American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY 12538Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.americanbountyrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 845-471-6608x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
Dinner: 6–8:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
A word from American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America
With a focus on the seasons and products of the Hudson Valley, contemporary and traditional regional dishes are brought to life at the American Bounty Restaurant in a truly honest and flavorful way. Rounded out with a first-class American wine list and comfortable warm service, this casually elegant restaurant sets the stage for an unparalleled dining experience in New York’s Hudson Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America - Best Restaurants in Hyde Park ›
American Bounty at The Culinary Institute of America reviews from OpenTable diners
333 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (224)fit for foodies (203)romantic (112)great for lunch (109)scenic view (102)notable wine list (74)good for groups (72)neighborhood gem (33)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014A wonderful dining experience; the students have a passion for food preparation and service that is admirable.Special Features:
- Always ExceptionalMassDinerDined on 9/13/2014The students and staff always do an exceptional job. The menu changes with new surprises on every visit. We go there 2 or 3 times a year and it's always a treat. Two of us had steak, one had the chicken and one had duck. Each meal was perfect and the miniature breads are my favorite. I always find a new wine to try out as they have several available by the glass. It's also nice to see that they feature wines from the New York region. You will not be disappointed. Dinner will take a while, so don't be rushed; just sit back and enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We've been planning to dine any of the CIA restaurants. One perfect weekend, we were able to have a reservation at the American Bounty Restaurant. The campus has an impressive setting! We arrived on time and we're given the best table with the view of the future chefs all busy in the kitchen. The service was great and fast pace. The local cheese board was indeed appetizing and flavorful also the Mac and cheese. The mussels with house made chorizo was delectable as well as the pan-seared bass and rib-eye steak both perfectly cooked. The blueberries and chocolate was so delightful. Indeed, as a first timer, we had a wonderful experience. We'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We had an amazing experience and made a wonderful date night out!Special Features:
- Must VisitjoeandjoeDined on 9/12/2014If you are into cooking this is a must see. The campus is beautifully landscaped withi great views of the river. All students and faculity have such a pleasant attitude, they stop to talk about what they are doing, very will to answer questions. This was a wonderful suprise, sorry it took so long to get there, will definitely be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceJE12hpDined on 9/12/2014Having been a relatively frequent customer of the restaurants at the Culinary Institute for both wine dinners and special student events we've had both good and not so good experiences. When we've dined at the three restaurants on other times we've usually had nice experiences but I have to say that this dining experience was the best we've had to date. We noticed that the portions seemed a bit larger than in the past and each course was both satisfying visually and pleasing to the palate. The service was excellent and the students we encountered were pleasant, friendly and professional. We intend to visit again soon.Special Features:
- OzzieoutDined on 9/12/2014Food was outstanding, service was impeccable, just a terrific experience being served by the students. We even got a kitchen tour by the maître d after dinner. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone who loves fine food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulfoodspecialoccasionDined on 9/12/2014We really enjoyed the table where we were seated and the attention lavished on us. My husband liked the wine suggested with him meal.Special Features:
- american bountyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I would recommend this restaurant because of the overall experience. It is fun to see and talk to the students who are always very pleasant. At our table 2 people had duck which they said was just ok. they both said it was tough. We ordered the side of mac & cheese and for $6.00 it should have been better. The swordfish dish was very good. The fois gras was so small one could hardly taste it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014The food was creative, well-prepared and beautifully presented and the atmosphere was very pleasant. Unfortunately the service was completely sub-par for a culinary institute that prides itself on correctness. Servers were 12 days from graduation, yet we encountered numerous service infractions -- a 20-minute initial wait for our wait person, food served with specific dietary constrains ignored, and several courses served to the wrong diner. Overall a disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Yum while learningYummyDined on 9/10/2014Great food, service and learning experience for both the patron and the CIA students. Questions were answered, detail to food and comfort etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful decor2foodloversDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed ourselves at this restaurant. The food was good + to be served by the students was a real treat. The American Bounty was a great way to celebrate a special occasion. We especially loved the corn soup + the salad appetizers. The salmon was wonderful. The only down side was the reduction sauce on the short ribs was a little too strong + the chickpeas were a bit hard. It was still an edible dish . The dessert did not disappoint at all. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rigl36Dined on 9/6/2014Wonderful dinner - creative menu and beautiful ambiance. Timing of courses a little off- but that is what leanring is all about. All in all, a wonderful meal!Special Features:
- Great pre-birthday celebration!Beaconfoodie42Dined on 9/6/2014The food was delicious and staff accommodating when they found out I was gluten free. I enjoyed the local cheeses and the sea bass was done perfectly. I experienced fava puree for the first time hesitantly and thought I would hate it but loved it.Special Features:
- American Bounty ExperienceDinnerBelleDined on 9/5/2014I have been to the American Bounty many times and absolutely enjoyed my dinning experience. This last time was not as pleasant. We were seated next to a table of some very boisterous people. My appetizer was delicious. I anticipated my main course because I have ordered the same thing in the past. The beer braised short ribs had great seasoning but was a slab of grizzle and fat. It was a very poor cut of meat that should never have been served to anyone. I was very disappointed. The staff were apologetic and gave me something else. I will still return to the American Bounty.Special Features:
- Heaven on the Hudson!LaxMomDined on 9/4/2014Amazing food! The signature drink was fantastic! Staff is professional & attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal as alwaysChachDined on 9/4/2014Never disappointed in American Bounty. Students do a great job in every aspect. Congratulations to CIA for setting and maintaining the highest standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingKRDARSDined on 9/4/2014Outstanding service, food and ambiance. However we would have liked a window seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to SchoolJohnLDined on 9/3/2014Always a good meal at American Bounty. Would love to go to classes there. If you love food, you'll love the Culinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left a impression:)dinner42Dined on 8/29/2014Dinner was AWESOME and service was very nice. Ordered two after dinner coffees and both were HORRIBLE! took one sip and left them on the table and server never asked why? That was a little strange, but dinner was great. When we go back would no order special coffees again.Special Features:
- ImpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014Very accommodating of dietary requests. Excellent food well-presented. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- celebratory lunchhappy3someDined on 8/29/2014We were so impressed with the grounds at CIA that we were in high spirits for our meal. Students were professional and friendly, as were the supervisors. Food was nicely presented (including birthday wishes on 2 of the desserts). Favorites: macaroni & cheese appetizer, scallops, chocolate medley. Will gladly return to try the French & Italian restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at the CIA American BountyEatToLiveLiveToEatDined on 8/29/2014The staff was very attentive and helpful with describing the menu choices and wines. The ambiance was elegant yet fit for the common man. The menu choices were excellent with something for every pallet. We started with the Mussels with House-Made Chorizo and the Local Cheese Board with House-Made Charcuterie. Both excellent appetizers. I had the Berkshire pork chop with chorizo and my wife, the Pan-Seared Sea Scallops. Each entree was done to perfection. We finished with the best dessert that I have had in many years: the Peaches & Cream. The prices were very reasonable for the excellent quality of the meals. Strongly recommend the American Bounty for your dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mandatory 17% GratuityasdfasDined on 8/29/2014Everything was great, only spoiled by the end when they present you with the bill. Included with the bill is an explanation why 17% has been added to the total, emphasizing student support as the primary reason. Normally, I would never leave only 17% at a restaurant like this, and it would seem a more valuable experience for student wait staff to understand why patrons leave varying tip amounts. The policy and the explanation are completely puzzling and disappointing.Special Features:
- snowbirdDined on 8/28/2014We had an outstanding meal . Food,service,ambiance & presentation made for a wonderful eating experience.We ate at the American Bounty & enjoyed it so much we returned the following day & had lunch at the Apple Pie Bakery & Cafe, another CIA restaurant. If your in the Hyde Park, NY area don't miss this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very pleasantcamyDined on 8/28/2014food was uneven - some dishes were very bland. Lamb, pork chop, scallops were very good. A cocktail with ginger as a component was almost undrinkable. Roasted chicken is better at my house. Mussels were great - desserts were pretty good. Port wine ice cream and figs were almost tasteless. But thte overall experience was very pleasant - setting was good and wait staff was very attentiveSpecial Features:
- Will be visiting again and againSwissFoodieDined on 8/27/2014We enjoyed a memorable evening at the American Bounty. The entrees were 'American classics' in perfection. Both the rib eye steak and the short ribs were perfectly prepared. The sides were absolutely nice too. The desserts were very creative, with a contemporary twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out2dineDined on 8/27/2014Everything was wonderful from outrageous mac and cheese, the different entries, dessert and the mind blowing coffee drinkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth the trip from NYC.happyeatersDined on 8/27/2014Service, decor and food presentation made this an enjoyable trip and the food is extremely tasty and wonderfully prepared.Special Features:
- Superb diningsogoodDined on 8/26/2014This was the second CIA NY restaurant we tried and it did not disappoint! Outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday, August 23rdOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time this past Saturday at the American Bounty. We all felt that the food was excellent and that we were served well and treated well by the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dinner with FriendsSouthernBelleDined on 8/23/2014Three friends from England/Canada and I enjoyed dinner on Saturday night at the American Bounty. In previous visits to AB I felt this experience was not quite as good. The service was a bit spotty in that one waiter was inattentive while another was nicely attentive. The food was good but not spectacular. The wine (Pinot Grigio) was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedClarkcatDined on 8/23/2014I have been to the CIA Amercan Bounty many times and after raving about it to my friend, we decided to make an event of it and go. Mind you we live 3.5 hours away. After making reservations months in advance, we are almost forgotten in the bar( drinks never came until we were already seated). We were placed in the area that is the main entrance to the kitchen, when other tables were open- we did request different seating. Service was very slow, clumsy, non overly friendly. Surprised to see they did away with cheese course option Food was ok, not great. side dish was overlooked. Ok I realize these are students, albeit, not first years. I expected better, as I have experienced it there previously. Not sure I would return. Sad to saySpecial Features:
- So-SoChrisDined on 8/23/2014I already knew that the cooks and servers are students so I didn't fully expect the food and service to be perfect, but they were close to unacceptable levels from our experiences. They even missed a dish and brought it later. Servers had no idea of who ordered what but only knew how to fill water glasses very well. Some dishes were overcooked and cold. The rolls and coffee were very good though, but this is not a cafe/bakery.Special Features:
- CTYankeesDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed our lunch and talking with the wait staff about their studies and future careers. The waiters (who we know are aspiring chefs) are a little too awkwardly attentive but as parents of kids the same age we understand. ....It added a personal touch to the wonderful experience....Thanks...My wife said it was the best scallops she has ever had....I thoroughly enjoyed the duck which I have never had before..Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014I have always enjoyed going to the CIA and this experience was no different. The students (my waitress was going to graduate in just three weeks) are so pleasant to talk to and eager to please. This time though, the appetizers were better than the entrées Short ribs were fatty and the rib eye was thin). The menu changes, but we enjoyed for appetizers the goat cheese tart and shrimp and scallops over polenta. The mussels were so-so. The service was first class though, and we wish the students well.Special Features:
- AMAZING!kiwi411Dined on 8/22/2014The scenery was breathtaking with views of the mountains and water. The host, maitre d' and wait staff were all wonderful - they were very personable and made us feel valued as customers. The wine list was great and the food was just incredible (hard to believe students prepared it). We started with the most delicious, freshly baked rolls (still warm from the oven). My 1st course was the radiccio salad topped with a lightly fried boiled egg & crouton - delicious! I had the scallops for entree and it was just perfect. Afterward we strolled through the courtyard and took pictures of the sites and bought a keepsake at the gift shop. I highly recommend this experience to anyone who is looking for a 5-Star experience at a very reasonable cost.Special Features:
- Great dining experience!hvdinerDined on 8/22/2014We went with friends to enjoy good food in a relaxing setting. The menu selections were excellent and it took us awhile to make our selections. For starters we had the crab salad, wild mushroom and mussels. All were good equality. We had also the sea scallops, bass and lamb. All were very tasty and cooked to perfection. Now the desserts were out of this world. We shared several. My favorite was the lemon tart with pickled black berries. The staff was attentive to our needs and very friendly. I would recommend eating here for a special treat with good friends and family.Special Features:
- Excellentcng1998Dined on 8/21/2014It was a fine dinning experience like I had never had. The students were very knowledgable and friendly. I wish them the best of luck! Hats off to the bartender as well. He made great martinis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!!!DiglDined on 8/21/2014This is our second time at American Bounty at the CIA and we are just as pleased with this dining experience as we were the first time. The food is absolutely delicious, not to mention a work of art. The service staff was very attentive and the ambiance, classy without being stuffy. We highly recommend it.Special Features: