American Farmhouse Tavern
924 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
American Farmhouse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.americanfarmhousetavern.com/
- Phone: 3103768044
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday-Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Thursday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday-Friday: 4:00pm - 6:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 10:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Orlando Novoa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from American Farmhouse Tavern
A neighborhood restaurant & tavern, offering rustic farm to table, sustainable foods, beer, wine & spirits. The California Central Coast way...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
American Farmhouse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- The American Farmhouse hadOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/7/2013The American Farmhouse had one of the best brunch menus around. Sadly, we found out from our server that the restaurant would be closing for good that evening. Very sad news for the South Bay. Best wishes to the owner on the new venture being explored in downtown LA.Special Features:
- The food was average. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2013The food was average. We were seated right by the server stand, which we didn't mind at all because it was less noisy. Our waitress however decided to completely ignore us every time she was at the server stand, which wasn't that often. I one point I tried to get her attention but she was too busy checking her text messages. She never checked on us to see how we were doing. She never offered to refill our waters. She never offered the dessert menu (we had to ask). Her tip was significantly reduced based on her skillset. I will not frequent this restaurant again.
- I've eaten here numerous timeMyluv4foodVIPDined on 3/8/2013I've eaten here numerous time and each time the service and food was great. :)Special Features:
- Love the new menu...And theyGr8BeachRealtorVIPDined on 3/2/2013Love the new menu...And they always honor Open Table reservations... even at the the last minute!Special Features:
- I bought the farm!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013I was very impressed with the quality, quantity, and value. Their tri-tip is outstanding!Special Features:
- The food was really excellent.luschoenDined on 2/2/2013The food was really excellent. I had the lamb chops. Perfectly crusted and seasoned and just slightly better than medium rare! Deliciously paired with light and fluffy mashed potatoes. The grilled artichoke appetizer was excellent. My husband started with the asparagus and bacon then had the tri-tip which was seared on the outside and juicy on the inside. "one of the best pieces of meat I've had in a long time"! The service was great, but the ambiance was just a step up from a made over Shoneys. Worth the one mile walk from the pier. The folks in Manhattan Beach are blessed to have this delicious yet reasonably priced restaurant in their neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great first time experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/18/2013First time customers. Food was wonderful and hearty portions. Great service from Ashley. We will visit again,Special Features:
- Excellent food quality, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/3/2013Excellent food quality, however the decor is lacking.Special Features:
- We went for a New Year's dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012We went for a New Year's dinner special. It was my first time to the restaurant and the menu looked great. The food was good and appears to be prepared in a very healthy way. The service seemed rushed as we were in and out in less than an hour; and that included dessert. The waitress had her shirt unbuttoned too low as well. We enjoyed the meal overall and would go back.Special Features:
- Nice variety on the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2012Nice variety on the menu. They use a wood burning grill and the salmon is excellent! We also enjoyed a salad with very fresh greens and just the right amount of a tasty dressing. My husband enjoyed the cornish game hen that was also cooked on the wood burning grill. My son was a bit disappointed with the rib eye sandwich, but enjoyed his salad and would return to try some other entrees. We will definitely be back to try again. It was a bit busy, but the server seemed friendly, but quite distracted. May have been an off night.Special Features:
- OK at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Had the Fliet Oscar . Terrible cut of meat and only one small shrimp. Great onion rings. Lobster appetizer good! Waitress ignored us, got all service from busboy who was good. Took over 10 minutes to get our check after finishing eating.Special Features:
- This place is really really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/8/2012Everything on the menu here is so good. The casual atmosphere is a nice feel tooSpecial Features:
- First time dinning here--enjoyedLAmamaDined on 12/2/2012First time dinning here--enjoyed the experience. Food was good but not "OMG." Love the fact that they try to be local and organic--huge draw. When we were there--on a Sunday night around 6pm--families with kids and groups---nice. Had kiddo menu so that was a surprise since it was not on the website. Good prices. The veggie stew for two is nice--I think they only have one veggie dish for entrees--but it was still nice--pasta with seasonal veggies and a champagne sauce with feta. the cheese plate is not worth it--however the cheese was good, just super thin slices. Fries were huge and crispy---so that was a plus--kiddo liked his grilled cheese but no wheat. The steak was rated a 7 out of 10 by my husband and the shrimp was good.Special Features:
- The turkey burger was theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/27/2012The turkey burger was the beat I've had so far. It's got to be the cranberry aioli dressing they put on there. Amazing!Special Features:
- No crowds, no wonderWorthHavingVIPDined on 11/25/2012Wow, this place was nothing like the reviews. It was dead quiet on a Sunday night, just a few families dining, frankly it was depressing. The menu is good, but the pasta with chicken, spinach, sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts had like 2 of everything, meaning two pieces of spinach, artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes, really below my expectations. However the chicken was well cooked and the sauce, although way too much of it, was good. They need to redecorate, shrink the place by 33% and amp up the menu, good luck, I won't be dining there again soon.Special Features:
- We have driven by a hundredTulsterDined on 11/17/2012We have driven by a hundred times - thought we would give it a try. Was family friendly, although we were sat next to a large party celebrating a 40th birthday. Food was good, service a bit on the slow side. Nothing memorable.Special Features:
- The focus here is meat comingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2012The focus here is meat coming off the wood-fired grill...and it tastes great. If you want veggies or greens, you will need to order something from the starters or salad menu--the entree plates are pretty much meat and potatoes (or other starches). We shared bacon-wrapped asparagus (cooked on the wood grill--fabulous flavor but a pretty small portion) and an apple salad (also very tasty and better sized). We both had the tri-tip from the grill, but there are other options to choose from. Plan to go back to try something other than the beef. Very open dining room and pretty noisy--not the place for a romantic dinner for two, but fun for a relaxed, casual night out.
- A perfect Sunday Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2012We celebrated a birthday and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The menu has a variety of choices and daily specials. One person had the Sunday special, Prime Rib, which was outstanding. The apple salad made a great accompaniment. The restaurant has a nice selection of beers on tap, including an IPA and other popular specialty beers. The final course, dessert, was fantastic! We all ordered slices of pie, which were large enough to share or take home for the next night. Freshly baked berry pie, homemade apple pie, and savory pumpkin pie were shared and enjoyed by us all. The server was happy to put our ice cream on the side. We will definitely go back. It's nice to enjoy good food and be able to have a conversation with others at the table!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, quiet andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2012Great atmosphere, quiet and relaxing. I ordered the wood grilled wild salmon and it was excellent! My husband enjoyed the rib eye sandwich with organic greens and horseradish sauce. Good wine list and great wines by the glass along with great service. The menu has quite a variety and we will be definitely be back. Probably will try it for lunch.Special Features:
- food was overcooked. And theAmiWVIPDined on 10/26/2012food was overcooked. And the waitress just wanted to leave for the night and made it apparent.Special Features:
- KEEP TRYING -- PLEASE!DinahDined on 10/21/2012This is SUCH a cute place! But on a Sunday night, it was almost empty! I don't think it is going to survive, and what a shame. They need to advertise more, get people in there. And then, they have to speed up the service! I don't think it's the servers -- it's the kitchen and bar. We ordered the cheese plate and it came -- with just cheese! No crackers, no bread, and just maybe 1/4 of an apple, sliced. On the other hand, my husband and daughter had the battered cod, and it was absolutely outstanding! Crisply delicious, deep-fried to perfection. I had the tritip sandwich and although it was tasty, I would have preferred that the meat was shredded, not sliced, as it was a little dry. Overall, though, we loved the food and would go backSpecial Features:
- I had a business dinner atJLFergVIPDined on 10/17/2012I had a business dinner at American Farmhouse Tavern and the whole experience was delightful, from the funky, large metal roosters that inhabit the place to the delicious down-home food (with slight twists). The server was pleasant and helpful with recommendations. The food was served in portion sizes that weren't overwhelming. Great pumpkin pie and pumpkin ice cream. My filet could have been less fatty around the edges, but it was otherwise delicious. My dining companions loved the vegetable stew, chile verde, and salmon. I'd eat here again if I come back into town.Special Features:
- Glad to find a place in thisrockingrkVIPDined on 10/10/2012Glad to find a place in this area with a private parking lot. Very convenient.Special Features:
- Great restaurant. I loveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2012Great restaurant. I love the unique variety of the menu.Special Features:
- I think it's a little bitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012I think it's a little bit over price, but the food it's ok and the service it's good.
- Surprise findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2012What the menu doesn't tell you is that the food is cooked over red oak fires, imparting a wonderful unique flavor. I was so impressed that I ordered red oak the next day for our grilling efforts at home.Special Features:
- Overcooked and..........OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/24/2012Overcooked tuna, requested it cooked to rare and it was presented WELL DONE. The servers response was the most amazing...."of yea, sorry about that regardless of what the customer orders the chef always overcooks it." She offered to send it back but "always overcooks didn't present the option of having it prepared correctly. At the end of the meal they offered no apology, or attempt to correct the situation. This was my third time at this establishment and the first was over-the-top incredible but the next two visits were less than expected. Sadly I won't be returning or recommending to friends.
- My ribeye steak and wivesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2012My ribeye steak and wives chicken was good. However, the vegetables that accompanied my ribeye were minimal, lees than half a cup and nothing green. My wife had chicken Oscar that included a grand total of one medium shrimp, and three asparagus stems that looked like worn out shoestrings. They need to be less spartan with the quantity of accompaniments, and vastly improve the quality. Wine was good, could have spent $100 bucks elsewhere and enjoyed ourselves more.Special Features:
- It was a quiet Thursday night,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2012It was a quiet Thursday night, but still nice to be able to use OpenTable to request a table since we arrived from out of town. Food was very good. Portions are generous. Away from the town center of Manhattan Beach but convenient since parking is available and free.Special Features:
- food was very tasty - howeverjbdbVIPDined on 8/19/2012food was very tasty - however I missed the bean stew they used to serve prior to the meal.Special Features:
- Amazing Food at a Great Price!!SBNative2000VIPDined on 8/18/2012The food was great, service was great and it was all reasonably priced!! Make sure you order the Lobster Tails! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who lives in or is visiting the South Bay.Special Features:
- First time eating there forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2012First time eating there for our party of five and all of us loved our mean and the ambiance of the Farmhouse. Each of us said we'd be back again.
- Is change good?ArizonaTravelerVIPDined on 8/8/2012They recently made changes to expand the bar area and also made substantial changes to the menu. It seems to have been an obvious move to change the demographics of their cliental. I think that overall, more people will like this place. My wife and I liked it for what it was. The quality of the food seems to have dropped a little. So for all ofmthe above, this establishment has dropped from a great, to just good. There are hundreds of good restaurants in the area. So sadly, it seems I won't be returning to this one. But at the same time there is likely to be a larger cliental base who will move this from being just good to great. So my advice is that you try it once for a casual occasion. They make your own decision.Special Features:
- We visited 5:30pm on a Friday;JimDDined on 8/3/2012We visited 5:30pm on a Friday; not busy at all. The server was attentive, had good recommendations and ensured my wife's tri-tip was cooked properly rare. The chili verde was tender and the sauce excellent. Excellent fries and onion rings as well. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- I would try again for lunchLaggVIPDined on 8/1/2012I would see this a good lunch place. The food is delicious but we had gone there to celebrate my husband's birthday and the ambiance was nothing special for a midweek dinner. The music was good but they did nothing to celebrate his birthday other than write "Happy Birthday" on the check that I was paying. With that said, I had made note of his birthday on the OpenTable reservation request & called to confirm the reservation and note. Had I known they didn't do anything for birthdays (could have advised when I called in) I would have had a dessert spot picked out ahead of time and avoided the awkward moment when the waitress obviosuly didn't know it was his birthday, dispite the call and request on the reservation.Special Features:
- This was one of our favoriteLuckyDinerDined on 7/28/2012This was one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. We enjoyed the delicious Santa Maria touches; the little bowls of delicious vegetable soup, beans and salsa. Tables had white table cloths. This time, at dinner, the table was bare and the soup, beans and salsa were gone. The meal was enjoyed by the visiting family members, as they do not know what they missed. Dessert was the same, delicious pies and ice cream. The service was as good as it always has been. The whole dining experience was lacking that little special Santa Maria touch.
- I took a friend to AmericanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012I took a friend to American Farmhouse for lunch. Upon entering the restaurant, he loved the decor and was quite empressed with the menu items. Food, portions and presentation were excellent! (As well as service). He will definitely spread the word and bring his friends. (He's from Sierra Madre and will do the drive for a great place))Special Features:
- Great dine la experience.FoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2012Great dine la experience. Food was great. Just a bit quiet but it ws a late weekday night. Hope restaurant gets more business Food is very goodSpecial Features:
- I ate at American Tavern forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2012I ate at American Tavern for the first time in mid-July and had a good meal and good service. I enjoyed it so much that I took family back there the other day. The filet steak I ordered had quite a bit of gristle in it. Service was spotty even though it wasn't that busy. Once we finished our entree, the waitress brought us our check. We had to ask her to reopen it so we could order coffee and dessert. I just wasn't impressed this time around.
- Adorable Neighborhood GemArianneDined on 7/20/2012It was a quiet night when we went - one server for the whole restaurant. Food was great but everything came out all at once (bread, app, & entree), which was odd. Love the decor as well! This menu is AMAZING - I can't wait to come back to try more!Special Features: