flag down the hostess and ask her to get our check.
- Arriving into the city atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/4/2013Arriving into the city at a later hour, this restaurant was convenient in our hotel as we had few other options nearby without having to take the train. The food was well prepared, but was definitely over-priced for what we actually was severed with limited selections on the menu. Restaruant decor itself needed serious updating - peeling paint on walls, worn-down discolored seats. Service was fine - Servers and hostess were very pleasant. Overall we had better experiences at other restaurants.
- The restaurant was empty.NiceDined on 2/1/2013The restaurant was empty. The food was not good. This was not a good experience.
- Can always count on a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Can always count on a nice lunch with an interesting menu.Special Features:
- Yuck ... move on folks!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/20/2013The restaurant desperately needs renovation. The food was awful. I had chicken that stated it came with a pan jus. It actually had gravy that tasted like it came from a bottle. Further the restaurant is located inside a hotel. Did the explanation of the restaurant state this? NO! It's in the middle of Washington, D.C. We took the metro to get there and then walked 2 blocks but couldn't find the restaurant.
- Only for the desperateOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/20/2013Unless you're desperate, don't go here! I took my daughter here for lunch recently while visiting DC; it was a very disappointing experience. The food was dreadful - dry and tasteless. The service was adequate, but impersonal and somewhat brusque. At that price, you should receive food better than what you might find among your own leftovers.
- L'Enfant American GrilleDavidDVIPDined on 12/29/2012It was disappointing. It is simply the ordinary hotel family dining restaurant in the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel. Limited menu. Few guests. The baby back ribs were simply undercooked spare ribs cut into 3 pieces. They were served over aspargus and nt spiced applesauce per menu. The cobb salad was good, but not special. The service was good, and the waiter tried hard, but the place just did not cut it in my opinion. With a large empty dining room and few patrons, some background noise would allow people to talk without worrying about who else is listening. If an Open Table restaurant is part of a hotel, i think this should be stated in the writeup. There were no signs guiding us to the pace once we found the address.
- The food was good but whenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012The food was good but when we went to pay for our dinner our credit card went into the back but did not come back out to the table until we made a rather pointed demand for its return. The manager who was on duty at the time did not seem to be terribly upset about the loss of a customers credit card. The card was eventually return after being found "on the floor" after we had the manager personally look for it at the register. Ruined the whole experience.Special Features:
- Open Table recommended thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Open Table recommended this for Christmas dinner. Not a good suggestion. It was empty and the food was mediocre. You need to be careful in what you recommend. Going forward I will assume your recommendations are paid for.
- PERFECT FOR DC LUNCHEON MEETINGSOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/20/2012Food was a bit lackluster in flavor (albeit beautiful in presentation...Salmon w/orange glaze), however, service is always superb and setting is conveniently located and quite pleasant to dine in.Special Features:
- With the holiday season crowd,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/17/2012With the holiday season crowd, service was still excellent and the food was great. Customer Service is always great.Special Features:
- For lunch, service is farOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/14/2012For lunch, service is far too slow, and the tables are far too crowded. Budget 90 minutes for anything, even a simple hamburger. The staff is so discombobulated, they don't know where people are in a meal, who needs service, or even which check belongs to which table. The floor is so crowded, you'll get to know other diners very well whether you want to or not. Dinner is much better, and you'll have the place to yourself.
- If you want ordinary...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Mediocre meal in hotel restaurant. Server was too intrusive. It was OK but nothing more.
- Competent cooking, adequateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2012Competent cooking, adequate service, dull decor, moderate value (though the wines are pricey) for a DC hotel. Convenient if you are staying at the hotel and don't feel like a long walk or taxi ride for a fancier venue.Special Features:
- Good business lunch location-nearOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2012Good business lunch location-near government but away from the trafficSpecial Features:
- The restaurant was awkwardlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012The restaurant was awkwardly quiet, no background music at all. Ou server was extremely unprofessional, my husband is in his thirties and the waiter checked his ID for what seemed like a full minute, looking at the ID and then back at my husband, while making an incredulous expression. Our portions were huge, but I felt like the only reason for that was that the kitchen needed to get rid of food because there was no one else there. My pork was extremely dry and oddly spicy and my husbands ribs seemed to be a week old because the bone was falling apart and just tasted squishy. The only reason this location can still be in business is because its hotel location, nobody who has options would ever go back.
- I love the relaxed feel ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012I love the relaxed feel of this cozy place. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The ribs were tender and delious. ISpecial Features:
- for the hotel that I was stayingBKBarVIPDined on 10/6/2012for the hotel that I was staying it, it was cheaper than it had to be but over all a good deal
- Good place for a business lunchHighExpectationsVIPDined on 10/3/2012Brought colleagues here for lunch; it's the only white-tablecloth dining room in the neighborhood. Excellent food, excellent service. The tables have enough space between them that you are not forced to listen to other conversations. This is a good place for a business lunch.Special Features:
- A big disappointment. ThisKJNuriVIPDined on 10/1/2012A big disappointment. This place serves coffee shop food. How did Denny's get into a downtown DC hotel???? A waste of time, gas and money.
- The crabcake sandwich wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/6/2012The crabcake sandwich was yummy! It was recommended by the server and they were delicious.
- Overall dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2012Overall dining experience has always been pleasant, food is excellent, great atmosphere for a business lunch; service has always been good.Special Features:
- My only problem I have withOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/1/2012My only problem I have with the restaurant is its ambiance. Upon entering American Grill the maitre' d was very friendly and he walked me to my seat. After a few minutes of sitting down, that same gentleman turned into my waiter. I can't confirm or deny if he was the cook, but if he was "compliments to the chef." The food was great, I can't deny that. I wanted to get a glass of wine or a beer to compliment my dinner, but the place was so empty and dry that I decided to finish my meal and head to a another Open Table favorite of mine for drinks.
- I went with a co-worker forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2012I went with a co-worker for Restaurant Week. Our server's name starts with a "G". He took our order after 15 minutes of our arrival. I think he had just woken up. The menu (3-course meal for $20) was OK. The quality of the food was OK, but the servings were humongous. After we ate our entree, G asked what we had ordered for dessert again. The cheesecake was not impressive. I wouldn't go back again. I wonder if the service we got was because we were ordering from the Restaurant week menu ...Special Features:
- Other than the confusion overLikespicyDined on 8/9/2012Other than the confusion over the Open Table Points, everything else was fine. Not sure if the manager/staff understand the process, or there may have been a language miscommunication. As I indicated the proof that I ate there was documented by my charge receipt, which they had.Special Features:
- Great Experience for Our BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2012We highly recommend this place for Brunch. Decor is a little dated, but staff does an excellent job to keep this place humming. All were friendly and attentive. Brunch was $19 each adult and included coffee and juice. No bottomless Mimosa's, but not needed. to enjoy. Youngest is 11 and wanted an omelette. Waiter gave it to him for kid buffet price ($9), very nice of him. Food stations were clean and well stocked. Plenty of fresh fruit and baked goods. Wife got a piece of cold French Toast, and alerted the attendant who immediately took care of the Sterno that was out. He even came out with some freshly made FT for her, but we were on our way out. Not easy to find from our hotel two blocks away, but easy access from Metro stop.Special Features: