American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.americanbountyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 845-471-6608x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
A word from American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
With a focus on the seasons and products of the Hudson Valley, contemporary and traditional regional dishes are brought to life at the American Bounty Restaurant in a truly honest and flavorful way. Rounded out with a first-class American wine list and comfortable warm service, this casually elegant restaurant sets the stage for an unparalleled dining experience in New York’s Hudson Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
390 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (258)special occasion (245)romantic (123)scenic view (117)great for lunch (116)notable wine list (93)good for groups (86)neighborhood gem (43)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (10)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- OrdinarySharpDined on 10/17/2014We went to this restaurant about 15 years ago and had a wonderful dinner. This time, the menu was geared towards the seafood lover. Filet mignon...my husband's staple with menus like this, was no where to be found. We chose the squash soup and bourbon glazed chicken. The soup was attractively finished with swirls, but the taste was just ordinary with no zip at all. The chicken did not have a lot of flavor with the boubon glaze not significantly adding to it. The bread was fabulous. It was not as if anything was horrible...just ordinary. Price 2 value lacking.
- A Culinary TreatSaraFDined on 10/16/2014A wonderful evening from the service to the atmosphere and especially to the meal. The menu was inventive, offering a variety of seasonal dishes. The food was delicious and priced well given the quality. It was interesting to speak with the servers, all finishing up with their studies. The restaurant was open and airy with an elegant feel. A wonderful experience overall. We'd love to return and try the other restaurants at the CIA.Special Features:
- A Surprise Awaits YouOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014My reservation confirmation did not mention a group setting (although the people at the table were charming), in many situations dining out is a personal and romantic evening. Perhaps you could inquire if this particular occasion warrants a group of people as opposed to the persons making the reservations. The soup was wonderful. Tea was ordered. By the time the lemon and honey arrived the single cup of tea was long gone. This was not our first time dining at the CIA, but this time lacked the professionalism and delicious foods of previous times.Special Features:
- Not up to expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014We were promptly seated and after that we were totally ignored by the entire staff. after a long wait we asked floor manager if we could order cocktails and sometime later we placed our order. after a long wait again we were served our cocktails along with our soup, which by the way was barely warm. it would have been nice if we had time to enjoy our cocktails before throwing the soup on our table. basically for the entire evening our table was ignored and passed by. When it came time for coffee we once again had to ask the floor manager for coffee service, even as several waiters passed by our table with cups and coffee. The staff was totally dis-organized for the entire evening.
- Retired Culinary Instructor from HIOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014My husband and I were joined by my adult daughter, a professional food photographer from Seattle, Washington. Each of use ordered an appetizer, an entrée and a dessert. It was a delightful lunch experience: the food was delicious, the plating was creative and beautiful, the service was attentive, and the setting was very relaxing. It was a wonderful venue after four hectic days in New York City. Thank you for allowing me to check one item off my retirement bucket list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than we anticipatedPhilatwoDined on 10/15/2014The Culinary Institute is worth visiting. The campus is impressive and seeing the chefs-in-training in the teaching kitchens was enjoyable. We had great expectations for our meal. The menu and wine list were very inviting. The servers were friendly but inexperienced, surprising considering that they were a few weeks from graduation. Our appetizers - mussels and mac and cheese - were quite good. Our entrees, duck breast and lamb loin, ordered medium rare, were both overcooked, and the duck was barely lukewarm. We were surprised that there was not better communication between the servers and that there was no apparent supervision by a faculty member in the dining room.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating at the CIAOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014I have eaten at all of the restaurants at the Culinary Institute of America, except Bocuse, many times and have always enjoyed a delicious meal. I enjoy talking with the wait staff to find out their experiences while attending the CIA. It is some times hard to get a reservation for the exact day you want, it is important to keep trying. It is worth it.Special Features:
- Good not great42ofakindDined on 10/11/2014Everything about the restaurant was good to very good. Nothing quite made the great category (unless you consider the location and campus, which are both amazing). The food was tasty, though nothing that I would say is a must order if I go again. Overall, a satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014What a gourmet delight! The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful with suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Wait Nothing But the BestJeanneDined on 10/10/2014Reservations way in advance are necessary, but well worth it! Remember to ask questions to the students/waitstaff. They all have interesting stories and you can't help but to get wrapped up and excited for their future careers in the finest of eating establishments! Food was fantastic and portions were just right, from the Starters to Dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious except for the squash soup; First it was served to us cold and then when they brought it back I thought it was too bitter. The duck was out of this world and the chocolate pumpkin cake was scrumptious.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencebobhDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I had dinner at American Bounty on October 10. The food was excellent (she had a ribeye steak and I had braised shortribs. Everything about the meal was excellent. We had some very interesting conversations with the CIA students who served us (what intelligent young people!) and were given a tour of the kitchen after our meal. Our visit was part of a 3 day trip to Hyde Park. We'll go back to Hyde Park one day -- and make the CIA part of that visit as well.Special Features:
- A return visit.AreturnvisitDined on 10/10/2014We celebrated a 50th birthday with family and friends in 1991 with dinner at the American Bounty and returned there yesterday with visiting family from Denmark for lunch. Both meals are happy memories, one old and one new. The CIA and its various restaurants, diners and light fare Apple Pie have all been visited over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Motivated staff, good food & valueENLfromHawaiiDined on 10/10/2014Very nice setting. Staff flexible and adjusted reservation. Parking challenges sine it was also a potential student tour day. Food was very good and prices reasonable. Student servers were motivated and tried hard but seemed less experienced than those at Bocuse. Make reservations since the campus was packed and the Apple Pie Cafe had really long waits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doing a wonderful job, keep it up!BeBeDined on 10/9/2014Plating was excellent and the service was impeccable. The staff went over and above than most upscaled restaurants I have been to in the past. I have not been to the CIA for 5 years and the service and food was better than I remembered. Excellent job! I will return as soon as I return from San Francisco to the Hudson Valley.Special Features:
- a little disappointingredhattersDined on 10/9/2014we came as a group of eight. our overall "star" recommendation was good. the food was very good but received a good rating because we did not feel the choices were in keeping with the restaurant name. american bounty suggests local in-season products, yet missing were the winter squashes, apples, and meats prepared in an "american" fashion. i must say that the polenta was the best i have ever eaten- but it was italian based, not american styled with whole corns or herbal seasonings. we understood that the servers were students but it was awkward and slow. and finally, the lunch price reflected a more sophisticated experience. it did not compare as favorably as the french restaurant where we dined last year.Special Features:
- Our Visit 10/8/14SteveDined on 10/8/2014Overall a very enjoyable experience. The variety on the menu was much appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Had an enjoyable evening at American Bounty. Service was excellent and the food was good except that entree was only lukewarm when served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a delight!HunnybunchDined on 10/8/2014This was our third visit to the CIA. It is always a pleasure. The food is beyond good. The service is always superb. I just wish I could learn to cook like they do. The short ribs tasted sensational and I would give anything to learn their recipe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American Bounty RestaurantSummerof75Dined on 10/8/2014Service was excellent. Food was good. For the price, maybe the servings a little larger. I know I'm "spoiled" by the large American plate of today but $11 for an appetizer of seared scallops and I received 2. 4 would have been more appropriate. $9 for salad. It was an average salad but tasty. $24 for the chicken plate. Chicken had a nice savory flavor but a little dry for the breast. Dessert $10 for the Peanut Butter and Jelly pastry. I found the dessert to be a little "dry". The jam was superb. The dollop of ice cream good. However, being a peanut butter fanatic I could not taste the peanut butter cream. I thought it had been left out. All in all, a nice night of dining with a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we were expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Our first experience at the American Bounty restaurant was very poor. The food was what I would expect at a diner. The beef I ordered was mostly gristle and my wife's pasta dish was al dente to the point of being uneatable. The pumpkin seeds in my soup were burned and the dessert choices were totally without reference to the season. All in all a very disappointing experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Could not have been more pleased. Exceeded our expectations. Previous reviews indicated that the entree portions were small but we did not find that to be the case. Our message to them..."keep up the good work"!!Special Features:
- It was a very pleasant experiencemadmad1Dined on 10/7/2014First time dined at the CIA, good selection of food on the menu, excellent presentation and we had a good time. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American Bounty ReviewlvciaDined on 10/7/2014Touring CIA with Monica ahead of time was a real treat in preparing us for our memorable meal at American Bounty! Our waiter was Ore who was very professional, friendly and confident. We both enjoyed the prime rib of beef which was delicious. The ambience was quiet (except for a few loud women across from us). We were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary and treated ourselves to dessert. Ore recommended the pear special which was out of this world and arranged for our petite fours to be served on a plate with "Happy Anniversary" written on the plate. Too bad our camera was in our car! Introduced us to the art of food pairing. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeWeWereJustHungryDined on 10/4/2014Really good food, but staff seemed very harried and not so attentive. Chef could be heard yelling loudly even through heavy glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre BountyCA17Dined on 10/4/2014Maybe it was the pre-meal hype, maybe it is just that my wife and I have experienced many fine dining experiences in NYC and LI, but we were both somewhat disappointed with American Bounty. There are beautiful views outward but many tables, including ours had me staring at a wall, and my wife looking into the glassed kitchen area. Not great. All service was extremely polite but somewhat lacking precision. For the money I can think of several other restaurants that I would choose that are equal or superior to the American Bounty. I would cautiously recommend it to others, but my recommendation would be conditional
- Worth the trip!WorththetripDined on 10/4/2014Six of travelled from Nassau County planning to spend a fall day in Hyde Park sightseeing. The weather was terrible but we made the trip for dinner - it was definitely worth it and we all agreed we'd be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulTimfromPADined on 10/4/2014Our lunch at American Bounty was not only a wonderful meal, but also a delightful experience. We enjoyed every minute from first being seated through finishing our delicious cake. Service, presentation, taste and more -- all outstanding. This was a high point of our visit to Hyde Park!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/3/2014disappointing. I expected really delicious food, and it was not. The girl at the front desk was rude when asking directions, and very difficult to handicapped diners.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Very good service. Outstanding salads. Enjoyed a nice surprise of sweet treats at the end of our meal. Overall experience was very good.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experience.MarylandVisitorsDined on 10/3/2014We had a group of 8 close friends who all raved at the quality of food, service and ambience. This is the best upscale dining without any pretense or false airs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JennyDined on 10/3/2014We were very excited to go to the Culinary art Institute and the American bounty restaurant. The tiny appetizer of the foie gras was amazing, and the scallops were wonderful. The salads were pretty big and flavorful,but the chicken I ordered as an entree, was somewhat dry and flavorless. My husband ordered the red fish and was very happy with it. The student waiter was excellent and accommodating through out our meal. We also got to see the pastry chefs in action in the window in the restaurant. Had a wonderful time in a very interesting and inspirational place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014This was very ordinary food, and hardly worth the price. Only one of our four dinners could be rated even slightly above average. My wife had a a rib eye that was of a quality you might expect at a Lone Star Steakhouse or some such similar mid level chain restaurant.
- Food loversNorge1219Dined on 10/3/2014The CIA is always a treat. The innovative menu is a culinary delight. That together with the idea that your server might be the next famous chef and the breathtaking views of the Hudson make it a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CIA American BountyWeekenderDined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed the overall experience. The food was outstanding. The service left much to be desired. It needs to be a bit more buttoned up.Special Features:
- Delicious and GF!CIADelightDined on 10/2/2014First of all, what a beautiful campus! We walked around and enjoyed the pretty scenery before we went in for a delightful meal. The students were perfect wait staff, both knowledgeable and friendly. The food was amazing and incredibly well priced! I'm a Celiac, and my boyfriend does not consume any alcohol, so normally we're a difficult duo to accommodate at any restaurant. Much to our surprise, though, his alcohol-free diet was easily managed, and there were more than enough options for me on the menu for my gluten-free lifestyle! The biggest surprise was that before our meals came, they brought freshly baked rolls for him, and a few freshly-made gf rolls for me! I was in pure heaven, and everything was made to perfection for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening to rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Wonderful experience for a night out. The dinner was well prepared, served and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- farm2tableDined on 10/1/2014Every course was delicious, fresh and presented beautifully. Staff courteous and very helpful in explaining dishes. The most enjoyable dining experience we've had in a long time! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40 years in the making2FoodLoversDined on 10/1/2014Portion size of the entree is quite small. If we hadn't ordered from the Starters menu we would have been hungry at meals end. Service was good at the beginning but our servers (2) both seemed to have been moved to other locations and not able to give us the required attention. My wife was finished eating before we saw the server and he inquired about our meals. We had asked for the wine list before our entree arrived and never got the opportunity to order from it until my wife was finished eating and I was close to it. One annoying thing was the way we were asked if they could remove empty dishes and even the empty beer bottle. Was it worth waiting 40 years to get to the Institute? Not sure I would even wait more than a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ridetodinnerDined on 10/1/2014The food was excellent. IT was on par with anything I sampled from my dining experiences at CIA. The Students who waited on our table were attentive, gracious and courteous. The only negative about the experience was the wait time in between courses.. That is the only reason for four out of five stars. I will be back again..Special Features: