American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.americanbountyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (845) 471-6608
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
A word from American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
With a focus on the seasons and products of the Hudson Valley, contemporary and traditional regional dishes are brought to life at the American Bounty Restaurant in a truly honest and flavorful way. Rounded out with a first-class American wine list and comfortable warm service, this casually elegant restaurant sets the stage for an unparalleled dining experience in New York’s Hudson Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
347 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (243)special occasion (225)romantic (112)great for lunch (98)notable wine list (92)scenic view (91)good for groups (83)neighborhood gem (42)hot spot (11)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Pumpkin soup was disappointing, flavor OK but thin. Salad was nothing special - menu said blue cheese and it had one little chunk of cheese and maybe 3 pecans. Gluten free pasta with mushrooms was great. Chicken - bourbon sauce was good. Our companions enjoyed their dinners more than we did. Dessert was very good, Not much here for a vegetarian although the one vegetarian choice was very good. We can get a much better meal at a restaurant close to home for about half the price. We may go again sometime since it is an interesting experience to see the students cooking and learning, but way overpriced for what we got.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014American Bounty is a wonderful oasis away from the rush of the world outside of it's walls. The service is friendly and extremely knowledgeable and the food is amazing. I always feel like I am getting the highest quality food and a moderate price. The menu is interesting but not crazy with a varied selection for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 11/15/2014The ambiance , food, and service was excellent. The employees are warm and welcoming.This is my fourth time eating at the American Bounty and it has always been excellent. I look forward to my next visit. Our waiter was also delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- completely disappointing!gourmandmomVIPDined on 11/15/2014Was so looking forward to trying out he CIA but the whole experience was totally disappointing. The service was terrible and our waiter was about to graduate so inexperience wasn't the excuse. My husbands steak was way under-cooked and my fish was way over cooked. They ran out of the dessert I wanted and when I asked for something else they were out of that too! There appeared to be no supervision of the servers and no one asked how we were doing. And to top it off- it was NOT cheap. Skip it and go to a real restaurant for dinner!
- Restaurant week dining success!ChristyDined on 11/14/2014I enjoyed an exquisite dinner at the American Bounty room with my husband during Restaurant Week. The 3-course meal provided one great taste sensation after the next. The delicious seared scallops started the evening off with a tasty delight, followed by the beef tips that just melted in my mouth. The wine pairing selected for the entree was perfectly suited for the flavorful beef. The meal concluded with a decadent plate of oven-warmed chocolate chip cookies served with vanilla ice cream. DELICIOUS!! Oh, and I can't forget those amazing pretzel buns served fresh out of the oven. They were heavenly!! We experienced a wonderful evening of dining! Great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonDined on 11/14/2014We enjoyed our dinner at the Culinary Institute of America American Bounty Restaurant during restaurant week in November 2014. Our waiter was very accomodating, and offered menu suggestions, was able to describe the wine choices, and was very polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Outdated EnvironmentNinjaDined on 11/14/2014The food was good, but not worth it for the price. There are many small cafes that provide a much better bang for the buck that includes tastier food, a modern atmosphere and cheaper pricing - you just have to find them. If you're going during restaurant week, then it may be worth the visit for a budgeted 3 course meal. Essentially, my wife and I went to this restaurant because of the institution's reputation and for the 'experience'. However, we've also visited other local places that served better food at 1/3 of the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunchCatdemarDined on 11/14/2014The CIA campus is very impressive and this was our first time at the American Bounty for lunch. The menu had many great options that were seasonal. We enjoyed the cheese plate and the striped bass. The presentation was excellent. The only down side was an overcooked duck but the rest, including great dessert and coffee, made for a really nice lunch experience. The price was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA impresses againLMorconeDined on 11/13/2014The Culinary Institute of America (Hyde Park) is extremely unique, and while it has notable restaurants, American Bounty is its gem. The food is outstanding. I have been to all of the other restaurants that the CIA offers, and none of them compare to American Bounty. The food is fresh, seasonal, and is a palate pleaser. My one complaint is the service. While I am understanding that this restaurant is run by students, it was very disappointing in the way we were served. From the start, the hostess sat us at a table and put the iPad wine list on the table. She explained nothing and did not even let us know that someone would be with us. Our waiter then came, and he was very disorganized, not overly friendly, and was unattentive to our empty plates, empty glasses, etc. However, overall, this experience was one to remember. We got the prime rib with fresh beets and pumpkin glaze along with a roasted chicken dish. The desserts were a highlight as well: peppermint mocha ganache and a deconstructed pumpkin pie with ice cream. I strongly recommend American Bounty; one bad serving experience will not prevent us from coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Mix UpexcellentVIPDined on 11/12/2014The day of our reservation was a special event that we were not notified of it was a set menu. We were supposed to be there for restaurant week and got there to find out that there was a private event. We were switched to the de medici restaurant instead, which was excellent. You will not be disappointed with the food or service, but just call ahead to make sure there are no special events.Special Features:
- Go to "food " school.dotmornobDined on 11/12/2014It felt great to feel like you are part of a great learning experience. From the greeting at the reception desk, to seating , and menu review, all part of a new dance for everyone, It was a very nice warm event. Food was delicious and we had almost as much pride in it's presentation as the students did. Everything was 3-4 star dining. Well worth a fun eventSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends' ReunionHurleygirlyDined on 11/11/2014Had a fun time catching up with old friends. Really enjoyed the wide variety of starters, entrees, dessert and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2014Everything, from the minute we were seated was top notch. The service and the food are easily the best I've had since moving here and I won't hesitate to try the other restaurants that are part of the CIA. Thank you for a 5-Star evening.Special Features:
- Disappointment at the CIAOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014My sister and I have gone to the various restaurants at the CIA for at least 25 years. This experience was the least enjoyable we have had. Service was lacking, and the luncheon took a long long time. Waitstaff wasn't prepared and seemed unsure. My sister's Meilleur Beef was very difficult to cut, even with a sharp knife. We asked for our leftovers so we could take them home (including an order of Parker House rolls, which were on the table). We had part of our dessert and asked to bring the rest home with us. We were given a chit with a number on it and picked up the leftovers before we went home. We were going to put the leftovers in the refrigerator at home, but when we opened the box, we found 2 pieces of Short rib (no one at our table had ordered that for lunch) and nothing else. I'll give it a 8 for food, a 3 for service. Our favorite restaurant was the Escoffier Room and we had always enjoyed talking to our waiters there, but it was difficult to talk to them. My sister WAS asked if she wanted to change her order, but considering the amount of time lunch had ALREADY taken, she didn't want to wait even a longer time for another entre. Maybe we'll try another restaurant next year.Special Features:
- Up to standardsKittycatDined on 11/8/2014We were expecting great and we got it. From the atmosphere to the food nothing disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining experience.JaydenDined on 11/7/2014Wait staff was great. We had several drinks; found The Woodsman and the Cherry Bourbon Sour to be pretty good. Appetizers: mixed green salad, Sautéed Shrimp, Steamed Prince Edward Island Mussels, Seared Sea Scallops (everyone liked their selection) Main course: Hudson Valley Moulard Duck Breast (2 orders), Roasted KNK Farm Chicken and Grilled Rib Eye of Beef. Hudson Valley Moulard Duck Breast: Thought it tasted pretty good though. Roasted KNK Farm Chicken: chicken as good but the aroma of the Crunchy Mac and Cheese that came with it gave my wife a "queazy" feeling. Deserts were good and enjoyed by all. Not tipping allowed, but a 17% "service fee" is added to the bill that supports student scholarships and activities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great experienceBarbaraJADined on 11/7/2014Everything was lovely, delicious, elegant (but not at all pretentious), and friendly. We enjoyed everything about this dinner and would love to dine at American Bounty again when we visit the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just OKwheezyDined on 11/6/2014I was somewhat disappointed eating at the CIA. The food wasn't horrible but it wasn't over the top delicious either. The soup (squash) was just OK, shrimp appetizer was delicious, scallop appetizer (2) was a mixed bag. One scallop was plump & deliciously sweet. The other was tasteless. The goat cheese "tart" seemed more like a flatbread with very little goat cheese & salad that was tasty but left you craving for that goat cheese you ordered. The entrees were good. The Skate was cooked perfectly & was delicious. It was served on top of a blob of mashed potatoes that I didn't eat. The organic chicken was good but a little on the dry side. The Mac & cheese was fried & extremely dry. Don't I would return. Would like to try the French RestaurantSpecial Features:
- foodforthoughtDined on 11/6/2014A wonderful eclectic experience of tastes and textures. A gift for your senses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisWBDined on 11/6/2014We have been eating at the American Bounty for many years. If there is a special occasion in our family we usually pick the American Bounty as the place go. Thanks for the great food!Special Features:
- american bounty rest week dinnerwilltravelDined on 11/6/2014waiter amazing- knowledgeable helpful charming scallops shrimp appetizers great swordfish steak delicious hardly had room for dessert! pumpkin cake with Bklyn beer ice cream yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will be dining in againmcllafleurDined on 11/6/2014Our drive was about 2 hours but it was well worth it. The food and service were exceptional. We plan to try all the restaurants in the next few months.Special Features:
- Best friends lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014We were met with warmth Server explained food and restaurant rows special. Food was phenominal. Fish was undercooked new plate delivered cooked and hot. Plating was beautiful. Grounds were gorgeous we will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014I took my 11 year old for a nice dinner on a Hudson Valley Restaurant week. Great service and the food. He loved his choice of entree especially the mussels he ordered as appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PumpkinPumpkinLoverDined on 11/5/2014Your pumpkin pudding had no pumpkin flavor. The pumpkin inside out cake was too sweet. The ice cream with it was wonderful though. My sister had the sticky toffee dessert and didn't like the apple or the crunch. Meat and veggies were wonderful as well as the scallops. Also everyone and their brother serves squash soup around then, maybe come up with something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Lunch & Days OutingLadybug2850girlDined on 11/5/2014Our lunch at the American Bounty at the CIA was a wonderful experience. Just entering the CIA grounds is just breathtaking in its self. The menu had many choices to pick from. Food was excellent and the presentation extremely creative. The hot rolls are delicious but don't fill up on them because you will want to save your appetite for everything else. Our waiters were very attentive, and helpful in answering all our questions. In all the reviews I had read they were negative in reporting on the service, not so at all. Perhaps the CIA listened and addressed the problem. We look forward to going back. There is so much more to explore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014We had a wonderful first time dinner at the CIA. Will be very happy to return for another great dinnerI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedMikeDined on 11/4/2014I had been planning a trip to the CIA for years, but won't be going back anytime soon. The place is pleasant, but the service is very uneven. Lots of attention, but very few smiles and a couple of grumbles. The Purée of Butternut Squash soup was wonderful, but the Grilled Portobello Mushrooms, Spinach was bland, greasy and not very healthy tasting. I didn't finish it. The Chocolate & Pumpkin Layer Cake for dessert was just gross. After two bites I was done. My friend had Bourbon Apples, Sticky Toffee Cake and only ate one bite. Wanting to give the place another try, we went back the next day to have lunch at the CIA's The Apple Pie Bakery Café. That was even worse. I have checked the CIA off my bucket list and have checked it off period.
- always worth the moneymanancibineDined on 11/4/2014American Bounty remains a place where the quality of the meal is far above the price you pay .Meals are very well prepared .The students try hard to please .Special Features:
- Great dinnerTR0820Dined on 11/4/2014What a wonderful place to eat. The food was great. Desserts were fantastic. Drink prices were a little steep.Special Features:
- Lovely NightBiuntifulDined on 11/4/2014Our dinner at American Bounty was even better than expected. Food was perfect and service was charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Should Try HarderNYCmomVIPDined on 11/1/2014We went to American Bounty Saturday night for dinner. We were seated at 7:30. The Waiter took our order. At 8:30 we asked for some bread. At 8:40 we told the waiter that if we didnt get something to eat in the next 5 minutes we were leaving. He admitted that he forgot to put our order in and rushed the chef to get our appetizers out. The pretzel bread rolls were delicious when we finally got them. The butternut squash soup, mussels and onion tart were wonderful for appetizers. there was only 2 little scallops on one appetizer, not worth it. The problem was with the service. I got my soup, but no soup spoon. I got my steak, but no steak knife. We got dessert but no utensils or plates at all. There was a maitre d' there, but he never showedSpecial Features:
- A favoriteNoNickname52Dined on 11/1/2014whenever we're in the area. The food, quality and presentation were excellent. I gave it a "good" service rating solely for the fact that these young people are students, and the time they're spending working in the restaurant is a learning class. Highly recommended. In the times we've dined at American Bounty I would sometimes compare it to being better than dining in a fine dining establishment for the mere fact that some of these talented students will be the movers and shakers in the future of fine foods/hospitality sector.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love American BountylovetocookDined on 10/30/2014We both cook and don't eat out much because our food is better than that in most restaurants. But the American Bounty is definitely worth the effort of going out! The room is beautiful and the food wonderful. My husband even ate all his brussel sprouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMarstayDined on 10/28/2014I was so looking forward to a memorable experience at American Bounty. We traveled 2 1/2 hours to get there and I have to say it was not worth the trip. I found the food to be underwhelming. The Brioche rolls were warm and savory. The watercress salad with figs was a minute portion with little taste and almost no walnuts.Tthe mac and cheese, was a mixture of ingredients that just didn't blend together. We both had the 2 different fishes which were ok but nothing special. The side dishes were also just so so. We didnt stay for dessert because I wanted to try The Bakery which proved to be a better experience.
- Not as good as it should have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014I have been to the CIA a number of times before, but this past Saturday was NOT a good day for them. My food was good, but not CIA standard. Service was terrible! Our waiter was not good, and has a lot more training to go before he could work in a high-end establishment. I'm surprised that they had him on the floor. He needed help, and it didn't seem like there were any instructors mentoring him. There were 8 in our party celebrating my father's 74 birthday, and we were actually laughing at the service (good thing we had a sense of humor).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dee2512VIPDined on 10/25/2014We had a lovely lunch on a beautiful day in Hyde Park. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- understated eleganceMikenSueNYDined on 10/24/2014I have always had an exceptional meal at American Bounty, and this time was no different. The students who wait on you are being taught to do everything properly, so they are formal - but still friendly. They are happy to answer questions, and will find the answers if they don't know them. The flavors of the food are wonderful, and the menu includes combinations that I would not have considered, but always work well together. The little rolls that are served hot would be enough to make me come back. It takes me about an hour and 45 minutes to drive here, but I do it whenever I can. It's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful servicecindyDined on 10/23/2014While in Poughkeepsie for a meeting we dined at the CIA's American Bounty . The food was tasty with a lovely presentation. The bread was especially delicious as was the dessert. We enjoyed the wine recommended from the Finger Lakes region of New York. We will definitely come back. As a matter of fact we are going back today to enjoy the Apple Pie Cafe for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough LuckPSUCowboyDined on 10/23/2014Per the waiters recommendation I went with the duck. Although it was cooked medium rare, it was too tough to eat. I could not cut it with a fork and it was extremely difficult to cut with a knife. I should have just stayed with a nice steak. This is not typical at all based on previous dining experiences at CIA. I guess you can get surprised anywhere.Special Features: