American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.americanbountyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 845-471-6608x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
A word from American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
With a focus on the seasons and products of the Hudson Valley, contemporary and traditional regional dishes are brought to life at the American Bounty Restaurant in a truly honest and flavorful way. Rounded out with a first-class American wine list and comfortable warm service, this casually elegant restaurant sets the stage for an unparalleled dining experience in New York’s Hudson Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
321 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (206)fit for foodies (190)great for lunch (106)romantic (103)scenic view (96)notable wine list (67)good for groups (59)neighborhood gem (33)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- Superb diningsogoodDined on 8/26/2014This was the second CIA NY restaurant we tried and it did not disappoint! Outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday, August 23rdOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time this past Saturday at the American Bounty. We all felt that the food was excellent and that we were served well and treated well by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dinner with FriendsSouthernBelleDined on 8/23/2014Three friends from England/Canada and I enjoyed dinner on Saturday night at the American Bounty. In previous visits to AB I felt this experience was not quite as good. The service was a bit spotty in that one waiter was inattentive while another was nicely attentive. The food was good but not spectacular. The wine (Pinot Grigio) was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedClarkcatDined on 8/23/2014I have been to the CIA Amercan Bounty many times and after raving about it to my friend, we decided to make an event of it and go. Mind you we live 3.5 hours away. After making reservations months in advance, we are almost forgotten in the bar( drinks never came until we were already seated). We were placed in the area that is the main entrance to the kitchen, when other tables were open- we did request different seating. Service was very slow, clumsy, non overly friendly. Surprised to see they did away with cheese course option Food was ok, not great. side dish was overlooked. Ok I realize these are students, albeit, not first years. I expected better, as I have experienced it there previously. Not sure I would return. Sad to saySpecial Features:
- So-SoChrisDined on 8/23/2014I already knew that the cooks and servers are students so I didn't fully expect the food and service to be perfect, but they were close to unacceptable levels from our experiences. They even missed a dish and brought it later. Servers had no idea of who ordered what but only knew how to fill water glasses very well. Some dishes were overcooked and cold. The rolls and coffee were very good though, but this is not a cafe/bakery.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed our lunch and talking with the wait staff about their studies and future careers. The waiters (who we know are aspiring chefs) are a little too awkwardly attentive but as parents of kids the same age we understand. ....It added a personal touch to the wonderful experience....Thanks...My wife said it was the best scallops she has ever had....I thoroughly enjoyed the duck which I have never had before..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014I have always enjoyed going to the CIA and this experience was no different. The students (my waitress was going to graduate in just three weeks) are so pleasant to talk to and eager to please. This time though, the appetizers were better than the entrées Short ribs were fatty and the rib eye was thin). The menu changes, but we enjoyed for appetizers the goat cheese tart and shrimp and scallops over polenta. The mussels were so-so. The service was first class though, and we wish the students well.Special Features:
- AMAZING!kiwi411Dined on 8/22/2014The scenery was breathtaking with views of the mountains and water. The host, maitre d' and wait staff were all wonderful - they were very personable and made us feel valued as customers. The wine list was great and the food was just incredible (hard to believe students prepared it). We started with the most delicious, freshly baked rolls (still warm from the oven). My 1st course was the radiccio salad topped with a lightly fried boiled egg & crouton - delicious! I had the scallops for entree and it was just perfect. Afterward we strolled through the courtyard and took pictures of the sites and bought a keepsake at the gift shop. I highly recommend this experience to anyone who is looking for a 5-Star experience at a very reasonable cost.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!hvdinerDined on 8/22/2014We went with friends to enjoy good food in a relaxing setting. The menu selections were excellent and it took us awhile to make our selections. For starters we had the crab salad, wild mushroom and mussels. All were good equality. We had also the sea scallops, bass and lamb. All were very tasty and cooked to perfection. Now the desserts were out of this world. We shared several. My favorite was the lemon tart with pickled black berries. The staff was attentive to our needs and very friendly. I would recommend eating here for a special treat with good friends and family.Special Features:
- Excellentcng1998Dined on 8/21/2014It was a fine dinning experience like I had never had. The students were very knowledgable and friendly. I wish them the best of luck! Hats off to the bartender as well. He made great martinis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!!!DiglDined on 8/21/2014This is our second time at American Bounty at the CIA and we are just as pleased with this dining experience as we were the first time. The food is absolutely delicious, not to mention a work of art. The service staff was very attentive and the ambiance, classy without being stuffy. We highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencePerleyDined on 8/21/2014This is the second visit for us to CIA. We took the tour of the school before dinner, the treatment you get in the restaurant is not to found in the area we live. (greater NYC). We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the best.HydeParkGrannyDined on 8/21/2014We are an elderly couple who enjoy having a "special" evening dinner with our out-of-town son for his birthday. Thursday evening the dining room was full, and the staff was kept busy, but they were efficient and friendly as always, our meal was enjoyable as always, and delicious as always. Over all the Culinary, both American Bounty and the Bocuse dining room, remain a pleasure that we are happy to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try for the adventurousjeffwDined on 8/20/2014Interesting dining experience ...... this is a cooking school, and all of the work done by students.... the overall experience is great and the food was very well done, but you must check the menus before you go, the food is gourmet and not to everyone's taste, the service was a bit clumsy but we had a great meal.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014I can't even begin to explain how much of an incredible time we had. From the friendly welcoming to the incredible menu. The servers were very professional and knowledgeable. It was very difficult to narrow down our selection, as the menu options all looked amazing. The faculty supervising the students were also very professional and friendly. We had a group of 7 and everyone in the group had an incredible time.Special Features:
- Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We ate at this restaurant several times over the years. Always very pleased! This time we were very disappointed. The service was very poor. Waiters did not know whom to serve. We ordered the duck Medium Rare and got Well Done. The waitress did not even inquire whether we liked the food!! The desert was tasteless! That will teach us never to make reservations on the second day of a new semester. Charles De Mets
- great bounty at BountykenzDined on 8/20/2014The restaurants at CIA are a well conceived idea. The Bounty dining room is handsome and bright with lots of huge windows. Food was very good to wonderful, particularly the sweet corn bisque, with a bit of spice, the delicious dorade with crispy sprouts, and the blueberries & chocolate dessert. Students provided attentive, pleasant service. Although the dining room is informal, and diners dress casually, a formality remains due to its CIA location and decor. It would be good if servers felt freer to share their personalities. After lunch we enjoyed walking the halls to watch students working with food; good that students were welcoming game for visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience.ArledDined on 7/25/2014It's great to find a place to dine where attention is paid to every detail in the dining experience. Although students do all the work, one can see that great attention is paid by the teachers to see to it that their training is exacting and thorough in all phases. Happy to be there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Significant BirthdayAblythespiritDined on 7/25/2014We had hoped for perfection for this celebration and PERFECTION is what we got. The food was amazing and the waitstaff was outstanding. So glad we chose American Bounty to honor our friend's 75th birthday. She felt so very special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experienceDrandMsSDined on 7/25/2014We visited the CIA during a New England trip up from Houston. What a unique dining experience, from the fabulous view of the Hudson, the elegant CIA campus, the ambiance of the restaurant, and more. Fabulous service and equally terrific lunch, it made our already special occasion even more so (when the Vanderbilt Mansion tour is anticlimactic, wow!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewverygoodfirstexperienceDined on 7/25/2014Service: excelelnt, MacKenzie (?spelling) was notable. wild musroom soup heavenly. Corn chowder robust hearty and delicious. Bread excellent house salad OK, Grilled asparagus very good but the rhodekeo (spelling?) was too bittler, it drowned out the rest of the taste. Bass was "wonderfully tasty". Lamb was very tasty. One Desert needed to be shared, we were too full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at it's BEST !birthdayboBDined on 7/24/2014Food, service, were not to be surpassed ! Creative drink specials at the bar ! All lent itself to a wonderful evening & a memory to last a lifetime ! Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American BountyKat711Dined on 7/24/2014Great food, beautiful presentation. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet dining, worth the driveLInglinglisaDined on 7/24/2014We drove our family of 6 approx. T90 minutes to try American Bounty at the CIA. From the moment we arrived, we were pampered to an incredible gourmet experience. The waiters were knowledgeable and attentive. The food was creatively prepared and scrumptious. We shared tastes from each plate for each course: appetizer, entrees, and Of note, the goat cheese tart and the sausage appetizers; the short ribs, chicken, and salmon entrees were deliciously prepared. The dessert menu was incredible, making it hard to choose. The peaches and cream was possibly the best of the 6 we tried. Overall, excellent food with excellent service at a very fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed visitEnjoyfoodDined on 7/24/2014There were a few problems with my food, otherwise it was a fun experience. I carefully read my menu description and it made no mention of cilantro, a flavor that I hate. If I was ordering Southwestern or Mexican, I would have asked. The pieces of cake on my my dessert couldn't be cut with a fork, it was uneidible. I demonstrated this to my waiter and there was no apology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingwillcomebackDined on 7/24/2014Was able to sit at seat and watch food being prepared. FUN. Service was impeccable. Like having doggie bad held at the front desk.Special Features:
- Lovedit2Dined on 7/23/2014We had a wonderful experience. The food was delicious and the service very attentive. The room is beautiful. We have recommended the restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeLion1Dined on 7/22/2014The food and service are outstanding and it is wonderful to dine in a restaurant that is associated with one of the finest culinary schools in the world! The student staff is well trained, friendly and extremely knowledgeable! It is a 5 star gem!!!!Special Features:
- Staff was excellent, food was good.annivcelebevacDined on 7/22/2014When we arrived they couldn't find our reservation then when they found it they said the computer said we were already seated. They had to find another table to seat us but did so it wasn't a problem. It was a nice experience except for the fire alarm at the end. We probably would have had an after dinner drink or more coffee but chose to leave not knowing how long we'd be delayed. I felt particularly bad for the people who had just received their dinner. I recall years ago they bread basket was very nice with a large variety and I asked for glueten free that took forever to come and was not very good. It was our 30th Anniversary celebration certainly will be memorable!Special Features:
- gabby's delightfoody4youDined on 7/22/2014We were impressed first by the ambiance and then the first rate service and food We have been to many fine restaurants but this is as good as any. The waiters were very knowledgeable and were able to answer every question.The food was served beautifully to all at the same time and the dishes removed only when everyone was finished. A first rate experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining EleganceCIAGRAD81Dined on 7/22/2014I have been looking forward for years to return to the CIA to experience the new restaurants. My dining experience was beyond my wildest imagination. The food was exceptional and each and every student exhibited a desire to do their jobs with perfection - and succeeded. The food presentation, flavorings and variety were all expertly executed. I can't wait to return to experience the other dining venues available to the public. Kudos to all of your students.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food & serviceTeachDined on 7/22/2014The food was excellent and the service was impeccable. The students serving us were very professional and eager to please.Special Features:
- Brilliant dessert, OK otherwise.nycadventurouseaterDined on 7/19/2014Lemon tart was stellar, but, of 2 apps, a salad, and 2 entrees, only 1 app was notably good. Asked to describe the roast chicken with morel sauce and bread pudding, our (not brand new) awkward student waiter said "fresh, moist, and [main emphasis] the biggest portion of any of the entrees." The (dry, bitter, chalky) bread pudding turned out to contain more chicken liver than bread. The waiter earnestly congratulated me on being the first to correctly guess the contents (not a hint of irony). My wife suggested he tell the kitchen it might be a good idea to mention the liver as an ingredient on the menu. He runs off, then dutifully returns with: "Chef thought that if they mentioned it, people might not order the dish." Crunchy frog anyone?
- Recent VisitFabulousDined on 7/19/2014Our meal was absolutely fabulous. They were kind enough to sit us by the kitchen so our niece, who was with us for a cooking class and to celebrate her 12th birthday, was able to watch what was going in the kitchen. She was delighted when greeted with a Happy Birthday and was so happy to see it written on her dessert plate. From beginning to end a perfect meal!Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 7/19/2014We were not knowing what to expect at a school enviroment. The food was good except for my dessert which was just not what I had expected. the waitress seemed a little akward in her position but overall wasnt good. Little things like she didnt ask if we wanted coffee when she took the dessert order. then never came back to se if we wanted more coffee. overall it was an enjoyable evening and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ciareviewDined on 7/19/2014Wonderful experience meeting the students and seeing them doing their best to please. Definitely going back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed resultsCJBFDined on 7/19/2014The service was excellent, the ambience uplifting, but the food was a problem: The fish was over cooked, the lamb chops over salted and a bit less rare than expected, the rolls rich but perhaps also to salty, the deserts more artistically plated than palette pleasing. The CIA has done better in the past - and we expect will do better in the future. Still an adventure.Special Features:
- Great DinnerSteveVIPDined on 7/19/2014I set up dinner for me and two amigos as part of a visit to the area. Kaitlin, our server, was totally attentive without being intrusive. The food was amazing. A Wonderful experience for all involved.Special Features:
- Memorable food!lexyDined on 7/19/2014My first CIA restaurant experience and I was not dissappointed! The food was delicious and the service was exceptional. The CIA should be very proud of their students who did an amazing job cooking and serving us foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MoelabDined on 7/18/2014We came here for my wife's and my, joint Birthday. The food and service was what we expected for the CIA. The prices were a little lower then Manhatten pricing and the wine list had a good listing. We were a little disappointed with the deserts, but that wouldn't stop us from returning.Special Features: